A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

@ elvinlordryan

Thanks for calling all people who agree on the stupid repair cost "stupid".

Sorry if we're not as smart as you... your IQ is so high that of course you understood everything in 10sec.

We're all QQ, F2P players or really poor subs player (like me I'm playing swtor since beta).

But hey, see the positive side of it, all QQ and poor players are cancelling their subs !!

What a wonderfull world you'll be living in few weeks... only great players like you, smart with great IQ !

I hope that you'll be smart enough to compensate all the money that EA will be missing due to all cancellation subs.. otherwise you'll have a "QQ and poor Financial Manager" who will ask to shut down the servers.

Have fun

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If pointing out that it is possible to have a life outside of the game, and still manage, in the limited time I get to play, to make the credits to afford the higher repair costs throws my credibility out the window, then so be it. How would you respond to all those people who claim that their play time is limited due to real life concerns outside of the game and they do not have the time to do dailies or play the GTN? All I hear is people finding excuses for refusing to make any effort to earn credits to be able to afford the higher repair costs because all they want to do is the "fun' stuff.

And seriously whats wrong with wanting to spend time in a game... That's designed to be fun... Well having fun... oh right for some reason the worlds getting to the point that even games should follow the pattern of real life in which we must work tediously for hours a day in order to reap the benefits.

its no longer work hard to come home and play hard for those of us that are full time workers. we get to work hard at work to come home and... well work hard at a game... and if we have time left over we may get a chance to play hard....

yeah that makes this game all together attractive for casuals. This game has been a great alternative to WoW, eq2, and the other much more time consuming games but if having to farm cash for hours on end a week to just be able to enjoy a hour a week of raids or so then this has lost all appeal for those of us with a real life. Im glad they are looking into it but really they just need to revert it and keep it the same its always been.

and for the post above that talks about how costs rise in real life... yeah you are right they do for many reasons. supply, demand, availablity of resources, etc. none of which do / should apply to repairs costs in a virtual world that supply is constant, demand is constant and is all imaginary. the only virtual fluctuations should be caused in a virtual market...

unless they made repairs market drive (ie you needed crafters to do repairs to repair) in which case then you would have a case for rising costs.

Now see Antiheroxi post is so simple that the folks saying you should farm 2 hours or whatever and are lazy ,are very simply choosing to ignore this type of logic.

Its. A. Game....not real life work nor should it feel like real life work especially since most people use this a game as a form of escapism (same as watching tv or movies) at least for a while to get away from real life stuff.

And seriously whats wrong with wanting to spend time in a game... That's designed to be fun... Well having fun... oh right for some reason the worlds getting to the point that even games should follow the pattern of real life in which we must work tediously for hours a day in order to reap the benefits.

its no longer work hard to come home and play hard for those of us that are full time workers. we get to work hard at work to come home and... well work hard at a game... and if we have time left over we may get a chance to play hard....

yeah that makes this game all together attractive for casuals. This game has been a great alternative to WoW, eq2, and the other much more time consuming games but if having to farm cash for hours on end a week to just be able to enjoy a hour a week of raids or so then this has lost all appeal for those of us with a real life. Im glad they are looking into it but really they just need to revert it and keep it the same its always been.

and for the post above that talks about how costs rise in real life... yeah you are right they do for many reasons. supply, demand, availablity of resources, etc. none of which do / should apply to repairs costs in a virtual world that supply is constant, demand is constant and is all imaginary. the only virtual fluctuations should be caused in a virtual market...

unless they made repairs market drive (ie you needed crafters to do repairs to repair) in which case then you would have a case for rising costs.

I totally agree Antiheroxi. With several 50s and a few that require HM dailies and all weekly raids, I don't have the time or interest in farming (something I don't enjoy) to support HMs and Ops (what I do enjoy) after workin all day. I'm really tired of BW breaking something everytime they try to do something else; after 12 years of gaming I've never been so disappointed in a company. (except maybe SoE, but that was just one major instance.) You all are capable of better, I know it.

Hello Bioware/EA,

Thanks for making such a wonderful game, bugs still exist in the game but I am optimistic about your ability to fix them.

