Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

In the worst case yeah the game will be unplayable for certain players. And that's not due to ping, but because your local ISP does not route well to the US West Coast. In the best case, an APAC player will see a disadvantage of roughly 0.15 seconds with minimal lag-spikes.

And where were you, when over a dozen other posters made flat-out unqualified statements that the game and PVP is unplayable on US servers? Why do you feel the need to "let me know", while you let others slide in promoting the falsehood that the game will be unplayable across the board? Is there an agenda here maybe?

In confounds me that people are getting away with spreading lies on this thread, while accusing EA of doing the same.

Whats your ping to the server?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not "styling" over anybody. You've already established that you troll because your father didn't love you. You're an obnoxious little American Keyboard Warrior who is trolling here because you need the attention that your father gave your brother instead of you. You're not contributing to anything apart from highlighting why we don't want to be on an US server.

I'm contributing to my own enjoyment by laughing at your attempt at ad hominems. Oh wait, my bad. Here you go:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ad+hominem

Now that you're all caught up, I have to say I think you've watched too much Star Wars, using a "your father" insult. At least insult my mom or something, spare my dad's dignity.

And just Lol at "American Keyboard Warrior." That is awesome, did you just come up with that? I'm seriously going to use that sometime. Seriously, I will.

Lol can we be friends?

Talking to people on the Dalborra server about this server merge and they all agree that a super APAC server is the way to go. BW/EA listen to what your players want not what you think is best, as this game is made for the players not for the accountants.

Nobody wants to have a high ping, nobody wants to change their player names, nobody wants to merge with an american server. 1 big APAC server is all thats needed end of story.

Are you being serious? You're assuming APAC players will be in the worst possible scenario while all Americans are in the best possible scenario.

US players also get lag spikes and disconnects and also suffer from shoddy ISPs. If you're frequently getting spikes over 300ms, that's honestly a problem with your ISP not routing you well to the West Coast server and that sucks and I wonder how many APAC players are in that same boat. If you have bad a ISP, yes, the game is unplayable for you. Same as if you're located in Alaska or Hawaii in the USA. What I'm trying to have a discussion on, is how it affects APAC players in general, not just in the hard-up cases.

Also, the game "stuttering" when there are a lot of people on your screen has nothing to do with ping. That is more a combination of server-tech and probably issues with your hardware as well.

So let me get this right... I live 50 meters from the ADSL exchange... I get close to the highest possible speed from a ADSL2+ connection and get on average 21ms speed on the APAC servers... consistently... most I have ever had from lag spike was 92ms, that would happen maybe once a month (I play daily)

So I am on Dalbora today with 19 -21ms and I decide to go to Harbinger to try it out <trying to be open minded>... play for an hour and the best speed I can get is 220ms and higher... I log back into Dalbora... "wow" I have 19ms again...

So where did you come to the conclusion it "must" be my ISP... ???

And before you try blaming my hardware... that is not the problem... I am a professional PC repair/reseller and I have the best possible system for playing SWTOR... and I turned all my in game graphics settings down to see if this improved it any, which it didn't

YES... some of the lag would be due to the server-tech <which is no different to the server-tech in APAC)... but most, if not all is due to the location of the server...

I have said this is many other posts... if you are in America, WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT THIS???

STOP STICKING YOUR NOSE IN WHERE IT ISN'T WANTED...

Also if you don't PVP on the APAC servers... why make comments about PVP if you don't do it...

KEEP THE FAITH... SIGN THE PETITION

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

147-152ms. Lag spike every four hours or so, 1 disconnect every two days or so.

Then as far as I and a few others here who will have pings of over 300ms will no doubt agree you have no rights to tell us how playable or unplayable or game is,

as I said before the actual experience is far different from the theory.

You cannot make comment until you experience this game with that lag on a daily basis and obviously lag spikes thrown in for good measure.

If you now say you have I call BS

BW/EA listen to what your players want not what you think is best, as this game is made for the players not for the accountants.

Lol good one dude. You do know that BW/EA is a business and is using us to make money? They only ever care about the players because we are their income. In this case, we're obviously a minority and not providing enough income to prevent shutting us down.

