PSA: Tell us if you're new to the Flashpoint

Since we have a LFG tool now, I just wanted to throw out this little nugget of information for anyone new to flashpoints in general or just a specific one you queued for.

Dont be afraid to tell the group this is your first time in the Flashpoint.

You may think with all the negativity in the forums or in general chat that they'll just rip you apart telling you how much of a noob you are and yada yada yada. However, this rarely ever happens. Sure, there are a few bad apples that might laugh or make fun, but in general you will always get positive responses.

Telling the group 'I'm new to this Flashpoint, so any tips or pointers that I should know before a pull, I would appreciate' is one of the best ways to introduce yourself to a group if you're new to the instance. It shows you're social(since you talked), shows you're willing to learn(since you asked), and shows you have respect for the other people in the group(since you're admitting that you're new to the flashpoint).

If you have a few people laugh or make fun of you, then you can drop group if you want. But more often than not the other people in the group will be more than happy to help teach you the ropes of the instance(especially if you listen).

With DPS having to wait an hour or more to get a group, does it really surprise you that they'd rather take their chances that they'll figure out what to do instead of getting votekicked instantly before they even get to fight anything?

With DPS having to wait an hour or more to get a group, does it really surprise you that they'd rather take their chances that they'll figure out what to do instead of getting votekicked instantly before they even get to fight anything?

But that just rarely ever happens. I've been MMOs for going on 3 years now. 95% of the time I enter a new dungeon or raid or flashpoint or heroic or whatever, and I'm new to it, I freely admit to being new and to please give me any tips or pointers ahead of time so that I know what to expect.

Its soooooooooo very rare that people actually make fun of me for not knowing the instance. And to be honest, if they do have an issue that big enough they feel the need to voice it after I said I'm new, then I dont need to be grouping with them anyways. Me telling everyone I'm new isn't going to ease my burden and make me play flawlessly in the instance, there could be a chance of failure(Especially if people need to break apart and complete their own mini task away from the party).

I'm not a rude person, I dont wanna waste someone's time in general, but even more so if they're so aggravated about me being new in an instance. So me leaving the group is the best solution, for both parties, if someone flips out or makes fun because I'm new to the flashpoint. But again, that rarely ever happens, usually people are thankful I spoke up and are more than happy to help teach me the ropes

Edited by FourTwent

I never did any flashpoints as I was leveling up, after saying hello its normally the first thing I say.

People have been fine so far, though not sure if its cause my gear is rakata/bh, it might be a different story if I also required the gear from drops.

The groups i've been in have been happy to explain individual encounters, but I really have to make sure I keep up as they go some convoluted routes to avoid some mobs.

I never did any flashpoints as I was leveling up, after saying hello its normally the first thing I say.

People have been fine so far, though not sure if its cause my gear is rakata/bh, it might be a different story if I also required the gear from drops.

The groups i've been in have been happy to explain individual encounters, but I really have to make sure I keep up as they go some convoluted routes to avoid some mobs.

I've always had this experience. Yet time and time again in a flashpoint you'll see a wipe because someone used an AoE ability while some mobs were CC'd or doing too much damage to the boss when they should have been taking out adds. People dont know do do/not do these certain things at certain times in a flashpoint because no one has every told them, because they never asked.

It could just be an easy lie to say 'this is my first time in here' if they caused a wipe by doing something wrong. But when I first started playing MMOs I would keep quite and just try to follow the pack. It worked out to an extent, but there were plenty of mistakes made my on my end simply because I didn't take the time to say I was new and ask for help. At least that's how I felt when I had first started playing, I didn't wanna be the 'noob' of the group.

Nice post :D However, I have been groups where they run the whole Flashpoint and Vote kick the person they felt new or had Pvp gear on trying to earn points to get pve gear.

This is something im sure its been some bad apples as you say. I have been on other MMo where you can vote to kick and yes it has a very bad downfall .. all takes is leader screaming that person is moron, or hit need cause well they may NEED IT! under pressure to complete and get this over 9/10 the group will do what the leader wants :(

I totally agree that you should speak up. It helps the whole group when they know you're new.

I am one of those new people to the HM's (not to MMO's or tanking in general) and feel its fair warning. After all, when your tank is blankly staring at an encounter...most groups get a little panicky.

Please, if you don't know what to do, ask.

I had a group last night that wasn't familiar to the FP (Lost Island) and would not follow instructions. We wiped multiple times because they wouldn't listen to someone who knew what to do.

Yeah, definitely. The actual tactics are usually pretty simple as long as everyone knows how to play their role, so explaining it to the new guy is very easy. Wiping repeatedly since he don't know what to do though..that's very annoying, and is much more likely to get you kicked then admitting that you're new.

I usually take the time before any boss with special mechanics to ask to make sure everyone know what to do anyway, but it's still appreciated if you tell us from the start.

Definatly agreed when somone says they havnt done it before its just 2 mins to explain but you get the people who will wait until they die at a boss then claim "noone explained" ....but you said you had done it? lol

I have forgotten some of the bosses myself there is no shame in saying hold up gang cant rememver this guy tacs or just tank and spank?

easy :)

I agree. I did Directive 7 for the first time with the group finder, and let everyone know.

We stopped at each major boss and discussed strategy beforehand. Everyone was helpful and we pulled it off.

/giggle you said "pulled it off".

on a serious note, well done, I have no issues grouping with people who haven't done it before, as long as they ask it makes it easy.

I'm a tank. If I don't say "I've never done this one.. does anyone know the fights?", then it'll mean wipes all around. I think that right now, most people realize that a lot of new people are using the tool that haven't done many FPs and they're ok with explaining things. I've done D7 and KoS so far and only 1 group member in both groups had ran a FP since maybe Athiss. Edited by Galbatorrix

I think the onus should be on the group leader, which is almost always the tank. Some people are shy or don't want to incur the uber 'leet player wrath so they stumble through FPs. I have done every FPs, most countless times(on various toons). Yesterday, I ran False Emperor as a tank and died at the BH because the teammates did not interrupt via the console. Thankfully, it was not a wipe because I was able to quickly explain it and the healer resuscitated me.

I think never assume anything and always ask at the start if everyone is on the level. Also, between the nerfs to the FPs and the fact that people are not running level 40 blues anymore, it has been a faceroll fest.

I wonder if I can actualy do LI now ...