On to the matter of repair costs, I have no direct opinion towards the repair cost change, of course I as a player would like the lowest amount of repair costs possible. This was however something that was discussed as a move to force people to do more dailies. On that topic I think the dailies compared to for example World of Warcraft are a bit over the top in regards to time spent. I would suggest you implement a special reward for doing all dailies for a week (Section X, Belsavis, Black Hole).

To satisfy most players I would suggest moving the repair cost to somewhere in between what it was and what it is now. Either that or doing dailies quicker.

Regards

Jang

I totally agree Antiheroxi. With several 50s and a few that require HM dailies and all weekly raids, I don't have the time or interest in farming (something I don't enjoy) to support HMs and Ops (what I do enjoy) after workin all day. I'm really tired of BW breaking something everytime they try to do something else; after 12 years of gaming I've never been so disappointed in a company. (except maybe SoE, but that was just one major instance.) You all are capable of better, I know it.
I've been hoping this too, but it's getting hard reading their minds and understanding their thought processes. There's not enough communication, so everything they do either comes across as a headless chicken reaction or something that's really just not thought through.

These repair costs are a good example. A bug no-one minded, one that in fact benefitted gameplay, was fixed and the only info you get is hidden in the patch notes.

That's really no good sign for devs actually being in touch with people.

Edited by Lent_San

I've played WoW before and never got into the endgame - and I don't think I shall here. Basically because I don't want to have to 'work' for a few hours with grindy dailies so that I can have my fun. I'm happy levelling up the various classes and experiencing the stories, but when I'm bored of that, the game will be done for me

There very well may have been a bug that got quashed that covered up effectively another issue. Fixing the bug may be needed however if there is another issue that is found by repairing said bug they should definitely look into it. And I think there is an issue here. I noticed it on my new sniper I'm playing I was doing some of the new gree dailies. @#$@ I hate the fast respawns as a low level char!. But as I get more gear that'll be less an issue. I wasn't suddenly poor but I don't see how anyone has a million plus on a new char. course I spent a lot going for blue and purples in armstech so I wouldn't have too much of an issue leveling. Maybe it compensates for lack of skill Who knows /Really CARES. I'll learn.

I haven't done any "scientific" testing of repair costs. My old main Lvl 50 sorcerer used Orange gear I liked the look of. If I got benefit that due to it's "level" I got lesser repair costs. that is a bug. However It's a cost to benefit ratio thing to me that needs to be looked at. I'm hoping they reduce it back to reasonable. Reasonable to me is a cost factored mostly on level of char with a 10% swing for gear. AKA a Green level 49 Mod made by a player to the Highest purple. Get the High end out of the grind except when they want to help. I certainly don't want them steam rolling me :) hehe

For example. Let's look at dailies. Assuming approx. 10k reward what should a "single" death cost you? 1k,5k,10k?

Honestly I have no idea. But Personally I'd set the death "tax" at about 3,333 credits. based on the 10k ish reward. You mess up a lot you go negative. Otherwise you make a fair amount. Or how about "shared" durability. for an op group. Tank randomly give their durability hit to another in the group. Tanks currently take an Heavily weighted penalty compared to most of the rest of a group. It's one of my problems in games.

I used to play EQ. I was an "end gamer" but I hated having to "buy" armor molds. Mostly cause I wanted to avoid mindless grinding and farming to resell junk. Hated that. My expenses were potions. And earning the XP I needed to level /AA. As long as my bank account was slowly increasing I didn't care. I didn't Flood the market with a bunch of junk I didn't Buy much from the "market" other then the potions. Effectively any gold I made was effectively removed from the economy because I took it. Course it would show that it existed but it wasn't moving. I actually had time to help people and not care at all. They introduce costs to me and then I'll roll greed on the junk and resell it to other players. (This actually HURT them) they all told me to do that. :rolleyes:

I've played WoW before and never got into the endgame - and I don't think I shall here. Basically because I don't want to have to 'work' for a few hours with grindy dailies so that I can have my fun. I'm happy levelling up the various classes and experiencing the stories, but when I'm bored of that, the game will be done for me

This is the nub of the issue. I was similarly in WoW but I stayed 4 years. How does an MMO get you to stay, by making you invest in your characters. One of the problems with saying, 'all I want to do is raid' is that it is not how an MMO is supposed to work, as I understand them.

