(L,F&E 89) Who Says the Bad Guys Never Win?

kalenath

<Aboard a starship, somewhere>

“What…” The voice of the dark mass of microscopic machines that called itself master of many beings was cold and severe. His hands were touching his subject who was grimacing, trying not to scream. “…Happened?” Firdlump was not happy.

“I don’t know.” Vandar Tokare said slowly, his face a study of worry. Of course, he had reason to worry. Being strapped to a table while a mass of insane nano machines toyed with him might disconcert anyone. “We had her. It cost us, but we had her. Menglan was working on her, everything was going as planned. Everything was on track. And then… Ravishaw dropped Min off and everything seemed to go to hell.”

“Ravishaw…” Firdlump moved his hand and Vandar screamed as energy played across his form. “Min did not have the ability to resist, to do what you say she did.” He withdrew his hand and let Vandar recover for a moment. “What did Ravishaw do to her? His feelings for the Bothan healer are strong. Did he know about her?”

“I don’t think Ravishaw did. I think it was Bob.” Vandar said after a moment of panting. “If Ravishaw had known, he would have boarded. I might have been able to stop him if he was in a rage, none of the others could. You know how he feels about Menglan. If he knew that Menglan had Ona, he would have left nothing but bodies in his wake, you know this.” He screamed again as Firdlump pressed the control again.

“You left the girl for him to find.” Firdlump’s voice was neutral now. “Melan tried to keep the truth from me, pity about Melan, but we can make another copy.” Vandar carefully did not look at the other table in the room, one that had a dark furred form strapped to it. A still in death dark furred form. Melan had lasted a long time under the Master’s wrath, but eventually, he had succumbed and died. “You wanted him to do something.”

“What you were doing was stupid.” Vandar said testily. “Blatant, and stupid. You would not have been able to hide what you did to her. The Seven would have come after you, us. It is too soon. The fleet you have assembled is mighty indeed, but against the Seven?”

“Six, Vandar.” Firdlump said absently, toying with his prisoner. Power hissed on and off, then on and off again. Each time energy sang around the captive Jedi, searing, burning. “One of them is dead now.”

“Dead but not gone.” Vandar said slowly, trying to keep from screaming as energy flowed through his body. “The Seventh is not gone.”

“I know.” Firdlump said with an evil smile. “I am working on that. It must have been that meddling thing called Bob then. Again! They just will not leave well enough alone. We need to figure out how to do something about them.” He sighed. “The Sitolon have subverted all our agents among the nanites. Their encryption is… interesting and complex. It will take quite some time to get through their firewalls, to get to the main processors. Without Agnosa’s interference though, it should simply be a matter of time.”

“Should.” Vandar smirked. “Just like it should have been easy to subvert Ona. You are slipping, ‘master’.”

“Yes…” Firdlump said slowly, making Vandar freeze in place. “Yes, I have been. I have been slipping, letting my good nature get away from me. No more.” He laid a hand on Vandar’s head, despite the Jedi’s now desperate struggles. “Sleep, Vandar. When you wake, you will be a new being. A dutiful servant as opposed to a rebellious one.”

No!” Vandar screamed as power pulled him under. Firdlump concentrated on him for a moment and then smiled before turning to another table nearby. The female form stretched out on it stared at him, her form listless.

“Ah, my poor Menglan.” The mass of machines said sadly. “Those bugs hurt you. Pity.” Now his voice was noncommittal.

“I…” Doctor Menglan was crying. “I have always been a dutiful subject… Master… No…”

“Yes, you have, doctor.” Firdlump said quietly. “But you have been subverted. It was hard to find, hard to trace, but I saw you talk to her last night, even if I could not hear what you said. Not your fault. Anyone can walk into a trap. But I cannot afford a servant who is not 100% loyal now.” His hand was gentle as it touched her head, but she screamed as power flared. “Sleep, doctor. I will make them pay.”

“No!” Menglan cried, but her scream of denial turned into a rasping gurgle as her body melted. In seconds all that was left was a pile of gray goo, and even that vanished as Firdlump put his hand over it, sucking the residue and its power into himself.

Firdlump shook his head and started for the door. At the door, he paused and frowned. “Ki Lom.” His voice was flat and a small shadow stepped into view and bowed silently. “Clean up the mess, take Vandar to the lab. Tell them, stage six. They will know what to do.”

“Yes, Master.” The boy in Jedi robes bowed deeply and stepped back.

“All right…” Firdlump mused as he made his way through the silent halls of his flagship. “What assets do I still have? Vandar will be useful for some things after the brainburn, but not for much. The clone of Menglan will be ready tomorrow… So… Hmmm…” He moved into his main chamber and started flipping through screens far faster than human could follow. “Wait a moment…” he paused, his eyes flicking back to a previous report. “What is this…?”

He pulled up the small screen into a larger one and started reading. As he did he smiled, an evil smile that grew wider and wider.

“Pity about Jaken, he was such a good agent.” Firdlump said quietly as he finished reading. “Well… Let’s see if we can find the Stormhawk… How do they remain supplied? The Mandos they associate with wouldn’t do it. Couldn’t do it…” The humanoid form vanished as the machines that made it up seeped into the data conduits of the starship that Firdlump called ‘base’. It was much faster to peruse that data that way. After a few moments, the form of the man reappeared.

“Well, well, well… Cranna the Hutt…” His laugh was sour. “Right out in the open and no one bothered to look. Time to let the Senate hear of some of her real dealings and to deal with that slug with a personal touch.” He keyed his com, not that he needed to, but it helped to stay in practice for anytime he needed to fool people, he was good at acting human. “Captain, set course for Tattooine, full available speed. We have an appointment at a med clinic.”

Now this was more like it. Kunda Gev was now a happy man. With everything else that had happened recently, his life had seemed to be taking nothing but turns for the worse. Between attempting to take a bounty on someone that he hadn’t known was way beyond d his abilities and getting ARRESTED by police of all things, being captured, brainwashed and turned into a pseudo agent by Imperial Intelligence, being caught by REPUBLIC intelligence and nearly turned into a puppet by them, and THEN being caught by a Sith who wasn’t a Sith, and working with Jedi who were not Jedi… It was just too confusing. He was happy to be back on solid ground again. Sort of.

“Eyes on.” He said as the ship he had been watching for landed in the docking bay. He was concealed amongst the myriad sensor antennae that served the Mos Espa docking area. It was a precarious perch, but fear of heights or falling never entered his mind. Some of that was likely due, as his current partner claimed, to lack of brains. But part was the rush. “Olandas, you getting this?”

His partner was ensconced in a hover van more than a klick away, working the gear that was her life.

“Yes.” Her sour voice was quiet. “Who…” Now her voice held fear. “Is that who I think it is?” Gev hit his magnifiers and nearly fell from his perch as he recognized the human form that was striding towards the exit now as if he owned the place. Senator Donal Firdlump, Republic Representative from Raltiir. Also known as Firdlump, mass of microscopic machines and one of the most dangerous beings in existence at the moment.

“Firdlump…” Gev’s voice held horror. “Olandas, warn everyone!” If HE was here in person… Gev suddenly felt seriously exposed on his high perch, even though no one was supposed to be able to see him. He had seen so many horrors done by the thing that looked human’s minions… “Stay where you are!” His eyes flicked here and there, then paused as he saw another armored form step out of the ship, then launch towards him. ”Belay that! Olandas, Code red! Go dark and stay that way. Good luck.”

The armored form landed nearby and stayed where it had landed. It did not need visual enhancement such as were on Gev’s armor, or even to look hard to see him, and Gev sighed as he stepped out of the shadows. He sized up his opponent, human, male, heavy armor and jetpack. Another bounty hunter.

“What is it going to be, pal?” Gev asked sourly when the armored form didn’t move. “I don’t have all day.”

“No, you don’t.” The human said offhandedly as he stepped forward, his weapon hand free and ready. Gev stiffened. Did he know that voice? “Bad idea, siding with the Senator’s enemies, but profitable for me.”

“Who are you?” Gev asked as he cleared his own gun hand. Something was very familiar here. Very WRONG and familiar.

“Wouldn’t you love to know?” The other hunter said with a smirk in his voice. “Go ahead if you think you can, boy.” Gev stiffened. What the frack? Something was VERY wrong here. This… He looked at the armor and his guts went cold. This man was wearing a suit similar to his own armor! And not the same kind he had worn before being captured by Imperial Intelligence! The one he was wearing. That was impossible, The suit he was wearing was a prototype, one of a kind. Even the markings were the same. Kunda Gev shook his head slowly.

“Let me guess.” He said sourly. “You gonna take my place?” The other armored form did not move. “Minor problem with that, pal…”

“No problem at all.” The other man said quietly. “You see… Imperial Intelligence is good, Special Branch is better. Much, much better.” Gev went for his gun but then he froze. He couldn’t move! He grunted as the other armored form approached slowly. “Don’t worry, Gev, you won’t feel a thing.” Gev was struggling as the man or whatever he was produced a needle and stabbed him in the neck with it. “Nitey nite, scumbag…”

Gev was still fighting as darkness pulled him under.

Senior Technical Lieutenant Olandas was scared. She was no fighter, she was a tech. She was no slouch with a blaster or vibroblade mind you, but she was also not anywhere near her partner’s ability in combat. So when he told her to run, she took him at his word. She put the hover van into gear and started it off careful to obey the traffic signs. The last thing she wanted to do was draw official attention. She was minding her way through the city when an errant landspeeder came careening out of an alleyway and slammed nose first into the side of her van. One look at the armored forms in it had her gunning the accelerator. Not drunk drivers. A snatch team! She snarled and hit a warning to her allies as she weaved the van away from the landspeeder that was following now, through the traffic that had stalled on sight of the collision. A quick glance at her com had her snarling, Jammed. She was on her own. She hoped the warning had gone through, but she couldn’t worry about that. She made sure her straps were tight and focused on driving.

It was quickly apparent that the driver of the landspeeder behind her was a better driver than her, and the speeder was souped up to the max to boot. It pulled even with her, only to take a broadside hit from her and slam into a roadside cart. That bought her a little time. She skidded, nearly losing control as she flew through the small settlement, trying to find somewhere to hide. But there wasn’t anywhere. Then something flashed in front of her. She screamed as she saw the bright plume of a rocket moments before it impacted the side of her speeder, slamming it at full speed into a wall nearby and driving her into instant unconsciousness. She never felt it flip end over end, coming to rest upside down. She never felt it when armored hands pulled her roughly from the wreckage before tossing a thermal detonator into it. She certainly never felt the hands strap her to a gurney and put her into the battered landspeeder before driving off.

“I am afraid I don’t know what you are talking about Senator.” The image of the facility’s chief administrator said respectfully. “We are under quarantine. No one in or out. If you want to come in, you are welcome to. But then… If you try to leave, the guards will gun you down.”

“Look, Miss Katherine…” Senator Donal Firdlump said with exaggerated patience. “I know that this place is a staging area for the Stormhawk. You know it. I have been directed by the Senate to find out where they are, and apprehend them.”

“I see.” Katherine said softly. “And no matter what I say to you, you are not going to believe me, so… Whatever.” She sat back with a shrug.

“Just like that?” Firdlump said, surprised. ‘You will help me then?”

“No.” Katherine said, her face impassive.

“Miss Katherine.” Firdlump sighed. “That ship is a threat. I am directed to neutralize the threat. One way or another.”

“Can the crap, senator.” Katherine said sourly. “You want the Stormhawk as a flagship for Special Branch and your own plans for galactic domination.”

“What have you been reading?” Firdlump laughed heartily. “I am a servant of the people…” He paused as Katherine laughed. What?”

“You are good, Senator.” Katherine said with a smile that was only slightly forced. “Very, very good. But I have been lied to by professionals most of my career. You want the Stormhawk? You won’t find her here. And Cranna ceased all operations through here a more than year ago. So go right ahead, threaten me, her, everyone here. Are you going to put implants in our heads? Why not use those machines of yours?” Now her voice was vicious.

“Doctor…” Firdlump said, placating, but Katherine was just getting started.

“I know your people are loose in the city, making a mess.” Katherine said with a snarl. “I can’t send medevac teams until you are gone. I know that you are trying to get your machines past our defenses and eventually you will succeed. Go right ahead.” Katherine said with an acid edge to her voice. “I don’t know where Cranna is. I don’t know where the Stormhawk is. They are very careful to keep me from knowing. We are under quarantine. So… Come on in. Maybe our weapons can’t kill you. But I am willing to bet they can hurt your pawns.”

“Okay, doctor.” Firdlump said with a smile. “If you are so worried about these people…I think I know what to do.”

“Go away?” Katherine asked sourly.

“No.” Firdlump said as he keyed his comlink. “Look up, doctor.” She looked up from her monitor and blanched as the sky turned green. The laser blast from the ship in orbit hit less than hundred meters from the clinic, melting the sand of the desert in that location to glass. “Since we understand each other so well…” He said as she turned an ashen face back to the camera. “I don’t want the other people inside. I want you. Alone and unarmed. Now. Or I start ordering them to take pieces off the building. We can do that, we are far more precise than regular Republic navy fire control.”

“There are children in here, you son of a barve!” Katherine screamed.

“I know.” Firdlump said with a smirk. “You have five minutes, doctor.” He cut the com.

Firdlump was smiling widely three minutes later as Katherine came out of the main facility, her hands in plain sight. The short medical tunic she wore wouldn’t conceal a hold out blaster, let alone anything that could hurt him.

“Well, doctor. All that defiance wasted.” Firdlump said as he took her hand. She shuddered, but did not resist as he led her away. “It’s okay, doctor. All I wanted was you.”

“Bastard…” Katherine grated out, but did not resist as she led her to a waiting speeder.

“Technically true.” Firdlump said as he eased her in and then followed her. She shied away from the armored form that sat nearby but Firdlump shook his head. “Don’t worry, doctor. You won’t feel a thing…” She did not flinch as the armored form produced a needle and injected her. “There, doctor. That will make you feel better.” He turned to the front of the cab. “Tell the Courageous to open fire. Obliterate the clinic.”

“What…” Katherine said, fuzzily trying to struggle now in the armored hands. “You said…” A loud rumbling was heard and she shrieked weakly. “No…”

“I never said I would leave them alive, doctor.” Firdlumps aid with a grin, “I wanted you and I got you. Now I am sending a message to Cranna and the Seven. One they will have no- What the…?” He exclaimed as the landspeeder rocked.

“Sir…” the armored form said deferentially. “The clinic erected an energy field over the town. It is military grade. It is deflecting the Courageous’ bombardment away, towards the open dunes. We are getting caught in the splatter.”

“Very well. Discontinue the barrage. We got what we wanted. I am sure both the Republic and the Empire will be interested in how Cranna got top of the line hardware anyway. We can count on them to snoop around and make messes.” Firdlump sighed as he patted Katherine’s leg. “Cranna always did have surprises on top of surprises. Did we get the other?”

“Yes sir.” The armored form said. “She will be waiting for us when we get back to the ship.”

“Good.” Firdlump smiled as Katherine’s eyes drooped shut. “Pleasant dreams doctor. When you wake you will be a new, better person.” He patted her head in a possessive way. “You are mine now.”

Firdlump was smiling widely as he entered the medical bay of the battleship Courageous. The newest clone of Doctor Menglan did not look up from what she was doing. He did not interrupt her. Rewiring a brain was tricky, even for someone who could manipulate nanomachines. Finally, she stepped back and he nodded to her. The only sounded were the beep of machinery and the occasional sedated groan from one of the many patients around the bay.

“Report.” His word was the first spoken in the eerie silence that clouded the medical bay.

