Mobile crafting app

Aedralei

I have a suggestion for the game that I would love to see added. A mobile app for crafting. Last night i'm sitting there knitting and sending out my companion to craft, since that game doesn't actually require any effort for crafting why not make it mobile?

I cannot disagree more

The fact that you have to be on your computer playing to actually get anything to work in the game is the thing that actually makes sense

Whats next a levelling app?

How does that "actually make sense"? Because it's what we used to do? Since I don't actually have a percentage I'm not going to say "most players have an android/iOS phone or tablet" but it's certainly getting there if it isn't the case already.

If anything it makes quite a lot of sense to make an app.

I'd adress the last part of your post but even you must have known how ridiculous of an assumption that is. The two aren't even related aside from the word "app".

Edited by Kenthen

I think this is where we are heading anyway with MMO's.More and more people will have access to mobile devices, so why not make it possible to play on mobile devices. And I don't mean doing dungeons, but crafting or accessing the auctionhouse would be viable options for MMO's. It would also be nice to have access to social media in SWTOR (like twitter and facebook). I liked that in Rift for example.

I cannot disagree more

The fact that you have to be on your computer playing to actually get anything to work in the game is the thing that actually makes sense

While I pretty much agree with this statement, higher end crew skills can take an hour or more to complete, and technically, you're not doing the work, your crew is! :D

I'd like to see a sort of auto-mission feature, where I can say, "okay, here's 50k credits that I've set aside for crew skills. run random missions for x skill until you run out of money or my inventory is full." or "Keep crafting x until it's grey or you run out of mats."

It would also be nice if we had the option to put have the crew drop their haul or finished product back in the cargo hold.

Edited by Rilauven

I like the idea of being able to check on things at least and see how sales are going. Chat to guild would also be nice. This can be taken fairly far or kept simple though I hope if they do come up with something it is not to game changing and more for information purpose.

That said I would not be against the ability to send your companions out to harvest or make stuff. You will run out of money eventually so you cannot go to crazy anyway

The problem I see with a mobile phone app is that at some point an app maker will figure out how to make the whole process automated. At that point we'll have gold farmers with 10 different characters running slicing missions 24hrs a day.

I'd love to have the app as well, but mostly for the reasons I just stated.

I have a suggestion for the game that I would love to see added. A mobile app for crafting. Last night i'm sitting there knitting and sending out my companion to craft, since that game doesn't actually require any effort for crafting why not make it mobile?

The thing is... they implemented the crew system so you could do other things within the game. It's so you can have more free time either hopping onto an alt, do some space missions, pvp, quest or do whatever within the game.

I'm pretty sure they didn't implement the system so people could go for a smoke outside, watch tv, surf their facebook or knit a sweater.

The thing is... they implemented the crew system so you could do other things within the game. It's so you can have more free time either hopping onto an alt, do some space missions, pvp, quest or do whatever within the game.

I'm pretty sure they didn't implement the system so people could go for a smoke outside, watch tv, surf their facebook or knit a sweater.

Pshaw, considering how long it takes to do anything past the early skill levels then they've effectively negated any convenience of letting your crew work for you anyway, if you ask me.

That's a slight exaggeration, but still, now I might actually HAVE to go get a smoke, watch TV or surf on Facebook while crafting. I don't always have something productive to waste my time on in-game while my crew "works".

Either way, I don't really feel an app like that would hurt the game. But then again, the post above mine says we can already do this and that it did hurt the game, so that shows what I know.

Edited by Kenthen

I'd like to see a sort of auto-mission feature, where I can say, "okay, here's 50k credits that I've set aside for crew skills. run random missions for x skill until you run out of money or my inventory is full." or "Keep crafting x until it's grey or you run out of mats."

I love this idea. Here is my credit card Vette. Go do some digging and bring me back the shiny stuff.

I cannot disagree more

Oh no change is coming! Everyone band together we must NOT allow people to be able to use their crew skills from a tablet while sitting 3 feet from their computer! that is absurd! You MUST be actually on your computer clicking the buttons, it is ENTIRELY different and over powered doing the EXACT same thing on a smaller, portable device, it CHANGES EVERYTHING, that is OP.

Seriously, its the same *********** thing, how is pressing "send companion" on a computer any different than doing it on a smaller, portable computer, cuz ya know, Computer=phone=tablet=laptop.

Edited by Babykoui

• 1 month later...

Greetings everyone,

We know that mobile apps for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is a topic that many players are interested in. Principal Lead Systems Designer Damion Schubert talked about mobile apps in a recent Weekly Q&A:

GnovaD: Are there any plans to introduce mobile apps to the game? Eg. Use smart phone/tablet to send companions on missions while offline.

Damion Schubert: Let's just say that this has always been a dream of mine for crew skills - it's almost as if this design was created specifically with this in mind, doesn't it? Good news, sometimes dreams do come true! The bad news is that I have no ETA for you, though, as this is a significant technical endeavor.

We hope this sheds some light on the subject. Thank you for your feedback!

Can't wait for this feature. Hopefully after the mobile app, they will investigate making the crafting systems a little more diverse. I would love the ability to actually craft the items myself when I'm in the game, maybe with the bonus of doing it a little faster than companions.

• 2 months later...
Oh no change is coming! Everyone band together we must NOT allow people to be able to use their crew skills from a tablet while sitting 3 feet from their computer! that is absurd! You MUST be actually on your computer clicking the buttons, it is ENTIRELY different and over powered doing the EXACT same thing on a smaller, portable device, it CHANGES EVERYTHING, that is OP.

Seriously, its the same *********** thing, how is pressing "send companion" on a computer any different than doing it on a smaller, portable computer, cuz ya know, Computer=phone=tablet=laptop.

Considering that sitting on your computer farming crew missions all day is very unhealthy and creating an alternative while feeling connected to your addicting MMORPG (face it folks, it's addicting and that's why you love it) would promote an active social life and retain your love for the game while also keeping you competitive with other players/allowing more players to be able to find the items they're looking for in-game a lot easier. Adding a mobile app connected to the game is pure genius, just the option alone will generate more subscriptions to the game because people love their Facebook farming games and this would add a bigger community, mobile access, and the huge appeal of the Star Wars universe at their fingertips. I suggest prioritizing this app just after in-game bugs because as far as new updates go this would be #1 in my book.

Although there is nothing wrong with this suggestion, you didnt really think through how huge an undertaking it would be, did you? Information out of a database that a server exports like the api key applications for eve or armory for wow are one thing, but trading in real time data with the server is really different and requires tons of effort to be expending to programming, planning QA etc, not to mention the numerous issues that could arise with server security.

Crafting as it stands is accounts only for a little amount of the game and with a ton of really important issue currently on the plate like the urgent need for cross-realm, transfers and merges, i wouldnt dim it worth the resources as it stands and if the future is stuff like open world pvp and/or revamp to space combat i wouldnt really weight it against them.

Although its a noble think to ask them to enrich the gaming experience aside for the numerous issues with these perk in reality it wouldnt enrich the game at all, it would be just slicing with 4-5 alts for easy money for most people and thus wouldnt really add anything.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Incase the devs dont know, or are worried about how to do this, the Unity game engine will do iOS and Android.

There is a free download of Unity but I do not know the exact breadth of scope on the free version.

Just make the app in Unity and push it out to both platforms at same time, easy. (in theory)