Let us make an Petition, West Coast Server.

-JE-BLAZAR-

And demand the following:

1. 1 West Coast Server

2. If this is not possible, an clear and honest answer, why not?

- Do livestream it, and mainly Keith should do this.

- Also tell what options are on the table and how much you think you can reduce the ping for these people.

1) Demand all you want because this is not going to happen. Its like asking a company on the edge of bankrupting for a raise. They are one more bad game away from closing the door as a whole. They are running SWTOR on the east coast because demographically it is cheaper (smart move). The servers or rather the facilities that were used to run the game are either prepped or are being prepped for another game.

2) Why would you demand that Keith do this he is not even involved with any decision making but rather him and the other forum devs catch the blunt end of being verbally assaulted. At one time one of them was even receiving threatening phone calls at his personal house from players. They have said man times in their stream that they do not have answers because the company completely lacks transparency even with their employees.

3) Whiny Children-

- why can't we have same sex romances

- it's not fair 1 class can beat another in pvp

- I'm mad this part of the story didn't end this way

- threads like this one

- ect aka 90% of the general forums

Like kids not getting their way. They made improvements to the game 10% whined and they listened, then 20%, 30%, and so on. And people wonder why they don't communicate more with the player base?

I could be wrong here, this is pure speculation but if they felt they needed to close a server on one of the coasts they may have opted to close the west coast because there is a far larger population on the east coast compared to the west coast. The west coast is home to 50 million people while the east coast is home to 112 million people, making the east coast population over twice the size of the west coast.

I'm not saying the handled it well, they shouldn't have sprung that on players the last minute, but assumption a close down was fiscally necessary from their point of view there are likely significantly more subscribers on the East Coast than on the West Coast.

I agree with Trixxie though, it isn't BW, none of it is, its all about EA's BS. BW makes some seriously great games, I don't think this is what they would have wanted for this game if it was all up to them which it isn't, unfortunately for us. Nothing is going to change. EA does not care, they don't need to, they could lose half their interests and they would still be rich as all hell. They're like Disney, you can't hurt them and they both suck at Star Wars and were the worst thing to happen to it.

You couldn't pay me to play Anthem. F Electronic Arts.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. 1 West Coast Server

- Also tell what options are on the table and how much you think you can reduce the ping for these people.

1) Demand all you want because this is not going to happen. Its like asking a company on the edge of bankrupting for a raise. They are one more bad game away from closing the door as a whole. They are running SWTOR on the east coast because demographically it is cheaper (smart move). The servers or rather the facilities that were used to run the game are either prepped or are being prepped for another game.

2) Why would you demand that Keith do this he is not even involved with any decision making but rather him and the other forum devs catch the blunt end of being verbally assaulted. At one time one of them was even receiving threatening phone calls at his personal house from players. They have said man times in their stream that they do not have answers because the company completely lacks transparency even with their employees.

3) Whiny Children-

- why can't we have same sex romances

- it's not fair 1 class can beat another in pvp

- I'm mad this part of the story didn't end this way

- threads like this one

- ect aka 90% of the general forums

Like kids not getting their way. They made improvements to the game 10% whined and they listened, then 20%, 30%, and so on. And people wonder why they don't communicate more with the player base?

The only thing they can do to reduce the Ping has has already been done after the moves.

The only thing players can do is use a gaming VPN like WTFast. It reduces mine between 40-60ms

You know it’s not the dev team that made that decision? I’m willing to bet my subscriptions that the Devs would prefer servers in each region and possibly even argued against the moves.

You might, or might not, be right about this. No way to tell for sure... so this remains speculation that cannot be verified.

Keep in mind everyone.... them consolidating to Virginia is not illogical from an operations perspective. EA, via acquisition of various MMO studios over time... has actually had notable server assets in Virginia for close to 20 years now (starting all the way back when Mythic was independent and home based there). conversely, they have never really had long term infrastructure in California...... even though they have a headquarters presence in Redwood City.