“The implantation of neural controls in the Cathar doctor is complete.” Menglan said deferentially. “The newest clones are available for your inspection…” She broke off as Firdlump waved impatiently.

“Yes, yes…” He said quietly. “Vandar? The new doctor?”

“The Cathar implantation was a success.” Menglan nodded to a table nearby where a female form lay strapped down. “We will have to see how she reacts when she wakes. Vandar…” She winced. “He is apparently using the nanites against the implants. Whether it is conscious or unconscious, I cannot say.”

“I want him docile, doctor.” Firdlump said in a mild voice that was somehow menacing as well. “Not excuses. The Imperials?”

“The tech was badly hurt in the crash.” Menglan said quietly. “Multiple broken bones. She should exit the tank in an hour or so and we can start her own reprogramming. The bounty hunter is resisting, but he is starting to break so we should be able to implant him within the hour.”

“And the Bothan agent that Cranna captured?” Firdlump asked as he looked around “Where is she?”

“We had to lock her in a closet in a straitjacket.” Menglan said with a wince. “She kept trying to fondle the orderlies. Whatever Cranna did to her to break her, really broke her. There is nothing left in her mind but lust.” Firdlump looked at her oddly and Menglan nodded. “You could clone her, but…” She shrugged. “She would still be a nymphomaniac. We are not getting anything from her.”

“Very well.” Firdlump said, dismissing the problem. “Dispose of her. Use her parts if you can, if not, no problem, just get rid of her before she causes any trouble.” He paused as Menglan shook her head slowly. “What?”

“Apparently…” Menglan was musing. “Cranna used her for somewhat gentle interrogations. Might she be useful for that?”

“Mercy, doctor?” Firdlump said with a scowl. “If she is no use to the collective then she is no use. Why waste time with her?”

“Efficiency, master.” Menglan said quietly. “We have her, we may be able to use her. If nothing else, she will be useful for breaking wills faster. Pleasure apparently works faster than pain. Odd, but apparently true.”

“Hmmm… Interesting. Very well doctor, you may have a point.” Firdlump said quietly. “Fine, she is your problem. If she gets out of hand, put her down.” A low groan sounded from nearby and he smiled as Menglan turned to where the Cathar lay restrained to the bed. “Katherine, good morning.”

“What have you done to me…? Monster…?” She asked groggily.

“Doctor…” Firdlump said with disappointment in his tone. Menglan nodded and hit a control. The Cathar shrieked and then slumped in her straps. “Let’s try this again. Good morning Katherine.” The Cathar turned dull, uncurious eyes at him.

“What is your command? Master…” Katherine replied in a monotone.

“Much better.” Firdlump said with a smirk. “I expect you to tweak that. I want her bright eyed and bushy tailed. I want her excited to be helping us usher in a new world. She will be your assistant, doctor.”Menglan nodded and returned to her controls. “Even without Ona of the Bladeborn, I think this will work. We needed more skilled medics. Ona would have been perfect bait for our true quarry, but with you and our newest catch, the birth of our new order should go off without a hitch. Carry on doctors.” He was whistling a jaunty air as he strode from the bay.

“Twisting a mind is an art, not a science.” Menglan said quietly as she worked controls. “It is as much trial and error as it is planning. Each mind is different, each person is different. Do you understand?”

“Yes, doctor.” Katherine was a far cry from the kindly medic she had been in Cranna’s employ. Now she wore the same uniform as Menglan and her face was stern as she watched the human doctor work. The metal headgear that she wore was connected directly to parts of her brain, allowing for direct connection and control. The implants inside her skull guaranteed obedience, but Menglan was working on efficiency now.

“We have time.” Menglan said quietly as she finished the connections to her latest ‘acquisition’. “She will make an excellent member of the collective we are forming when we are finished molding her.” Tech Lieutenant Olandas stared up at her, eyes wide, but she couldn’t do anything, even speak. A tube down her throat was breathing for her, and coincidentally was blocking her speech. “This one is yours, dear Katherine. Her injuries were severe, but she has made a full recovery. She is fully cognizant now, and the drugs have made her quite pliable, despite her Imperial Intelligence training.”

“Thank you doctor.” Katherine said as she stepped forward, hands going to the controls of the mind warping apparatus. She swung the hood down over Olandas’ head, ignoring the pleading look that came over her features. “Level One?” Katherine asked quietly, and then she paused. She grimaced, her face working. “I… No…” She winced, her head shaking.

“Silly girl…” Menglan said sadly as she reached up behind the healer and touched a control on the back of the head. The Cathar froze in place and her face became stern again. “I see we need to up your dosage again. No problem. Eventually, the episodes will become fewer and fewer. Then they will disappear altogether. You are ours, Katherine. Now and forever. Come on, chop, chop…” She waved at the machine.

Katherine nodded to her superior and started working controls. A sound that might have been a scream through a tube came from under the hood, but both females ignored it. The Cathar focused on the readouts and spoke evenly.

“She is resisting at points seven, twelve and fifteen.” Katherine might have been discussing the price of ice on Hoth for all the emotion she showed. “Her body temperature and heart rate are elevating. Her body is reacting with…” She blinked and looked at Menglan. “She is reacting with extreme pleasure…?” She looked confused. “Is that normal?”

“Hmmm.” Menglan said as she leaned over to peruse the controls. “No.” She said after a moment. “What…? She enjoys pain? That is odd…” She looked disturbed for a moment and then shook her head. “We can work with that though. Counter with pleasure at points eighteen, twenty seven and fifty six.” Katherine nodded and did as instructed. “That got it, her brain is settling into the new patterns. It won’t take long for her brain to be rewritten to our specifications. How do you feel?” Menglan asked when the other doctor had finished.

“Cerebral connection has now been completed. Physical discomfort is minimal.” Katherine replied slowly. “The dreams continue despite the higher dosages you prescribed.”

“They will for some time.” Menglan said kindly. “They are a remnant of your old life. You have been reborn into a new and better one, but nothing is done without pain or regret. Your implants have taken root, you are free. Free to be one of us. Free of doubt, pain and fear.” A light flashed and Menglan smiled. “And now, we have a new sister.” She undid the hood and the face that was revealed was calm, almost completely devoid of anything human. “Good morning, young one. This is your first day in your new life.” Senior Tech Olandas stared at her, eyes wide. Tears started falling from the bound human’s eyes and Menglan’s tone turned gentle. “There, there, child, don’t cry. It’s okay. You resisted. It hurt you, I know, but you will not have to worry about anything now. We will take care of you. Sleep.” She keyed a control and a sedative had Olandas drifting off quickly. “She is ready for implantation of the neural linkages. Come, let’s move her.” The two women lifted the backboard that Olandas was strapped to easily and shifted her to a droid motivated gurney.

Katherine followed the other doctor into another room. The gurney that Olandas was on followed. Menglan waved at a large machine in the corner and the gurney moved there, sliding the board that Olandas was on into a slot designed for it. The machine closed about her head and shoulders with a click.

“This is the easy part.” Menglan said proudly. “It is all automated and won’t take long. Until they are programmed on the basic level, they can struggle in the machine, cause irreparable brain damage. The master…dislikes when that happens. After the implants are done, we continue as we have with you. So, Katherine, what questions do you have?” Katherine shook her head and Menglan sighed. “Come on, girl. You are brighter than that. What questions do you have?”

“Why?” Katherine asked, her tone wooden. “Why do this? This is inefficient. Slaves do not perform as efficiently as free workers, this is a known and proven fact.”

“True.” Menglan said quietly. “But you are not a slave, Katherine. Well… You were when you arrived. You fought the programming. But now… Now you are free and we can finish your in-processing.” Menglan smiled at the machine and nodded. “She will be a half an hour and come out ready to go to work. We will want to keep an eye on her for a day before inducting her completely, just in case of implant rejection or infection. But YOU are ready.” She took a gentle hold of Katherine’s arm and eased her towards the door. “Come…”

Katherine was silent as Menglan led her through the silent ship until they reached a dark room. Katherine did not resist as Menglan led her to a chair, sat her down in it and strapped her in. She did not even blink as Menglan lowered a hood around her head and connected an IV line to her arm.

“Wouldn’t want you getting dehydrated.” Menglan said with a smile as she finished up. “There we go.” She stood back and surveyed her work. “You are really going to enjoy this.” Something changed and the room suddenly came alive with patterns of light and power. A gasp came from Katherine but then she was weeping. Not from pain, but from overwhelming joy.

“It’s all right.” Menglan said quietly as Katherine cried. “Your life WAS pain, but now that is over. Now you serve a greater purpose. We will bring order to the galaxy. We will bring peace.” Menglan’s voice was suddenly coming from many places at once. “Welcome to our new collective mind, sister. You will be great asset to us.”

“I… serve...” Katherine’s voice was quiet. “I serve the collective.” She said as the light played across her body.

“Yes.” Menglan smiled evilly. “Yes, you do.”

“How are you Katherine?” The soft voice had the doctor pausing in her work. She jumped as she realized her ultimate boss was standing right behind her.

“Master, I am sorry, I didn’t see you!” She exclaimed as she jumped to a pose of attention.

“Katherine…” Firdlump said with mild exasperation. “It’s okay. I wanted to check on you. You have been… well… busy.” She had been working around the chrono to optimize the ways to induct new ‘recruits’ into the collective.

“There has to be a way to improve the reception, master.” Katherine said quietly. “What we do now is inefficient, and it hurts the recruits. Programming, implantation then more programming… It just… There HAS to be a better way. There has to. If we can improve the reception, then you can spread the collective faster, maybe to a whole planet at once.”

“I know, I have looked for a better way. I have tried that, Katherine.” Firdlump said sadly. “It didn’t work.”

“May I ask what happened?” Katherine asked softly. She was far cry from the beaten down, broken wreck she had been in the week after she had been ‘acquired’. She no longer wore headgear, her implants took care of all of that now. Her head fur was growing back and her face was almost always smiling now. Her doubt and fear was gone, replaced by drive and purpose. “If I am not being forward or anything…” She stammered slightly, unnerved by his sudden look of interest.

“You are not.” Firdlump sighed. “It just didn’t work. To put it simply, I do not have the processing power.”

“But…” Katherine put her hand to her head.”‘The sheer power that you, we…share… It’s amazing…” Her smile was wide. “I was so afraid. I didn’t understand. We could do so much good, if we could spread the collective faster…”

“I am glad you think so.” Firdlump said with a smile. “But as in all things, there are limits.” He smiled as the Cathar bit her lip and shook his head. “Yes, I do understand your thoughts. We share our thoughts now, Katherine, at lightspeed. No secrets, no hidden lies. No deception, no conflict.”

“No war, no fear, no hate. All the same, one in the collective.” Katherine said with a shiver. “I…I was so stupid…” She was crying now and Firdlump took her hands in his.

“Dear Katherine.” The mass of intelligent machines said kindly. “We are doing what we can. Olandas is working on the ancient Sitolon encryptions. That girl can give me a run for my money in sheer thought power… If she can break the encryptions, then we will have access to the main processors on the Sitolon homeworld. If not… Then we need your work to succeed. How is it going?”

“Well…” Katherine sighed. “It is going.” She said dubiously. “If the subject hadn’t been so badly hurt…” She shook her head. “I understand that she is a copy of a traitor and should not be coddled, but… Breaking a test subject before we can use her is inefficient.”

“Agreed doctor.” Firdlumps aid quietly as he looked through a viewport at a writhing mass on a nearby chamber. “So… How is our newest subject?” Katherine sighed.

“She is not responding to the treatments now. The reprogramming is not taking.” The doctor shook her head. “Nothing I do seems to break her connection to the hivemind. She is receiving help from them somehow. I have no idea how.”

“Cut off her antennae.” Firdlump said softly. “Even if she terminates, we can use her for raw material, as we have the others.”

“Yes master.” She nodded as she strode form the work room, entering the other room. “Min… It’s okay, girl… Easy…”

“Please don’t hurt me no more…” A terrified young female voice called from the mass of silk in the middle of the room. “I can’t help you…”

“Yes you can, Min.” Katherine said with a sad look as she pulled a laser scalpel out of her pouch. “Just relax girl…” A quick slice and she pulled a flap of silk away from a wet silver head with two waving protuberances. Katherine took gentle hold of one of them. Min screamed.

“OW! No…!” Min cried. “No… I will do anything… Anything!” She screamed louder as Katherine sliced the antennae off at the base, her howl of agony becoming a shriek of pain and loss. Katherine calmly cut the other one off and replaced the flap of cocoon. She froze, the cocoon was not moving any more. She shook her head as she looked at the readings. Life signs had terminated.

“It is too traumatic.” Katherine sighed as she called a droid to remove the dead cocoon. “We need to find another way to cut the connection.”

“Agnosa managed it, somehow…” Firdlump’s voice held hate and Katherine’s link to the group mind she was part of now supplied the cause. Another traitor. “If she hadn’t been unclonable, we would not have this problem.” He paused as he realized Katherine was not looking at him. She was studying the screen. “What?”

“I don’t think she died naturally. This is… almost as if she suicided.” Katherine said slowly. “I think the hivemind killed her, to keep us from freeing her.”

“So they will keep doing it.” Firdlump sighed. “That does not help us.”

“Actually…” Katherine’s voice was thoughtful. “Hmmm…” She looked at her readings and her face was creased in thought. “It might…”

“How so?” Fiedlump asked carefully.

“If the subject were isolated from the hivemind somehow, the subject would be pulled to whatever they felt first, correct? Similar to a baby animal imprinting on whatever they see first if their mother is killed or flees.” Katherine was shaking her head slowly as she read the displays. “But I know of nothing that can block telepathic signals.”

“I do.” Firdlump said with a smile. “What do you need, doctor?”

“Time.” Katherine said with a sigh. “This is not going to be quick, or easy. But if you give me the next clone, before anyone hurts her, I can change her and make her think I am her mother.” Firdlump’s eyes went wide at that and Katherine smiled. “And what is the one thing Sitolon respond to better than anything else?”

“Matriarchal influence.” Firdlump said, a slow smile creeping across his face. “I like it, doctor. “

“But…” Katherine shook her head. “For this to work, she has to BELIEVE that I am her mother…” She looked at Firdlump and grimaced. “For THAT to work…”

“Menglan will stay away.” Firdlump said with a nod. “She is busy adding new subjects to the collective anyway.” Katherine blinked and her gaze turned inwards. Then she smiled tenderly. Firdlump nodded with a matching smile. “Indeed, doctor. You have been a bit distracted. I was worried about you.”

“I can do this, master.” Katherine said quietly. “But it will not be easy or quick.”

“We have time, if not an unlimited amount.” Firdlump replied. “I will get teams started building you a nursery. You need to brush up on Sitolon mannerisms. If you are going to play a mama bug, you better do it right.” There was no mistaking the menace in his tone.

“I won’t fail you, master.” Katherine said as she pulled up texts to start studying.

“Why am I tied up?” The terrified girl asked for the third or fourth time. “What have I done?” The droids that had carried her in and strapped her to the table did not acknowledge her and she was steadily growing more frightened as the droid departed.

“Easy young one.” A soft, kind female voice spoke from nearby. “You have done nothing, The straps are for your safety. You are in no danger, young one. We will not allow you to be in danger.”

“Who are you?” The girl exclaimed. “I can’t see!” She had no way of knowing that a gas was being fed across her face, a soporific and mild analgesic. Or that her memories were being filtered and twisted through a machine that surrounded her head now. All that she knew was that she was drowsy, confused and very frightened.

“That is normal for this stage, Min.” The kind voice continued. “Your optic nerves have detached from your eyes. You are starting your change. Easy…” The soothing voice calmed her slightly.

