Class Changes: Lightning Sorcerer / Telekinetics Sage

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you find the Lightning and Telekinetic changes coming in Game Update 5.5:

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Sorcerer

Lightning

• Fixed a bug where Forked Darkness and Forked Lightning's secondary attacks weren't doing 25% of the original ability’s damage
  • Reduced Reverberating Force's critical damage bonus from 10% to 5%
  • Convulsing Currents now gives Shock a 35% damage increase when the enemy is affected by Crushing Darkness, up from 20%

Sage

Telekinetics

• Fixed a bug where Mental Momentum and Telekinetic Momentum's secondary attacks weren't doing 25% of the original ability’s damage
  • Reduced Reverberation's critical damage bonus from 10% to 5%
  • Magnifying Vibrations now gives Project a 35% damage increase when the enemy is affected by Mind Crush, up from 20%

DevNotes: To bring the Lightning Sorcerer / Telekinetics Sage to their DPS target, we reduced the critical damage bonus given from Reverberating Force / Reverberation by 5% and increased the damage dealt by Shock / Project while Crushing Darkness / Mind Crush is on the target. We also fixed a bug where the secondary attacks from Forked Darkness / Mental Momentum and Forked Lightning / Telekinetic Momentum were not properly calculating their damage. These changes leveled out their damage more consistently and brought them to their target DPS.

-eric

This is exactly how I wanted the spec to be adjusted. Good job. More than fair. I still expect good parses to be in the 9300-9400 range, with the occasional 9500+ with great RNG.

Looking at my parse, the forked lightning/darkness fix will result in a loss of 200-300 dps, and nerf to surge will be canceled out by the buff to shock. Pretty much what I expected. Spec gets some improved burst for pvp too.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

Wont it make a new fotm lol? Almost everyone got harsh nerfs while lighting gets a good buff... isnt this too much?

It's a nerf, not a buff. The forked lightning/darkness procs were doing too much damage. It will be a net DPS loss of a couple hundred.

BUT they make the spec burstier by increasing shock damage, which is exactly what I wanted. You'll see 11-12k shocks in PvP now. Thundering Blast gets a bit of a hit to its autocrit but there's more burst on demand now if you set up the target with Crushing Darkness, followed by TB/shock/CL.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

It's a nerf, not a buff. The forked lightning/darkness procs were doing too much damage. It will be a net DPS loss of a couple hundred.

BUT they make the spec burstier by increasing shock damage, which is exactly what I wanted. You'll see 11-12k shocks in PvP now.

Yea I think one key point a lot of people are overlooking is that Lightning is a burst spec, players are incorrectly assuming it is a sustain DPS spec and thus drawing the wrong conclusions regarding this readjustments to it's DPS. It's quite sad really because since there are a few people doing this, people who read the forums will get an incorrect understanding of the class based on a few uninformed individuals option.

The surge nerf will be about 200 DPS on an average parse. The shock buff will be about 80 DPS. The forked lightning/darkness fix is a bit trickier to guess; my forked lightning bolts are doing the proper 25 percent, but my forked crushing darkness is incorrectly doing full damage. Overall I'm starting to think it's a 250-350 dps nerf depending on RNG.

This will create an interesting situation for parsing. I might start using recklessness with shock at points, especially with the surge nerf to lightning flash and chain lightning. This will actually allow me to squeeze in an extra lightning flash during a parse because I typically delay that by a couple GCDs while waiting for recklessness.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

Can you keep the 10 percent surge bonus and lower the base damage of Chain Lightning by 10 percent instead? Now that I'm crunching the numbers, the burst buff isn't quite what I thought it would be. Reverberation affects Thundering Blast as well.

It's still a fair nerf, but with TTK so high in pvp you really don't want to lower autocrit damage.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

srly whoever is in charge of balancing should get fired at this point ANOTHER nerf for sorcs while the ONLY thing we need is buffs and a hell of allot of them srly revert thses nerfs and give us the shok damadge increase + remove the nerfs from the start of this expansion if you want to get this class to even remotly viable levels its not fuc dooing lest hten 25 % of a mara's hp with perfect burst while all the other burst specs can take way 60 to 70 % of our hp in comparrison its ******** bias vs sorc over and over again becous retaredd devs dont like that there fav calees can't insta win with one *********** button

Are the devs going to at least give madness another buff? That spec still needs another 300 dps added to bring it in line with most of the other specs target dps.

they will probebly take way like 600 dps and hit the lifegain again while adding a heal to heatseakers and the bakcstab **** from operative and say those are underprefoming XD dont dream of it devs literly have brains smaller then a fking peanut if this hits the live servers

What? They needed like a 30% buff not a nerf! At this point it looks like they are just nerfing every class to oblivion to compensate for the fact that people can do HM in 248s, which to be fair is 2 tiers higher than you're supposed to, but still its a stupid way to 'balance'. Edited by DarthZaul

What? They needed like a 30% buff not a nerf! At this point it looks like they are just nerfing every class to oblivion to compensate for the fact that people can do HM in 248s, which to be fair is 2 tiers higher than you're supposed to, but still its a stupid way to 'balance'.

30%? Admit it, you are just spitting out random numbers and have no clue what you are talking about.

What? They needed like a 30% buff not a nerf! At this point it looks like they are just nerfing every class to oblivion to compensate for the fact that people can do HM in 248s, which to be fair is 2 tiers higher than you're supposed to, but still its a stupid way to 'balance'.

