Do you "need" moddable gear of the right class but wrong stat?

Just curious, I got in an argument with a guildmate over the subject earlier today and wondered what other people thought.

The example here would be say, rolling on a moddable aim heavy armor piece as a guardian with the intent of replacing the mods while grouped with a trooper who'd consider the piece an upgrade? Or should the trooper get priority? Sorcerer rolling on a str lightsaber ( or vice versa for a guard/sent) if you'd prefer.

Edited by Sylriana

Just curious, I got in an argument with a guildmate over the subject earlier today and wondered what other people thought.

The example here would be say, rolling on a moddable aim heavy armor piece as a guardian with the intent of replacing the mods while grouped with a trooper who'd consider the piece an upgrade? Or should the trooper get priority? Sorcerer rolling on a str lightsaber ( or vice versa for a guard/sent) if you'd prefer.

Personally I think it's very inappropriate to roll need on a Mod-able item when there is some one in the part who could use it right away, without stripping and replacing mods.

If however, you say don't have a member who uses the piece of gear, and you ask the party if anyone has a problem with you rolling to strip it, that's fine.

But no, you don't to roll on a 1 handed Str Light Saber as a Sorcerer when you have A Jugg or Mara you needs the item as is.

You're in a pug group... roll need on whatever you want to use for yourself or your pets. Why would you pass on loot that you want to people who you don't group with regularly/aren't in your guild?

Because you don't want to be a greedy, self serving jerk, and spread that sort of behavior?

Because you don't want to be a greedy, self serving jerk, and spread that sort of behavior?

Pretty much. If I want something for the appearance, I usually warn the group beforehand so that we can decide if we should go together, or go separate ways.

You're in a pug group... roll need on whatever you want to use for yourself or your pets. Why would you pass on loot that you want to people who you don't group with regularly/aren't in your guild?

I hope I am not playing in the realms you play.

I'll roll need if the armorclass is right and I find it a visual upgrade. If this upsets someone, I'll maybe offer to supply whoever lost the roll and was of the appropriate class with the exact same mods that the orange had. It's not that hard to craft them anyway. Or to visit the GTN, plenty of mods there too. Guildies get this offer right away if the situation occurs.

Basically, stats aren't that special on orange drops, especially not in leveling flashpoints. It's their appearance that makes orange drops special.

Well, i tend to need on items that has the right stats that my class needs, i do NOT need on items that do not have other stats.

The Item you are referring to is a trooper armour piece, which means you would be looking like a Jedi Guardian in clone trooper looking armour...that just makes no sense to me.

Pretty much. If I want something for the appearance, I usually warn the group beforehand so that we can decide if we should go together, or go separate ways.

This is a good compromise, if you know you're going to want the orange pretty well in advance. If you don't know you want it before you see it, then yeah, it's not cool to rob someone of an upgrade for your own cosmetic needs.

I'll roll need if the armorclass is right and I find it a visual upgrade. If this upsets someone, I'll maybe offer to supply whoever lost the roll and was of the appropriate class with the exact same mods that the orange had. It's not that hard to craft them anyway. Or to visit the GTN, plenty of mods there too. Guildies get this offer right away if the situation occurs.

Basically, stats aren't that special on orange drops, especially not in leveling flashpoints. It's their appearance that makes orange drops special.

This is also a good compromise, if you're willing to invest the effort/credits into making it right, and assuming the person you beat in the roll already has an orange piece.

Edited by MeanMartian

Which is all good and all... as long as the mods in the armor can actually be made. Not all armorings and mods can be crafted by cybertech, and enhancements are artificier IIRC.

In my opinion;

When leveling, appearance is more important than stats. Anything you roll on is gonna be outdated stat-wise in a couple levels, but the appearance of it can last you till 50 if you really like it.

Endgame, stats are greater than appearance, and need rolls should only go to appropriate class for the stats on the item.

Edited by lueckjathom

Have you seen the Jedi Bubble Butt?

LOL, never heard it called that.

In principle, I think it's okay to roll need on orange gear that you want but maybe has the wrong stats, especially if you don't have an orange for that body part yet.

HOWEVER, I also understand that a lot of people are not okay with that. And in an MMO, not pissing people off is way more important than getting pretty gear.

If you really want it, ask if you can need it. Better yet, make some ground rules before the mission.

HOWEVER, I also understand that a lot of people are not okay with that. And in an MMO, not pissing people off is way more important than getting pretty gear.

Why do you say that? Personally I love it when some little nerd begins to cry because Ashara got her new colomi chest over him. Nerd tears are delicious.

I don't agree with needing on an item just for its mod when there is someone in the group that will actually use the entire item. I mean that is just not right. Now if nobody needs the item and its going to a vender or companion, then you have right to need it as it will improve your character.

If your attitude is "It's better for me so I'm going to need it" then go for it. But don't get mad when you can't switch servers and you can't find a strong guild.

And honestly mods and enhancements from HM's arent worth taking. Only things worth doing that for are the 56 crystals. Other than that why not just farm champion gear for mods?