Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Did you ever play CoH? It sounds like GW2 is taking part of their approach to the no trinity.

I played CoX...and can't agree on it actually being a non-trinity title. That title is SO steeped in the trinity it's unreal. Not by design, but by rote-of-those-playing.

You're a tank, DPS, or support. I played every slot over 16 characters, and when I took my Controller (a damage/control/healing build version) out most often I got the biggest kvetching from Tanks screaming about how I'm not just spam-healing like a good bot because I'd taken Empathy(healing) as a secondary and that was more important than my PRIMARY...a damage/control set. Like their bars dipping slightly more was some personal affront to their purity or some such dreck.

Seeing as I held a Stone Tank up for over a half hour when Statesman's Task Force first released the first day it launched (meaning when none of us had a clue of strategy) while containing Recluses adds and kept the REST of the team up as well until we downed him with only two deaths overall, I felt that my approach to build was strong enough. :)

But to be sure, that title is SO not a good example of a non-trinity title. Regardless of the mechanics, the player-base can and more-often-than-not will manipulate team-play into it BEING a trinity title. CoX is a living example of such.

If GW2 can avoid such with it's player-base, mores the better and it has all my good wishes for it. But mechanics aren't guarantees of how play will be/feel/be driven to be sure.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely and absolutely true, yep. And thank you for the compliment as well!

I must say, some of the posts have been off topic, but the off topic posts have been some of the most well thought out, well written, posted by some of the most even tempered and rational people in the thread. I like that, even if it's off topic, it's good conversation about Good things.

well thats a matter of perspective. I love the PvP in this game, far more than WoW anyway.

I do wish there was a lot more of it. But it is definitely a lot more fun blowing things up and shooting auto cannons or wielding lightsabers than it is auto attacking with a sword twice the size of you.

Sentiments from my guild.. we want MORE PvP and gear and incentives and different kinds of PvP.

But as it stands now, it is decent for launch and 1 month afterwards.

I heard there is a big PvP content patch coming up in March, just crossing my fingers and getting excited for it !

Word. I will be watching it closely, but not with an active sub. Rift and WAR told us the same story, but delivered nothing. Lets hope BW actually does that. There's one thing tho, that i dont see going away. Ppl with core i7s and gtx580SLI and AMD equivalents getting 8-10fps during the stupid base camping farming at ilum. That means you can't bearely control your character. Thats something they need to address as well. But i kinda doubt that they will mess that much with the engine as to make it more responsive and lag free. Who knows?!

Yet the game felt tremendously empty.... I may be forced to call for a lie, again...

Although i would love to believe that my dear SWTOR is doing great, common sense and game region counting and difficulty to find groups when we would easily do, wont support this claim.

Just wanted to point out something funny about their Origin crap which also demonstrates EAwares affinity for spin doctoring:

"Origin has been busy setting and breaking its own records"

I played CoX...and can't agree on it actually being a non-trinity title. That title is SO steeped in the trinity it's unreal. Not by design, but by rote-of-those-playing.

You're a tank, DPS, or support. I played every slot over 16 characters, and when I took my Controller (a damage/control/healing build version) out most often I got the biggest kvetching from Tanks screaming about how I'm not just spam-healing like a good bot because I'd taken Empathy(healing) as a secondary and that was more important than my PRIMARY...a damage/control set. Like their bars dipping slightly more was some personal affront to their purity or some such dreck.

Seeing as I held a Stone Tank up for over a half hour when Statesman's Task Force first released the first day it launched (meaning when none of us had a clue of strategy) while containing Recluses adds and kept the REST of the team up as well until we downed him with only two deaths overall, I felt that my approach to build was strong enough. :)

But to be sure, that title is SO not a good example of a non-trinity title. Regardless of the mechanics, the player-base can and more-often-than-not will manipulate team-play into it BEING a trinity title. CoX is a living example of such.

If GW2 can avoid such with it's player-base, mores the better and it has all my good wishes for it. But mechanics aren't guarantees of how play will be/feel/be driven to be sure.

I played CoH for a little bit and found this to be true. It was pretty much player strong armed into being mandatory. I'm very glad to say that ANET is appearing to try and make this behavior simply impossible. Healing in a Majority is up to YOU, the player, to heal YOURSELF. A class like - Necromancer. Can throw down AOE damage that siphons life from his targets, and grants it to nearby allies in the AOE. However it's no where near as significant as it is that other player using his self heal with tact and intelligence.

The idea is you'll have players swapping weapons, using different skills to enable others time to heal, instead of healing them yourself. It's a much more accountable system I think, in theory. From the video's I've seen from G-star and PAX-11. It's working.

