[PvE] Imbalanced DPS between DDs is laughable

Xyleya

You're so silly. Everyone knows melee classes need to do more damage than range because they have less uptime! It's preposterous to think that ranged have to move about as much as melee do! I mean, what other self-entitled bs reason can we come up with to justify melee doing higher dps?

I have played both ranged and melee DPS classes for about 15 years now in various MMOs. I currently play a class that is capable of both ranged and melee DPS (albeit i perform optimaly in melee).

You are full of it. Ranged classes do have things to move out of, yes. Its nowhere near as bad as what melee has to deal with.

- While melee tends to be stacked (on his ***), ranged are spread out. Which means they can see things comming their way much easyer. Ranged also generally have more time to move out, as the travel time for projectiles is much longuer then for someone standing right behind a mob.

- Melee has to deal with a lot of unavoidable and some avoidable damage. Ranged has to deal with some avoidable damage. If you cannot see how that puts an extra strain on the healers, you are a tool.

- Ranged can still deal a portion of their DPS while moving/avoiding mecanics. Melee, for the most part, cannot. Whats more, movement is more touchy for melee as they have range and position requirement on their abilities, something ranged rarely has to ever take into consideration. Meaning as a ranged class, you can avoid a skill in almost any direction, while as a melee you have a very limited area you -must- stay in if you intend to keep doing your job.

- Melee has to move when the tank has to kite a boss or his mobs a little bit, be it to reposition or to move away from a ground-based damage mecanic, which costs them damage. Ranged gets, once again for the most part, to stand there and continue their rotation.

Yes, its harder to play a melee optimaly in ''raiding'' types of situation then to play a ranged class. Yes, they do have less margin for error, and an overall lower uptime. If you think that is not the case, I would suggest removing those hands from in front of your eyes.

That being said this game is one of the most balanced i've seen when it comes to DPS difference between DDs. No complaints here.

Edited by Stonedsoul

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are people fighting over who of the top dps's are the little bit better when assassin/shadow and ops/smuggler dps is not even viable

You must be joking... Bioware needs to nerf Operative DPS even further in order to save the game from the dire threat of roaming bands of stunlocking operatives who are unsubbing the population of ToR.

Anyone not aware of this threat MUST read this thread explaining the problem in detail. THERE IS NO GREATER THREAT TO ToR than this issue:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=459212

Please Bioware, nerf operative DPS again before it is too late...

why are people fighting over who of the top dps's are the little bit better when assassin/shadow and ops/smuggler dps is not even viable

its because bad players play simple classes then QQ they cannot out DPS a better player playing a more complex class that the devs have stated should be cappable of more damage.

Devs have said that snipers and marauders will do more damage then the other classes, and that is how they want it. People playing the pet rock simple classes like mercs and sorcs cannot understand that a simple class will not perfom as well as a complex class.

Hello there. To begin with, I have all classes at LvL 50 and they're all Columi/Rakata equipped.

Given equal equipment it goes like this... Maro (Annihilation) 1800 DPS,

I've thrown out any speed or unnecessary accuracy and all my DPS-chars (Maro, Sorc, Merc, Sniper) have 98% Accuracy (bar the Sorc, that doesn't need any accuracy) 30-35% Crit, 75-77% Surge and 800-820 bonus damage.

Your Columi/Rakata geared with 800 bonus damage? and are doing 1800 dps on a dummy? when you just throw out random numbers that are blatently not true it makes ppl question your post.

Edited by Ryofo

its because bad players play simple classes then QQ they cannot out DPS a better player playing a more complex class that the devs have stated should be cappable of more damage.

Devs have said that snipers and marauders will do more damage then the other classes, and that is how they want it. People playing the pet rock simple classes like mercs and sorcs cannot understand that a simple class will not perfom as well as a complex class.

I wasn't even talking about sorcs and mercs?

i'm not sure where you were coming from with that last part

Why do the devs cater to the PvP balance issues in order to ruin PvE balance? I know dps classes that simply aren't allowed to raid in high end raid guilds because the mercs and marauders are such faceroll damage right now, there is no reason to take anyone else. And god help you if you are a merc healer that wants to raid high end content.