So let me get this right... I live 50 meters from the ADSL exchange... I get close to the highest possible speed from a ADSL2+ connection and get on average 21ms speed on the APAC servers... consistently... most I have ever had from lag spike was 92ms, that would happen maybe once a month (I play daily)

So I am on Dalbora today with 19 -21ms and I decide to go to Harbinger to try it out <trying to be open minded>... play for an hour and the best speed I can get is 220ms and higher... I log back into Dalbora... "wow" I have 19ms again...

So where did you come to the conclusion it "must" be my ISP... ???

And before you try blaming my hardware... that is not the problem... I am a professional PC repair/reseller and I have the best possible system for playing SWTOR... and I turned all my in game graphics settings down to see if this improved it any, which it didn't

YES... some of the lag would be due to the server-tech <which is no different to the server-tech in APAC)... but most, if not all is due to the location of the server...

I have said this is many other posts... if you are in America, WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT THIS???

STOP STICKING YOUR NOSE IN WHERE IT ISN'T WANTED...

Also if you don't PVP on the APAC servers... why make comments about PVP if you don't do it...

KEEP THE FAITH... SIGN THE PETITION

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

I care because I have 6 toons (some BiS with very high valor) trapped on MDN

Also, I'm not American nor do I live in the Western Hemisphere of planet Earth.

Also, my conclusion is not what you stated. I stated that ping = distance to server and that lag spikes/disconnects will be attributable to your ISP and its ability to route you to the server.

It will be very playable on the NA servers, though it will also be frustrating in pvp. I may stick around depending on the guild, though most are leaving so who knows. :(

Aside from ping, our communities are being given the shaft, and its kinda annoying that BW asked what we wanted (merged servers) then completely ignored it.

Then as far as I and a few others here who will have pings of over 300ms will no doubt agree you have no rights to tell us how playable or unplayable or game is,

as I said before the actual experience is far different from the theory.

You cannot make comment until you experience this game with that lag on a daily basis and obviously lag spikes thrown in for good measure.

If you now say you have I call BS

And you have no right to tell others that the game will be unplayable for them.

Yes, I'm blessed with good internet service and a good router and computer. But then I've taken the time to optimize my network connectivity for the US servers. Some APAC players will literally be SOL and that really sucks. But bear in mind, others will not be so badly affected and can continue to enjoy the game. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.

Edited by iheartnyc

I have left two other MMOs simply because the ping made my playing either uncompetitive (high end raiding or PvP) or very unenjoyable (rubber banding and lag spikes at critical times).

One of the best things SWTOR had going for it was the very low ping rates with it's oceanic servers.

I would 100% prefer low ping times over faster queue pops for WZs or OPS that were no where near as enjoyable.

I can guarantee that unsubscribing from the game is now a very high consideration if I was to lose the quality of gaming that I have been experiencing.

To be honest, the low ping rates have made the other non-polished elements of the game palatable (e.g. poor quality customer service, very poor customer response ticket times, glitches, bugs, stuck locations, lack of dual spec, etc etc...)

Please reconsider the decision to move us all to the US.

At very least, please don't tell us that it is for our best interest, but rather, just admit that it's to cut costs and that we will have to bear the burden.

I have enjoyed my time in SWTOR. Its a shame that its going to end this way.

Cheers

Lol good one dude. You do know that BW/EA is a business and is using us to make money? They only ever care about the players because we are their income. In this case, we're obviously a minority and not providing enough income to prevent shutting us down.

^ Sad but true.

One of the best things SWTOR had going for it was the very low ping rates with it's oceanic servers.

This!!!

SWTOR had one competitive advantage in our region when compared with other MMOs - localised servers. The lack of content has been overlooked by some players in the APAC community because the performance is just really great to PvP and PvE competitively. Now that is gone a lot of players are leaving and those who cared about population have already left months ago to join the US or other games.

A few miniorities (mainly a small population of subs living in Asia) like the idea of transferring because they connect directly with the US and not Australia. I say wait for paid transfers and send your toons off then. You knew you ping/latency issues before you signed up.

You're alienating a subsection of your customers, firstly by ignoring us for months and secondly annoying the remainder who stuck it out with the game.

Edited by PseudoScience

Yes, I'm blessed with good internet service and a good router and computer. But then I've taken the time to optimize my network connectivity for the US servers. Some APAC players will literally be SOL and that really sucks. But bear in mind, others will not be so badly affected and can continue to enjoy the game. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.

And there it is...

You who have not had the experience are trying to tell us that have lived though it we are wrong.