Word. I will be watching it closely, but not with an active sub. Rift and WAR told us the same story, but delivered nothing. Lets hope BW actually does that. There's one thing tho, that i dont see going away. Ppl with core i7s and gtx580SLI and AMD equivalents getting 8-10fps during the stupid base camping farming at ilum. That means you can't bearely control your character. Thats something they need to address as well. But i kinda doubt that they will mess that much with the engine as to make it more responsive and lag free. Who knows?!

well, as far as that goes, we don't have a SWTOR driver yet from Nvidia do we? That probably has a lot to do with it.

I must say, some of the posts have been off topic, but the off topic posts have been some of the most well thought out, well written, posted by some of the most even tempered and rational people in the thread. I like that, even if it's off topic, it's good conversation about Good things.

I have a long history of being...let's call it uniquely apprised of what is and isn't relevant or germane to a topic.

Not to imply that I'm being defensive in any way, but as a conversational dab of elaboration, my prior wall of text seems very relevant, from my perspective, to the OP topic as a contrast.

Sort of like the OP is 'A' while my response therein was 'B'.

In other words, I'm not the go-to person for succinctness and brevity. I may, in fact, get smirked at with frequency by colleagues and our boss for it.

:o

Edited by Uruare

I have a long history of being...let's call it uniquely apprised of what is and isn't relevant or germane to a topic.

Not to imply that I'm being defensive in any way, but as a conversational dab of elaboration, my prior wall of text seems very relevant to me to the OP topic as a contrast.

Sort of like the OP is 'A' while my response therein was 'B'.

In other words, I'm not the go-to person for succinctness and brevity. I may, in fact, get smirked at with frequency by colleagues and our boss for it.

:o

Oh I wasn't directly meaning you, but we had started on GW2 hadn't we? Your post was VERY on topic, it's mine that haven't been. The topic is good for what it is, but it's diluted at this point by the barking of fools who can't let go of whatever hardline stance they have taken, be it pass or fail.

It's late, I may have you confused with another poster. :confused:

Edited by VenthiosLestaran

If you remembered, when you entered your product key you were required to enter a payment method or game time card your subscription became active. Take that fact and then apply it to the numbers. Of course 85% are actively subscribed as of 12/31/11 because everyone was playing it at launch. When the Q1 report comes in I am sure the number of active subscriptions gets buried in the press release.

Oh I wasn't directly meaning you, but we had started on GW2 hadn't we? Your post was VERY on topic, it's mine that haven't been. The topic is good for what it is, but it's diluted at this point by the barking of fools who can't let go of whatever hardline stance they have taken, be it pass or fail.

It's late, I may have you confused with another poster. :confused:

Hmm, nope. I haven't had anything to say about GW2. Though if I did, it would be that I feel a great deal of pre-emptive sympathy for NCSoft, as it seems like every passing month finds a growing number of people declaring that it shall be their bastion in the face of all this failure...whatever the failure is that they're decrying, be it real or imagined.

I fear that GW2 may have to tangibly manifest and issue sexual favors while being fully playable on wristwatches in addition to having customized class structuring psychically tailored to the individual player -and- offering every game experience known to man...and a few that will necessarily be invented for innovation's sake.

Me, I think I'll certainly give it a look at, but...man, that's a lot of pressure to be put under by an aggregating sum of vocal persons across the gaming community.

Edited by Uruare

COH had the trinity. I played a tank and a healer in that game......

Yes, the trinity existed in that game - but for most things (even AV fights) it wasn't the only viable strategy. Tanks and healers were nice but not necessary (with rare exceptions), and a team of almost any composition could shine if the players were decent.

I don't know that CoH "broke" the trinity though. Rather, my impression is that the game was designed before the trinity really solidified and grabbed a stranglehold on MMO development, and has largely resisted the pressure to succomb to the trinity gospel.

As for GW2, I haven't seen a lot of solid info, but I'm not getting the sense that they're actually breaking the trinity either, so much as giving everyone a self-heal and a way to absorb or mitigate damage.

Hmm, nope. I haven't had anything to say about GW2. Though if I did, it would be that I feel a great deal of pre-emptive sympathy for NCSoft, as it seems like every passing month finds a growing number of people declaring that it shall be their bastion in the face of all this failure...whatever the failure is that they're decrying, be it real or imagined.

I fear that GW2 may have to tangibly manifest and issue sexual favors while being fully playable on wristwatches in addition to having customized class structuring psychically tailored to the individual player -and- offering every game experience known to man...and a few that will necessarily be invented for innovation's sake.

Me, I think I'll certainly give it a look at, but...man, that's a lot of pressure to be put under by an aggregating sum of vocal persons across the gaming community.

I'm pretty confident that ANET isn't going to cave under internet pressure from the extremely loud vocal minority. People want to hope for a game that can be really just -good- and not have parts that just make you feel sour about it. Granted, this is a smidgen unrealistic.