Many people here seem to want a FPS and not a multi faceted game where you have to do certain 'things' (in this case earn credits) to do others.

Edited by mothear

Oh, look, another emergency maintenance that fixes bugs that make life easier for players yet ignores a problem that makes things a lot more tedious and time-consuming and less fun. GG EA. :rolleyes:

yeah I saw that... they have not done anything regarding the repair cost.

Anyway I was not expecting anything else from them... Neverwinter Online will be around in few weeks.. and then The Elder Scroll Online.

I was ready to keep playing swtor..but the last patch and the repair cost problem definitely hit my patient and commitment on this game.

i'll reply here........ now that for some reason the other thread of 400 pages has been closed.

My personal opinion of this game is that if it turns from being able to afford to enjoy the game into a grind fest (doing dailies x2 x3 each day ) to be able to afford to enjoy my time in the game, then this game isnt a game i want to invest my time and money in. I have two subscribed accounts my daughter also has a subscribed account. I spend money in the cartel shop regularly. But i will not stand by and play a game that DEMANDS that i grind dailies to the level i would have to now to pay for what i used to enjoy in game for a lot less time commitment.

TLDR: if this game feels like i need to spend hours doing dailies to pay for a few hours raiding repairs then im sorry im out. Constantly moving the goalposts just infuriates people Bioware.

Edited by R-Tee-Doo-Tee

i havent got the time to dedicate to 3 lots of dailies a day to afford repairs for one progressional raid in my evening. If i cant raid there isnt much point in me playing because this is what i enjoy doing in game. If im not playing im not subscribing to the three subscriber accounts i have anymore and i will probably move on from the game if no changes are made. Thats the way i feel atm with current costs being as they are.

And just what the heck is wrong with that? SWTOR is a leisure activity. Its supposed to be FUN and ENTERTAINING.

I sure as hell dont pay $15 a month to be made to "work" a 2nd job. This for me is the last straw put on top of other grievances I have about this game that I truly love - THAT is why I and many like myself have unsubscribed.

Im just trying to finish off as many class storylines as possible before my subscription ends now.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to be fun. Not all game are only "fun". Some require "work". MMO's are among these. The very nature of an MMO is all about "work". No one should expect an MMO to be all "fun" and no "work". That's just not the way these games work. You can cry "It's just a game, I shouldn't have to work" all you want, but that does not change the fact that MMO's are all about work. Should we all get 50's upon creation because, after all, leveling is work and some people only play for the "fun" end game? Should we all get campaign or dread guard gear because getting that gear requires effort and "work"?

If all you want to do is the "fun" stuff, then there are plenty of other game genres out there that are just the "fun" stuff and do not require the "work" that MMO's require.

You can call me an elitist, but I consider myself a casual, with very limited play time. Recognizing that an MMO, by its very nature, requires "work" and being willing to put forth some effort in order to be able to enjoy the "fun" stuff does NOT make me an elitist.

In fact you need a healthy balance between fun stuff and work, and work can be fun, depending on what it entails. Grinding daylies is boring, especially in this game where there are no different fighting modes but the same fight over and over again.

If work, the boring kind, outweighs the fun, people will leave. Rightfully so.

Edited by Lent_San

Gamers are per definition lame and want to progress with the least effort. I remember the time in WoW where we got to prepare for a week to do 1 raid.

How come noone complain about 1mil amorings on GTN?

Gemers per definition want entertainment, rather than work, for the money they pay.

People did complain about 1 mil armorings. Then other people who actually had knowledge of what it take to produce those 1 mil armorings made them look like gradeschool girls crying about the wind blowing sand in their eyes.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a game to be fun. Not all game are only "fun". Some require "work". MMO's are among these. The very nature of an MMO is all about "work". No one should expect an MMO to be all "fun" and no "work". That's just not the way these games work. You can cry "It's just a game, I shouldn't have to work" all you want, but that does not change the fact that MMO's are all about work. Should we all get 50's upon creation because, after all, leveling is work and some people only play for the "fun" end game? Should we all get campaign or dread guard gear because getting that gear requires effort and "work"?