“Change?” Min asked, even more scared.

“It’s okay, Min.” The temperate voice was calming. “Your body is changing. This is nothing to fear. You will remember…” The voice paused and was cautious now. “What do you remember?”

“I was in tank…” Min said slowly, obviously this female was not going to hurt her. She hoped so anyway. “I feel odd.” The female voice sighed.

“Min, someone has genetically changed your body.” Min stiffened, but the voice soothed her again. “I will not leave you alone. You are not alone. You will not BE alone, Easy, girl. It’s okay. I told my master that you are mine now.”

“Yours?” Min asked, her sightless eyes wandering around. “I wish I could see you…”

“I wish you could see me, Min.” The voice sighed. “Until we know what exactly is happening, you could be hurt by the most innocuous of things. So we both are in quarantine until we are sure you have no ill effects.”

“I am scared…” Min said, tears falling from her sightless eyes. She had woken in a tank. Everything had been hazy. Memories had floated to the surface, she had been a Jedi? Or something. She remembered training, learning, laughing, crying… It was hazy and faded as she focused on it. But then it all cut off. She couldn’t remember how she had gotten here, or even where ‘here’ was. She had woken on a table with someone bending over her. Something had stung her and she had slept again, then the droids had come and carried her here. She relaxed a bit and her uneasiness faded along with her memories of pain and fear.

“I know you are scared, Min.” The gentle voice soothed her and something touched her, a hand? Or… a claw? It felt odd, but it soothed her. “I am here, young one. It is all right. You are not alone.” It stroked her head and then vanished.

“Don’t leave!” Min cried as she strained to hear or see where the presence was. “Please…”

“I won’t leave you to face this alone, Min.” The gentle touch was back. “If I did, you would likely be driven mad. Listen, my daughter…” The voice broke off as Min hissed.

“Your…” Min wasn’t sure she had heard correctly. “...daughter…? But… I remember…No… I don’t remember. I am your daughter?” She shook her head, it was so hazy now. Her memories, if they were that, had faded. Everything was hazy now. “I feel so weird.”

“You are my daughter, Min.” The gentle voice said with a sigh. “Your memories have been tampered with. Someone has been playing with your mind. When I find out who, I will hurt them.” Rage underlaid the voice now.

“What is happening to me?” Min asked, her tone barely one step removed from panic. “What is happening to me?” She demanded.

“Easy Min.” The same gentle voice and touch soothed her. “You are molting, going through your first change. It is scary, being out of control of your body. But I am here. I won’t let anything happen to you. This is going to sting, young one.” A pinch in her arm barely pulled a flinch from the exhausted girl btiu no more and Min was falling now, or floating.

“Promise?” She asked in a scared tone.

“I promise.” The voice said gently. “Sleep daughter. When you wake, everything will be better. You will see.” Min took that gentle voice with her into comforting darkness.

When Min woke again she was lying on her side. When she opened her eyes, again, she saw nothing but blackness. Something was around her, constricting her. But it didn’t feel confining. It felt safe. She was very hungry. Hungrier than she had ever remembered being in fact. She was so ravenous that she barely heard her mother’s voice at first. But then another feeling started to dominate. Nausea.

“Min…” Her mother’s voice was kind, but commanding. “You need to eat.”

“I don’t know if I can.” Min replied sadly. “Feel… sick…”

“Easy, daughter.” Something touched her and Min relaxed as the nausea faded. “I will feed you.” The voice said gently. “It will be a bit messy, but you will be all right.” Something moved near her mouth and a tube found her throat. “Swallow.” Her mother commanded.

Min did, ignoring the taste of the material, whatever it was. It tasted kind of like meat, but… odd. As if it was uncooked and still bloody. The tube returned and this time it held water. Cool and clean, she drank gratefully. After a few more times of both food and water, she sighed, she was full.

“I think that is all I can stomach for now.” Min felt faint, but kept herself awake. “Thank you, mother.”

“It is what mothers are for, Min.” A gentle touch soothed her again as the flap over her mouth was replaced. “How do you feel?”

“Sleepy. Odd.” Min said slowly. “Is this how it supposed to be? My head is too small. It doesn’t hurt, but I feel… Weird…”

“You are going to feel weird, Min.” The voice said kindly. “You need to sleep to finish the molting. Go on, child. No one will hurt you.” Min took that kind voice into slumber with her.

Katherine watched the readouts as Min slowly fell asleep and then nodded to her companion.

“She will be ready tomorrow morning, master.” Katherine said as she carefully bandaged the wound on the body that lay on the table nearby. The older human woman on the table did not move, as motionless as she had been from the moment she had been carted in. “That was a good idea. She was very hungry and living flesh sated her much faster than the broth did. It is disgusting, but Lohas preferred it that way. It seems our new queen does as well.”

“We will need to be careful.” Firdlump replied evenly. “We don’t want her going mad. While we can duplicate this experiment, our stores of uncorrupted Sitolon DNA are not infinite.”

“The programming seems to be taking.” Katherine said as she scrutinized the readouts again. “She hasn’t asked once why I sound different from her memories. She hasn’t asked why she can’t hear anyone else. And she never realized the claw that touched her was not alive.” She picked up the large puppet claw and smiled. “Ah well… I will keep this subject ready in case ‘my poor daughter’ needs more food.” She wore a self satisfied grin now as she looked at the cocoon.

“She trusts you.” Firdlump replied with a smile. “Good job. But…” He made a face and Katherine nodded.

“Menglan is better at the warping part than I am. She has far more experience and she has done it to Sitolon before.” Katherine nodded again. “I will get Min, or Eqmin, as we will call her from now on, ready. Hard to believe it has been less than a week.”

“Not for her, doctor.” Firdlump said with a shrug. “As far as she is concerned, she has been in that cocoon for half a year. The test subjects are ready whenever you are.”

“Tomorrow.” Katherine said with a wince. “This part cannot be rushed. If we do… She will go mad. Useful for DNA, but nothing more.”

“Fair enough.” Firdlump said as he left the room.

Katherine sighed and started moving equipment into position. She had the gear set up around the head of the cocoon when Menglan entered.

“Are we ready?” Katherine nodded to Menglan’s words and the other doctor started up the machinery. Menglan looked at the readout and smiled. “You have done a good job, Katherine. She is quite pliable like this.”

“She will wake hungry again, sleep again, and then exit the cocoon.” Katherine said, consulting her notes. “We will need to be very careful from this point on, until we can get her into the communion chamber and into the collective. The Sitolon will do everything they can to stop us.”

“Agreed.” Menglan said absently. “We can access her mind fairly easily through the antennae… Were you going to amputate those?” She asked clinically.

“Not if I can help it.” Katherine said, looking at the cocoon with worry on her face. “It is incredibly traumatizing for a Sitolon. I am amazed that Lohas survived it.”

“I don’t know that she did, to tell the truth.” Menglan said sadly. “Poor bug was never quite the same. And now she is lost to us.”

“We won’t lose this one.” Katherine said with a snarl. “We won’t.”

“There.” Menglan said with a smile as she finished her work. “All done. She is ready for implants, but… You want to wait?”

“Yes.” Katherine said with a frown. “If we can get her into the collective as is, she may be able to access the nanite swarm like that.” Menglan’s eyes went wide.

“I never thought of that.” The other doctor scratched her chin in thought. “Can you do that?”

“I THINK so.” Katherine said slightly dubiously. “If not, we can always fall back on the original plan, implant her, pull her into the collective and have her make babies for us. One of them will have the proper DNA and mind for the nanites to accept.”

“Larva, doctor…” Menglan corrected her somewhat absentmindedly. “Not babies. I will tell the master. She will wake hungry shortly.” She looked to the still form on the table and winced slightly. “What a waste.”

“How so?” Katherine said quietly as she picked up a knife, ready to cut chunks for her daughter. At least the woman didn’t scream. Katherine paused and looked at the chart by the woman’s head. Then she shuddered. “Brain dead?”

“Yeah.” Menglan said sourly. “This one threw herself against a bulkhead before we could get her secured. Massive concussive trauma to her head. No point in cloning a vegetable or trying to make her part of us.”

“Well, yeah.” Katherine said sadly. “A waste. But she can still be of use.” She flinched as the cocoon moved. She waved to Menglan and the doctor left without a word. Her voice changed to tender worry. “Eqmin…?” She asked as she cut a quivering lump of flesh off the woman’s arm. “Are you hungry?”

“Starving…” Came the voice from the larva.

“Good.” Katherine smiled as she rolled the bloody lump down the tube towards the larva’s mouth. “It’s mealtime.”

“How long is this going to last?” Eqmin asked after a few rounds of food and water. “This is awful…”

“Not much longer daughter.” Katherine smiled at the displays as Eqmins’s readings edged slowly towards where they wanted them. “Not much longer at all.”

It was time. Ecmin was struggling to get out of her cocoon even before she was fully awake. It ripped easily and she stopped, perplexed.

“Mother…” She called, unsure. “Is it supposed to be like this? I thought it was supposed to be harder.”

“It’s okay, Ecmin.” The voice of her mother called encouragingly. “I cannot get back, I have a critical patient I am tending, but I can talk to you over the com.”

“I kind of hoped to see you.” Ecmin said sadly, but continued her struggles. After a few minutes, she was few of most of it and snarled as she forced her body all the way out of its silken prison. “Blast you… Get off!

“That is it, Ecmin. Good job.” Her mother’s voice came from nearby and when she turned, she could see a speaker. “I am sorry, but this girl needs me…”

“It’s okay, mother…Save your patient.. I am not critical, I don’t think…” Ecmin said, breathing heavily. Her exertions had tired her more than she had thought they would. “I feel… odd…”

“Are you feeling bad?” Her mother asked sharply. “Ecmin.” Worry now colored the female’s voice.

“No.” Ecmin said as she focused herself. “Just odd. Weird… like I am not all here…” She staggered a bit and caught herself, checking her carapace for damage. ”I am intact, but… I feel… so strange…”

“Okay…” Her mother’s voice held relief for the moment and Ecmin relaxed. This female wouldn’t let anything happen to her. “I need you to go into the next room and let the doctor there do a full exam. She is human and a bit eccentric, but she is good at what she does. So listen to her, okay?”

“Okay.” Ecmin said as she started for the door that she could see. It hissed open as she came close and, as her mother’s voice had said, a human female was standing beside an odd apparatus. The human smiled at her.

“Ecmin, good to see you. I am doctor Menglan.” The human waited while Eqmin staggered close. “Are you all right? Your mother was worried about you.”

“I feel…strange…” Ecmin said as she staggered to a stop. “I feel… alone…” She shook her head, her antennae waving. “Why can’t I sense my mother?” Fear darkened her voice now. “I can’t sense anything…”

“Well, let’s see what we can do about that, shall we?” Menglan indicated the apparatus and when Ecmin looked, she could see an indentation that seemed to be just her size. “Just sit here and put your head… here…” She indicated a flat portion. “It shouldn’t hurt.”

“Shouldn’t?” Ecmin asked cautiously, but she did as instructed. As she did, the slabs came up, supporting her mass and she relaxed as she sat on them and was able to breathe easily. “What do I do?” She asked when she was ensconced.

“Just sit, young one.” Menglan said with a gentle smile. “Let me see… Hmmm…” She bit her lip in concentration as she looked at her readouts.. Eqmin stared at her, and then froze. The woman’s lip was bit through, but she wasn’t bleeding. Instead, tiny nearly invisible things were moving, repairing the damage. “Eqmin?” Menglan asked kindly.

“What are you?” Ecmin asked, her posture going rigid. “Humans don’t heal that fast…” She was about to jump off the machine when part of it slid down, trapping her in place. “Hey!” She struggled, but she couldn’t move. “What are you doing?” She demanded.

“Opening your eyes.” Menglan said quietly. “This is going to hurt and I am sorry, child.” The human touched something and fire seemed to flow through Ecmin’s entire body. She screamed and screamed as power flowed into her. “Stop fighting child, it will hurt less if you don’t fight.”

Let me go you crazy witch!” Ecmin screamed as she writhed in her bonds. “No!” she screamed as Menglan gently pulled her antennae down and hooked them into places prepared for them. “No…” She was begging now.

“It’s okay.” Menglan said calming, “I am not going to hurt them. I just need a direct line to your brain.”

“No…” Ecmin was crying now. “Don’t… Please…”

“It’s okay, child.” A familiar voice had Eqmin freezing as Katherine stepped into her view. “It’s okay, it will be okay.”

“You are not my mother…” Ecmin sounded so lost and alone. She started to struggle harder, despite the pain it caused her.

“In every way that matters, I am Ecmin.” Katherine sighed sadly as she stepped forward and put a hand on the Sitolon’s immobile lower left arm. “I created you, I bore you and now I am going to birth you into a new life.”

“No…” Ecmin stared at the two females and then her gaze went internal. “You won’t succeed.” Her tone changed, many angry voices suddenly sounding through hers. “You evil witches will not succeed.”

“Menglan! Dose her!” Katherine yelled as she hit controls to seal the room to telepathy, to cut Eqmin off from the hivemind. Eqmin jerked in place as Menglan hit a weak spot in her chitin with a hypo. Then she shuddered and went limp. Katherine shook herself and took a deep breath. “Too close…We have to implant her now.”

“We have the information we need.” Menglan smiled as she nodded at her readouts. “We are ready for the final phase. Ready to accept your daughter into the collective.”

“Let’s do it.” Katherine said with a smiled as she started pulling on surgical gear. A droid brought tools over and the two doctors made to implant the controls into their newest ‘recruit’. “Another sister for us, another life freed.”

What can I do…? Ecmin’s mental voice echoed sad and alone. I am all alone… I am lost… They are going to make me do something horrible, I know it. I... am... alone... Suddenly, though, she wasn’t. She was surrounded by concerned minds, worried minds, scared minds. All scared for her. She recoiled, but they pulled her in gently. They eased her pain and fear, taking it into themselves and making it lesser.

You are not alone, Ecmin. A gentle touch had her relaxing. You will never be alone, even if they do make you part of their awfulness, you will never be alone again. You will not face this awfulness alone. We will not let you.

Can you kill me? The young bug begged. I can’t live like this. I don’t want to cause harm, I never did… Ever…

No. The voice was melancholy but the mental touch that held her was gentle and soothing. This one was fully Sitolon, not faked. She could tell now. There was no comparison. I am sorry. There are limits to what we can do. They will be watching you carefully for suicide. I am sorry; we will help as we can.

Who are you? Ecmin asked after a moment of basking in the kindness the others sent her.

My name is Sarai.

Edited by kalenath

“She is not reacting as expected.” Menglan’s soft voice was neutral. “She is…” She paused as Katherine grimaced.

“Unhappy.” Katherine shook her head. “She shouldn’t be. She has a place among us, a purpose. She is not alone and she is free. We can see her every thought, feel her every feeling, but…” Katherine’s face was sad now. “Is it…? She cannot see and feel us properly. Did I miss something? Mess something up?”

“Not that I can find.” Menglan said just as sadly. “Every scan is in normal ranges. We have had people who joined us who were continually sad no matter our attempts. They…” She shook her head with a frown. “They generally did not last long.”

“We can’t lose her.” Katherine said hastily. “She is far too important. More than that, she is just a child. Scared and feeling alone, even among us.”

“I know. The antidepressants we have prescribed HAVE worked, but she is still…” Menglan shrugged and sighed. “Will you talk to her? Maybe she will talk to you if you try harder.”