A west coast server provides.. at best.... a 60ms improvement in route times. If 60 ms makes or breaks your game play.... well... I disagree for the most part. I do agree that for some APAC localized players it may have pushed you over a tipping point.... but there are more issues with route times from APAC than just server location on East coast rather than West coast. And any West coast player claiming they cannot play adequately on an East coast server is just silly.

There is a player based reason in some cases for a West coast server... players being players ... but I do not see any rational business reason to maintain infrastructure on the west coast for one single server.

Edited by Andryah

Servers and their locations are a business decision, not something that can\will be affected by a forum petition. I guarantee the cost of west coast servers and the associated taxes and salaries far outweigh the amount of revenue brought in by subs tat would use that server or they'd still have the west coast server.

Servers and their locations are a business decision, not something that can\will be affected by a forum petition. I guarantee the cost of west coast servers and the associated taxes and salaries far outweigh the amount of revenue brought in by subs tat would use that server or they'd still have the west coast server.

The lack of empathy is strong with this one.

It’s not a lack of empathy. He is telling it like it is with business rational and logic. The same as many of have been.

I’m an APAC player and when we got moved I was all for making a noise to see it they would listen. But we are now 6 months on we made the noise bigger than now and with more threads, Reddit, twitter and Facebook. Nothing came of it, Keith wouldn’t even answer questions.

People have explained till the cows come home that this thread will do nothing. Let it go.

I totally agree with this. Ever since the merge the competition for resources when running the daily heroics has been insufferable........even at 4:00 in the morning!

/signed

Pro-tip. Go into the pvp instance because it’s a ghost town and you won’t have to share. My wife and I exclusively use it when doing heroics and we never see anyone else on our side or the other.

It’s like playing a solo game ;)

Pro-tip. Go into the pvp instance because it’s a ghost town and you won’t have to share. My wife and I exclusively use it when doing heroics and we never see anyone else on our side or the other.

It’s like playing a solo game ;)

This is good advise.

-----

I used to do slicing on Yavin back in 4.0 and I went everywhere flagged and yavin was open to both Imps and Pubs, so while I was slicing I used to get into like 2 seperate fights a night and it was such a blast, I loved it. The best part was that it was also crawling with bots and your could force flag any member of the opposite faction even if they weren't flagged by doing AOE damage that they were within which was awesome because you could than force flag the pub bots! I use to hunt them and they only fight on a linear program algorithum so it'ws not like they could really have a chance against you so you were just able to annihilate them heh It was so fun and I hated the bots because they made slicing harder for me as they were competition, I can't imagine how many millions those bots lost by my killing them every three seconds heh, they'd just respawn and i could to the respawn are and wait for them to come back out [unless they were shadows sometimes they went invisible] but man, was it fun. Between the Bot hunting and OWPVP is was fun as all hell to slice which is normally mind-numbing at a certain point. I was able to finish a Yavin PVP achievement that required beating 100 players from the opposite faction 1v1, it was so much fun.

The PVP instances are pointless now, so yeah that's great advice no ones in them and you have free reign and 0 competition for gathering materials or whatever the hell other crafting crap you need to get. since 5.0 first dropped I've only gotten in one fight in pvp instance the entire time, one!

OW PVP was awesome, it was like the best of both worlds, some PVE action and some PVP brawling. What more could you ask for!!

I'd love it if they changed it back to just flagging and OWPVP, that was so fun, I miss it :(

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

This is good advise.

I use to hunt them and they only fight on a linear program algorithum so it'ws not like they could really have a chance against you so you were just able to annihilate them

i think you mean that you left carnage in your wake

This is good advise.

-----

I used to do slicing on Yavin back in 4.0 and I went everywhere flagged and yavin was open to both Imps and Pubs, so while I was slicing I used to get into like 2 seperate fights a night and it was such a blast, I loved it. *snip* OWPVP was fun as all hell to slice which is normally mind-numbing at a certain point. I was able to finish a Yavin PVP achievement that required beating 100 players from the opposite faction 1v1, it was so much fun.

