My Game Wont Start

Blastedbandit

I've just bought and installed SWTOR and every time i click play the screen goes black, like its about to start, then just goes back to my desktop and nothing else happens. HELP ME!!

I would suggest contacting Customer Service cause they are the ones who could really help you. Otherwise, do you meet the system requirements? Try closing all unneeded programs and processes from the Task Manager. Turn off Windows Aero if you're on Vista or 7, it might help. Hope you get this resolved.

- check that the game is ok

At the bottom of your launcher screen, on the same line as your "login" button, on the left side, there is a little "gear" icon. If you click on it, a popup appear with several options. There is a repair button that will perform a global check on all your game files and redownload them as necessary if some were corrupted.

- check that your pc is ok

Do you have the latest driver for your graphic card?

Do you have the minimal specs to run the game?

the support people will probably ask you to post your dxdiag so that they know what your specs are.

- check that the game is ok

At the bottom of your launcher screen, on the same line as your "login" button, on the left side, there is a little "gear" icon. If you click on it, a popup appear with several options. There is a repair button that will perform a global check on all your game files and redownload them as necessary if some were corrupted.

- check that your pc is ok

Do you have the latest driver for your graphic card?

Do you have the minimal specs to run the game?

the support people will probably ask you to post your dxdiag so that they know what your specs are.

I did the repair option for both the PTS and the SWTOR environments and still nothing. This is a new computer as well with dedicated graphics, 8GB RAM and a Quad Core so it should handle the game fine it just wont launch. Also tried finding Windows Areo and i don't seem to have it. ill try over in the Customer service forum.

I did the repair option for both the PTS and the SWTOR environments and still nothing. This is a new computer as well with dedicated graphics, 8GB RAM and a Quad Core so it should handle the game fine it just wont launch. Also tried finding Windows Areo and i don't seem to have it. ill try over in the Customer service forum.

Nevermind aero. Most likely not the source of the problem.

I had the exact problem. Here's how to do it:

1) First go to Control Panel, then look for "Folder Options" there check the box "Show hidden files"

2) Go to the Personal Folder (Windows 7), now there is a folder called "AppData", open it, and follow this path - "Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings/" there look for "client_settings" file, and open it with Notepad.

3) Now change these 2 lines

OLD

Height = 1200

Width = 1600

NEW

Height = 1050

Width = 1680

1680x1050 is the native resolution for my monitor, in your case just set your monitor's native resolution. then save the file, and play the game :)

Edited by vorlonian

If you have a firewall of any type, trying turning it off and re-launching to make sure something's not being blocked. I had this problem and since I had configured full screen (not full screen windowed) I was unable to tab-out of the game and notice the firewall warning message displayed.

note: if you turn off your firewall as a test ... remember to turn it back on immediately!!

If it launches fine with the firewall turned off, you just need to figure out which program to add an exception for.

edit: might also try to run in windowed mode just to see if you can see any error/dialog boxes, as well.

Edited by BeToo