[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

i don't see a spec with stabalizers...

personally, i'll take that over 3% crit. i use PS, UL, and CM quite often in PvP.

That's 6% crit total, 3% ranged, 3% tech. You don't need stabilizers because you are designed as a kiting class, keep your distance, keep moving always.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rskZrfR0Rkcdkq.2

My merc heals talent build. Alacrity is just going to force you to overheat in PvE, mercs have a very delicate rotation as it is.

Not taking alacrity risks your targets dying if they are taking consistent damage because you are not able to pump out enough heals in time. With critical alacrity rolling, i have 1.7 second healing scan, 1.2 second rapid scan. Your rotation does not change with or without alacrity, you do 2x casts that cost 16 heat each, then you use 1-2 rapid shots.

That's 6% crit total, 3% ranged, 3% tech. You don't need stabilizers because you are designed as a kiting class, keep your distance, keep moving always.

and i use Power shot, Unload, and CM quite often in PvP.

i like to hide behind pillars, LoS, and hide...when i get jumped, or when i get noticed, then i run and kite.

to each his own.

Totally disagree. Yes a pyro has to keep moving but your main dps mechanic is dependent on powershot. You need stabilizers to make sure you get the powershots off or your dps goes in the tolet crit or no crit. Although this is a solid guide for pve you made a handful of mistakes on the pvp side and just seem to dismiss anyone that has a counter point. t-assassin is probably one of the best merc pyro "theorycrafters" on the forum and one of the best merc pyro pvp'ers in the game. Dismissing him is just silly. I can make up that crit bonus easily in gear and buffs and hit the soft caps no problem. But I can't get push back protection unless I take stabilizers

Not taking alacrity risks your targets dying if they are taking consistent damage because you are not able to pump out enough heals in time. With critical alacrity rolling, i have 1.7 second healing scan, 1.2 second rapid scan. Your rotation does not change with or without alacrity, you do 2x casts that cost 16 heat each, then you use 1-2 rapid shots.

http://www.torparse.com/a/7045/10

You do not need to rapid shots. Rapid shots is a loss of healing time. It's been shown by the math that alacrity reduces your HPH, which is the main limiting factor. In *some* situations you'll be time constrained, but most of the time you can cast, and you should be casting. I'm sure that you're good at dps, and your dps specs are valid, but merc heals has been my main spec since launch day.

EDIT: I'll admit that alacrity is probably useful in PvP. I'm not a pvper, but it does seem very hectic. But in PvE, I feel that sustained healing is much more important than rapid response.

Edited by ChikenSammichPie

Is there something wrong with the links to the talent builds for PvE Arsenal? When I click on them I'm seeing some weird 32-point builds that are mostly Bodyguard.

The links seem to have been broken, I will work on fixing this ASAP starting now.

Update: Links have ALL been fixed.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Okay, now that that's fixed... why MedTech in the Bodyguard tree, for the PVE Arsenal build? Unless things get desperate you should never have to cast your heals when you're on DPS.

It helps either heal yourself or someone else much quicker. The other talent points are less useful.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Less useful than faster cast times? I don't see it. If the healer's doing their job properly a DPS should never be spending time healing themselves or someone else anyway - and if it's an emergency, it's not going to make *that* huge of a difference.

Putting skill points in heals when you've still got talents available that will increase your DPS will just make you less effective in your chosen role than you could be. That's like putting points in a skill that will only increase a damaging ability when you're specced heals - if there's points available that can still increase the effectiveness of your heals, why wouldn't you put them there?

Less useful than faster cast times? I don't see it. If the healer's doing their job properly a DPS should never be spending time healing themselves or someone else anyway - and if it's an emergency, it's not going to make *that* huge of a difference.

Putting skill points in heals when you've still got talents available that will increase your DPS will just make you less effective in your chosen role than you could be. That's like putting points in a skill that will only increase a damaging ability when you're specced heals - if there's points available that can still increase the effectiveness of your heals, why wouldn't you put them there?

The skill level of the playerbase says otherwise. You need to be able to heal yourself quickly when healers can't. There are no talents that will increase your dps further. If you don't want the faster heals, take double dipping alacrity spec for more dps.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. The alacrity talents will increase your DPS. The healing talent won't.

Yes, if you're having issues with healers - and can't get better ones - you might need to heal yourself. But if you're having that issue so often that you need to adjust your spec to do it, then you need to start running with better healers.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. The alacrity talents will increase your DPS. The healing talent won't.

Yes, if you're having issues with healers - and can't get better ones - you might need to heal yourself. But if you're having that issue so often that you need to adjust your spec to do it, then you need to start running with better healers.

Taking medtech over 2 alacrity talent points for pve arsenal dps won't make or break your dps. It's a very minor increase. Also, from current testing, riddle seems to proc more than once every 6 seconds, not sure if bugged.