Oh and BTW I am angry at the decision and lack of consultation, I don't intend to quit as yet, and nor do I encourage others to.

But having actually been there at start your posts rubbed me up the wrong way as I have experienced what you were trying to say doesn't happen.

Sorry Eric, I'm not buying your justification at all.

It was overwhelmingly clear that the APAC community wanted to merge into one APAC server. I guess I wouldn't be this bitter about this decision if you had just dumped it on us but you asked for our input and pursued one of the least popular options. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a cost savings exercise as some have suggested.

I would have thought EA would want to avoid more negative sentiment considering the debacle that was the Sim City 2013 release but hey; you've collectively managed to consistently astound the gaming community with your hubris and lack of accountability for the crap you peddle.

I truly hope that the gaming community starts voting with their wallets and leaves you high and dry. I'm so glad I never bought into the cartel coin market and didn't pre-order the xpac - you didn't get one cent more from me than was absolutely necessary to play.

To Bioware. Get out if you can. This association with EA has done nothing but sully your reputation as a quality games developer.

I too will not be purchasing another EA title in the foreseeable future, if ever again, and will be doing my best to persuade friends and relatives to do the same.

Goodbye.

Edited by Yubided

I care because I have 6 toons (some BiS with very high valor) trapped on MDN

Also, I'm not American nor do I live in the Western Hemisphere of planet Earth.

Also, my conclusion is not what you stated. I stated that ping = distance to server and that lag spikes/disconnects will be attributable to your ISP and its ability to route you to the server.

Mate, you just don't get it as you obviously don't live in Australia and understand how our internet infrastructure is set up... we had a Telco Monopoly for many years... the result was when that changed, the "Telco" held onto the infrastructure... this has only recently been separated from them... unfortunately basically NEARLY ALL ISP's here need to use their "gate way" out of the country... so you can't blame the ISP... I get awesome connection here

Yes you could blame the connection from this country to the US... BUT THAT IS THE BLOODY POINT OF WHY WE ARE ALL UPSET THAT THE APAC SERVERS ARE BEING MERGED OVER TO NORTH AMERICA

AND THIS IS A DISCUSSION FOR APAC PEOPLE... so if you have characters on our servers... you were stupid to roll them here anyway...

I have left two other MMOs simply because the ping made my playing either uncompetitive (high end raiding or PvP) or very unenjoyable (rubber banding and lag spikes at critical times).

liar,

high end raiding is completely fine with 200 up ping,

the really unplayable thing is to get 400 up ping in APAC servers,

don't merge, let player to get a freewill transfer is a better solution, eric.

Edited by oakamp

e. All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.

I don't think anyone unsub because "other said so".

People unsub because they already go try out in Harbinger and it's lag and spike for them.

People unsub because they already play on 200-300ms ping before and they don't want that again.

People unsub because EAware treated them like 2nd class citizen, ignore them for months and come up with a solution that almost nobody want.

I find the US pvp easily playable. Finished near the top. hardly noticed any lag (certainly wasnt gamebreaking.)

(and no before you all ask, i am not american lol.)

I have played on West Coast servers and have played on Dalborra. I have a ping of about 30ms on Dalborra and having just checked Harbinger it varies from about 200ms to 320ms. Play experience is passable at 200 but unsatisfactory for Operations or PvP at 320.

My play experience and that of my guild mates will be seriously degraded by going to a west coast server. We tried it previously and came from there when APAC servers launched because of the vastly improved gaming experience. Now Bioware want to send us back.

I PvP regularly on Dalborra and the population has been fine since F2P and queue times have been quite acceptable. If it's a choice be increased queue time or increased lag I chose the queue. I'd rather wait a bit longer for PvP than get into an unplayable PvP match more quickly.

Bioware also seem to have forgotten that APAC players are online on west coast servers during the graveyard shift . Based on my quick peak on all 4 servers (Harbinger + APAC). Peaktime Populations on an APAC merged super server would be comparable to those of late night west coast servers. I expect the APAC numbers will also increase once expansion hits and would likely increase further if the APAC servers were merged and if free transfers from any server to APAC were made avaialble.

Bioware please rethink this decision. A forced west coast server merge for me is a service downgrade that would likley force me out of the game. I would definitely cancel my subscription.

Can we please get this thread on track. Several pages of mostly petty arguments about ping isn't productive.