While all these class changes make MM/Nim fights challenging, HMs in 248s are like ez mode on any class. Groups fail there because of awareness and mechanics positioning and not because of a lack of firepower any of the classes are capable of. Like if you are not pushing the adds in Styrak fast enough it is probably because you are wasting time idling, or running rather then pew-pewing them down. Same thing of Firebrand+SC and Brontes burn - know where to get too fast to reduce dps downtime as much as possible.

Lightning/TK does need a buff to defensives for PvP gameplay. Damage and burst damage may be fine though if the other two healers - Mandos and Opers get nerf which it seems they will that will probably lower ttk in PvP even more (and if some utilities get adjusted to boot).

Edited by ottffsse

While all these class changes make MM/Nim fights challenging, HMs in 248s are like ez mode on any class. Groups fail there because of awareness and mechanics positioning and not because of a lack of firepower any of the classes are capable of. Like if you are not pushing the adds in Styrak fast enough it is probably because you are wasting time idling, or running rather then pew-pewing them down. Same thing of Firebrand+SC and Brontes burn - know where to get too fast to reduce dps downtime as much as possible.

Lightning/TK does need a buff to defensives for PvP gameplay. Damage and burst damage may be fine though if the other two healers - Mandos and Opers get nerf which it seems they will that will probably lower ttk in PvP even more (and if some utilities get adjusted to boot).

This game has been out for over 5 years, and these devs have no clue how to properly balance PVE v. PVP. Yet we still have Mercs with OP cooldowns, Operatives with a reflect (lol) and Sorcs/Sages with absolute trash cooldowns and defensive's. So the answer, give them less DPS. Seems right for this game. Clueless Devs as usual. GG

Looking at the parse numbers from https://torcommunity.com/guides/miscellaneous/class-rankings Lightning Sorcerer is already the worst performing PvE spec with ~1400 dps lower then the top performing spec. It sits at the bottom of the dps charts and everybody knows this to be true. How on earth do you justify dropping the dps by another 200-300?

Even with some of the nerfs to the other classes, this will keep Lightning Sorcerer firmly at the bottom and with a wide margin. All the classes should be within ~500dps max of each other. I would just like to understand why the devs and some in this thread think this is ok? I am strictly looking at it from taking a dps role in PvE, our dps is already pretty bad and now it will be worse?

Looking at the parse numbers from https://torcommunity.com/guides/miscellaneous/class-rankings Lightning Sorcerer is already the worst performing PvE spec with ~1400 dps lower then the top performing spec. It sits at the bottom of the dps charts and everybody knows this to be true. How on earth do you justify dropping the dps by another 200-300?

Even with some of the nerfs to the other classes, this will keep Lightning Sorcerer firmly at the bottom and with a wide margin. All the classes should be within ~500dps max of each other. I would just like to understand why the devs and some in this thread think this is ok? I am strictly looking at it from taking a dps role in PvE, our dps is already pretty bad and now it will be worse?

Those numbers are both inaccurate and outdated; they don't reflect recent nerfs. Lightning's AVERAGE parse is even higher than 9350; in full min-max 248's with datacrons and optimal force speed use, you should be averaging about 9500 on a dummy, not 9350. Arsenal should be averaging about 9200 on a dummy, not 10.1k. This nerf will put average Lightning parse at anywhere from 9200-9400, or pretty much right where Arsenal and Marksman will be. Heck, the peak parse might even be close to 9500 still.

They want Arsenal, Marksman, and Lightning at around 5 percent below their target DPS (which seems to be around 9750 based on top parses for specs). That puts it firmly in the 9200-9300 range, which is where all three of these specs will be (barring good or bad crits).

I'm not a fan of their choice to nerf everything instead of buffing and rebalancing content (you want people to feel like they are progressing, not regressing) but Lightning is better than people think.

Edited by Hoppinswtor

instead of use the time to make new content they waste it on nerf classes all the time.

this devs are rly rly the last and should get fired asap

i dont have mood login to it anymore after 4,5 yrs and sub all time .

i know is long for sub but i didnt want disband guild, cause i was gm and if prefered cant keep the guild.

but now guild is dying too so i dont care anymore and stop my sub.

no more money for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those numbers are both inaccurate and outdated; they don't reflect recent nerfs. Lightning's AVERAGE parse is even higher than 9350; in full min-max 248's with datacrons and optimal force speed use, you should be averaging about 9500 on a dummy, not 9350. Arsenal should be averaging about 9200 on a dummy, not 10.1k. This nerf will put average Lightning parse at anywhere from 9200-9400, or pretty much right where Arsenal and Marksman will be. Heck, the peak parse might even be close to 9500 still.

They want Arsenal, Marksman, and Lightning at around 5 percent below their target DPS (which seems to be around 9750 based on top parses for specs). That puts it firmly in the 9200-9300 range, which is where all three of these specs will be (barring good or bad crits).

I'm not a fan of their choice to nerf everything instead of buffing and rebalancing content (you want people to feel like they are progressing, not regressing) but Lightning is better than people think.

OK, I am not a good number cruncher like some but I have a 70 carnage Mara, a 70 infiltration shadow and my 70 lightning Sorcerer. I can tell you from playing my green geared shadow does way more damage then my well geared with augments lightning sorcerer. I really do not understand how they feel a damage nerf makes any sense for this class. Both mara and assassin although melee have the never ending jump to target if you kill the initial target so really melee/ ranged is kind of irrelevant. Sorc has some small attacks you can do while moving but both crushing darkness and your main filler lightning bolt you have to be stationary (except off a proc). I really don't get what they are seeing.

Give sorcerer more mobility then maybe, take lightning bolt off the cant cast and move list. I am not saying some classes might be over performing and need to be adjusted but sorcerer is not in that mix and should be slightly buffed or at least given more freedom to cast and move.