View Single Post

KeyboardNinja
01.23.2014 , 01:57 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ilith View Post
This post makes vividly clear the issues many people have with requiring this playstyle of a tank. Assassin tank play is more like a DPS rotation where you are forced to monitor multiple, similar-looking buffs and procs. The difference is that when a DPS does this poorly, they simply output less DPS. When a shadow tank does it poorly, they are more likely to cause their group to wipe. Their survival is at stake. And they receive little compensation for this risk. Shadow tanks are both more difficult to play and not as good as tanks with better innate mitigation.
More difficult to play, yes. Not as good as other tanks, absolutely 100% no. The math says we're balanced. World Firsts not infrequently going to guilds with shadow/assassin tanks weigh in as well.

As for the rotation being more like a DPS rotation, some of us like that. I love the intricacies of a DPS rotation, and having more of that on my shadow is very welcome. Tracking procs (which don't look anything alike, btw) and cooldowns and making rotational decisions based on those things has been a joyous addition to my playstyle since 2.0, and more recently since 2.5. You may not like it, but not everyone agrees with you.

In addition, a shadow tank staring at their buffs has less ability to monitor the fight, make adjustments, and react appropriately to novel situations. This decreases their QOL compared to other tanks, who are accustomed to being able to do this.
Citation needed. I can monitor situations and stay aware of a fight just fine. I don't spend my time staring at my buffs. Not by a long shot. I know when procs are likely to happen, I see cooldowns and procs peripherally and via animations. I count GCDs. All of these are things that high-end DPS need to do as well in order to maintain awareness.

KPN's "stress free" guide makes clear out exactly how much monitoring and micromanaging is necessary to not die as a shadow tank. Thank you for the interesting guide.
Maybe I should set up a webcam and post a video of me doing the rotation, maintaining 100% stack uptime and optimal DPS while eating a sandwich and chatting with friends. Would that seem less stressful? Monitoring and micromanagement happens, yes, but it's hardly stressful.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017