Ping = bad so we'd prefer not to have to go to US servers. Ping = disadvantage in pvp and endgame compared to US players on the same server. I think that's enough as we need to say about that point. We get it.

I think most people agree that a merger between the apac servers is the best solution. I like to think bioware are open minded enough to re-evaluate their decision and look very closely at whether that option is viable. Whether us loyal APAC players are important enough for them to warrant one server.

If they make a decision that it's not viable then can they at least be honest about that and drop the bs about it being in the interests of our play experience. More importantly, can they please be a tad more flexible about the transfers. Rather than just arbitrarily saying everyone who's on this type of server currently will be going to this particular US server. Can we please get a choice in the matter.

When I originally came to an APAC server after several enjoyable months playing on Sanctum of the Exalted (may that server rest in peace), I chose to do it. Not only was it my choice, but I was allowed to choose which server I came to. It wasn't a case of, "you're on a roleplaying server so you have to go to gav daragon". I could have easily chosen to move to a pvp or pve server if I'd wanted to. That wouldn't have hurt anyone. Why don't we get that choice now? I know several people who don't necessarily want to go to the same server type they're on now. People on RP servers who would rather go to a PVE server. Or people on a PVE server who would like to go to a PVP server. Is there any good reason why players shouldn't be able to choose their destination server? I can think of none.

For me personally, I'm happy to go to an RP server but not the one being chosen. My old server along with some others was rolled in to Ebon Hawke. That's where my old guild and several old in game friends now are. I know my player names and legacy name are still available there. That's where I want to go rather than start all over yet again on a server that's completely new to me. Is there any good reason why I shouldn't be able to choose my destination server without re-rolling? I really don't think that's a big ask. Again I can think of absolutely no downsides to giving people a choice of server. For me that's a pretty important issue and one I'd like addressed.

All I ask is that people TRY IT OUT for themselves, instead of listening to the obviously mad and biased people who claim that it will be unplayable for all.

You do realise a lot of us came from these same servers we are being sent back to right? So some of us know how suboptimal the US servers are when connecting to Australia. Red circles, moving of AOE, getting a stun off in time are all just some of the issues that mean the difference between a raid wipe or losing a crucial PvP battle.

You are downplaying the situation to suit your agenda. Free transfers for all APAC to any server would of been the best option and we could have suited those who wanted to go US or elsewhere and those who love localised servers and wanted to stay.

Edited by PseudoScience

Ping (e.g., that number on your bottom right UI) is correlated to distance to server. There are latency reduction technologies which servers can employ, but generally the hardware itself is very stable.

Actually latency is directly related to hops, not distance. You'd know this if you had any clue about networking. The more routers you have to go through, the higher the latency.

And you're assuming that these packet losses and spikes only affect APAC players. They can happen to anyone with an unreliable internet connection.

The chances of lag spikes, ping, and packet loss occurring increase the more hops your connection needs to reach its destination. So for someone in the USA who has 8 hops to reach the server, vs an Australian with 16, the Australian is far more likely to encounter connection issues.

What IS stable is that on average, a US player will only have an advantage of roughly 0.12 to 0.18 seconds over APAC players (assuming US player averages 50ms and APAC averages 200ms).

Which is a significant advantage in PVP, and fractions of a second can easily cause wipes in PVE.

Also Bioware you can kiss my subscription good bye. A overwhelming majority of people in this thread were in favour of merging all three APAC servers into one. Reading through the thread paints a pretty clear picture, most players were happy to forgo their server type if it meant they could retain an regional APAC server. Players would rather lose their RP and PVP server if it meant they could still play on a server located within their region.

It also must be a coincidence that you've made this decision just as your APAC server hosting contracts have come up for renewal. So too that it was pure coincidence that after 7 months of ignoring us your decision just so happened to be made around the server renewal time.

Edited by ikioi

I parse about 3/4 of the damage on on US servers compared to the APAC. Anyone who says ping and server lag is not an issue just doesn't know the facts. Aussie guilds will always be at a disadvantage for PVE raid encounters which are tuned to players reaching there max dps with a good connection. In PVP when ever i force jump to a player with a marauder, by the time my character gets there the other player is long gone. When a player attacks me by the time I see that they are attacking I'm already half dead. I know a few Aussies will give the US server a go, but I'm not willing to pay for a subpar experience, for a company that cares more about its wallet then customer satisfaction, good luck to them.