View Single Post

cunctatorg
04.08.2020 , 10:26 AM | #16
The aforementioned explanations (!) about Darth Thanaton's most probable motives (and patterns of decision-making) are quite interesting and, generally speaking, not baseless, quite the contrary...

However the very same Thanaton's personality is somehow contradictory, unnecessarily inconsistent; the most dynamic explanation is similar and consistent with the aforementioned ones; he was trying to convince himself that he is self-righteous and not what ... the author of the Sith Inquisitor (pretty fascinating!) story-line had in mind, namely a hypocrite holding great power, a "comparatively weak, abused slave turned abuser"!...

That said, my very point is that the SWTOR Sith Inquisitor story-line's Darth Thanaton is not essentially that Sith we met in the extraordinary SW:TOR;BotE comic!...
There are two main reasons for that; Teneb Kel was an extremely serious and determined Sith, equally strong-minded and dedicated to his ideology, beliefs and ... choices (!!) being absolutely ready either to achieve his very purpose or die trying!
Furthermore his main goal obviously was not to succumb to the (revealed to him during his vision) fate of the Sith becoming puppets (at best) of The Immortal Emperor!!... The Thanaton of the SI story-line has almost nothing to do with all that.
This Darth Thanaton's self-imposed ultimate duty, a duty of the titanic proportions of a-Prometheus-among-the-Sith of the Dark Council, made him a much more interesting Sith than this Thanaton of the SI story-line.
For the same reason that pretty interesting Darth Thanaton became unfitting for the role of the main antagonist of our Sith Inquisitor; the main antagonist must not be a dedicated ideologist who's choice is to undertake a self-imposed task of titanic proportions!!... For the very same reason Darth Baras has been portrayed as a ugly, repulsive (... greedy, ... spoiled and ... fat?!?) Sith sadist who undertakes Darth Thanaton' task but only for... petty, selfish reasons...
The authors' (main) choice for the role of a virtuous, absolutely dedicated, heroic, strong and terrible (but hot-tempered) Sith eventually became mostly Darth Marr, the one and only spiritual companion of ... Satele Shan during her solitude!!

That's ... O.K. with me, SWTOR is an MMORPG and many story-lines are, at least, properly entertaining and interesting! That's almost fine with me!...

The best, perhaps, story-line, the Imperial Agent's one (written by Alexander Freed, the very author of the aforementioned SW:TOR;BotE comic) was so ... intense and ... dark that it was a ... real torture for me to run the MMORPG and, simultaneously, follow the endless tortures and ... limitless tragedies of my heroic, breathless and cursed character and the similar ones befallen on most of the dedicated men and women of the Imperial Intelligence!...

P.S.:
Quote:
Thanaton is a perfect example of a lot of political leaders: Make strong speeches on the importance of principles, but toss those principles aside as soon as they are even slightly inconvenient.

Also, remember that Thanaton thinks (or at least worries about the possibility) that Zash's ritual in act 1 succeeded and you are really her, which makes his desire to stop your advancement both logical and personal: If he doesn't stop you now, he figures he as good as dead, which gives him a really strong motivation to try anything...
Ominovin's last point (regarding his second thoughts about the impact of Zash's ritual) is obviously a strong and subtle point, however the core of Thanaton's motives become transparent only during his last moments; the obvious choice of the authors was to humiliate any Sith antagonist of any Sith character!... Therefore this remark/suggestion is about another antagonist, a decent (so to speak...) Thanaton.