The wisest way to look at it, is if you're looking for something different in more than just a few ways, check out GW2. I can say the performance will be pretty good on mid rage machines (Cards with GTX 460-560 types). Not ancient, not brand new, but modern enough.

They've shown that their systems running it at cons which are probably just a bit over that type of rig. Were not talking 580 gtx cards or 7970's in these demo machines, it would be insane to do that much expensive hardware. But, as I was saying. They shown Quite a large number of people standing together, emoting, casting, with good frames per second on a demo beta client.

Seeing things like that, and their combat system, the radical change of the trinity, the IDEA of the game itself. Well, it has people on edge for something they hope will simply kick the way the genre has been in the past years to the curb.

In short, people who over-hype to a frothing frenzy will be always end up being disappointed - always.

As someone who does M&A and securities work for a living (meaning I read earnings results until my eyes bleed), all I'm going to say is, "Third quarter non-GAAP digital revenue grew 79% year-over year" - that is SICK. Edited by iheartnyc

As someone who does M&A and securities work for a living (meaning I read earnings results until my eyes bleed), all I'm going to say is, "Third quarter non-GAAP digital revenue grew 79% year-over year" - that is SICK.

Ok Sick as in GOOD or sick as in Bad? Not everyone is savy with slang, I'm old and that statement can be read BOTH ways :p please clarify. Thanks.

~Saitada

Sort of the problem with this game isn't it. Man there were so many fanbois hyping this game up to be the most amazing thing ever made, they were bound for disappointment. Me I expected exactly what was delivered. A sort of weird mash up of Kotor and WoW and a rather buggy release (I played nwn it was a mess at launch) So I wasn't disappointed. I have a fairly good idea of what to expect from gw2. I haven't gotten really butt hurt over an mmo since STO, man that one DID send me into an irrational rage. I was frothing.

Edited by mezlabor

Sort of the problem with this game isn't. Man there were so many fanbois hyping this game up to be the most amazing thing ever made they were bound for disappointment. Me I expected exactly what was delivered. A sort of weird mash up of Kotor and WoW and a rather buggy release (I played nwn it was a mess at launch) So I wasn't disappointed. I have a fairly good idea of what to expect from gw2. I haven't gotten really butt hurt over an mmo since STO, man that one DID send me into an irrational rage. I was frothing.

What, you didn't like flying into battle with the U.S.S Depaherp? :p I played STO at launch, the starship stuff was pretty fun. Very easy to level in though. You, like most are rational people who don't lose their minds. We got what we knew was coming.

1.7 million subscriptions out of 2 million sales as pretty close to a 100% retention rate which I would find very hard to believe even for the most amazing of games.

Agreed(with this snippet). Congrats Bioware! That is an awesome retention rate and it will only increase the longer the game is out.

Keep up the GREAT work Bioware

What, you didn't like flying into battle with the U.S.S Depaherp? :p I played STO at launch, the starship stuff was pretty fun. Very easy to level in though. You, like most are rational people who don't lose their minds. We got what we knew was coming.

Heh... I played STO and still do now and then, but was terribly disappointed in some of the things they did. Ground combat was horrid with some of the severely OP mobs, and space combat sucked in PvP when you entered a WZ and had no way of knowing a klink was cloaked up.. and waiting for you.. until he rolf stomped you. Though I do admit to LOVING the PvP from the klink side (lol yes.. I rolled a klink and rofl stomped you federation scum).

~Saitada

Ok Sick as in GOOD or sick as in Bad? Not everyone is savy with slang, I'm old and that statement can be read BOTH ways :p please clarify. Thanks.

~Saitada

I showed this to my boss and all he said was "wow." You rarely see this kind of growth for an established publicly listed company.

Heh... I played STO and still do now and then, but was terribly disappointed in some of the things they did. Ground combat was horrid with some of the severely OP mobs, and space combat sucked in PvP when you entered a WZ and had no way of knowing a klink was cloaked up.. and waiting for you.. until he rolf stomped you. Though I do admit to LOVING the PvP from the klink side (lol yes.. I rolled a klink and rofl stomped you federation scum).

~Saitada

Hahah. I played a Federation Heavy cruiser (mix and match Sovereign Class.) That focused on shield extending and transfer. It was a lot of fun in pvp, I played with a few good friends, so we had a blast in space, ground WAS horrible though.

I'm shocked at the number of people who still are doomsaying about Tor.

Well no, I guess I really shouldn't be. Haters gonna hate, after all.

But one thing I'd like to mention that I haven't seen brought up; The whole "Well I only see x amount of people on my planet!!!!" thing.

Not sure if you haters have noticed but there are multiple instances of the planets depending on actual population. Open your map and look in the lower right hand side where it says "Republic Fleet #" and click the dropdown. Chances are you'll see multiple options. No idea what the cutoff number is...but I regularly see upwards of 200 people on the republic fleet anytime I go there.