“Maybe.” Katherine said dubiously. “I don’t think so. She just sits there, every time I talk to her, she just sits there unless I order her to do something. I… I don’t like doing that, Menglan, I don’t. She feels betrayed. She knows why we did what we did, but she still feels betrayed.” Menglan shook her head and Katherine grimaced again. “I know, we freed her the only way we could, but…” She stared at the display, as if trying to see through the readouts to something behind them.

“But?” Menglan prompted gently. “But what, Katherine?”

“I don’t know.” Katherine admitted. “Her first eggs will be ready to be delivered tomorrow. She should be ecstatic. But she is just sad. I am missing something… I know I am missing something…” She shook her head. “Something important.”

“Is it something we can help with?” Menglan asked kindly. “We can parse your memories faster that you can.”

“Yeah.” Katherine said slowly. “I am afraid that if we do not figure this out we will lose her. I don’t want to lose our sister. Not now.”

“Okay, take a seat.” Menglan smiled as she and Katherine sat next to one another. “Look at the wall, focus on one rivet, just that one rivet…” Her hands found Katherine’s and the two women sat for several minutes in silence. Finally Menglan gave a small cry. “Oh my god!” Menglan exclaimed as she came out of the trance. “She is acting like that Bladeborn you met, what was her name? The one who was going to suicide?”

“Atara… They got to Ecmin somehow!” Katherine’s face her horror. “Somehow they got to her, despite our precautions. They must have…She is passive now. So passive she will just sit there and die! Can you…?”

“I don’t know…” Menglan admitted. “That deep… We never felt them at all. We need to take this to the master. He will know what to do.” She rose and helped Katherine rise. Then both women left the room, worried.

“You think she is suicidal?” Firdlump asked slowly, his eyes flicking form Menglan to Katherine. “We have detected no signs. Just depression, and the drugs are helping with that.” Menglan nodded to Katherine and the Cathar spoke evenly.

“They are helping her, they are not curing her.” Katherine took a deep breath and then spoke carefully. “She is not getting any better. Someone outside of us may be interfering. Can you access her mind, block them out?”

“If you two can’t detect their access point, then no.” Firdlump said with a sigh. “Wipe her mind, sure. I taught Ravishaw how to do that. But that would cause all kinds of problems in the long term. We need her cognizant and capable to tend her young. You ask if I can block part of her mind from external influences?” He paused and thought hard before sighing. “No. What if we amputate her sensory organs?” Katherine bit her lip and Menglan shook her head.

“We don’t know if that is how they contacted her or not. If we do that, she will be alone in her mind, we won’t be able to help her if they DO attack.” Menglan shrugged helplessly. “And there is no guarantee that she would survive having her antennae removed. It is incredibly traumatic for them.”

“Master…” Another voce spoke up from nearby and all three turned to see a small human female come out from under a panel. Her face was streaked with soot and worry. “The junction is fixed, master. I couldn’t help but overhear...”

“This concerns us all, Olandas.” Firdlump said, dismissing her worries. “If we lose Ecmin, we will be set back quite a bit, possibly years. But even more important, she is one of us. We lose her and we are all diminished.”

“I don’t know her except through the collective,…” The young and currently strawberry haired tech said with a frown. “But this sounds almost like a technical problem. Hostile transmissions. Can we use some kind of telepathic electronic counter measures? Can we jam their transmissions?” Katherine and Menglan looked at Firdlump who pursed his lips in thought.

“Maybe.” He admitted. “But we need to know HOW they are talking to her. She won’t talk to you or Katherine, will she, Doctor Menglan?”

“She is compliant, obeys all instructions.” Menglan admitted. “But she never talks. Every time we try and start a conversation, she ignores us. Mind to mind or verbal, she ignores us.”

“Maybe she will talk to me.” Olandas said slowly. All three others looked at her and she flushed. “Look, I know I was a pain. I know I fought. But… I was scared until you showed me the truth. So is she, she just needs another viewpoint. Maybe a shoulder to cry on?”

“We all are afraid of change, Olandas.” Firdlump said quietly, thinking. “Every one of us rails against it. Would you be willing? You know how strong she is. We could not guarantee your safety.”

“My sister is in pain.” Olandas said sadly. “How can I not help?”

She was scared out of her mind. Brave words to the contrary, she knew exactly how large and strong Ecmin was. Add to that the fact that Olandas was a tech, not a combat specialist, and she was well entitled to bit of fear. A feeling of comfort came to her from the collective as she opened the hatch to Ecmin’s quarters. The large bug did not move from her spot. According to Katherine, she had not moved from that spot since yesterday. Ecmin looked at her and then looked away. Somehow, Olandas could tell the bug was tired and sad. Compassion flooded through Olandas as she stepped forward.

“Ecmin?” The tech said gently. “My name is Olandas. I would like to talk to you, if you don’t mind.” The bug ignored her. She came fully into the chamber and the door clicked shut behind her. “Why are you so sad?” Olandas asked gently. The bug turned her head away from the slight human, ignoring her. Olandas shook her head. “Hey, I am here and I am not leaving until you talk to me.”

A sound like a sniff came from the bug, but nothing more. Olandas sat down on a clean piece of floor and settled in to wait.

It was a long and boring day. The only excitement that Olandas had was when the food shaft opened and a small caged animal appeared. It started gibbering in fear. But Ecmin ignored that as well. Olandas sighed deeply. If she didn’t eat…

“Look, Ecmin, I know you are distressed.” The tech said gently. “But you have to eat. You are eating for many now, remember?” The bug ignored her again. “Hey I am talking to you!” Olandas said, starting to get upset. “At least do me the courtesy of paying attention!” The bug ignored her and Olandas started to get angry.

“I am here, trying to help.” Olandas said, jumping to her feet and putting her hands on her hips. “Show me some courtesy for that at least!” She froze in place as Ecmin’s head turned to face her. The bug’s regard was cold and so was her voice when she spoke.

“No, slave.” Ecmin’s voice was harsh. “You are trying to make me a monster.”

“What?” Olandas was dumbfounded. Part of her was elated that the bug had finally spoken to her, but what she had said… “That doesn’t make any sense. Come on, talk to me!” Olandas said with snarl.

“Why?” Ecmin asked sadly. “What is the point? Anything I tell you, you will tell those lying witches and they will use it to warp me and my children. Turn us into the Dark Cousins. So no. Go away.” She sank onto her haunches again and ignored the tech’s sputters.

“Why would we turn you into them…?” Olandas was totally baffled. The Dark Cousins had been an offshoot of the Sitolon race that had been driven mad by a vengeance crazed Jedi many centuries before. Now all of them were gone, and good riddance. “Why the hell would we do that? Ecmin, you are important to us. You are part of us. You are sad, I want to help.”

“No.” Ecmin’s voice could have peeled paint from ten meters away now. “You want to use my children for whatever horrid fate you scum have planned. Fine, I can’t stop you. Go ahead, order me to do whatever the hell you want. I know you want to. I can’t disobey. Every time they order me to eat, I cannot disobey.” Revulsion colored her words now.

“Whoa… Wait a moment.” Olandas held both hands up in a warding gesture. “You don’t want to eat? Ecmin, you HAVE to eat or you and your children will DIE. You children need the sustenance.” She froze as Ecmin’s face turned to her and sheer rage poured from the bug. “Ecmin…?”

“How would you feel?” Ecmin asked angrily. “If they force fed you live human? Hmmm? How would you feel?” The bug screamed at her, and took a step. Olandas retreated until she was backed up against the wall.

“What…?” Olandas stammered, unsure. “What do you mean?”

“You think I don’t know?” The bug’s voice held bottomless rage and horror now. “You think I couldn’t taste it? Remember it? You fed live human to me in my cocoon!” Olandas’ eyes went wide in horror at that. “How am I supposed to react? I was human” She made a retching sound now. “I… I was…” The bug slumped and curled up on the floor, making sobbing noises. “Sitolon do not eat live meat! And human at that… You monsters… You evil, evil monsters…”

“I didn’t know…” Olandas felt her own horror echo through her into the collective. Everyone was horrified now. “Oh Ecmin…. We didn’t know…We thought…”

“I don’t care.” Ecmin said harshly. “I Will. Not. Eat. Live. Meat. Tell your master and his pet witches that. I am sure they have all kinds of other tortures planned for me. All kinds of horrors for me and my children. I can’t stop them, but someone will. May it be soon. Get out!” Her voice could have etched stone now.

“Ecmin…” Olandas’ felt tears start to fall. “We didn’t know.”

“Get… Out.” Ecmin snarled at her. “I want to rend you into very small pieces. I want to give you to the doctors all chopped up nicely, maybe with a good salad on the side. Get out.”

“No.” Olandas said, scrubbing her face with her hands. “I am sorry. Oh my god, I am sorry… We don’t know… We are sorry. Oh my god, we are sorry…” She didn’t need to check, the collective had checked and found out that yes, Katherine had served the bug pieces of a live human. Katherine was also horrified at finding out that her information was wrong. Her horror and concern were easy to sense. Olandas shook her head. “Katherine is sorry. She made a mistake.”

“Did she?” Ecmin asked nastily. “Or was it an experiment to see if raw human tastes like nerf? It doesn't!” The harsh words almost covered up the pain in her voice. Almost.

“She didn’t know, Ecmin.” Olandas said quietly, calming herself. “She acted on inaccurate information. Lohas preferred her meat live.”

“I am not Lohas.” Ecmin snarled. “And if you do not leave, right now, I am going to kill you and leave you for them to try and resurrect. Might be hard to do in as many pieces as I want to leave you.” She rose and stalked towards the tech.

“If you have to kill me…” Olandas said, holding her ground. “…to understand that we messed up and are sorry…” She looked up into the six eyes of the bug and did not flinch as Ecmin’s claw went back to strike. “Then do it.” She did not flinch as the claw came down, but... It didn’t hit her. It missed her by less than ten centimeters and hit the floor beside her with a crash. Ecmin collapsed in a keening heap. “I am sorry. Ecmin…” Olandas said, greatly daring to reach out and touch the sobbing bug. “We are sorry…” The apology echoed through the collective from Firdlump on down.

“Don’t touch me…” Ecmin asked in a dazed voice, jerking away, recoiling slightly. “I…”

“No.” Olandas threw her arms around the bug and sobbed with her. “You are my sister…” She buried her head in the oddly soft chitin and cried. “I don’t know if we can make this okay or not, but let us try… Please…”

“Get away from me.” Ecmin said slowly, her tone hardening. “Now.”

“Ecmin… please…” Olandas said slowly, not moving. “I want to help.”

“You can help by getting away from me.” Ecmin’s voice was soft but not less fervent. Olandas did not move as the bug rose and backed off. “I don’t have choice but to serve you scum after what you did to me, but I don’t have to like it.”

“Ecmin, I am not your enemy…” Olandas pleaded. She had been so close to making a breakthrough. A warning came through the collective and she shook her head. “Ecmin, please…”

“No.” Ecmin said harshly. “You are a slave and so am I. Unwilling, unwanting, and very upset.” She snarled quietly. “I can’t kill you, even though I so want to.” Olandas froze. What the…? Had the bug missed on purpose? If that blow had connected, she would have been cut in half.

“Look…” Olandas said slowly. “I understand your feelings, your fear. I was scared myself. But it isn’t bad. It isn’t awful. We are part of something wonderful, something greater than ourselves.”

“My fear?” Ecmin asked sourly. “I am not afraid, you poor slave. Your so benevolent master is a lousy lying scum. And that is all I am saying to you.” She sat back down in the middle of the room and ignored every attempt that Olandas made to restart the conversation. Eventually, the tech walked to the door and hit it three times, it opened and she left the room dejected.

“I don’t WANT to take control from her.” Firdlump said after Olandas made her report. Not that she really needed to, the whole collective had heard everything she had and everyone was horrified.“It will cause all kinds of problems. But if we don’t have a choice…”

“I don’t understand…” Olandas said slowly, nursing a cup of caf that Menglan had prepared for her, slowly calming. “She was talking to me. She was upset, but… She was talking. Then… She stopped.” She shook her head. “I didn’t sense anything. Did anyone? Did anything appear on the readouts?”

“No.” Katherine said sadly as she scrutinized her database. Her posture was dejected. “I give apology, master. I hurt her. I caused this.”

“None of us caught it, Katherine. We are all to blame.” Firdlump said gently. “You ran your plan, all of it, by both Menglan and myself. We okayed it. We didn’t think about it. Lohas never minded. Hindsight is always clearer than foresight, Lohas was Dark. Ecmin is not.”

“We treated her like one of her people’s Dark Cousins.” Menglan said with a sigh. “Small wonder she is upset.”

“Add to that that we didn’t ask, we just forced her to eat when she wouldn’t. And live food…” Katherine shuddered, her face bleak. “Would she accept my apology?” She asked Olandas. The tech looked thoughtful for a moment and then shook her head.

“She doesn’t trust any of us.” The tech’s face was sad. “I managed to get through because she was angry. But that has dangers.” All of the others in the room nodded soberly.

“My heart wanted to stop when she swung at you, Olandas.” Katherine said with a wince. “If she hadn’t stopped herself.... Or was it a command?” She looked at Firdlump who shook his head.

“I diverted her strike when I realized what she was doing, but it would not have connected anyway. She is not inherently violent. She does not want to hurt anyone.” Firdlump was quiet. “She is part of us. I could control her, but it would hurt her badly. Hurt us. I won’t unless lives are in danger again.” Firdlump said slowly. “I think her innate pacifism kept you alive this time Olandas, but we are not going to risk you again.”

“Master, I got through to her once.” Olandas protested mildly. “I know I can do it again.”

“Olandas…” Firdlump’s voice was mild. “If she had connected, there would not have been enough left of your brain to revive. Pacifism or no, she has been pushed beyond her limits of self control..” Olandas swallowed heavily and Firdlump patted her shoulder. “Get some rest, you need it.” Olandas sagged in place and then nodded. “Well done, we have more information than we did thanks to you.” Olandas smiled a little at the praise and left the room. Katherine was staring at her display, worried.

“Master, if she continues to resist, her eggs will be in danger.” The Cathar said softly, worried. “We have options, but…”

“I know.” Firdlump said quietly. “Menglan, have you decanted the latest Min clone yet?” Menglan jerked as if something hot had been applied to a tender spot. “Yes I know you have been bringing them out and torturing them to death. Your revenge is done as of now, doctor. We need them. Clear?”

“Yes master.” Menglan said with a frown. “May I ask what for?” Firdlump thought hard for a moment.

“How many non-collective females do we have available? Any species?” He asked both doctors. Menglan looked at Katherine who typed in a data search.

“Four, master.” Katherine replied after a moment. “Two humans are undergoing preliminary indoctrination. The Bothan and the Mon Calamari required medical care that they have been given and are awaiting space to open up for their indoctrination to begin.”

“Pull all four.” Firdlump said quietly. Menglan stared at him and her face was worried. “Do we know how many eggs she is carrying?”

“Master…” Menglan said slowly. “Incubators?”

“If we have to, yes.” Firdlump said quietly. Katherine stared at him, horrified. He nodded. “I know.”

“Master… The Dark Cousins did that.” Katherine shook her head. “If we make her do that…”

“And if we do not, her eggs will die.” Firdlump sighed. “Give me an option, Katherine. Please…?” He was nearly begging.

“Let me talk to her. Face to face.” Everything stopped in the chamber as Firdlump and Menglan both stared at her.

“Katherine…” Menglan’s voice was horrified. “You go in there…”

“She will hurt or kill me.” Katherine said slowly in agreement. “And if I don’t, you will have to take and hold complete control of her, master. For the rest of her life. She will not stop fighting, no less than Agnosa did.”