The PVP instances are pointless now, so yeah that's great advice no ones in them and you have free reign and 0 competition for gathering materials or whatever the hell other crafting crap you need to get. since 5.0 first dropped I've only gotten in one fight in pvp instance the entire time, one!

OW PVP was awesome, it was like the best of both worlds, some PVE action and some PVP brawling. What more could you ask for!!

I'd love it if they changed it back to just flagging and OWPVP, that was so fun, I miss it :(

Yeah I used to do the same. I spent all my times flagged on Yavin while I waited for pvp pops. I used to do the dailies and farm mats.

On my Sorc, I used to have Xalek geared with my reg dps pvp gear and I had my ranked gear (both full 2018 expertise). It use to amuse me to see these epic pve geared guys in a group just jump me without flagging themselves first and then Xalek and I would rip them apart :cool:

Then they’d stay flagged instead of waiting to unflag and wondered why I kept killing them after they respawned. The amount of salt got so deep I could have gone skiing.

Really, they had no legs to stand on (when Xalek cut them off) because they jumped me and thought I’d be an easy kill.

I miss the flagging system, but it did need some tweaks because innocent pve people could still get ganked through AOEs etc.

I was so sad the day they removed it. Now the only benfit of the pvp instance is being able to farm mats and get stuff done without waiting or interruptions.

In the last 12 months, I’ve only had 3 encounters with the opposite faction and 2 of them were on Yavin a few weeks ago on the same day. The other one was on Tatts about 4 months ago.

I exclusively use the pvp instance if it’s available on a planet and always hate it when I dont have that option. ie, Drommund Kaas and Balmora.

What I do find amazing is even on Drommund Kass, people don’t switch to another map when there is a “queue” for the mobs/bosses. They just sit there and wait. The other day I saw there were about 4 groups waiting, so I switched instances and there was zero competition.

People like to complain about not wanting to share mobs etc, but they dont use their brains and swap maps, they just QQ instead.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

/Signed

I'm a long time APAC player (since 2012), I would definitely like to see a West coast server return, but realise that not much may come of it...

Ping use to be 180 on Harbinger, now 240 on Satele Shan / Star Forge... :(

Have you tried using WTFast VPN game service? I can drop my ping another 30ms from what it is without it.

• 1 month later...

Servers and their locations are a business decision, not something that can\will be affected by a forum petition.

I guarantee the cost of west coast servers and the associated taxes and salaries far outweigh the amount of revenue brought in by subs tat would use that server or they'd still have the west coast server.

I guarantee

This is a business decision yet not in the sense the reasoning you use suggests.

This is Managed Decline.

If you wish to see the initial reaction of the TOR team deliberately not communicating moving the APAC-West Coast sever to the east coast please consult the the initial maintence topic.

The TOR team deliberately withheld the Harbinger's physical relocation to East USA until the last possible moment to prevent unsubscribing and potential loss of micro-transaction revenue. Furthermore the East Coast servers were all merged with a predominately RP server.

Optimally all RP servers - both East and West - should have been merged into Ebon Hawk along with all Non RP servers merged into Harbinger - with both servers remaining on their respective coasts.

To see the effects of moving the APAC-West Coast server to East America then consult the APAC Goodbye topic or just log onto Satele Shan.

Edited by jimmorrisson

a quote from

that can be used anywhere out of context:

"was an economic decision at the end of the day." and that "you gotta cut the bridge when you realize you can't make a lot of money on something,"

a line of discussion in this very thread:

It’s not a lack of empathy. He is telling it like it is with business rational and logic. The same as many of have been.

