Change all crafted orange sets to adaptive weight

Heezdedjim

You've clearly shown by now that there is no attempt to restrict classes to a certain "look" anymore with the Pay2Wear, social, and event gear. The least you could do is let crafters get in on the fashion parade by changing all our legacy orange patterns to adaptive weight as well. Then we could forget about tragic mistakes like the Hardened Plastifold set, and put our noob troopers in something like the Drelliad or Apprentice gear, that looks at least somewhat passable.

While you're at it, take the class locks off as well. Keep the level requirements if you must. Or lose those too.

Removing the class locks and making all these sets adaptive weight would also instantly make ALL of them available for companions, which would be a nice help in dressing them, especially at lower levels. As it is, if we want companion orange sets, we're stuck with the meager selection of social gear in-game, which is pretty dire at lower social levels. I mean, as much as I love making Jorgan run around in a tuxedo, it would be nice to have some options.

Edited by Heezdedjim

You've clearly shown by now that there is no attempt to restrict classes to a certain "look" anymore with the Pay2Wear, social, and event gear. The least you could do is let crafters get in on the fashion parade by changing all our legacy orange patterns to adaptive weight as well. Then we could forget about tragic mistakes like the Hardened Plastifold set, and put our noob troopers in something like the Drelliad or Apprentice gear, that looks at least somewhat passable.

While you're at it, take the class locks off as well. Keep the level requirements if you must. Or lose those too.

Removing the class locks and making all these sets adaptive weight would also instantly make ALL of them available for companions, which would be a nice help in dressing them, especially at lower levels. As it is, if we want companion orange sets, we're stuck with the meager selection of social gear in-game, which is pretty dire at lower social levels. I mean, as much as I love making Jorgan run around in a tuxedo, it would be nice to have some options.

I fully agree with this. Crafters need to be given more useful things to make and a larger demand for items. Currently the supply is out of control and the demand is tiny and keeps getting smaller. The cartel market directly competes with crafters in a number of areas and yet has nothing to benefit crafters or improve crafting itself other than increasing bank space.

There are many such things. Every wearable item of endgame gear in the game, for example.

I was talking specifically about protecting things like the Jedi Battle Lord, Colossus, & TD 17A Hydra sets ~ the class specific low level and high level sets need to off limits. The engame armor is 4 sets with 3 recolors per class. Each class has maybe 3 other sets that are class specific, and many of those are just recolors of another piece of gear. That's not enough.

I cringed when the rakghoul event handed out a set of adaptable armor that was a recolor of the trooper PvE endgame set. it wasn't right of them to do that.

There are plenty of armors in the game that are only available as green level gear that modable versions of could be added to game as adaptable armor. And there is a way to do it without touching the tiny bits of gear unique to the classes, or letting people wear tops & legs that don't make any sense at all with their chosen class.

It's not like the general SWTOR public would buy custom gear in the first place, other than a few rare items.

I'd rather that the very few items in the game that exist only for certain classes remain for those classes ... otherwise, let's go Star Trek and have identically cut uniforms for everyone. Maybe we can even craft "red shirts" for whoever winds up being the meat shields for warzones....

Stupid decisions on who can wear what will not be solved by making the same stupid decisions for everything that can be worn: that just compounds the error.

Edited by finelinebob

• 2 months later...
I like the idea. To give complete control over how a toon looks to it's player is a good thing IMO. I'd like if Bioware eventually introduced some sort of SWG-esque Image Designer option that gives a greater selection of character customization options as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Again.

Since the 2.0 changes you have made it clear that crafters have no meaningful role in making stuff that gives you stats. The least you can do is give us a bigger role in making stuff that gives you looks.

Take the class locks off all the crafted orange sets and make them adaptive weight, so we can dress our alts and companions any way we like.

It's time for you to give us something after more than a year of neglect. ROTHC would be a great time for you to throw us a bone. And this would be a nice bone to start with.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I'm for this idea. The problem I have when people say they want to keep the classic orange gear class specific is that it isn't really class specific, just weight specific. Heavy orange armor can be worn by either Juggernauts/Guardians as well as Bounty Hunters and Troopers, even though you can clearly tell which class it is made for. Underneath that is the faction restriction, which I'm on the fence about keeping. While I would love to outfit my Trooper with Bounty Hunter gear, I can't, yet I can put it on my Juggernaut. It would look silly for a Bounty Hunter to be wearing Trooper armor, however, with the Havoc symbol on their chest (unless they hunted down a member of Havoc Squad ... I'm looking at you, Tanno!).

So class restrictions off, yes. Faction restrictions off, maybe.

So class restrictions off, yes. Faction restrictions off, maybe.

Well, there isn't really a faction "restriction," the stuff is all just dual-skinned. If you learn the "different" sets for each faction, this is obvious, since when you preview them they look exactly the same (both have "your" faction's appearance and icon). Someone was apparently just really confused when they made all these duplicate sets, because they are all just copies of the same dual-skinned sets.

The "neutral" sets already had dual skins on the same set, with the same name. Just give it to a character of the opposite faction and it looks completely different, even though it's still the same item. I'm not sure why they went to all the extra work of making dozens of duplicate sets, when they already had the dual personality ones done. They might have wanted to avoid having to list four classes in the class lock; but that's not a feature that is really worth keeping now anyway. The whole thing could be a lot simpler if they just stripped all that junk off and made them all neutral and adaptive weight, but kept the faction specific skins underneath.

I'm all for keeping the faction specific looks, and at this point there is little benefit to collapsing the duplicate sets into "neutral" but still faction-skinned single versions. I agree they should keep their looks either way, but if it made things any simpler, the faction locks aren't actually needed to get those dual looks.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I'd agree with the concept of dropping the class requirements so companions can use more orange gear, but leave the original armor weight class as it is so the designs are still only useful to the classes/they were meant for (and the companions who approximate those classes). I'd also say remove the Valor requirements on the orange PvP gear, but that'd be slightly selfish of me and wouldn't be received well by a decent portion of the player base, so...yeah.

No. Please no.

Differentiation of what it is like to outfit a character of a different class is a good thing.

But this is already in game, I have seen snipers running around in revan's outfit, even some in the jedi outfit from the box, how is that differentiation? I agree with you, I just don't see the point anymore when the cartel market already broke this.