“Katherine…” Firdlump said slowly. “We can’t lose you.”

“One life or many, master?” Katherine said softly, her face falling. “I have always tried to save lives. My entire life, I have tried to save lives. Now I am responsible for deaths if I do not act. My ignorance hurt her. I owe her. Maybe I can get through to her.”

“Katherine, she will kill you.” Menglan was nearly in tears. “No, sister…”

“No, she won’t.” Katherine said slowly. “She will hurt me, maybe badly. She won’t kill me.”

“Katherine…” Firdlump was shaking his head. “We will use the clone of Min as a bridge of sorts…” He broke off as Katherine shook her head. “What?”

“If you send that clone in, Ecmin will take one look and go mad.” Katherine shook her head. “She was that clone, remember? I am the only one who can do this.”

“Katherine... No…” Menglan hugged the other doctor. “I don’t want to lose you.”

“You can clone me if it goes bad.” Katherine said, gently extricating herself. “But we need Ecmin. We need her compliance. We need her cooperation, we need her to be a full part of us. If that takes my life, then so be it.”

“Katherine…” Firdlump sighed deeply. “Clones… I can’t make them perfect. Menglan can explain, better than I can.” Katherine looked at the other doctor who shook her head with a frown.

“The cloning process…” Menglan licked her lips slowly. “It’s not perfect as the master says. It’s nothing that can be changed. The apparatus is ancient, and temperamental at the best of times. Half the time, the clones that come out have to be… put down due to insanity.” Katherine’s eyes went wide at that, but Menglan was not done. “The master can bring us back sometimes without cloning us, but… It changes us. Each time, we lose part of who and what we are. The collective as a whole is diminished.” Menglan slumped in place as Katherine hissed in horror. “The end result is insanity. That is what happened to my last incarnation. Well, eventually. You should have put her, me, down immediately on decanting her, master. As soon as you realized she was unstable.”

“We needed you, doctor.” Firdlump said in mild reproof. “You could handle it.”

“Could I?” Menglan asked slowly. “I injected Jina Darkstorm with nanites against orders. I… thought it was funny…” She shook her head, as if the memory pained her physically. “I never wanted this. I wanted to make a brighter future. I can’t say how long I will remain sane this time, Katherine. It likely won’t be more than a week.”

“You have helped create a brighter future, doctor Menglan.” Firdlump said with a grimace. “We will find a way to alleviate the problem, it will just take time. Now we need to figure out how to…” He broke off as an alarm sounded. “What the…?” An alert came through the collective and all three hissed in distress.

Olandas!” Katherine shouted as she started for the door. “No!

Olandas was scared out of her mind as she sealed the hatch behind her. She managed to keep her voice even through sheer power of will as Ecmin looked at her, then looked away.

“I am now trapped in here with you until they can cut the hatch open.” Olandas said as she took a step and then lay down on the ground. “You hate us. I don’t blame you. I need to prove to you that I am willing to do whatever it takes to make you understand that I want to help.” The bug turned away from her and Olandas shook her head as she started opening her jumpsuit. “Your eggs will die shortly without an incubator. I am offering you one for at least a few of your children. They will grow inside me, and then you can take them out and raise them as larvae.” She bared her belly and waited.

“They really have you hooked, don’t they? You have no idea what you are saying, tech Olandas.” Ecmin’s voice was cold, still, deadly. “Shut up.”

“No.” Olandas said slowly. “You can kill me, maybe they can stop you, maybe not. But I have to have my say. We hurt you. We didn’t understand and we hurt you.”

“It is what you do.” Ecmin said caustically. “It is what your ‘friends’ do. You hurt people. Oh, it is ‘for a greater good’, or ‘because the end justifies the means’, or whatever. But you hurt people. It is what you do.” The bug’s voice was sharp now. “Just leave me alone.”

“I cannot believe that whoever you have been talking to would want you to throw your children’s lives away.” Ecmin did not respond and Olandas pushed herself up on her elbows. “Ecmin, please… I am offering myself. A sacrifice to show the collective’s wish to make amends.”

“You don’t wish to make amends.” Ecmin said sourly. “You want me to serve you as a slave.”

“No.” Olandas said softly, sadly. “You don’t understand. We want you to join us. You, Ecmin, the single most terrifying being I have met here. We want you to become one of us, to share our pains, our joys, our fears, our plans, our dreams, our nightmares, everything… We share everything with each other, Ecmin. We want to share it with you.”

“And you expect me to believe this?” Ecmin asked, her tone disgusted. “After everything you scum have done to me? After changing me against my will into this form? After making me eat living flesh? After making me pregnant? I remember…” She shook her head and stopped talking.

“I can prove it to you.” Olandas said quietly. “I can’t fight you, so scan my mind. See if I am telling the truth.”

“I can already tell you believe you are. Idiot slave.” Ecmin said in a surly tone. “Why would a scan change anything?”

“Because I am not lying.” Olandas said quietly but intensely. “And I want to save your children.”

“To be slaves.” Ecmin shook her head. “Go away, tech Olandas. Leave. I doubt the hatch is even sealed.” She paused as pounding started on it. “Nice acting.” She said snidely.

The speaker came to life and Katherine’s voice was sharp with fear. “Olandas! Don’t move! What are you doing?”

“Saving lives.” Olandas said sadly. “If she lets me.” She looked as Ecmin whose eyes never left her. “Ecmin, I cannot change what happened to you. I cannot change what you have gone through. But I can save your children. Please let me.” She begged. “Where there is life, there is hope. Please…”

“Leave me alone.” Ecmin said caustically and turned to walk towards the far wall. “You have no idea at all what you are doing. They are using you to try and enslave my children. What they do not realize is that the queen instinct is stronger than their controls. Only for a time and I am not totally free. I cannot take my own life. But… I want what is best for my children, and being slaves to a monster like Firdlump is not good for them.”

“Ecmin… No…” Olandas was begging as the bug walked to the wall and sat. She was crying you. “You don’t understand.”

“I understand just fine. You are the blinded one. I pity you, I truly do.” Ecmin said quietly as she folded all four of her arms. She bowed her head and a shiver ran through her form. Sick cracks were heard and Olandas went white as Ecmin arched her abdomen in an unnatural direction. Ecmin sighed and sat down slowly. “It is done.” Fluid started seeping out of her abdomen and Olandas screamed.

“Ecmin no!” The tech rose swiftly and ran towards the bug. “No… Ecmin... For the love of the Force… No!” She screamed as she reached out for the bug. “You will kill them!”

“I have killed them. All of my eggs that your ‘friends’ did not take while I slept have shattered.” Ecmin said sadly. “I am sure the doctors will try to make me pregnant again in a day or so. And I will do this every single time they impregnate me if I can.”

“Ecmin…” Olandas skittered to a halt before the queen, her face a mass of tears. “No…”

“You have enslaved me.” Ecmin said in an iron tone. “You will not enslave my children.”

“There was no reason…” Olandas said, horrified. “I was willing…”

“Sure you are.” Ecmin said softly. “And the others? The ones being brought here even now to try and catch one or two of my offspring before they all abort? What about them? Are they willing?”

“What?” Olandas asked, dazed. “What do you mean?”

“They didn’t tell you that the clone of Min that they just decanted was going to be my ‘willing’ incubator, did they?” Olandas’s eyes went wide at the bug’s soft but absolutely viscous tone. “Just. Like. You.” Olandas shook her head, stunned beyond speech. “I can hear you all.” Ecmin said snidely. “I just choose not to respond to your inane babblings.” Ecmin’s voice was softer now but no less angry. “Hurt me as you wish, you scum, I can’t stop you. You will Not. Hurt. My. Children.” She sat down hard and something else went crunch in her. Olandas stared at her, aghast, but the bug did not react.

Olandas was still shaking her head, scattering tears, utterly dumbfounded, when the hatch burst open and a dozen armed and armored beings swept in and pulled her out. She did not resist.

“My… god…” Katherine was in shock. “I cannot… believe she did that…” She said as Ecmin was led by five troopers with stun weapons ready to a new holding cell. The queen did not resist. “To just… abort them all… like that…”

Olandas was weeping in Menglan’s arms as Katherine tried to wrap her head around what had just happened. She froze as Firdlump entered the room.

“We underestimated our enemies.” Firdlump said sadly. “Olandas…”

“I know master.” Olandas said, straightening. “I accept whatever punishment you decree.”

“That was very brave.” Firdlump said softly. “And very foolish.” He slapped her once across the face. “Do not scare us like that again, girl.” He sighed and took her from Menglan’s arms, holding her as she started sobbing again. “There, there, Olandas. It’ s okay.”

“She can hear us…” Olandas said, still in shock. “She can hear us all and doesn’t… want… to… join? That doesn’t make sense.”

“I know.” Firdlump said softly. “I don’t have a choice now. I have to do it to her. I didn’t want to... I don’t want to mindwipe her, but we truly have no choice.”

“I’ll get started on prep.” Katherine said, her face downcast. She shook her head. “Forty six eggs… Just gone… Forty six young lives…” She was shaking her head, shocked, as she left the room.

“We can’t let this happen again.” Menglan said as Olandas stared first at her, and then at Firdlump. “Olandas… We want to be kind to her. We will be as gentle as we can… But if she keeps resisting… and like that…” Horror etched her voice now and Olandas nodded, bowing her head.

“Olandas…” Firdlump raised her chin gently until she looked him in the eyes. “You are confined to quarters until further notice. You disobeyed. You will be punished. You did it for a noble reason, but…” Olandas nodded.

“I knew I would be punished for it.” She shook her head and tears were falling again. “Why won’t she see? Why can’t she understand? I can feel her pain, her fear… Why won’t she let us ease it?”

“It doesn’t matter now, Olandas.” Firdlump said gently. “Go back to your quarters, get some sleep. I will be by when you wake, to punish you.”

“Yes, master.” Olandas said with a small bow before stumbling out of the room, tears still falling. Firdlump sighed and looked at Menglan.

“How are you holding up?” He asked her gently. “You have been much more lucid recently.”

“Having more than one mind with mine is helping.” Menglan said quietly. “Every time I start fraying, the others help me. But… They can’t hold it back forever. I am going to go bonkers again.”

“I shouldn’t have let you connect directly to me, doctor.” Firdlump said with a sad sigh. “I know that now, but at the time, it seemed like a good idea, a worthy experiment.”

“It laid the basis for the collective, master.” Menglan said with a shrug. “It was a good idea. I was just too weak to handle it. Just don’t let me damage the good we have done here.”

“I won’t.” Firdlump said gently as he embraced her and then released her. “I have to do it. I don’t want to, but I have to.”

“I know. The implants do work…” Menglan said quietly, thanking hard. “But the maternal instincts are stronger than the programming. I was worried about that, but assumed when she saw, and heard us, that she would join us.”

“The new Ecmin will join us.” Firdlump said heavily. “While she is unconscious, I will have Katherine amputate her antennae. She will have no choice but to join us.”

“That may kill her.” Menglan said hastily. “It’s incredibly traumatizing for her species.”

“I am going to replace her antennae with something else before she wakes. A direct conduit to the collective.” Firdlump said, with a nod for the doctor’s worry. “Hopefully, that will distract her, allow us to welcome her before she goes mad. If not…We start over.”

“And years worth of work gone…” Menglan sighed. “Sometime is wish I was evil, it would be so much easier. Not having to regret my actions…”

“We are not doing this for ourselves, Menglan. We are doing this for the galaxy.” Firdlump said with mild reproof. “What news of Vandar?”

“He is breaking, finally.” Menglan said with a sniff. “Pulling his nanites out worked. I will renew his implants this afternoon. “

“And the special clone?” Firdlump asked slowly.

“Still aging slowly in her tank. It will be at least a week before the she is ready.” Menglan replied uneasily. “Master… I still think it is too dangerous. For you.”

“I know.” Firdlump replied sadly. “But desperate times call for desperate measures, doctor. We won’t pull her out until we are certain that we can control her, that we have enough minds in the collective to keep her under control.”

“Master…” Menglan said slowly and carefully. “We thought that before…”

This time, we don’t have a crazy Bladeborn tearing our bases up before we can finish.” Firdlump said slowly as he walked to a monitor. “I won’t take any chances. That was the last pure sample we had. Ona may have been the key, but she is the lock.” He touched the console and it came to life, showing a woman floating in a clone tube. She had black hair. “With enough time and care, we can open the lock, access the Seven that way.”

“If you say so, Master.” Menglan said carefully. “I will get started on the four eggs we managed to save. Maybe we can get them to grow into larva. Maybe.”

“Without their mother, the chances are slim, but do try doctor.” Firdlump said as he turned the screen off. “I have a date with our recalcitrant bug…”

Firdlump stopped just outside the door way and listened as Katherine spoke.

“Why?” The Cathar was in tears. “They were your children. Why did you kill them?” There was no response. “Damn you! Answer me! Why?” The sound of flesh striking chitin had him hurrying into the room.

“Doctor.” He said in a quiet voice. Katherine froze, her hand recoiling from where it had slapped the silent bug. “Is she ready?” He didn’t really need to ask.

Ecmin was strapped back into the machinery that the doctors had used to make and make her one of the collective. She couldn’t move any of her limbs. Oxygen was flowing across her airholes and her antennae were strapped down. IV lines had been run into two of her arms and monitor leads were attached to various parts of her anatomy. Katherine nodded jerkily as she stepped back, her face working. Firdlump has a sad look on his face as he stepped forward.

“We would have welcomed you, cherished you and them.” His voice was somber as he checked her vitals. “We didn’t want to do this…”

“You can lie to your slaves all you want, monster…” Ecmin’s voice was resolute. “But do not lie to me and expect me to remain silent. I know what you are. I know what you want. You will not get it from me. My DNA is corrupted.”

“We don’t care!” Katherine exclaimed. “You could have been part of us. Part of something wonderful.”

“Wonderful…?” Ecmin’s voice was musing now. “How do you convince you slaves that they are free, Firdlump? That is masterful manipulation even for you.”

“It is the truth, Ecmin.” Firdlump said gently as he laid a gentle hand on her head. The chitin did not move, indeed, couldn’t move as tightly strapped down as she was. “A truth you are simply unwilling to see. For now. But soon.”

“I know you can do anything you wish to me, monster.” Ecmin’s voice was oddly calm. “I can’t stop you. And in here, I can’t hear the hivemind. But I truly hope that someday soon, someone finds a way to rewrite your sorry little shebs into a garbage recycler, or just disables you completely and tosses your remains into a black hole!”

“I am sorry you feel that way, Ecmin.” Firdlump said sadly as he moved his hands to the base of her two antennae. Then he gathered power and poured it directly into the bug’s mind. Ecmin shrieked and fought the straps, but of course, she was going nowhere. Her shrieks rose in intensity and volume for a minute before cutting off suddenly. For several minutes, power flowed from his hand directly into her mind. Then he retracted his hand, stepped back and his face was sad. “It’s done. She is gone. A new personality will grow now.”

“I will…” Katherine was crying as she pulled a tray of surgical tools close. “I will do what needs to be done…”

“No, Katherine…” Firdlump held her back with a gentle hand. “I will do it. Maybe it won’t hurt her as much. But first an analgesic.”

“Agreed.” Katherine scrubbed her face with a furred forearm and then deftly filled a hypo. She injected it at the base of the bug’s antennae. “There… Poor dear… I am sorry… Ecmin… I am so sorry…”

“It s no one’s fault but those blasted bugs who would not leave well enough alone.” Firdlump said with a scowl. He touched the long antennae that allowed Sitolon to speak mind to mind with each other and they vanished slowly, consumed by the nanites that made up his form. “It is not her fault that she thought we are the enemy. It is not our fault that we couldn’t stop them from brainwashing her.” Two small metallic knobs appeared where the antennae had been. He started unstrapping the bug and Katherine moved to help. In moments they had transferred Ecmin to a comfortable niche on the floor. “She will wake up shortly, be scared, in pain and very confused.”