Edited by DkSharktooth

http://www.torparse.com/a/7045/10

You do not need to rapid shots. Rapid shots is a loss of healing time. It's been shown by the math that alacrity reduces your HPH, which is the main limiting factor. In *some* situations you'll be time constrained, but most of the time you can cast, and you should be casting. I'm sure that you're good at dps, and your dps specs are valid, but merc heals has been my main spec since launch day.

EDIT: I'll admit that alacrity is probably useful in PvP. I'm not a pvper, but it does seem very hectic. But in PvE, I feel that sustained healing is much more important than rapid response.

While it's easier on heat and possibly higher on HPH, casting heals faster with alacrity will get that heal to your target faster and can save the need for use of battleres. Alacrity is still better for players who can manage to play at the peek of the skill level needed for bodygaurd mercs. If you can manage the heat restraints into your rotation, you should have no trouble keeping up with any other healer minus AE padding sorc.

• 2 months later...
UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.4!

Enjoy (:

Nice Skillex. I have been running what you call "double-dipping alacrity" since 1.3. Since the GCD is 1.5 and activation time of Tracer is 1.4 with this build, I'm guessing this just help for unload right? Or is there something I'm missing? There wasn't anything fantastic to put points into anyway, so I thought I'd stick them into alacrity.

Nice Skillex. I have been running what you call "double-dipping alacrity" since 1.3. Since the GCD is 1.5 and activation time of Tracer is 1.4 with this build, I'm guessing this just help for unload right? Or is there something I'm missing? There wasn't anything fantastic to put points into anyway, so I thought I'd stick them into alacrity.

TL;DR it's a minor dps increase to pick up the alacrity talents, your dps will go up, other talent's will not allow for an increase in dps.

Edited by DkSharktooth

I'll support Assassin's call for including Stabilizers in non-Arsenal builds. Don't get me wrong, 3% crit chance is nice, but 75% pushback resistance for power shot will outperform it in any non-targeting-dummy scenario.

I disagree with this statement. I only cast powershot when at ranged distance, that way you can get around having to talent 3 points into stabilizers. You shouldn't ever be face tanking a melee, always kite, dot, run run run

Actually, anything with a cast time shorter than the GCD does still cast at the speed it indicates without triggering it. Only instants trigger the GCD.

So yes, with 1.4 second tracer missiles, you're casting faster than you'd be able to spam instants.

if your casting at 1.4 second speed...and lets say you hit your target for a 3.8k crit. but they hit you with two instants before you finish casting and each hits you between 1.6k - 4k then your not casting faster....

unless i misunderstand your statement.

if your casting at 1.4 second speed...and lets say you hit your target for a 3.8k crit. but they hit you with two instants before you finish casting and each hits you between 1.6k - 4k then your not casting faster....

unless i misunderstand your statement.

Never said you're DPSing faster than someone who can spam instants if your Alacrity shortens your casts below 1.5. Simply that it doesn't trigger the GCD.

That said, I don't see your math adding up. If you start a 1.4 second cast at the same time that the other guy hits his instant, your cast will finish before he can hit a second instant. From the moment he hits his first instant he's got 1.5 seconds before another one can go off - you've got 1.4, so your cast for that 3.8k finishes before he hits you for a second 1.6k - 4k.

Granted, that second instant will hit before you get your second cast finished. In the long run, the .1 second off each cast *will* make a difference over spamming instants. Whether you live long enough for that to matter? that's another story altogether.

I'm not advocating stacking a lot of alacrity on an Arsenal Merc. But that little bit from the two Alacrity talents *does* increase your straight DPS. If you're speccing for PVP, though, there's probably better options.

Never said you're DPSing faster than someone who can spam instants if your Alacrity shortens your casts below 1.5. Simply that it doesn't trigger the GCD.

That said, I don't see your math adding up. If you start a 1.4 second cast at the same time that the other guy hits his instant, your cast will finish before he can hit a second instant. From the moment he hits his first instant he's got 1.5 seconds before another one can go off - you've got 1.4, so your cast for that 3.8k finishes before he hits you for a second 1.6k - 4k.

Granted, that second instant will hit before you get your second cast finished. In the long run, the .1 second off each cast *will* make a difference over spamming instants. Whether you live long enough for that to matter? that's another story altogether.

I'm not advocating stacking a lot of alacrity on an Arsenal Merc. But that little bit from the two Alacrity talents *does* increase your straight DPS. If you're speccing for PVP, though, there's probably better options.

ah... I misunderstood that the GCD was 1.5.. been playing multi MMOs way to long...most of the GCDs are 1 second...not 1.5. i feel smart now :)

Updates:

1. Added a new pyro pvp 1v1 spec.

[*]Added a new pro tip.

• Pro Tip: Since respecs are now FREE. Before the warzone, duel, 1v1, or open world pvp starts, spec into the bodygaurd tree to get kolto shell and apply it to yourself, then respec again back to your main dps spec. The shell will heal for about 4k over 10 ticks if you are full warhero. Enjoy the tip :p

P.S. Please Vote this thread 5 Stars if it helped you. Thanks!