Our Next Double XP Weekend (Make Good) and KDY XP

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

You may remember back when we ran our last double XP weekend that there were a lot of forum reports around that Kuat Drive Yards was not issuing double XP. Once we realized that, as a “make good” to the issue, we would do another double XP weekend so you can all reap that sweet, sweet double XP in KDY. Well I am here to give you some good news, our “make good” double XP weekend will be next weekend, from April 11th – April 13th.

Now, let’s talk a little bit about KDY. After the bug was reported we sent our QA folks deep into the double XP – KDY world to find the issue so that we could get it repaired and back to you. They ran into a strange issue, they couldn’t find a problem. In every piece of testing they did, they were always being awarded double XP in KDY. Now at this point there are two possible scenarios:

1. KDY is actually awarding double XP and there is some confusion around how much XP players should be receiving.
  2. KDY is experiencing issues when awarding double XP, but for some unknown reason it is only manifesting on the live servers (outside our testing areas).

Let’s talk about number one. First off, there are two issues which did impact experience completely that were fixed after the last double XP weekend in 2.6.2. Both of these issues would cause a player to receive no experience at all and have since been fixed:

• Resolved an issue that prevented Flashpoint group members from getting experience if grouped with someone outside of the listed level range of the Flashpoint. Now, defeating level-appropriate enemies will grant experience regardless of group.
  • Resolved an issue where enemy levels were being incorrectly colored as green instead of grey, to indicate that no XP would be gained from killing them.

Next, I thought it would be good to explain a bit about experience gains during double XP. If a player is playing a flashpoint when they have rested experience, they will be earning double experience from all mob kills. Meaning if you play mainly within rested XP, a double XP weekend may not appear to have any affect at all. Here are some examples of experience gains at levels 15, 30, and 50 in KDY.

It is a little long so hit the spoiler tag to see the full math. This list assumes you are not in a guild:

Level 15

Normal(No Boost)

Standard – 103

Strong – 315

Elite – 787

Boss - 3151

Normal(w/Boost)

Standard - 124

Strong - 378

Elite - 945

Boss - 3781

Rested/Double XP(No Boost)

Standard – 207

Strong – 630

Elite – 1573

Boss - 6300

Rested/Double XP(w/Boost)

Standard – 249

Strong – 756

Elite – 1888

Boss - 7560

Level 30

Normal(No Boost)

Standard – 178

Strong – 540

Elite – 1350

Boss - 5406

Normal(w/Boost)

Standard - 214

Strong - 648

Elite - 1620

Boss - 6484

Standard – 357

Strong – 1078

Elite – 2700

Boss - 10798

Standard – 429

Strong – 1296

Elite – 3238

Boss - 12958

Level 50

Normal(No Boost)

Standard – 278

Strong – 840

Elite – 2100

Boss - 8427

Normal(w/Boost)

Standard - 334

Strong - 1008

Elite - 2523

Boss - 10084

Standard – 557

Strong – 1680

Elite – 4198

Boss - 16800

Standard – 669

Strong – 2016

Elite – 5038

Boss - 20160

That should give you a pretty good idea of what experience numbers will look like when you are playing next weekend! Now, onto number two. Every now and again we can see issues manifest in very strange ways. It is possible that double XP is in fact completely borked in KDY, but only on our live servers when we run the event.

So, no matter if it is 1, or 2, there is only one solution… more double XP! Please jump on next weekend, and let us know your results, we will be looking at it as well. If it seems that KDY is functioning correctly, then may many experience points rain down upon thee. If it ends up that there is an issue and things are not working, we will hit that drawing board again and get to the bottom of it.

Thank you all for your patience, I am looking forward to seeing you all in game. Let’s get some levels, friends.

-eric

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another example of the communication team communicating too infrequently and not giving enough information. :D

Thanks, Eric. That makes a lot of sense.

Those of us who seem to always run with rested experience should have had about the same experience from mob kills during 2xp because our rested experience isn't accounted for. If there was a problem doubling the xp, we would have noticed getting less xp out of the place because our rested xp wouldn't apply.

No rested xp + no double xp = half the xp we we get outside of 2xp weekends, which is not what we saw.

I think that means that the best way to level up quickest during 2xp is still completing quests. Rested xp doesn't double that, but 2xp does. :cool:

Edited by DarthTHC

Well done Eric, once again excellent feedback, and keeping the community informed. Thanks for going into the extra detail, this is much appreciated, Regardless of whether we like the change or not, comunication communication, communication, always appreciated.

