View Single Post

cunctatorg
04.10.2020 , 01:45 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by RowanThursday View Post
Is more afoot than we realize?

Thanaton has certainly been corrupted by power in some sense, but is it feasible that he's actually been twisted, that the observation that Darth Thanaton actually seems like a wholly different person compared to who he'd been in the prequel comic is, "in story", down to an intentional corruption by someone?

Teneb Kel is a slave turned Sith Lord. Much later, Lord Zash, in charge of the Korriban Academy, and seeking to fulfill her vision of a slave-turned apprentice to meet her rather unique needs, arranges for slaves and other low-borns to receive Sith training, fomenting considerable dissatisfaction among Sith traditionalists such as Overseers Harkin and Tremel, and Darth Skotia.

Tremel learns that the influential Darth Baras is contemplating taking one of these vermin as his apprentice, and schemes to try to stop it, kicking off the Sith Warrior's story. Now, Bar as has a specialty of twisting and corrupting people, or arranging to have it done by his underlings. Consider, is Teneb Kel any more different to Darth Thanaton than Padawan [BJaesa Wilsaam[/B] is to Apprentice Jaesa Wilsaam, for instance?

You've noted, I think, that Baras and Kel's objectives slightly overlap, albeit for different motives. Baras also is something of a spymaster; he undoubtedly knows who killed Skotia, and probably also all about Zash's plans.

Note that Skotia, allied with Thanaton, had a base in the area of the Collossus, dedicated to Darth Vowrawn, another enemy of Baras. It seems all too feasible that Darth Baras, perceiving that a crusading Darth Thanaton would be a significant nuisance in his aims to be recognized as the new Emperor's Voice, may have deliberately fed information to Skotia to fuel his enmity toward Zash, maybe whispered in Thanaton's ear about how Zash's policies were stirring up resentment against slaves turned Sith, done all he could to stir suspicion and fear in Darth Thanaton's mind, working to manipulate Thanaton toward the Kaggath, with the intent that Zash or her apprentice, since I doubt Bar as would care whether or not the ritual worked, would either eliminate Thanaton, or at the least, keep him out of the way and occupied.
Yes, your point -about my remark- is completely correct.
There is another point of mine, The Immortal Emperor's and ... Lady Zash's objectives are quite similar also, albeit a qualitative (huge indeed) differentiation of scale!
The same holds for the Dark Spirit that is threatening the World of Voss, the spirit of Sel-Makor, not only his avatar!! All these three share not only the same vision but the same means also, albeit the different scale of impact of course.

When I begun running my first Imperial character, I noticed (in Dromund-Kaas' cantina) a conversation about Darth Thanaton's stables and I had been wondering if that habit of his was a sign of weakness and resignation, a camouflage about his real objectives or a result of twisting from the Dark Side...
However it seems to me that only The Immortal Emperor would have been -perhaps!...- able to twist Darth Thanaton's decisions and that seems unsound and completely inconsistent, The Emperor (had he known their informations and all) would have destroyed Thanaton and the majority of the Dark Council...

The other, the next points of yours are quite interesting, however it's obvious that the authors didn't follow the same path of development of the story-lines and the main characters. The best explanation is that such elaboration and depth would have been (way) too much for a decent MMORPG!...

Another relevant -and quite interesting, extremely essential anyways- point is the exact role and motives of ... Darth Jadus, namely his motivation meaning his connection and interaction with all these plots! However I didn't yet run an Imperial Agent that allies with this Darth, therefore I ain't in position to know enough about that.

Darth Thanaton, twisted or not by the Dark Side, knows already too much and he isn't the type of guy who decides to commit suicide or -much worse- "become that ... thing"... And no member of the Dark Council seems to be strong enough to twist his mind!

Thus I repeat that the best explanation is that such elaboration ... There was too much to create and develop but there wasn't real reason, there wasn't, generally speaking, that demand!! An MMORPG should be an MMORPG, it can't become a trilogy of Star Wars movies!!