“I will handle it.” Katherine promised as she curled up beside the bug. “She is waking now.” Firdlump stepped back, out of sight as the bug groaned. “Easy, Ecmin, easy…” Katherine said sadly as she stroked the bug in the way of a Sitolon promoting calm.

“What….?” The bug’s voice was low, and filled with pain. “Hurts…”

“I know, sister.” Katherine gathered the bug into her arms and gave Ecmin a hug. “It’s okay. You will be okay now.”

“Who…” Ecmin asked, her body stiff in pain and fear. “Who are you…? I… Wait…” Now her fear spiked. “Who am I?”

“Easy… Easy…” Katherine crooned at the bug. “You name is Ecmin. You are my sister. You are not alone, can you feel my mind?”

“I…” Ecmin’s voice calmed a little. “I can… What…? Why are you sad…? What happened? Why can’t I remember?” Her voice was scared and childlike now.

“You did something awful, Ecmin. It wasn’t really your fault, but you did something terrible.” Katherine said sadly. “You were punished for it. We had to.”

“I can’t remember.” Ecmin said plaintively. “What did I do? No…” Horror etched her voice now as the collective showed her what she had done. “No!“ She screamed. “I couldn’t have… Not… Not Eggs…”

“Ecmin, easy…” Katherine said gently. “It’s okay. It’s over. You are better now. You are one of us. Come, Ecmin… Let us join with you, share your pain and loss. You won’t ever be alone again. Being alone is what caused you to go mad, to do what you did.”

“Help…me…” Ecmin’s voice was low and scared.

“We will.” Firdlump said as he stepped into the light. The bug had her arms around Katherine and was shuddering in grief. “It will be okay, Ecmin. Welcome to our collective.” He felt her mind seep into his and the collective greeted it happily. She shuddered and went limp as the group mind took her grief and shared it amongst themselves working to lessen it without minimizing it.

“What have I done…?” Ecmin asked after a moment of basking in the feelings of peace and love.

“You didn’t understand.” Firdlump said gently. “Most beings fear what they do not understand. It is all right Ecmin. Rest. Katherine will stay with you until you get settled. We have time, we… You cannot bear young again for some time. But it is all right…” He hastened to reassure her as pain and grief flowed through her. “You will bear young again, and they will join us. We will all be stronger. Rest.”

“Thank you,…” Ecmin’s voice was sad, but proud now. “Master.”

“We need a better way, Ecmin.” Firdlump said gently as he patted her head. “We need to find a way that does not involve pain and suffering. The collective can help heal, but…” He shook his head. “We need you to help us find a better way.”

“Anything I can do…” Ecmin said slowly, trying to rise and then she collapsed. “I… I…”

“Easy, Ecmin.” Katherine hugged the Sitolon. “You just went through several forms of hell. You need to sleep.”

“Master…?” Ecmin asked as she slumped.

“Rest and heal Ecmin,” The mass of intelligent machine said gently as he left the room. “Rest and heal. I have… an appointment…”

Olandas staggered slightly as she stepped into medical.

“Olandas?” Katherine asked quickly come to her aid. “Are you okay?” She held one arm, guiding Olandas into an exam room.

“I… thought… it would hurt…” Olandas said slowly as Katherine helped her stand. “I thought…” She gasped as Katherine helped her onto an exam table and onto the exam table.

“We need you, Olandas.” Katherine said as she started an examination. “We need you. You scared us, all of us. What happened?”

“I… I was punished…” Olandas said, tears starting to fall. “I…” She gasped as Katherine’s gentle hands found a sore spot. “I need to get back to work.”

“No.” Katherine said quietly as she finished her exam. “You are in no shape to work, especially around high power tools and machinery like you do. If you stagger at the wrong time…” She smoothed Olandas’ hair sadly. “We can’t lose you. Here, this will help you relax.” She filled hypo and deftly injected the shuddering tech. Then she held Olandas while she shuddered, helping her sit and keeping her calm.

“I am a part of the whole…I am needed…” Olandaas gasped as her discomfort faded. “Thank you.” She said gratefully.

“Your readings are all messed up.” Katherine said as he scrutinized the vital signs. “What did he do to you?” She froze as Olandas stiffened in place. “Olandas…?”

“Katherine…” Olandas said in a soft and very scared voice. “Don’t ask me that. Please… I deserved it, but… Don’t ask me that…”

“Okay, Olandas.” Katherine said gently patting the tech’s arm. “You need sleep now.”

“I need to get back to…I…” Olandas stared at Katherine and her face went slack. Her face turned an interesting shade of embarrassed and she sighed. “Oh… you…stinker…”

Her eyes rolled back into her head and Katherine laid her down easily. Her body relaxed fully as the sedative she had given the tech worked it’s magic. Katherine’s face was disapproving as she covered the tech with a sheet before turning the lights out in the exam room and closing the door after setting the medical monitors. She was not surprised to find the master of the collective waiting for her when she got back out to the main bay. She nodded to him.

“She will be fine.” Katherine said softly. She shook herself and started to go to her next job.

“Katherine…” Firdlump said quietly. “I had no choice. She broke the rules.”

“I know.” Katherine said quietly. ‘But it goes against the grain. I know you have our best interests at heart, that you want the best for us. I know we are like children, stumbling around in the dark, but…”

“What happened with Olandas and Ecmin was not your fault, Katherine.” Firdlump said, coming to her side and placing an arm around her shoulders. “There was no way you could have known.”

“It was right in front of me, master. I read the section three times. Dark Cousin Sitolon prefer their meat live. Regular Sitolon do not eat live meat. I read it, I saw it, and I understood it. I fed it to Ecmin anyway.” Katherine felt tears start to fall, and Firdlump pulled her into a gentle embrace. “I caused this…”

“No, you didn’t.” Firdslump gave her a gentle shake. “It is not your fault, Katherine, You brought your concerns to us, remember? You asked me and Menglan. We both okayed it. We never thought about how she was different from Lohas. We should have. How is she?”

“Still asleep, poor dear.” Katherine stepped out of his embrace and led the way to another room where a large lump lay in the middle of the floor. “Even with the painkillers, it was incredibly traumatic. She was lucid when she went to sleep. But…” She shrugged helplessly. “I hate this. I have always hated waiting to see if my patients are going to wake up after my butchery or not.”

“Katherine…” Firdlump’s voice was kind and gentle. “How long have you been awake?” Katherine stared at him and he shook his head. “You are off duty as of now.”

“But…” Katherine shook her head. “I have to… Olandas and Ecmin, they need me… and…” She broke off as she saw her master look at her. Not a glare, just a look. “I think…” She said slowly. “I think I bonded to Ecmin. It was supposed to work the other way, but I can’t leave her alone now, I can’t.”

“Doctor…” Firdlump shook his head and smiled a bit forlornly. “Would you like to sleep here?”

“What?” Katherine asked softly, and then froze as a bed simply materialized slowly beside the slumbering bug. “I…”

“Nanites are not just for destroying things and warping minds, doctor.” Firdlump said gently as he led her to the bed and sat her down on it. “They can heal and build as well.” He laid her down, took her shoes off and let her stretch out before a sheet appeared, also out of nowhere and he spread it to cover her. “Pleasant dreams, doctor.” Her eyes closed as he patted her arm and he was smiling as he left the room. His grin faltered as he moved into another room.

“Report.” He said quietly as Doctor Menglan turned to him.

“None of Ecmin’s eggs survived her abortion.” Menglan said softly, her voice pained. “The four we had taken out have failed as well. We can reimpregnate her…”

“Give it a day or two doctor.” Firdlump said quietly as he looked at the readouts behind her. “She has been through an incredibly traumatic experience. Three, actually. A miscarriage, her antennae removed and a mindwipe. We will keep an eye on her and our new counselor will talk to her tomorrow.”

“You trust her?” Menglan asked carefully.

“Yes.” Firdlump said with a sigh. “She couldn’t resist joining us, not in the clone pod. She is an excellent counselor, and our newest sister needs some counseling.”

“Okay…” Menglan said dubiously. “I assume you will have your eye on her?” Firdlump looked at her and Menglan raised her hands. “I had to ask…”

“Yeah. I know.” Firdlump shook his head and started into another room where a human female was sitting reading. “Hello counselor, what are you doing?”

“Reading up on Sitolon physiology and what psychology we have for them.” The woman said slowly without looking up. “Ecmin is going to be a mess, but I am sure we can help her.”

“I hope so, counselor.” Firdlump said with a sigh. “I will leave you to it.”

<The next morning>

“Good morning.” The blonde haired woman smiled as Ecmin stepped into her office. “My name is Hala, Hala Shin, and I am here to help you learn how to help yourself. The collective can and will help, but you need to understand yourself to heal.”

“Hala Shin?” Ecmin asked slowly. “Do I know you?”

“No.” Hala said with a sigh. “I am a clone of a woman you never met in any of your progenitor’s previous incarnations. It’s complicated, but essentially, the master made me from the DNA of a dead soldier.”

“That seems…odd.” Ecmin said as she settled herself. “But then again… That is my life now. Odd.”

“Yeah, tell me about it.” Hala smiled. “But right now… Tell me about you. How do you feel?”

“Better.” Ecmin said slowly. “We have a lot to talk about, yes. Right now, I feel sad.”

“Why?” Hala asked as she sat forward in her chair.

“There has to be better way of spreading the collective than kidnapping people and hurting them.” Ecmin nodded as Hala looked at her sharply. “What I did is inexcusable, but… If we could ease people into it, make them see the benefits of such a thing as opposed to throwing them in as happened to me. I went mad, that is the only explanation.”

“We are here to talk about you, Ecmin.” Hala said with a gentle smile. “So…What do you think?”

“I think I don’t deserve this…” Ecmin said sadly. “Especially after what I did.”

“Why not?” Hala asked. “You were not totally in control of yourself, were you?”

“I don’t know.” Ecmin admitted. “I don’t remember and thank the Force. If I remembered doing that…” She paused as Hala touched her left upper arm, a gentle, compassionate caress.

“It is okay, Ecmin,. That is why I am here.” The counselor said softly. “But to do that, we need to go over every feeling you have, take them out and look them over. It will not be quick, or easy. But you will be better for it.”

“Okay…” Ecmin settled herself and spoke slowly. “I feel…unsettled by what I did and by the sheer compassion I feel from the collective. I don’t think…”

Things were finally looking up. Ecmin’s recovery was amazingly rapid, she was not having any episodes at all now. Hala was amazed at her progress, but optimistic. She was so fervent in her wish to atone for what she had done that Firdlump had actually been forced to reprimand her twice for overexerting herself. But she as good company, happy and pleased to be making a difference. Having to reteach her would have been a royal pain, and time consuming, but the collective helped out a great deal there, teaching her a great deal, almost overnight. He had seen her helping Olandas, working with Menglan on biological upgrades, working with Katherine to bring new initiates into the collective and now he found her here.

“Ecmin…” He wasn’t sure if he should be upset or happy. He settled for incredulous as she jerked away from the weapon system she had been tweaking.

“Oh, Master… I...” She stiffened to a form of attention, obviously berating herself. He shook his head with a rueful smile.

“Ecmin, relax.” He smiled as he stepped forward. “It’s okay. I didn’t expect to see you in the soldier’s quarters.” The Courageous was big, yes, but it was still a starship and had only a limited amount of space available for some things. Troop quarters, by definition, were almost always cramped. He was amazed that she had managed to get past some of the doors. She was not small.

“This blasted piece of borking trash won’t work right…” Ecmin said, indicating the man portable laser cannon on the desk. “They asked for maintenance, but Olandas is busy. I was free…” She broke off as she realized she was babbling. “No excuse, sir.”

“Ecmin…” Firdlump said, slightly exasperated, but he smiled again to take the sting from his words. “You are not a soldier. Please do not start talking like them. What is the problem?”

“I…” Ecmin shook her head and chuckled softly. “Sorry, master. There is just so much to learn!” She was so bubbly now, it was hard to remember she had been so sad and morose less than week before. “They reported this cannon as non-functional and I was disassembling it to find out why.”

“Ecmin…” Firdlump stiffened. “Did you disconnect the power cells?” Working on a loaded weapon was a major no-no.

“Um…” Ecmin froze in place, her posture bewildered. “I think… Oh….” Now she was stunned. “I… I didn’t…” Firdlump sighed. Everything about her said that she was honestly contrite, an honest mistake, but… Ecmin shook her head and stepped back from the desk. “Scan me.” Her voice was resigned as she knelt on the deck, waiting. He touched her head on the two metal knobs that replaced her antennae and nodded slowly.

“They tried again, Ecmin, you have to report these odd feelings, to Hala or to me.” This was the third time in two days that the Sitolon hivemind had tried to get Ecmin to suicide ‘accidentally’. “There you go.” He said gently as he repaired their clumsy manipulation. “As of now, Ecmin, until we can find a way to stop them, you are forbidden to enter this section. There are too many ways for them to get you to hurt yourself here around the troops. Come on…” He led her unresisting form from the room.

“I wish I could make them understand…” Ecmin said sadly. “It isn’t what they fear.”

“I know that, Ecmin.” Firdlump said not unkindly. “You know that. They refuse to listen. Come on, there is plenty of work for you in the medical section. The good news is that we have two new mechanics coming in. They will be ready to join the collective tonight, barring anything unforeseen.”

“Mechanics?” Ecmin replied easily. “That is good. Olandas is incredible, but she has been running herself ragged, and the ship techs just can’t keep up with the backlog of work. I wanted to help. She fell asleep in her latest project again.”

“Did she hurt herself this time?” Firdlump asked quickly, but relaxed as Ecmin shook her head. “Oh good. I hate punishing her, but she doesn’t have the sense of a Correllian gnat sometimes.”

“Dedicated, that is our Olandas.” Ecmin agreed with a small laugh. “I had a thought actually. She had that partner of hers, the bounty hunter. Is he available?”

“No.” Firdlump said with a sigh. “He is out gathering subjects for the collective. The mechanics are ones he hired.”

“Hired? That is different.” Ecmin said slowly. “Maybe they won’t resist as much? I don’t like us hurting people, we feel it when they join with us. We help them, but…”

“I know, Ecmin, I know.” Firdlump agreed. “I have to get back to the Senate. They are being obstreperous again. Watch Menglan, she is having difficulty again.”

“I had a thought about that, master and wanted to run it by you.” Ecmin said slowly and Firdlump waved for her to continue. “That poor girl Meeliee is… well…” She sounded embarrassed and slightly sick.

“There is nothing we can do, Ecmin.” Firdlump said sadly. “She is gone. Whatever Cranna did to her broke her mind into pieces too small to repair.”

“Yes…” Ecmin agreed. “But…. The reports that you had me read about my people spoke of some beings who lack higher brain function but can be trained to do basic jobs.”

“Drones?” Firdlump asked curiously, not sure where Ecmin was going. “She is not a drone.”

“No.” Ecmin said sadly. “She is a victim. One we can’t help, but maybe… Hala had me read some texts on psychology and brain function and maybe… Maybe we can help her to help herself. One of our problems is that we all focus a bit too much. I know I am guilty of it, and finding Olandas snoring next to that open power conduit was terrifying.” Ecmin had read Olandas the riot act for that.

“For you and me both.” Firdlump replied with a shudder. “So… What do you wish to do?”