If all you want to do is the "fun" stuff, then there are plenty of other game genres out there that are just the "fun" stuff and do not require the "work" that MMO's require.

You can call me an elitist, but I consider myself a casual, with very limited play time. Recognizing that an MMO, by its very nature, requires "work" and being willing to put forth some effort in order to be able to enjoy the "fun" stuff does NOT make me an elitist.

i have worked i have full dread guard and elite war hero on most my toons (in fact all my 50's)

What i wont do is boring repetitive content to the degree i now have to after these changes to pay for repairs.

I WILL work for loot and to help my friends and for the kudos of completing something in game also for fun factor or something rare . I will pay for REASONABLE repair costs

Star wars galaxies made people grind and grind some more and look what happened to that.

You want this game to turn into a ghostship for elite players carry on Bioware.

But let me tell you the regular folk always outnumber the shut ins.

no fun no interest. I can complete dailies easily but should i have to spend 2 hours a day doing something monotonous so that i can spend the same time enjoying my time in game with my guild ? I really dont mind some costs but this game is starting to feel like tax rates in real life. I dont like to feel i have to dedicate the same time grinding cash in game as i have to raiding > stupid.

Edited by Alpha-Llama

In fact you need a healthy balance between fun stuff and work, and work can be fun, depending on what it entails. Grinding daylies is boring, especially in this game where there are no different fighting modes but the same fight over and over again.

If work, the boring kind, outweighs the fun, people will leave. Rightfully so.

That is their choice. There may be an MMO out there that will allow them to do only the "fun" things or it may be that MMO's may not be for them, and another type of game may suit them better.

I agree that dailies are boring, but I also know they are an easy source of credits which I need to be able to do the "fun" things I enjoy.

I see a lot of posters in this thread simply refusing to even entertain the thought of doing dailies or finding a way to earn the credits to afford the higher repair costs. The expectation to be able to do only the "fun" stuff and will not have to do the "boring kind" of "work", or the flat out refusal to do the "work" that an MMO generally requires, is what many would refer to as an "entitled attitude".

That is their choice. There may be an MMO out there that will allow them to do only the "fun" things or it may be that MMO's may not be for them, and another type of game may suit them better.

I agree that dailies are boring, but I also know they are an easy source of credits which I need to be able to do the "fun" things I enjoy.

I see a lot of posters in this thread simply refusing to even entertain the thought of doing dailies or finding a way to earn the credits to afford the higher repair costs. The expectation to be able to do only the "fun" stuff and will not have to do the "boring kind" of "work", or the flat out refusal to do the "work" that an MMO generally requires, is what many would refer to as an "entitled attitude".

When I pay to see a play, I expect to sit in the theater and relax and be entertained. I do not expect to have to sweep the floors or clean the restrooms during intermission to be able to see the next act.

When I pay an entertainment company for a game, I expect that game to be entertaining rather than tedious.

That is not "entitlement". That is "expecting what you paid for".

"Entitlement" is expecting the the government to hand you money, food, health care, and a phone while you sit on your *** watching Oprah all day incubating your 9th out-of-wedlock baby.

Edited by DarthTHC

Nope, you're wrong. If they want pure entertainment, they won't do the same boring ops over and over again. Go out watch a movie instead.

What raiders want is a piece of equipment that makes them feel an edge better than others, and you aren't expecting we all get that superior feeling automatically for 15 bucks a month? Come on.

Gemers per definition want entertainment, rather than work, for the money they pay.

People did complain about 1 mil armorings. Then other people who actually had knowledge of what it take to produce those 1 mil armorings made them look like gradeschool girls crying about the wind blowing sand in their eyes.

Ok, so what? U paid 1mil for a fraction of an equipment. Now with good luck, u pay 1 mil for a full piece (1mil repair cost is by far exaggerating). Whats the big deal?

Edited by ntdviet
missing arguments