Fix PvE and let PvP wallow for a while, instead of the other way around.

You were completely right about snipers in the opening post. Right now they get laughed out of the building. They SHOULD be one of the top dps spots, but they aren't even close. They used to have utility to armor debuff, but that's gone with a recent change that stopped all armor debuffs from stacking. Now the raid can get the same effective armor penalty from their jugg tank. Operative dps is a bit of a joke, but they are all healers anyway, since they outheal anyone except the sorc in a fight that has a lot of bunching for aoe heals.

Edited by Rotamortis

RIght now, sniper DPS is right near the 'top of the tree' in regard to DPS. A fully geared Lethality sniper parses between 1700 and 1800 on the operation dummy, and that is without the 15% extra bonus when the boss is under 30% health.

RIght now, sniper DPS is right near the 'top of the tree' in regard to DPS. A fully geared Lethality sniper parses between 1700 and 1800 on the operation dummy, and that is without the 15% extra bonus when the boss is under 30% health.

I guess I should have been more specific. A "marksman" sniper is laughed out of the raid. ty for the free bump, though :)

I guess I should have been more specific. A "marksman" sniper is laughed out of the raid. ty for the free bump, though :)

Hardly, you must've encountered only bad MM Snipers then.. Lethality is just easier to play than MM and only do slightly more damage because of movement phases.

I've switched over to Lethality on my sniper, just to compare raid damage. Yup, easier to parse higher, but only slightly better than my MM spec and not in all cases either. :rolleyes:

What I see right now is that there is a great imbalance between players, not classes.

Until now I won the race to the top in nearly all operations since we're doing NMP & HM EC, as a Merc.

There is one Lethality Sniper that's almost only 20-30 DPS behind me, a Marauder that often is the same amount ahead for Toth and Zorn and 10-15% lower for the rest of the encounters. Multiple sorcerers that are 20-40% below my damage while one is almost even at NMP (in pretty much equal gear). Another Merc that is maybe 2-5% behind. And so on ... the top DPSers are really really close and then there's some that fall behind quite a bit.

What this shows me is how punishing this game really is to not optimizing your gear, movement, rotations and using all your tools at the right moment (or not doing it). This is what makes SW:ToR so appealing, the numbers aren't ridiculously high, there is some gear customization (although it could be better to be honest) and if you really play while playing and don't watch TV or try to multitask for the 3-8 minutes you fight a boss you're rewarded with performing well.

Even in a game this just makes me happy ... not being on top but knowing that I did everything I could and that there is no room of improvement ... I dare say play your character to perfection.

So in the end - excluding Annahilation Marauders that have a too high theoretical potential - I agree that the common spec choices are balanced. There are underdogs like Pyrotech Merc that can compete and there are those specs that arn't just there yet, but each class has an option that you can spec and do well with.

• 2 weeks later...
If ACs that can heal for example are able to push out the same damage as a pure damage class. Why bother with damage classes?

Take Sage and gunslingers for example. If a Sage can do as much damage as a Gunslinger. Why take a Gunslinger over a Sage when the Sage has the utility for an extra shield and emergency heals plus cleanse?

Thats why pure DPS classes Need to be able out damage DPS specced healers/tanks.

Sage has DPS+heals.

Gunslinger has DPS only.

Because you don't bring a DPS sage to heal. If your raid needs that healing, you already failed because then the sage stops DPSing in favor of weak, expensive heals.

Devs have said that snipers and marauders will do more damage then the other classes, and that is how they want it. .

Back that up and link a quote, please.

Edited by Caelrie

Because you don't bring a DPS sage to heal. If your raid needs that healing, you already failed because then the sage stops DPSing in favor of weak, expensive heals.

Back that up and link a quote, please.

Exactly. Snipers have their utility and if they can play their class properly will out dps everyone who can't. If you want to dps, you should be able to pick ANY class and be able to do just as much dps as any other provided you can play it properly. No one should have to think "Oh damn I really want to dps on a guardian but their dps is lower so i guess i'll have to stick with a sentinel even though they don't appeal to me". That is ******** - and I bring people because of their skill rather then their class.