View Single Post

RowanThursday
04.07.2020 , 05:02 AM | #15
It seems to be that Thanaton's behaviour jars because it doesn't fit at all with his public image; he's a bit of a mirror to the player character, being a former slave, risen to eminence in the Sith by a combination of power, allies, and patronage, who stands out by being visually "normal looking" still amid a Dark Council of various masked, metalled, and bespiked weirdos, and speaks softly, civilly, projecting an impression of wisdom and reasoned authority - he does politely explain to the Inquisitor why she has to be killed, after all. Essentially, he paints himself as being what, if he were the player character, would be the Empire's ideal Darth Imperius; the kind of Sith that, were he in charge of Imperial Intelligence, would have Keeper privately relieved to finally be at the whim of a Sith not governed by the twin forces of Sadism and Stupidity... but it's all a lie, because Thanaton is really more of a second-rate Darth Nox, the abused slave turned abuser, with no real principle or scruples above and beyond "Nobody threatens the corner I've cleared out for myself!"

The difference is that Thanaton is weak. He needs the Dark Council, and hence will screw over their interests to protect himself; his selfishness during the Kaggath and the damage done is likely at least one of the factors in the Empire failing to hold Corellia, and he would do the same again next time. Darth Nox/Imperius/Oculus both defeats him despite a disadvantaged position, and does so in such a way that helps the Empire; whether by intent or side effect is unimportant; she's useful to the Council. Hence "I'm sorry, Thanaton."
"... Pointless meatbag bickering."
-- HK-55