Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Group finder created an all DPS group...

And shockingly enough, we went through without a single death.

It was the Esseles, or however it's spelled, so a level 14 group. But it was full DPS, with one person still a knight. Hadn't even selected a specialized class. Needed everything too. Couldn't kick him either, one person never spoke, and the other insisted the guy meant no harm.

Does the group finder do this often?

I'm worried, I don't want this game to go easy-mode like WoW has. Some semblance of difficulty is part of the reason why I like this game.

Esseles and Black Talon Storymode are designed for group of 2 players + companions. Originally, the groupfinder for them required the standard composition Tank + Healer + 2 DPS. However, after the Czerka Flashpoints came out - where the SM version is designed for any group regardless of roles - people pointed out that the same holds true for Black Talon & Esseles, and thus that the groupfinder should ignore roles for these Flashpoints. Which was indeed implemented in some relatively recent patch (post 2.3 I think).

So, Groupfinder for Esseles, Black Talon, and both Czerka Flashpoints takes first four player regardless of roles - in Storymode. All the other Flashpoints, starting with Hammer Station SM, require the Tank + Healer + 2 DPS combination.

About the esseless. You can solo it at lv14. So I wouldnt care to much that it was a dps-only group (matter of fact .... at lv 14 you can't heal or tank efficiently yet). Count your blessings that 4 dps made it a faster run ;-)

If the rest of the game is easymode? Well, ehm ... yes and no. If you consider that my first toon got to lv50 safely without understanding my rotation than yes .... levelling is easymode.

The HM flashpoints and opses are better/challenging however if you are at the appropriate gearlevel.

Thank you for the info everyone!

About the esseless. You can solo it at lv14. So I wouldnt care to much that it was a dps-only group (matter of fact .... at lv 14 you can't heal or tank efficiently yet). Count your blessings that 4 dps made it a faster run ;-)

If the rest of the game is easymode? Well, ehm ... yes and no. If you consider that my first toon got to lv50 safely without understanding my rotation than yes .... levelling is easymode.

The HM flashpoints and opses are better/challenging however if you are at the appropriate gearlevel.

I don't really mind if leveling is easy, to be honest. I just worry if dungeons and raids and the like are too easy. For example, in WoW, it has gotten to the point that you almost never need a healer or a tank in most dungeons, thanks to everyone having powerful self-heals and the ridiculous amount of good gear that is spat out everywhere. I've even seen NEWER raids beaten with less-than-max-members groups with poor party composition. I know this because I've seen (and done) it myself.

Basically, I'm hoping SWTOR still takes some skill in the later level dungeons, and in raids. Or whatever the SWTOR version of a raid is called.

I don't really mind if leveling is easy, to be honest. I just worry if dungeons and raids and the like are too easy. For example, in WoW, it has gotten to the point that you almost never need a healer or a tank in most dungeons, thanks to everyone having powerful self-heals and the ridiculous amount of good gear that is spat out everywhere. I've even seen NEWER raids beaten with less-than-max-members groups with poor party composition. I know this because I've seen (and done) it myself.

Basically, I'm hoping SWTOR still takes some skill in the later level dungeons, and in raids. Or whatever the SWTOR version of a raid is called.

I've done the Czerka HMs without a healer (using a companion), but I don't mind saying that I had to work at it. We didn't wipe at all, but there were some very dicy moments. Probably would have been easier if my companion were in better than Campaign gear. I was in essentially full Dread Forged when I did this though, and the DPS with me were pretty close. We were doing the content PTS just to test something, so probably not playing our best, but it was pretty obvious that we were over gearing it.

In general, 8 man raids will require the full 2 tank, 2 healer, 4 DPS setup, while 16 man will require 2 tank, 4 healer, 10 DPS (except for EC, which requires 3 tanks). If you overgear content, you can get away with running the "wrong" composition. Also, some fights push one role disproportionately to other roles. It is common to 3 heal Nefra and Tyrans, for example, and also common to 5 heal 16 man Dread Masters.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

The good news is that the farther away you get from 14ish the less* you will see people like the guy Needing everything. As the others say you BT/Ess ignores the roles and before 15 most dont have anything to really tank or heal with.

*There are still always jerks the other day at level 35 I had some guy who needed everything, even the greens that dropped, after we called him on it he was offended, "well of course I needed it, I can sell them you Noobs!" at least we were able to kick him quickly after that statement.

It is rather alarming the amount of 3 healer groups I have gotten for the daily CR FPs. 45 minute healer queues otherwise is absurd!

yeah it's pretty weird. i sometimes get groups with 3 healers and 1 tank, 3 tanks and 1 healer, or 4 healers. what happened to all the dps? :rak_02:

More flashpoints are 2mannable.

Me and a friend did Boarding party and the next one (with HK-4X) with just him as sorc healer and me as sorc dps with Khem val and Treek. Bonus bosses was possible in the HK fp, not in boarding party.

Took us a while, but we had fun

::EDIT:: we were undergeared by 10 lvls and underleveled aswell by a few lvls

Edited by Aerilas

Since it is your first time in the game, it will be fairly difficult. The veterans generally have their toons geared with treek and lots of presence.

My guild have not fully completed the progression raids yet, we are finding them challenging. Ops/Raids in swtor is challenging in HM and NiM. Flashpoints are challenging when you go with the gear level it was designed for.

Have fun,

Sermer.

And shockingly enough, we went through without a single death.

It was the Esseles, or however it's spelled, so a level 14 group. But it was full DPS, with one person still a knight. Hadn't even selected a specialized class. Needed everything too. Couldn't kick him either, one person never spoke, and the other insisted the guy meant no harm.

Does the group finder do this often?

I'm worried, I don't want this game to go easy-mode like WoW has. Some semblance of difficulty is part of the reason why I like this game.

I went through something like this, had our one non knight leave and be replaced by a sentinel, so we were all sentinels except for one knight who had not chosen an adv class, and claimed he did not have time to pick one, but was going to be a sentinel

yeah it's pretty weird. i sometimes get groups with 3 healers and 1 tank, 3 tanks and 1 healer, or 4 healers. what happened to all the dps? :rak_02:

I've noticed that when you queue with double role selected for role none-specific flashpoints, it places you as a healer or tank, regardless of your actual spec/gear at the time or who else was placed in your group. people placed as healers/tanks may not necessarily be healers/tanks. it just group finder showing that they potentially could be.