“I think…” Ecmin shook her head. “I need to talk to Menglan, but I think we might be able to redirect Meeliee’s insatiability into something a bit more wholesome.”

“’Wholesome’?” Firdlump asked with a laugh. “Ecmin, I think you are taking this ‘momma’ thing a bit too far.” He paused as he realized that Ecmin was serious. “What?”

“Meeliee hurts people.” Ecmin said sadly. “She doesn’t intend it, but she does. She doesn’t understand what she is doing. If we can… I don’t know… redirect her attentions a bit… Maybe we can use her. Now, we just keep her sedated all day. That is a waste of time, effort and personnel. But we can’t just put her down, that would be a waste too.”

“I agree.” Firdlump said with a slight frown. “I think it might be possible. Delicate work though and Menglan doesn’t have time at the moment. No.” He said flatly as Ecmin started to speak. “You are to stay away from that Bothan, Ecmin. You are going to be fertile again soon, I will not risk you.”

“Yes, master.” Ecmin said sadly. “It was just an idea.”

“It is.” Firdlump said gently. “And a good one, which is why ‘I’ am going to do it.”

It was downright awe inspiring. The formerly berserk Bothan was happy as a clam, and her subject…

“Oh, that is nice, Meeliee…” Menglan said as she lounged on the low massage table with the Bothan’s strong fingers working to soothe tired muscles and bones. “Very nice…” She shuddered as Meeliee’s fingers found a particularly sore spot. “Ow…”

“Me happy.” The Bothan said in a very young voice. She froze as Menglan exclaimed in pain. ”You hurt…?” She asked in a worried tone.

“No… Well…” Menglan groaned in satisfaction. “Yes, Meeliee, but it is good pain. Pain you are soothing away. It is not you. Thank you, child.”

“Welcome doctor.” Meeliee said quietly, her face beaming. “You help Meeliee, Meeliee help you. Soak now?”

“Oh yes, Meeliee, that would be marvelous…” Menglan was nearly purring in contentment as the Bothan helped her rise and move to an empty bathtub. Meeliee helped Menglan sit and then she stepped back, pulling a hot towel out of a closet and laying it gently over the doctor’s face, careful not to obstruct breathing. Menglan flinched as the tub she was in started to fill, but the water was warm and soothing. “Oh… I haven’t been this relaxed in… years…” She was nodding off as Meeliee started her massage again on the shoulders again. “Thank you…”

“That is…incredible.” Katherine said slowly as she watched her boss slowly relax into sleep under the Bothan’s gentle and expert ministrations. “That looks so inviting…”

“Once she is done, Meeliee will be lonely.” Firdlump said with smile but then he sighed deeply. “She will sleep a great deal. I couldn’t repair her completely. She is about the intelligence of a bright five year old. But she is happy and part of us now.”

“A wonderful part.” Katherine agreed. “Who would have thought a masseuse lurked under the horrid nymphomaniac exterior?”

“Ecmin did.” Firdlump said proudly. “She is really working out. If anything she is too eager now. Watch her.” He warned Katherine.

“I will.” Katherine promised and then stiffened as the Bothan looked up, smiled widely and beckoned to her while moving to the other massage table and large bathtub that had been set up in the steamy chamber. Menglan was obviously asleep, but the tub was designed to keep her from coming to harm in it. “Um… master…?”

“Go Katherine, we can handle things until you are done.” Firdlump said with a smile as the doctor started forward, her steps unsure. But Meeliee’s face and voice were gentle as she helped the Cathar get ready for her own massage and bath. “You have earned it and then some, doctor.”

He smiled as Katherine slowly relaxed under the Bothan’s strong and professional fingers. Then he sighed silently and stepped out of the new massage parlor. Of all the things he had expected to build on this ship…that had not been one of them. Ah well, change was life. Now to change something else. He stepped into another room and nodded to the guard.

“I have this.” His voice was cold as the guard saluted and left the room. He scrutinized the still form on the table in front of him. He sighed and his voice gentled a bit. “Well, Vandar, it’s been a long road since I found you after Nihilus destroyed Katarr.”

“It was always going to come to this. You knew it. I knew it. How long until they all realize what you have done to them?” Vandar Tokare said calmly. “That the illusion of free will that you have given them is just an illusion?”

“Illusions have truth all their own.” Firdlump said gently. “As you well know. You could have avoided this. All you had to do was stop fighting.”

“You are evil.” Vandar said calmly. “Jedi cannot abide evil. We must face it when and as we can.”

“Vandar…” Firdlump made a disgusted noise. ”You keep perverting everything I say. My methods are not the best, I know this. You could have helped me make them better. Instead you fought me every step of the way. I don’t want to hurt people. I just want order.”

“Imposed order is called slavery, Firdlump.” Vandar said sadly. “Do whatever you feel that you have to do. I can’t stop you. I have tried for so long, but…” He broke off as Firdlump’s hand went to his head, no went into his head. He screamed as the being in front of him sighed.

“I did not want to do this. I so did not want to do this.” Firdlump said sadly. “For three hundred years I have tried to get you to see reason. Now I have the ability to impose reason on you. Join the collective, Vandar Tokare. See what you have missed.” He paused as Vandar choked out words.

“I … Will… Not…Submit…” Vandar screamed again as Firdlump’s hand twisted. Then the screams cut off with dreadful finality as he lost consciousness.

“You already have, my friend, my brother.” Firdlump said sadly. “You already have. Welcome home, Vandar Tokare.” He said gently as he removed his hand and the being in front of him opened his large eyes. “We have lot of work to do.”

“I am sorry, Master…” Vandar’s huge eyes were sad. “I didn’t understand. I didn’t mean to make you do that.”

“I know.” Firdlump shook his head as he started unstrapping the Jedi. “It’s okay. I don’t mind people calling me a monster as long as I know that the things I do are right and for the best of reasons.”

“I was wrong…” Vandar was nearly in tears. “You are not evil. How could I have been so stupid?”

“Not stupid.” Firdlump corrected him gently as he assisted the old Jedi to rise. “Misinformed. Come, we have much work to do, and not a lot of time to do it in.”

“That Bothan is a wonder, isn’t she?” Menglan asked with a smile as Katherine came in to work practically radiating bliss and contentment. “I never thought she had it in her.”

“Meeliee works magic.” Katherine agreed with a contented sigh. “No question. How are you?”

“Better.” Menglan said with a sad smile. “I am still going to lose it… I know I am… I just… I just hope I am not here when I do.” She stiffened and Katherine embraced her. The Cathar was sniffling. ”Hey… It’s okay… I know about my problem. I know what to do about it.”

“It’s not fair.” Katherine said sadly. “I know life isn’t but it just isn’t fair. You are doing such great work, helping so many people to see the light and…” She shook her head. Menglan gave her a squeeze and ruffled Katherine’s head fur gently.

“It’s okay, Katherine.” Menglan said with a sad smile. “You don’t need me now. You have Ecmin and with Vandar to assist…Be careful.” Disapproval colored her words but she shook herself. “I don’t trust him.”

“After everything he has done to throw the master’s plans off, I don’t either.” Katherine said with a wince. “We will watch him. All of us.” She shook her head. “I will miss you. Can you… come back?”

“I don’t know.” Menglan admitted sadly.” Even if I do, will I be sane? I won’t pollute the collective with my insanity, Katherine. It –you- are too pure for that.”

Pure?” Katherine asked astonished. “Have you been talking to Ecmin?”

“Huh?” Menglan asked softly, her focus only partly on the Cathar. “What do you mean?”

“She seems to think that the prophecy of the Seven relates to us somehow.” She did not notice Menglan freezing momentarily. “That is insane and we have all told her so. None of us come anywhere close to the prophecy.”

“I think I will talk to her.” Menglan said, curious. “Any idea where she is?”

“Wherever she thinks she is needed.” Katherine said with snort. “I have this. Poor kid…” The child who had been brought in had fought hard when the hunters had absconded with his family. Father, mother and sister were all resting, soon to be part of the collective. But the boy had found a blaster somewhere and started shooting at the hunters. They had returned fire, carefully, trying to disable rather than kill, but the blasts had amputated his right arm and left leg. He was crying in the tank even asleep. “Prosthesis or transplants?”

“Clone limbs if we can.” Menglan said after perusing his chart for a moment. “It’s harder, but less stressful on him. And you are right, he has been through enough.” She sighed and started for the door only to pause as it opened and a worried form hurried through.

“Ah… Doctors…” Ecmin’s voice was scared. “I… I think… I think I am sick…”

“Whoa, Ecmin…” Menglan soothed the bug with a gentle caress. “What is wrong? Is it time?” She asked, her face lighting up.

“I feel… hot and cold… at the same time…” Ecmin said as she tried to relax. “What is wrong? I don’t remember reading this in any of my texts…”

“Nothing is wrong, Ecmin…” Katherine smiled as she set the tank to notify her when her patient was ready to be removed. Menglan shook her head and took Ecmin’s claw in her hands. Katherine blinked and stepped back to her console.

“Katherine, he needs you. Everything will be all right, Ecmin.” Menglan said gently. “Relax.”

“Easy for you to say…” Ecmin retorted, trying to remain in control. “My emotions are all out of whack. I feel… Hungry, angry, sad, tired… all of these and more. What is wrong?”

“You are going to be a mother again, Ecmin.” Menglan said gently as she steered the bug from the room. “So… We need to take very special care of you now.”

“What do I do?” Ecmin asked, her voice scared. “I don’t want to... to do what I did again.”

“You won’t.” Menglan said gently as she eased the worried bug along. “But we need to talk. What is this you think about the Seven?”

“Well, just ramblings.” Ecmin said with an embarrassed shrug. “I asked the collective about it and they don’t know either. So…I was going to ask you and the master. Things don’t add up. Why do they resist so hard when all we are trying to do it bring order and…?”

“Ecmin…” Menglan’s voice was gentle. “Focus. Your children need you. Now more than ever.” Ecmin never felt the whisper thin tendril of thought that seeped into her mind and subtly steered her away from questions on that subject. It was easy, Ecmin was hardly at her best at the moment. And she trusted Menglan completely.

“Yeah.” Ecmin said quietly. “I am scared, doctor. I am… so scared…”

“I know.” Menglan said softly as she ushered the bug into a specialty prepared room. One set up as a Sitolon nursery. “We are here and we won’t let anything happen to you. Okay? You are likely to have aches, pains and cramps. Would you like me to send Meeliee in here to give you a massage?”

“I can’t leave this room until they are grown, can I?” Ecmin asked sadly. “If I do the enemy will attack them, won’t they?”

“Probably.” Menglan admitted. “But we are not going to just incarcerate you in here. We have a terminal set up for you…And you will go crazy without real work to do. Just not mobile work now.” She indicated a dark computer nearby, one set up for Sitolon claws. “I will do a full exam and then send for Meeliee. She can calm you. I know she can.”

“Yes she can.” Ecmin sighed in fond memory. “I hadn’t thought you could massage chitin, but it worked and felt so good. The bath too, even if I did have to wear that uncomfortable breathing apparatus…”

“She has magic fingers, yes.” Menglan said with a smile as she started the exam. “Now sit back and let me take a look at you…”

“So… Ecmin is fully pregnant.” Firdlump said quietly as Menglan finished her report. “Any complications?”

“Physically, no. All fifty of her eggs are fine. She is content to tend them for now.” Menglan replied just as quietly. “Mentally? She was asking about the Seven.” Firdlump glanced sharply at her and she nodded. “I put her off and diverted her attention to her young. She will be much more complacent with them to worry about.”

“This is much harder to maintain that we had initially thought.” Firdlump said, musing. “Can the collective hold?”

“Only one way to find out, master.” Menglan said, shrugging. “With Vandar safely ensconced within, and not meddling everywhere he can, and Hala acting as a sounding board for any of us with issues, it SHOULD. We could use more minds, and we will add more as we get them. But I do not trust that little green pile of filth.”

“I did much more inside his mind that even yours, doctor.” Firdlump replied slowly. “The rest of the collective is watching him now; he should be safely out of our way for now. Melan has taken his place as our hidden Jedi agent. He was always better at sneaking and accepting our commands anyway.”

“Then what now, master?” Menglan asked carefully. “Return to Coruscant?”

“No.” Firdlump said with a sneer. “My cover in the Senate has been compromised; they are trying to recall the two fleets they gave me. Unfortunately for them, the fleets are not where they were supposed to be and are not responding to hails. Pity.” Menglan shared his evil grin. “No, we have a different destination. We are going to the Sitolon homeworld.”

“Master…” Menglan shook her head slowly. “I am not questioning you, but…”

“I know.” Firdlump smiled as he patted her shoulder. “With the help of the collective, Olandas has managed to break a part of the encryption cycles. She believes that by the time we get there, she will have the rest broken. Even if she doesn’t, it is simply a matter of time until she does break them. No one will look for us in a dead, lifeless system, now will they?”

“Hmmm…” Menglan said with a thoughtful look. “So you can take control of the main production facilities? That would increase our power…”

“Several thousandfold.” Firdlump agreed but then he shook his head. “Something is off about that. I am not sure what is wrong. The messages that I got from the last few probes I sent to the planet were… odd… to say the least before they were consumed.” He shrugged. “But denying the mass of nanites there to our enemies will be enough.”

“Very well, master.” Menglan said with a bow. “I will make sure the collective is appraised of the situation. We are spreading the light after all, anything that helps that is good.” Her grin was vicious but she paused as Firdlump snarled at her.

“We are spreading the light of truth doctor. Never forget that.” Firdlump said with a scowl. She bowed hastily. “If we have to conquer the galaxy to bring order to it, so be it. But we are not doing this just to be doing it. Do you need another treatment?” Menglan swallowed, but then nodded. Firdlump sighed. “Doctor, there is no dishonor in being sick. I hurt you when we met. I have tried to help you, the collective is essentially a great big mental bandage, not just for you, but for everyone included in it.” He inclined his head to a chair nearby and she sat, obviously reluctant. “Maybe you need some more time off. Meeliee is marvelous, is she not?” He asked as he walked to stand beside her and touched her scalp.

Menglan would have nodded if she had been capable of it. Instead her mouth fell open and she gave a squeak that might have been the closest she could manage to a scream. At least from the look on her face, she was trying to scream.

“Easy doctor.” Firdlump said with a gentle smile. “There you go. I much prefer to be nice, to be gentle and kind. The collective is a good thing, a great thing actually. Many minds all focused on the betterment of the galaxy. With the nanites on the Sitolon homeworld we can do it, we can remake the galaxy into an ordered place. There now, better?”

“Yes, master.” Menglan said with a sigh. “It hurts, but it is always better afterward. Like much of medicine, a little pain, a lot of healing.”

“I wish I could do it without hurting you, doctor.” Firdlump replied sadly. “Pain does distract you. Come, we have much to do before we arrive.” He held a hand out and Menglan took it. He helped her rise and they walked form the room together.

“This makes no sense at all.” Firdlump said with a shake of his head as he stared at the scan reports. “When I left this world, it was a dead pile of rock.” The scan in question showed a verdant planet. The planet had not even been given a name. It had been surveyed by a Republic team some twenty thousand years in the past, but since it had been a dead pile of rock at the time, it had been given a numerical designation and been forgotten about. This was no barren ball of rock. It showed lush green and blue all over it. Clouds wafted across continents and there was no sign of devastation at all, despite the best sensors available to the Republic modified for more accuracy by Firdlump. “I would say it is impossible…” Firdlump said slowly.”…but the evidence says otherwise.”

“Are we getting anything from the planet’s surface?” Olandas asked, her attention on her screens. “I am reading nothing on any of the bands that you directed me to monitor.”

