1.2 Sound *argh my ears*

Dirtyshadow

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, is this why I had to listen to the most annoying sound in the world through my Esseles run last night? I wondered what the heck that was. It was the first time I had played with the sound on since the patch. Edited by lornalove

Same here. I wonder if sound problems and poor gfx performance havent the same origin. Maybe they share the same resource management mechanism, for example.

Last game i remember having sound issues with is Dune 2, when i playad it with 2MB of RAM. Part of voiceovers were missing from the intro, which sounded pretty abstractly that way :-). Great work bw. Thanks for bringing me memories of my youth :D. Now i know customers are your bigger concern.

Edited by Satanski

In some conversations, the voice sound cuts out completely. Lips move, but no sound. Weirdly, it's seemingly random sentences between conversation decisions.

Ex = On first pass, my trooper "skipped" the third sentence. On ESC, the second sentence was now "silent" but the third sentence could be heard.

Ditto random sentence silence of the various NPCs I was talking to.

No pattern that I could find, however, I did put in the "sound when windowed / minimized". Clicking it off didn't fix it though, so, it could be a coincidence.

I have this trouble as well, often characters voices only come through the left speaker though for the most part the game is mute with occasional and totally intermittent audio.

An interesting aspect of this I think, is that in conversations characters are mute - they don't move their lips but when the audio kicks in, they speak normally (their faces animate as expected).

Having said that it may just be me but the audio (where it works) seems much improved in many cases.

It wouldn't be explained entirely if it were just a case of them mixing up audio assets or setting too many things to mono where they're supposed to be stereo but it does feel like it's something along those lines.

This has been around since beta.

When you pass by NPCs in conversation with each other if you leave the area before the exchange is over, the game client actually stores the next line of dialogue for what seems to be a random period of time before it plays it... be it when you're in the middle of a quest dialogue or just wandering around in the middle of nowhere.

I have noticed that since 1.2, companions will often store commentary that they were unable to play due to the combat ending, and the stored commentary will then get played when the companion tries to speak overriding what they were supposed to say, such as going on a crew skill mission, being replaced by another companion etc.

I sent Doc to sell my common items and he shouted "Kolto tank incoming!" then vanished. :D

I know it has been around since BETA but at least I could still hear my quest NPC. Now the random NPC sound hits way more dB then it used to be.

I can't wear my headphones anymore. My lightsaber SFX when it's drawn got 100x louder and when I have headphones it feels like I've got a Bee buzzing and living in my right ear. I mean the sound outweighs all other sounds and is constant (if my lightsaber is out). Edited by ISDEnterprise

I fixed the "jet noise" issue by completely logging out of the game, unplugging my headphones, letting windows reset to default speakers, plugged headset back in and let windows recognize it, started game up and it was gone. Sound has been great ever since.

Headphones are logitech.

Edited by Blackardin

+1 (thread i was on was closed was told to come here)

constant speeder engine movement sound even when idle, please fix this asap bioware

have my ambient sound off but want to be able to play the game like i did prior to 1.2 with ambient sound on. This was reported straight after 1.2 landed i dont understand why it has not been hotfixed...

On my assassin I get lingering "shock" sound effects. Normally, after I kill a mob the sound effect stops. Now I have these "shock" sounds all around me that don't stop. Some other sound effects seem out of balance too. Also, the voices in cut scenes sometimes dont work, the dialog just cuts out.

Wasn't like this for me prior to patch 1.2

I only noticed this after 3 hours of gameplay. It seems to happen with extended play. Which leads me to think it's probably part of the memory leak that every single bioware game ever made seems to have.

I'm not sure how or why. But every game Bioware makes has a Memory Leak in it some place. Seriously...

Edited by Selvec

With my lvl 6 alt Sith warrior I was overwhelmed with a loud jet engine sound inside the Sith Academy on Korriban.

While playing my Sith Assassin, i hear random noises like the crackle of my Dark Charge at random moments that vary in length. Sound goes out at times and then comes back and then more random noise.

As far as I have been able to tell, it all seems to be ambient sounds so turning this down helps but detracts from the game experience.

Please fix this Bioware!

The "jet engine" or "ship launch" sounds are triggered by the /bountyhunter emote. I've tested and confirmed this (by using the emote on Korriban myself), then promptly bugged it.

What seems to be happening is that the player who uses the emote is unknowingly leaving behind the sound we all hear at the spot they used the emote. It's persistent, but from what I can tell, the sounds get scrubbed once the player who used the emote has been fully logged out of the server.

Everyone should /bug this when they can. It's extremely annoying--especially for those of us who have the emote.

Edited by Dezzi

I'm also having issues with conversations. If this was mentioned, sorry, too much reading. Some lines are not spoken and in many of the cutscenes or convos only one NPC's voice actually goes through.

For example, my character will say a line and it just stares at him, then NPC #1 says something it will have sound, NPC #2 says something, no sound, my toon will be mute again, then NPC #1's sound will die off. Its really hit and miss and I would say about 40% of the dialogue is actually spoken.

I think someone may have already mentioned this but it's my first time experiencing it. I've been on Tatooine for around 9hrs now and maybe 2-3hrs ago I suddenly had that constant jet engine like noise while I was standing at Jeelvic and it's pretty darn loud, louder than how I hear it at the Fleet. I finally just exited the game and logged back in, sound is starting up again; beginning kind of quiet and will eventually get loud again. /sigh

I was loosing the vocals from cutscenes, mine and the npcs on Voss yesterday, from general chat I dont think I was the only one, plus my blue nose and ears show throw my hood now where they didnt pre 1.2, I suspect the graphics have been dumbed down.

This is what happens when you take a hundred-million dollar project and use junior coders fresh from college/university. :(

and you can tell they are so concerned about it that they aren't doing squat about it RIGHT NOW.. I believe that they just take a laid back approach because they've made their money.. otherwise.. servers would have come down rick tic to get it done, or at least focus work on a emergency patch to get it fix. They don't bw would just rather let us keep plugging away with shoddy sound. Its starting to be buisness as ususal with this sort of thing. I'm really losing faith in them to take any of our concerns to heart.

#1. Broken sound

#2. Broken 1.2 patch

#3. Broken promotion for 1.2

#4. Failed its client base with Ranked PVP

Yep buisness as usual with the amature hour.

• Dev Post
Hey everyone - thanks for reporting the sound issues you've seen since 1.2. I can confirm that fixes for many of these issues (including the loud sound on the Fleet, volume issues in Space Combat, and more) are in the works right now and will be deployed as soon as they're ready. Please note that not all issues may be addressed in the same update, but we've seen your reports and have fixes coming!

Hey everyone - thanks for reporting the sound issues you've seen since 1.2. I can confirm that fixes for many of these issues (including the loud sound on the Fleet, volume issues in Space Combat, and more) are in the works right now and will be deployed as soon as they're ready. Please note that not all issues may be addressed in the same update, but we've seen your reports and have fixes coming!

Thanks, AB!