Inherent traits on oranges... more please?

DemiSeraph

So I have 2 items in my bank that both have (very rare it seems) an actual trait on them. It has the usual 3 mod slots, but also has +50 tech or something like that.

So it looks as though orange items can have inherent bonuses on them. It's extremely uncommon. However this would be very very interested to have generated when crit crafting. Along with certain drops, or schematics.

Not sure how many people have noticed this aside from me but hoping the developers expand upon this system and make orange items have just a bit more appeal outside of just looks.

I don't see how the designers can miss something like this. If they do not make the higher level orange schematics better in some way other than just looks, then many people will simply not use them, ever. Currently, a level 11 orange vest is functionally identical to a level 50 orange vest. That is wrong. The level 50 vest should have a bit more armor inherent at the very least. I would like to see an array of relevant stats applied to higher level orange schematics to make them more desirable to players. Otherwise the market will be flooded with teens-level orange items with augment slots and everyone will look exactly alike.

Just No.

Orange armor is COSMETIC ONLY. The reason to make these schematics is to get a specific LOOK. There should never be any mechanical advantage to taking 1 orange over another. I'm fairly certain all orange weapons start with the same +50 tech or +50 force power. the deep purple item that BH's get as a class reward may have slightly higher 'base' stat, but it is a Legendary item.

I don't think I see the problem. You are saying the ability to easily make a variety of different kinds of orange gear that is nearly infinitely customizable will mean everyone will look the same?

I would think that the majority will go for about 75% BiS and then 25% aesthetic when it comes to their 'fashion sense'.

I'm more interested in knowing how exactly and what armormech augment crafting is going to be like. Something that increases increases 'durability' or was some sort of auto-buff like -10% threat or something.

Just No.

Orange armor is COSMETIC ONLY. The reason to make these schematics is to get a specific LOOK. There should never be any mechanical advantage to taking 1 orange over another. I'm fairly certain all orange weapons start with the same +50 tech or +50 force power. the deep purple item that BH's get as a class reward may have slightly higher 'base' stat, but it is a Legendary item.

Sorry, but you are wrong, friend. It is not JUST cosmetic. It has a cosmetic aspect, surely. But after 1.2 when you are faced with choosing to keep your "Look" or buy a set of teen's orange gear with augment slots which will you choose? No brainer, and everyone who cares will make the same choice.

I don't think I see the problem. You are saying the ability to easily make a variety of different kinds of orange gear that is nearly infinitely customizable will mean everyone will look the same?

No, You misunderstand. My point is that the teen levels gear uses mats that are virtually without cost. The higher level items use very expensive mats. The items created at any level with the current system are functionally identical. If you are a crafter, which items are you going to try to bring to market? If you say the more expensive ones, then you are not exactly a business guru.

No, You misunderstand. My point is that the teen levels gear uses mats that are virtually without cost. The higher level items use very expensive mats. The items created at any level with the current system are functionally identical. If you are a crafter, which items are you going to try to bring to market? If you say the more expensive ones, then you are not exactly a business guru.

The ones the customer wants, which as many customers will want particular appearances, may not be the cheapest ones.

Sorry, but you are wrong, friend. It is not JUST cosmetic. It has a cosmetic aspect, surely. But after 1.2 when you are faced with choosing to keep your "Look" or buy a set of teen's orange gear with augment slots which will you choose? No brainer, and everyone who cares will make the same choice.

And this is the problem with the Orange gear being critable.

I don't understand how BW could be so shortsighted. Its so simple I remember saying this in beta!

For the custom gear to work no piece can have ANY advantage over any other piece. And all stats have to come from the mods that go in the gear.

But for some reason they want to make it so that some gear has advantage which leads to everyone looking the same to get BIS gear!

the only differences in to top tier (50) Rare gear should be special models, colors, decals and other cosmetics.

So I have 2 items in my bank that both have (very rare it seems) an actual trait on them. It has the usual 3 mod slots, but also has +50 tech or something like that.

That is actually a tooltip "bug". It shows weapons/armor as having a (low) rating when it doesn't have any mods in it. The +Tech is part of a weapon's rating.

Put an armoring/barrel/hilt in those oranges and the rating becomes equal to the mod's rating, i.e. the +Tech will be replaced by whatever +Tech corresponds to the new rating (not added to it as you probably hope).

In other words, what you see is not real. Oranges do not have an inherent trait, not even rarely.

Edited by Rhaphael

Actuall I disagree, I have mods in them, and the mod tech value plus the inherent value is what ends up showing as the total then value used toward the toon.

Atleast for the one item that dropped.

Either way, as people have said, we are either going to need massive diversity here, or massive unity in no special oranges.

Personally I would have preferred cosmetic character slots separate from the main slots for geared values. There is a lot of cool gear in the game that is not orange, not high level and thus... sadly pointless :(

Actuall I disagree, I have mods in them, and the mod tech value plus the inherent value is what ends up showing as the total then value used toward the toon.

Atleast for the one item that dropped.

Either way, as people have said, we are either going to need massive diversity here, or massive unity in no special oranges.

Personally I would have preferred cosmetic character slots separate from the main slots for geared values. There is a lot of cool gear in the game that is not orange, not high level and thus... sadly pointless :(

Would you happen to have screenies so we can see what you are talking about?

So it looks as though orange items can have inherent bonuses on them. It's extremely uncommon. However this would be very very interested to have generated when crit crafting. Along with certain drops, or schematics.

Not sure how many people have noticed this aside from me but hoping the developers expand upon this system and make orange items have just a bit more appeal outside of just looks.

Doesn't orange gear have 4 slots if its fully moddable? (or 5 if it were to have an augment)

Edited by elvavwiel

Doesn't orange gear have 4 slots if its fully moddable? (or 5 if it were to have an augment)

Depends.

A blaster or saber will have four slots, armor will only have three.

Everything slots a mod and an enhancement.

Most everything slots a barrel, hilt, or an armor overlay.

Blasters and sabers also get a color crystal.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As far as everyone running around in augmented low-level orange gear after 1.2...

How can you on one hand complain about it but on the other hand discount the market that will exist for higher level orange gear?

You like the look of the lowest level gear? You want to run around in the lowest level gear? Good for you. Nothing wrong with that.

I would wager, though, that the majority of people will select their gear based on the look, and will be happy to pay a premium to not have to wear the lowest level orange gear.

I do not care if I can make one set using aluminum or bronzium but the other requires durasteel or diatium. As long as the money makes up for the cost/effort of the material, I am fine with it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They are supposed to be expanding the orange schematics.

The PvP BH armor, for example. Not the battlemaster stuff, but the generic PVP armor. Has sort of a 'Y' chest pattern. I like the look, but only saw it on some mid-level green gear out in the real world in a green and gold pattern.

While I can buy the orange gear in two different colors, it is still, ultimately, going to be inferior to the augmented orange that my armormech could make.

Hopefully that pattern (amongst others) will become available in a craftable orange schematic.

Edited by Mithros