I’m an APAC player and when we got moved I was all for making a noise to see it they would listen. But we are now 6 months on we made the noise bigger than now and with more threads, Reddit, twitter and Facebook. Nothing came of it, Keith wouldn’t even answer questions.

People have explained till the cows come home that this thread will do nothing. Let it go.

Edited by Falensawino

To see the effects of moving the APAC-West Coast server to East America then consult the APAC Goodbye topic or just log onto Satele Shan.

Sadly, that thread topic was moved to off topic within a day of being made so people wouldn’t see it or sign it. Which I believe only highlights the Devs culpability in the move and they wanted to mitigate people seeing how many APAC players were really leaving.

Keith to this day, still hasn’t apologised for not telling people prior to moving the servers. They went into communications black out when it happened.

I’m actually surprised this thread never got deleted or moved. But then, there aren’t many of us APAC players left for them to care enough to hide the problem.

Does it really matter who wanted merges and who didn't? None of us wanted to be decieved, and there were people on the West Coast who also didn't want merges. Just because you ended up sitting pretty doesn't mean you should feel qualified to have that horrible attitude for your fellow players. Edited by SourOrange

I got sympathy for those who lost their server and got served a nice plate of latency issues.

Though, I'm skeptical they'd buy a server back when they just let it go.

It is a big decision to ditch support like that, I'm not sure why they felt it was necessary.

• 1 month later...
Hey all!

I am from the EU, the NL.

My ping is fine, 20-30 MS, and I am saddened about the loss for the APAC players.

I do not want to make an similar thread like others, but regarding the severity of this case I think I should, I think it is good to make an petition and make an voice for all our fellow players who are affected by this change what was not mentioned to us upfront.

It is clear that the USA servers are now all on the East Coast..

I tested it in the game, read the comments on the forums, also friends from the USA come with similar results, and even the game itself says on server login it is EAST COAST.

Like Icykill says, it is impossible to get an much lesser ping (like below 140/200, like it was for you guys before from australia for example), only thing what can be ironed out is mostly the spikes.

So let us make an voice for all the people who are hit by this effect to make an petition.

1. 1 West Coast Server

An good note to remember with rough calculations is that USA players are on the east coast at minimum more or less 90 ms apart from the EU servers and vice versa. This distance is more or less 6.000 KM. From Eascoast where the servers are located towards Sydney is around 16.000 KM, 16 divided by 6 = 2,67 that means if we multiply this with 90 ms (from 6k KM) the server lag should be in theory at minimum 240 MS. So I do utter hope that someday soon for you all are affected, that the internet connection gets made better and more straightlined from point A too B, and it will result in an MS of 240-300 MS, I mean that is better then now some of you have. Someone I know from sydney is with 700-800 ms spikes or 500 ms most of the time, this will make it a bit better if this connection becomes more improved.. but yeah it sucks. Btw if we calculate from the westcoast to sydney it is 12k KM with 180 MS, and that is something similar just like my friend had before. I do hope that bioware can do something, there is definitely something going on, and the data goes to slow/ or routes to far around then it also should. But it would be great if simply for these people an west coast server can be made I think. Please help these people.

Thank you allready in advance. And let us make an voice for our fellow comrades from APAC and beyond.

Post with /Signed.

Greets from the Netherlands, and this is mine ---> /signed :mon_cool:

Explains your from Europe make a petition and you could done that on your EA international area is where your data center or work with your internet company. You don't speak for Europe resident and North America resident under your petition. You have to be making it up on purpose on your mission to bring a business to ruin. Merge will not help and open west cost for you from Europe. Why you wanted to be on west cost or North America servers and because exploit a invincible superman, scam and cheat. What purpose.

This game was better off prior server merge. I suspect that the two east coast server plan was a cost cutting move to impress EA for job promotion purposes.

That is History and Central area of US is open for data centers as heard. This will created jobs in those areas and don't have to be a large city. It will keep the data center away from coast line. EA could be on a budget for next 5 years and not rushing. EA is great company and others too.