“This is really, really weird.” Firdlump said, his expression concerned. “The nanites were loose, I know that. I fled them as they attempted to consume my ship. But…” He shook his head. “This makes no sense. They were directed to ‘consume’. They ‘are’ still there…I can sense them, barely. But they are not communicating.” He mused. “Anything we land will likely be in danger.” He waved a finger as Olandas opened her mouth. “No!” He stepped to her side and laid a hand on her shoulder. “And no interpretation this time, clear?”

“Yes, master.” Olandas said with a gulp as she remembered her punishment. “But if I can’t read them, I can’t check to see if the encryption is the same. It should be. But this…” She shook her head. “This is a change, a massive one, from what you remember. Could the planet have recovered?”

“It is possible.” Firdlump said slowly. “But the planet I remember was a dead husk. Nothing living. Every living thing on the planet down to the bedrock had been consumed by the nanites. Planets can recover on their own from disasters… but…” He shook his head.

“In less than twenty thousand years?” Katherine spoke up from her station nearby. “Unlikely. It would take millions of years. Not without massive amounts of help and power. Could the nanites have rebuilt the planet?” She asked dubiously. “Why would they do that?”

“I…” Firdlump shook his head. “I don’t know.” He focused the sensors on a particular area and stiffened. “What the…?”

“What?” Olandas asked as she focused her own sensors on that area. She froze in place. “Master… Is that what I think it is?” The huge structure was fairly distinctive. But it was what was outside of it that had everyone freezing in place.

“If you think it is the nanite production facility with the remnants of a Sitolon starship outside of it, being devoured by the nanites, and a line of Sitolon going into the building, then yes.” Firdlump said slowly. “But if there were Sitolon here, they would have contacted us, asked our purpose. And why are they not being devoured by the nanites? Something is… wrong…” He shook his head and paused as his com chimed. “Yes?”

“Master, I am feeling something very odd.” Ecmin’s voice was worried. “It is not like the hivemind’s attacks. It is something else. I feel… almost like I am being examined…from the inside out…”

“Is your chamber sealed, Ecmin?” Katherine asked quickly, fear coloring her voice. She did NOT want to lose her sister again. The collective soothed the scared queen and the medic who shared her fear.

“Yes.” Ecmin’s voice was confused. “It feels… They are not hostile… But… Oh my god!” A scream came from the speaker and everyone on the bridge stiffened in fear. “Get out of my head!” A ripple flew through the collective as Ecmin fought whatever was happening to her and everyone dashed to assist her.

“Ecmin!” Katherine yelled, starting to get up, but stopping as Firdlump waved her back down. “Master…? She… I…” She shook her head and went back to her controls.

“You can help her from here, Katherine. Ecmin…” Firdlump said carefully. “Are they hurting you?”

“No… but…” Ecmin’s voice was scared now. “So many minds… So many questions… No… I…” A grunt came from the speaker and Firdlump looked at the medical panel where Katherine was stabbing controls. He relaxed as Ecmin spoke again, easier, her tone moderating as the collective held her, soothed her. “They want to talk to you…”

“Okay…” Firdlump said slowly. “How do we…? Whoa…” He recoiled along with everyone else on the bride as the hologram of a large silver Sitolon appeared in the middle of the bridge. Someone else had assumed control of the com systems. He directed the collective to take them back and the collective jumped to obey. “Who are you?” He demanded.

“Forgotten me already huh, ‘master’?” The holo said snidely. “I can’t say I am surprised. You do know about tossing tools away, don’t you?” Firdlump stiffened in place, he knew that voice.

“Lohas…” Firdlump shook his head. “How are you doing this?” She should not have been able to access the systems, not from a distance. This bore investigation. After.

“Wouldn’t you love to know?” The former slave asked quietly, her tone calm as she stared around the bridge, obviously seeing every being. “I thought I knew what you were capable of. I was wrong. Oh Katherine… I am sorry… Olandas… Mi’ta is beside herself with worry. Don’t try it, girl.” She cautioned as Olandas reached for her keyboard surreptitiously. The tech froze at a curt gesture from her master. “He can bring you back, but it messes you up.”

“What do you want?” Firdlump asked. “We can work together.”

“Can we?” Lohas retorted calmly. “I changed all of the encryptions. The ones you have broken were Agnosa’s outer defenses. Now you have to face her inner firewalls, my encryptions and some others.” Olandas winced at that, but did not move or speak. “I don’t doubt that eventually, with Olandas’ help and the power of your horrific mind blending experiment, you will find the keys. But it will take you some time. Time you don’t have.”

“You are not on planet.” Firdlump said slowly as he cast out with his mind. “You cannot be, or I would sense your nanites.”

“Maybe.” Lohas replied evenly. “Maybe not. You are limited in ways that you simply cannot sense, they are outside your programming. Just like you never guessed who Agnos really was until after she was out of your reach.”

“Maybe.” The mass of machines in human form’s voice was noncommittal. The he shook his head an changed tactics. “We could do so much good, Lohas…” Firdlump pleaded. “Don’t do anything rash.”

“Rash?” Lohas asked quizzically. Her holographic antennae arced towards Katherine. “Like stealing people who have done nothing to you, making them slaves? Like changing a young human girl into one of us, brainwashing her amputating her link to the only thing keeping her sane and forcing her to get pregnant not once but twice in less than a month? Rash like that?” Her voice was hard now and Firdlump winced.

“I agree my methods are… unrefined at times.” Firdlump agreed. “I am working on them. I don’t want to hurt people.”

“No.” Lohas actually agreed with him. “What good are damaged slaves? Inefficient drones?” Firdlump started to speak but she cut him off. “You spout how it is ‘for a greater good’, ‘for a better, more ordered galaxy’. When all it is really about…is you.” Her holographic claw came up to point at him. “You want, so you take. People fight, so you brainwash. Well, guess what? My children and I have a message for you and the poor souls you have absorbed into that fake hivemind of yours.”

“Lohas…” Firdlump shook his head. “Don’t do anything you will regret.”

“Regret?” Lohas asked sourly. “What the hell do you know of regret? How many lives have you destroyed to make your insane dream a reality? How many souls have you corrupted so you can work from the shadows with impunity? How many people have died for your insane dream, Firdlump? How many?” She was shouting now.

“Too many.” Firdlump said with a sad shake of his head. “Too many to ever forgive what I have done. But it has to be done. We will make a better tomorrow. With or without your aid. I don’t want to fight you.”

“Oh, we won’t fight you.” Lohas said slowly as she calmed. “My children abhor the thought of causing any more death than they already have.”

“Your… children…?” Katherine asked cautiously. “Lohas… Think of them…”

“I am.” Lohas said with an insolent flip of her claws. “Watch your screens.”

As all eyes turned to the main viewscreen, several mouths shouted in shock and fear as a fireball blossomed on the planet’s surface. It was easily visible, probably would have been visible even without magnification. Firdlump shook his head as Katherine and Olandas sat in shock. Olandas found her voice first.

“That… That was… The nanite production and control facilities…” Olandas stared at her readouts. “A hundred weight baradium core munition… Lohas, what have you done?” She shrieked. A nuclear weapon?

“I did the right thing and my children all agreed. We denied you your prize.” Lohas shook her head. “And now, a warning… If any of your ships land on the planet they will be disabled, any sentients aboard will be freed from your control using whatever means needed. If any of your nanites arrive on planet in any way, they will be consumed. You and your slaves are not welcome. Do I make myself clear?”

“You have not stopped anything, Lohas.” Firdlump said slowly. “Any nanites can replicate themselves, given time. We can break any encryptions you have made.”

“I know.” Lohas said snidely. “But we just slowed you down. Go ahead, try to land. Please… My children may not want to kill, but they have no difficulty disabling your slaves and your infantile attempts at controlling them. Goodbye monster and good riddance.” A hiss from the com and the holo vanished.

“I cannot believe…” Menglan said, somewhat dazed. “A nuclear weapon…”

“Yes.” Firdlump said as he stood staring at the computer screens in his ‘office’. Not that he needed to. He could access them from anywhere aboard the ship or nearby. “Between the blast, the radiation and the EMP, there will be nothing left of the nanite production and control facilities. As that ignorant little child planned.” He shook his head. “I did not think she had it in her to do such a thing. The Sitolon we saw entering the building must have carried the nuke in. A suicide team…”

“So… Was this a waste of time?” Menglan asked softly as she watched Firdlump pace slowly. He did that, acted so human it was hard to believe he was actually a mass of intelligent nano machines. “I had hoped…That the hard part was almost over.” She broke off as her master looked at her.

“No.” Firdlump said quietly. “Not a waste. Not entirely. The nanite production center would have made everything so much easier, quicker. As I told Lohas, I can produce more nanites. It is just time and resource intensive to make as many as we need. And I may not have to. Olandas is certain that she can crack that arrogant little queen’s encryption, given time. She has already broken the last of Agnosa’s external blocks and has started accessing the inner ones. This place will work as a staging area; our victory just won’t be as fast as I had hoped.” Menglan slumped a little and Firdlump smiled at her. “Buck up, doctor. We have had a setback, no more. With the resources that we have found on two of the small moons in this system, we can set up a base on one of them. With the fleets gathered here and a nanite enhanced sensor net in place, not even the mighty Stomhawk will be able to dislodge us. When we do break Lohas encryptions, we will again access to many, many more nanites. With them, we will bring order at long last, it will just take longer. How is Ecmin?”

“Shocky.” Menglan replied with a frown. “She is almost catatonic, even with our help. She is having a great deal of difficulty remaining lucid. Whatever that bug witch did to her hurt her very badly. Katherine is with her now and she has her young to think about. We will need to keep an eye on her, just in case. The collective is on it.”

“Good.” Firdlump replied. “And our ‘special guest’?”

“She was woken this morning.” Menglan said with a warm smile. “She was groggy and accepted our invitation into the collective with no issues at all. We were right, the pleasure stimulation worked wonders. It is going to revolutionize the process, make it SO much easier to add people to the collective. Her transition was the easiest I have ever encountered, she didn’t fight at all. She was downright glad to be of service. A far cry from her progenitor.”

“How is she?” Firdlump asked, a little concerned. “She was gestated over such a long period. Any ill effects?”

“None that we have been able to determine except for her inability to conceive and we knew that would likely happen, given her age.” Menglan replied sadly. “The collective has her in hand. She is gaining strength daily, but…”

“’But’, doctor?” Firdlump asked slowly. “What is wrong?”

“She…” Menglan shook her head. “There is nothing physically wrong with her that we can find besides her inability to bear children now. She has accepted everything that we have said and done with good spirits, even the implants.”

“So what is the problem?” Firdlump asked, prompting the doctor.

“That is just it, we can’t find a problem. Physically she is in perfect health. Mentally, she is responding to everything as well or better than we could have hoped.” Menglan said with a frown. “She says that there is nothing wrong. None of the sensors pick up anything. She is quite weak at the moment of course and will be for some time until she regains muscle mass she lost after so long in the tank, but…” She shook her head, obviously frustrated by her lack of ability to vocalize her issues. “There is something. But I have no idea what. Katherine has also… ‘felt something’ for lack of a better term. It is bothering her too.” Menglan finished lamely.

“Has anyone else ‘felt’ this?” Firdlump asked softly, somewhat concerned. “Anyone?”

“No.” Menglan said softly. “And there is nothing the collective can find either. Maybe we are just being paranoid. But I cannot help but feel we are overlooking something. Katherine and I have melded our minds, looking for an answer. Nothing.”

“We knew she was not going to be able to bear children, not at her age.” Firdlump mused. “Could it be that?”

“Maybe.” Menglan, unconvinced. “She is wonderful person, a delight to work with and talk to. She accepted that she was not going to be able to bear children. But she wants to make a difference. On that note, she wants to meet you.”

“Hmmm.” Firdlump thought about that. “I stayed away on your advice and Katherine’s. What has changed?”

“She is far more stable than we anticipated she would be.” Menglan said with a sigh. “She has actually asked if she can help cook. She was… um… a bit verbose in her descriptions of the ‘recyclo-spam’ as she calls it.” Firdlump actually laughed at that.

“Good for her.” Menglan’s master said with a smile. “Ok, how do you want to do this?”

“We have a ‘special nurse’ tending her. That brat Min is good for something after all.” Menglan snarled as she started for the door, Firdlump following.

“Doctor…” Firdlump stopped in mid stride and fixed the doctor with his eyes. She froze in place. “I don’t know how that copy of Min broke the controls. Bob must have done something to her, maybe before Ravishaw rescued her from the Sith? I don’t know. But blaming the clones, beating, hurting, killing the clones stops now. I told you before and you got sneaky. No. More. Clear? It is a waste of resources and I will not permit it to continue.” Menglan started to speak, but Firdlump cut her off. “I said, is it clear?” Menace rang under his tone.

“Clear, master.” Menglan said softly. “Katherine has also read me the riot act. I… I have been more unstable. I need…”

“You need more downtime.” Firdlump said gently. “As soon as we are done with our guest, you are going to see Meeliee. She can relax you. And then you sleep. Real sleep, not wandering the dreamscape. If I have to, I will have Katherine knock you out. You know I can keep you from wandering.” He started off and this time, Menglan hurried to follow.

“I am wondering if that is part of my problem.” Menglan mused. “I mean, with all the real sleep I have been getting recently, I haven’t felt as… off.”

“Maybe.” Firdlump agreed as they walked. “I like this you, doctor. You haven’t done anything for me to punish you besides tormenting the clones. Keep it that way as long as you can.”

“I will.” Menglan promised as she came to a stop before a door. It opened and she preceded her boss into the room.

The room was comfortable, as airy and well lit as a stateroom aboard a starship could possibly be, augmented by holos and a nice painting on one wall. All of that was designed specifically to promote calm and peaceful thoughts. The woman in the bed looked up as Firdlump entered, her green eyes going wide as she took in Menglan and then Firdlump. She started to sit up, but subsided at a wave from Firdlump. Medical gear beeped from nearby and an IV line ran into one wrist. Her skin was wrinkled but her face was lively as she nodded to her visitors. A young human girl in a nurse’s uniform stood at attention in the corner.

“No, do not stress yourself.” Firdlump said gently. “You have had it rough enough already. How are you?”

“I am fine. Master…” The woman said, her hand going to her short black hair, rubbing the bumps of the cerebral implants. “I feel… weak, but fine. Thank you so much for bringing me into the collective… It is… I have no words…” Tears were falling as he shook her head. “Thank you.”

“It was not a problem.” Firdlump said with a gentle smile. “But what is this I hear about the food?”

“Nothing bad, master.” The woman said slowly as she looked with distaste at a tray on a table nearby. “But it is so bland…”

“I see.” Firdlump said with a look at Menglan who nodded slightly. “Well, not much we can do aboard a ship. It is nutritious and filling, if somewhat unappetizing on occasion.”

“Morale is important, even with the collective, Master. Good food can help that.” The black haired woman said slowly. “I would be happy to cook. I… Well… I know how…” She shook her head. “Or I did… before… this…” She waved a hand at the medical gear nearby.

“Well…Hmmm…” Firdlump tuned to Menglan who shrugged. “We wouldn’t say no. We do need your help with some other things however. We need a gentler, more harmonious way to bring recruits in.”

“Anything I can do to help further the collective.” The woman said staunchly. “I owe you for opening my eyes, freeing me. Thank you.”

“You are welcome, Maria.” Firdlump said with a gentle smile as he moved to sit next to his newest recruit and secret weapon against the Seven. Maria Kalenath nodded to him, her face happy and carefree. “We have a lot of work to do.”