Powertech

Comardo

What server are you on? The amount of a class you see while leveling doesn't necessarily reflect their popularity overall. Additionally, most players level as dps and switch to the tank/heal spec around 50, so that may be why you don't see many shield spec PT's running around.

As to Powertechs themselves, they are probably one of the strongest classes right now, whether tank or dps in both PVE and PVP. You'd be hard pressed to find a group who would deny bringing a PT along.

I do know that at launch Powertechs were rare since most BH's wanted to be a Merc. Two pistols versus shield = lame to most new players. Same situation with Commandos and Vanguards (giant cannon vs regular rifle). With the F2P launch this may be happening again.

Their shield increase skill is the only thing I like about their tank spec. The buff only last around 12 seconds so I think it is a headache to manage, becasue you lose those 4 stacks if you are not paying attention. Also they do not have the crowd tanking abilities a Guardian/Warrrior have. I can draw threat with smash, guardian slash and my two taunt powers. With smash and guardian slash alone I can control a crowd and do not even need to use my aoe taunt sometimes. Powertechs/Vanguards are still better at surviving though IMO.

As far as the powertech line:

Pyro spec'ed DPS is a very viable and powerful PvP class and, consequently, you find most pyros running around in PvP zones. PT shieldtechs are a common tank in level 50 HM flashpoints as they, when geared correctly, are very "user friendly" with high survivability and a very stable damage profile.

However, Jedi toons tend to be more popular overall and many tanks are DPS spec'ed while leveling.

Their shield increase skill is the only thing I like about their tank spec. The buff only last around 12 seconds so I think it is a headache to manage, becasue you lose those 4 stacks if you are not paying attention. Also they do not have the crowd tanking abilities a Guardian/Warrrior have. I can draw threat with smash, guardian slash and my two taunt powers. With smash and guardian slash alone I can control a crowd and do not even need to use my aoe taunt sometimes. Powertechs/Vanguards are still better at surviving though IMO.

Powertech are far and away better at aoe tanking than guardian/jugg, it's not even in the same ballpark.

you couldn't be further from the truth

They don't have lightsabers, or dual blasters. And get to go around shooting people like a gangsta, Sadly I have noticed even the PT turns the gun on its side now also when using unload.

They run around with a single little blaster (teehee how cute), I still think they should have given them carbine's

Not to mention at least from my pov really boring and simple to play.

Edited by caveslug