Why is my SWTOR launcher exe trying to contact University of New Hampsire?

Carazon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

We hope that answers your question!

Hey everyone,

Due to the odd nature of this issue, one of our developers has asked us to post this on his behalf in order to clarify what is happening:

The network call in question is from a 3rd party library we use as part of our launching system. The call is intended to optimize the performance of a P2P feature of this library which we do not use and do not intend to use. Note that the call is to a public stun protocol server which is, in fact, hosted by the University of New Hampshire. A future update to our launcher will disable this completely.

the game is sending our information to some unknown group that has a server at this university?

so its just as likely this is actually being used to secretly send end-user info to a undisclosed third party source?

it may just be some p2p mistake, but um, I don't tend to just believe everything I am told. if this player hadn't found out about it we would not even have been told by this dev that they are giving our info to some unknown entity.

i don't like this at all

the game is sending our information to some unknown group that has a server at this university?

so its just as likely this is actually being used to secretly send end-user info to a undisclosed third party source?

it may just be some p2p mistake, but um, I don't tend to just believe everything I am told. if this player hadn't found out about it we would not even have been told by this dev that they are giving our info to some unknown entity.

i don't like this at all

Dont worry, just make sure your tinfoil hat is securely tied to your head and they wont be able to scan and catalogue you.

i don't like this at all

Paranoid much?

Hey everyone,

In other words: "You're paying to play a beta, lulz thanks."

i don't like this at all

Oh noooooos! They have my login habits! UoNH now knows I play games 18 hours a day!

translation: WOOPS how the *** do we hide this now. they figured it out!

Why would they hide it? You are aware that an MMO connects to a server, one they run, which can see everything you do in the game? Bioware already has access to your login habits. If you pick your nose in game, they know it, if you /dance, they know it, if you troll general chat for 5 hours, they know it.

They don't need to send your login data to a 3rd party location to watch you.

Why would they hide it? You are aware that an MMO connects to a server, one they run, which can see everything you do in the game? Bioware already has access to your login habits. If you pick your nose in game, they know it, if you /dance, they know it, if you troll general chat for 5 hours, they know it.

They don't need to send your login data to a 3rd party location to watch you.

You do realize that BW could be shipping all our info to a clandestine group who is collecting it for the NSA or something right?

The point is we have no way of knowing what this is truly being used for other than some "oops we didn't realise" statement by a DEV.

People will start saying you are a tinfoil hat paranoid to even suggest it could happen but that's a laugh since that sort of thing has happened many times in the past on the internet with other things. A wise person doesn't just accept the first "oops we didn't know" explanation.

There is a difference between being paranoid and being wise.

read this article at WIRED magazine below. There are many other big media sources that gave it some coverage as well, it basically says the government will use the patriot act and other acts to secretly surveillance everyone using the internet and collect data on them. It includes people playing online games.

This could be exactly what is happening.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/05/secret-patriot-act/

There’s a Secret Patriot Act, Senator Says

By Spencer Ackerman Email Author May 25, 2011 | 4:56 pm | Categories: Crime and Homeland Security

You think you understand how the Patriot Act allows the government to spy on its citizens. Sen. Ron Wyden says it’s worse than you know.

Congress is set to reauthorize three controversial provisions of the surveillance law as early as Thursday. Wyden (D-Oregon) says that powers they grant the government on their face, the government applies a far broader legal interpretation — an interpretation that the government has conveniently classified, so it cannot be publicly assessed or challenged. But one prominent Patriot-watcher asserts that the secret interpretation empowers the government to deploy ”dragnets” for massive amounts of information on private citizens; the government portrays its data-collection efforts much differently.

Continued here: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/05/secret-patriot-act/

Edited by Gilbara

You do realize that BW could be shipping all our info to a clandestine group who is collecting it for the NSA or something right?

The point is we have no way of knowing what this is truly being used for other than some "oops we didn't realise" statement by a DEV.

People will start saying you are a tinfoil hat paranoid to even suggest it could happen but that's a laugh since that sort of thing has happened many times in the past on the internet with other things. A wise person doesn't just accept the first "oops we didn't know" explanation.

There is a difference between being paranoid and being wise.

i honestly believe it was meant to be there. now they need to hide it. meh.

i honestly believe it was meant to be there. now they need to hide it. meh.

Yeah man, the NSA wants to know how you achieved those awesome results in SWTOR and they've even set up a clandestine group (which is so sekrit that any gamer with a free app can find it) to monitor you! Yes, YOU are a target for the NSA!!!!!1111!!!eleven.

Do I need sarcasm tags for the above or will you get the idea?

If you want to /tinfoil hat correctly then know what your talking about. The NSA can pick that information up straight from your ISP if they deem it "worthy information"

At least give me something interesting like the lizard people living in the middle of the earth controlling all our goverments...