Stop Calling for NERFS!!!!

Kulraven

Please, I'm begging this community. Stop calling for nerfs every time someone kills you, you can't defeat someone or you see something amazing you cant explain. The Wow community was the whiniest community I have ever seen and it ruined the game. When the vocal minority of the community puts overwhelming pressure on the devs and they cave in and nerf one class it sets a precedent for all other classes to be nerfed anytime they aquire an ability that gives them a real or perceived advantage.

The nerf merry-go-round begins and no class, spec, or build is safe. You will invest hours, days and weeks of your life leveling a character only to have the very reasons you were interested in the class in the first place be ripped away.

Those most vocal about calling for nerfs will eventually be the target of other calls for nerfs when the merry-go-round gets to you. When the spirit of a class(es) is regularly ripped away the constant flavor of the month re-rolling begins and no one wins. The game simply becomes an alt fest and resentment of the devs begins and community trust erodes.

Again, said advantages are often only perceptions. However, even when real advantages are present it is usually greatly exaggerated. Ive pvp'd in every possible way in both Everquest and Wow and I have seen flavor of the month toons come and go. Ive killed them all and been killed by them all. If you have a hard time with a class, practice new strategies and try to improve. Maybe (shock) play as a team to take out a skilled player.

Please, please stop calling for nerfs. Instead of L2P, how about learn to adapt? Take on the challenge instead of taking the easy way out. The nerf merry-go-round causes everyone to lose.

Michael-Shadow-Soresu

So you are saying every aspect of the game is 100% balanced and fair in all situations?

It's not.

Someone at some point is going to have to take some kind of nerf. Deal with it.

Is any game balanced? NO ITS NOT!!! Every class has had someone create a thread and say "omg Nerf said class i got pwned!!! Almost all of it is about or related to PVP (ya know PLAYER VS PLAYER which is where most of the problem lies, with the player) The OP was simply asking the community to not jump off the deep end and end up having every class nerfed into oblivion.

Edited by Hezakia

op has a great point. somewhere during the development stage, bw said that classes are not going to be balanced around 1v1 fighting so get over it. get a few friends, or learn to work together.

I started this game as a Slicer/Biochem Scoundrel.

I HATE all these crazy calls for nerfs.

keep your slicer qq out. we told them that slicing would wreck the econ for 6months in the beta. a gathering skill is not meant to make money doing mission skills. thats that. go farm lockboxes thats how it was suppose to be done.

Edited by Mrshush

I do hate the whine threads a lot as well.

Sure, everyone gets pissed off when they get ripped apart by someone with no way of explaining how that happened. BUT! If you try that class yourself, you might understand what he did and how you could've countered it. I do think they have done an exceptional job of balancing this game as it was released, there are mmo's out there that aren't even close to the level of balance within SWTOR for months or even years(see: Age Of Conan).

Is it perfect though? No, of course not. And it never will be. The easiest solution when you get owned is simply going on forums to vent your rage and anger, and providing useless information that benefits no-one in the process. Does this behavior help the devs refine the game and balance it? Not at all.

If you really have concerns, please try to discuss them in a rational manner, instead of yelling "NERF THIS NERF THAT BUFF MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!". By providing reliable information and solid arguements, you can help the devs understand the issue and make their own analysis easier.

Example: Earlier today I saw a level 50 bounty hunter in Huttball doing over 450k damage with nothing but Tracer Missile, every time I saw him he was spamming Tracer Missile, nothing else. But does that mean that it's too good? Kinda doubt it! He was level 50, while the rest of us were mostly below 30. Will he be completely useless once the majority reaches level 50? God I hope so :)

I do hate the whine threads a lot as well.

Sure, everyone gets pissed off when they get ripped apart by someone with no way of explaining how that happened. BUT! If you try that class yourself, you might understand what he did and how you could've countered it. I do think they have done an exceptional job of balancing this game as it was released, there are mmo's out there that aren't even close to the level of balance within SWTOR for months or even years(see: Age Of Conan).

Is it perfect though? No, of course not. And it never will be. The easiest solution when you get owned is simply going on forums to vent your rage and anger, and providing useless information that benefits no-one in the process. Does this behavior help the devs refine the game and balance it? Not at all.

If you really have concerns, please try to discuss them in a rational manner, instead of yelling "NERF THIS NERF THAT BUFF MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!". By providing reliable information and solid arguements, you can help the devs understand the issue and make their own analysis easier.

Example: Earlier today I saw a level 50 bounty hunter in Huttball doing over 450k damage with nothing but Tracer Missile, every time I saw him he was spamming Tracer Missile, nothing else. But does that mean that it's too good? Kinda doubt it! He was level 50, while the rest of us were mostly below 30. Will he be completely useless once the majority reaches level 50? God I hope so :)

You're answering yoursef, if this game pvp is about spamming 1 button, this is not pvp. And the game must be oriented to reward skilled players amd not spell exploiters.

So you are saying every aspect of the game is 100% balanced and fair in all situations?

It's not.

Someone at some point is going to have to take some kind of nerf. Deal with it.

The game is fairly well balanced around team play; which is where games should focus their combat balance.

What BioWare should implement are class advocates that listen to the community and take those concerns to the devs. These advocates should be known throughout the community as players that know their class first of all, but also know the other classes. Some nerfs become buffs for other classes and some buffs are actually nerfs.

I agree with the OP though that we need to stop crying nerf for about another 5 months and then see what the game is like with more 50 level characters.

Is any game balanced? NO ITS NOT!!! Every class has had someone create a thread and say "omg Nerf said class i got pwned!!! Almost all of it is about or related to PVP (ya know PLAYER VS PLAYER which is where most of the problem lies, with the player) The OP was simply asking the community to not jump off the deep end and end up having every class nerfed into oblivion.

I will continue to provide my feedback on perceived game balance.

The game is fairly well balanced around team play; which is where games should focus their combat balance.

What BioWare should implement are class advocates that listen to the community and take those concerns to the devs. These advocates should be known throughout the community as players that know their class first of all, but also know the other classes. Some nerfs become buffs for other classes and some buffs are actually nerfs.

I agree with the OP though that we need to stop crying nerf for about another 5 months and then see what the game is like with more 50 level characters.

The problem here is that not all advocates are equal.

This caused no end of wailing and gnashing of teeth in LotRO, as one dev who had 3 of the 9 classes was awesome about posting and interacting with players on a daily basis. He would cut-up with us and give us some insight into what was being worked on for the next 2-3 months.

All the other class devs were held to his example and flamed if they dared to do any less. It caused more than one complete meltdown of a class forum (Im looking at you, Guardians...the lotro ones, not ours). The in-equal treatment left alot of players bitter at the company and their dev in particular.

Plus, there is always the chance that a dev will play favorites and end up making classes much more OP than they were intended to be (again, looking at you Minstrel).

I would rather have one "Class Dev" who was responsible for just communicating what all the devs were doing to the playerbase and interacting with us about changes/requests. Having a unified voice for all the classes reduces the chance of one dev buffing "their" class or having classes get un-equal dev involvement (either from apathy or an over-loaded dev who just doesnt have the time/inclination to post regularly.