EA, give this guy a raise, and get him more support

Awesome! This is exactly the kind of communication most players love :)

Also, thank you for the chance to do a "make up" double XP weekend.

Ps. maby one of the staff should be playing on the live server trying out KDY during the double xp weekend? (doesn't even have to be official, just trying it with their own toons if they can)

KDY is a non issue. I believe the problem with KDY was that people were noticing no difference between rested kills and double experience so of course people have to come onto the forums and complain about it. I noticed that I was getting the same experience for kills but double experience was being granted when it came to bonuses and completing the flashpoint.

I did however come across the dreaded no exp in standard flashpoints and am glad that's been fixed.

Level 50

Standard – 669

Strong – 2016

Elite – 5038

Boss - 20160

Eric, here are the numbers I wrote down last time in KDY. I was level 50, with major xp boost and maxed legacy flashpoint xp perk:

477 xp for normal npc

3611 xp for Elite mob

14458 xp for boss

What this tells me, is that The Legacy Flashpoint boost was not working in KDY. Maybe you can direct QA to take a look at this aspect of the problem? Perhaps they overlooked the legacy perks.

Edited by Samoth_Nomad

Thanks for the update Eric!

The only downside of this is that I will be wasting XP when I go and meet you guys at the Cantina event... But I guess that's a sacrifice I have to make.

Even though I have no idea who you are, See you there! :p

Eric, here are the numbers I wrote down last time in KDY. I was level 50, with major xp boost and maxed legacy flashpoint xp perk:

477 xp for normal npc

3611 xp for Elite mob

14458 xp for boss

What this tells me, is that The Legacy Flashpoint boost was not working in KDY. Maybe you can direct QA to take a look at this aspect of the problem? Perhaps they overlooked the legacy perks.

Was just about to pop in, but aye - I was getting the exact same numbers on my level 50 character.

While adding the 30% legacy perk doesnt make the numbers add up properly, it's a lot closer at least. So it depends on how the xp gains stack on eachother :)

KDY is a non issue. I believe the problem with KDY was that people were noticing no difference between rested kills and double experience so of course people have to come onto the forums and complain about it. I noticed that I was getting the same experience for kills but double experience was being granted when it came to bonuses and completing the flashpoint.

I did however come across the dreaded no exp in standard flashpoints and am glad that's been fixed.

Actually, the problem I (and others) noticed was that we were getting slightly LESS than we would normally get.

And figured it was because double xp turns off rested xp and thus we were only getting the regular 1x for mobs when we usually got 2x for mobs with rested xp.

There also seemed to be a problem where some of the sidemissions weren't getting double xp either.

It wasn't that people were just too dumb to figure out that they normally get 2x xp for mob kills.

INB4 someone claims they unsubbed because 'Double XP ruins the leveling process'

:rolleyes:

But it does! :mad:

I like it when I'm on the last few planets to grind through to 55, but I don't like the pacing on lowbie characters. Don't like having so few commendations to upgrade gear.

I always stop playing when double xp takes place because it ruins the leveling process. I want to renew my petition to allow those of us that do not want double xp to be able to opt out and turn it off like a buff that you can disable. That will have no effect on those that do want double xp and is not somehow a way of allowing those of us that opt out to cheat (a theory which I find ludicrous).

I'm a bit annoyed that we have to have double xp so soon, because now I have another weekend where I can't play swtor unless I am max level and have achieved "living legend" status; a process which some of like to earn at the normal pace rather than be pushed along to the title artificially.

Edited by James_four

But it does! :mad:

I like it when I'm on the last few planets to grind through to 55, but I don't like the pacing on lowbie characters. Don't like having so few commendations to upgrade gear.

That's why you do one of three things.

1: Farm KDY.

2: Farm normal Flashpoints.

3: Farm PvP.

All three will give you a lot of planetary comms. I'd suggest doing KDY though since it's probably the fastest by far.

my experience with KDY was that I was getting unrested kill xp. to elaborate - when I would quest in a world, I would get say 6000 xp for killing a gold enemy. in KDY, gold enemy kill would give me 3000k xp. its not that I was seeing no difference between inside the weekend, vs outside of it. its that I was that I was getting LESS xp from KDY than I normally would have.

wel... its either fixed now along with general kill xp, or its not, but it still means that with extra xp from quest turn ins, I can mostly skip Belsavis on a few more characters, so all good :D

INB4 someone claims [...] 'Double XP ruins the leveling process'
I always stop playing when double xp takes place because it ruins the leveling process.

Not sure if serious, or...

*checks created threads*

Wow. Serious. I totally INB4'd you. :D