Thank you for designing a range-centric game.

From the bottom of my heart, really.

All the while leveling up you build me up as this heroic Sith Juggernauht, the Champion of the Dark Side, Emperor's Wrath,.. what have you.

Then I get to L50 and do some HM flashpoints... only to realize that every single one of them favours ranged tanks and ranged DPS over melee.

There is nothing more disheartening to me than wait for a game for 3 over years, roll an absolutely iconic class - only to realize that it the end you are nothing more than fodder compared to bounty hunters, troopers, agents, and smugglers.

Thank you you utterly destroying what Star Wars means to me.

The sign of a lazy development team in MMO's are when that team designs pretty much every boss encounter with mechanics that only punish melee classes.

SWTOR is one of those games. What makes it even more pathetic is that the most iconic classes in the game (Jedi, Sith) are primarily melee.

SWTOR is shaping up to be an epic failure of an MMO. Worse than any of us ever imagined.

Edited by ValaxDarkseer

From the bottom of my heart, really.

All the while leveling up you build me up as this heroic Sith Juggernauht, the Champion of the Dark Side, Emperor's Wrath,.. what have you.

Then I get to L50 and do some HM flashpoints... only to realize that every single one of them favours ranged tanks and ranged DPS over melee.

There is nothing more disheartening to me than wait for a game for 3 over years, roll an absolutely iconic class - only to realize that it the end you are nothing more than fodder compared to bounty hunters, troopers, agents, and smugglers.

Thank you you utterly destroying what Star Wars means to me.

Yeah I kindof agree in SOME cases, like the current Rancor fight, its insanely hard to do on HARD mode if you dont have 7 dps and 1 good healer, and 6 of those 7 at least should be ranged or your melee dps will die a lot due to the rancor's Frontal AoE hitting the wrong side of him at times.

Also 2nd and Last boss in EV, Gharj, if you have too many melee it takes too much healing from his AoE, and last boss, getting to the mindtraps and to the boss takes a little bit of time off overall dps, so in some cases, the fights are more suited and easier for Range DPS Classes

Did 8 man HM bonethrasher with 3 melee a couple nights ago and he was a joke. We even had a full tank spec powertech and hybrid tank juggernaut. Your doing something wrong on that fight.

All those jumps you juggernauts get and you dont use them? You have a friendly and enemy leap so stop complaining. Only valid point here is Soa cannot be leaped to. Just interced to the tank when pillar falls?

Im a 43 assassin and so far I love it. This is starting to make me think. I hope I have a lot of fun at 50 with this guy. Seems real weird that the popular classes (sith/jedi) are gonna not tank/dps as efficiently as expected.
You can do it, just be prepared to be disgusted once you see how easily ranged can do it better.

The worst part is that this realization blindsides you at 50 when you do HMs, there's really no lead up to it while leveling or in normal modes.

Yeah I kindof agree in SOME cases, like the current Rancor fight, its insanely hard to do on HARD mode if you dont have 7 dps and 1 good healer, and 6 of those 7 at least should be ranged or your melee dps will die a lot due to the rancor's Frontal AoE hitting the wrong side of him at times.

Also 2nd and Last boss in EV, Gharj, if you have too many melee it takes too much healing from his AoE, and last boss, getting to the mindtraps and to the boss takes a little bit of time off overall dps, so in some cases, the fights are more suited and easier for Range DPS Classes

These are not "some" cases, you are describing most of the raid content in the game. Add to that the turrets at the beginning of EV. Also add in the fact that there are strict enrage timers and melee spends too much time running between targets (not every melee class has a gap closer).

The point is not whether melee can do it or not, think of a boss a melee group can kill, you bet ranged can do it better, faster and with less risk. Constant knockbacks on most of the bosses makes melee lose their dps while ranged can max their dps out in the distance. Splash dmg also is an issue. Also it's not that ranged is more squishy, they are on par with melee on survivalibity.

Also some classes like scoundrel/operative and shadow/assassin needs to position themselves behind the bosses to maximize their dps, which can result in unplesant deaths due to knocked back to some hole etc. while ranged dps are roflstomping the boss from wherever they wish.

It's undenieble the game favors ranged. I'm a shadow tank and I didn't encountered a situation where a ranged tank could do better so I can't actually comment on tank situation but I can understand the dps.