[1.3.5 Patch] BUG - Colonel Vorgath

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly could the "whole story" be? They made a change, obviously did NOT test it at all, pushed it live, and now it doesn't work.

Like previous posters said, ONE run to that boss to test their change would have uncovered the bug. It's obvious nobody even bothered to test this change.

While it's likely this patch was never tested, I would suggest that anyone heaping all the blame on QA Testers should probably look a Penny Arcade and PVP Online's collection called "The Trenches". It documents experiences that games testers go through when testing games before release (I cannot remember if there are any which are MMO up-keep test stories, but I think some have mentioned DLC). It's a rather disturbing look at how the game industry treats one of its most important divisions.

Either I missed something, or everyone in this thread seems to be conflating two different issues. The patch note refers to the player in the tower launching probes (which was an actual problem, on at least occassion I've wiped because a probe wasn't launched and a mob spawned while it was being relaunched), and as I understand it the bug has to do with demolition drones not being revealed. They appear to be completely different systems, related only in that you need a probe to reveal drones. Am I wrong, or is everyone else mixing the probe launched by the player with the drone it reveals? I don't think my interpretation is inconsistent with the patch note, as using the probe launcher reveals a probe (i.e. a hologram of the person in the tower with a floating light) on the field, but I want to make sure I'm not taking crazy pills before I accuse most everyone in the last 13 pages of bandwagoning and hyperbole and I don't have access to torhead to make sure I have the droid's name right (I am pretty sure its an Imperial Demolition Drone).

Either I missed something, or everyone in this thread seems to be conflating two different issues. The patch note refers to the player in the tower launching probes (which was an actual problem, on at least occassion I've wiped because a probe wasn't launched and a mob spawned while it was being relaunched), and as I understand it the bug has to do with demolition drones not being revealed. They appear to be completely different systems, related only in that you need a probe to reveal drones. Am I wrong, or is everyone else mixing the probe launched by the player with the drone it reveals? I don't think my interpretation is inconsistent with the patch note, as using the probe launcher reveals a probe (i.e. a hologram of the person in the tower with a floating light) on the field, but I want to make sure I'm not taking crazy pills before I accuse most everyone in the last 13 pages of bandwagoning and hyperbole and I don't have access to torhead to make sure I have the droid's name right (I am pretty sure its an Imperial Demolition Drone).

I don't think people are confusing the two, merely making an assumption that the bug is likely a direct result of the change. Anyone who would argue otherwise does not have very good deductive reasoning skills

well there are 2 facts here:

1. the bug that was supposedly fixed was /is in the same encounter that's now broken

2. the bug is not circumstantial, you can reproduce it 100% of the times and 5 minutes of testing the encounter would have shown that.

Edited by macumba

It does make you wonder though...all theyd have to do is release every patch 1 week late and let it be tested on PTS for a week to be fixed. We'd run into a dozen less problems this way.
Quoted in hopes that someone who types in yellow will notice and pass it on. However, I'm not a Blue Lantern, so I can only hope so much.

Quoted in hopes that someone who types in yellow will notice and pass it on. However, I'm not a Blue Lantern, so I can only hope so much.

Didn't 1.3 come out with a lot of issues which were found on the PTS but never fixed?

Edited by Tatile

They are not saying anything because they're not sure what the problem is or they're not sure how to fix it. Once they work that out then they will give a timeframe. They don't want to be in a position where they promise something when they're not 100% sure it will work - I mean look at the raging over just this, can you imagine how some hysterics would respond if they delayed the patch or the patch didn't fix the problem.

I disagree. Announcing they have a fix in work or testing (assuming they still do that!) and scheduling downtime for deployment would give people some sense of schedule. And even if they had to cancel/reschedule that downtime at the last minute, at least we could see that fixing this is a top priority for them and they are aggressively trying to get a fix out. No communication whatsoever leads people to imagine the worst, like your first suggestion that they don't know what the problem is or how to fix it.

I don't think people are confusing the two, merely making an assumption that the bug is likely a direct result of the change. Anyone who would argue otherwise does not have very good deductive reasoning skills

But its a terrible assumption seeing as the change, making the probe launcher work all the time, has nothing to do with the bug, that invisible droids aren't being revealed by the probe. The more likely culprit is the Floating Light change to Kaon, since the probe in the Colonel Vorgath fight also has a Floating Light. I would love to see your argument otherwise.

well there are 2 facts here:

1. the bug that was supposedly fixed was /is in the same encounter that's now broken

2. the bug is not circumstantial, you can reproduce it 100% of the times and 5 minutes of testing the encounter would have shown that.

1. Don't look at the encounter. Look at the system that was affected.

2. I never said that the new bug is circumstantial, but if testing the bug fixed in the patch (which was circumstantial) didn't require revealing any probes, then there is no reason to assume that they tested that part of the encounter. They probably should have because of the Floating Light, but not because of the probe launching.

it's something else entirely, when you set out to fix problem-A, and COMPLETELY FAIL to fix it, and not only that, break it even more.

Maybe they confused the developer, or there is a language barrier. The original bug report probably said something like "probe launcher sometimes fails to reveal probes, needs to be consistent". So the "fix" was to make it NEVER reveal probes. Bug fixed, right? :)

I disagree. Announcing they have a fix in work or testing (assuming they still do that!) and scheduling downtime for deployment would give people some sense of schedule. And even if they had to cancel/reschedule that downtime at the last minute, at least we could see that fixing this is a top priority for them and they are aggressively trying to get a fix out. No communication whatsoever leads people to imagine the worst, like your first suggestion that they don't know what the problem is or how to fix it.

I agree mate, they are totally disrespecting guilds and our schedules in favor of trying to correct an issue for PuGs who were trying to do the encounter incorrectly (see my post above on this page).

Maybe they confused the developer, or there is a language barrier. The original bug report probably said something like "probe launcher sometimes fails to reveal probes, needs to be consistent". So the "fix" was to make it NEVER reveal probes. Bug fixed, right? :)

At least its consistent...

I belive it's fixed. My guild mate said he completed ec hm earlier today. Im gonna do ec hm now to see if he's troling me or not

Can anyone confirm this? It would be great to have some sort of update from Bioware.

Can anyone confirm this? It would be great to have some sort of update from Bioware.

this is a very widely known problem, if they fixed it, you can bet your *** they'll be advertising it via every notification they can.

it's not gonna be a secret push to server.

Hello everyone! We will be deploying a patch tomorrow morning to fix this issue and ensure that the Probe Droids will appear as intended. We appreciate your reports and understanding.

:ph_thank_you:

I takes 2 days to fix a problem where there wasn't a problem in the first place.

2 nights of raiding gone. Thanks dev team.