Watch Galactic Starfighter “Domination” Trailer

CourtneyWoods

One of the best things I see with this is the minimum skill... I can see people being really bad at PvP (and I do, a lot) but space combat just feels more natural, so I don't see the low skill of others be half as much of a problem here as it is in Warzones. True there'll probably the occasional idiot running into a wall, which occasionally will probably be me, but the point is that space combat games (or minigames as the case may be) are a lot easier for players to learn and adapt to than the current ground-based type of combat. Looking forward to that.

As with anything, there is a certain learning curve. Getting the muscle memory for what your ship does and can do takes a little time, as does auto-recognizing the various reticles on your screen (I kept following one that I THOUGHT was "Your enemy is in THIS direction" but was instead "You will FLY in this direction"

It's not X-wing but wasn't meant to be. Still could use a few tweaks (the boost is nice, but last time I played, the W for extra speed had to be MAINTAINED (ditto the S to slow) instead of just ramping up and holding max or min speed. With one hand on keyboard and other on the mouse, holding the W to go just that little bit faster proved taxing on the fingers and concentration. Hope that one gets (or has been) taken care of.

what lesson? this games pvp is far from gear dependent with bolster and how quick you can get conq sets.

never known any mmo a new commer can jump into pvp have a very big chance of doing well b4 they get gear.

Looking forward to the space pvp very much cant wait :)

I take it you weren't around pre-2.0, and definitely not pre-1.2. Consider yourself lucky.

I just hope they don't do something stupid down the road like let Republic fly Empire ships it's already bad enough that they allow opposite faction to wear the other teams gear.>.>

Also, definitely agree with this. Keep the republic flying republic ships, and the empire flying empire ships.

I can almost guarantee that had you played those games with a joystick, you're experience and enjoyment factor would have been increased significantly. I tried using keyboard back in the day on Wing Commander games, it's the difference of night and day. If BW does support joystick, I will be owning the keyboard turners and users.

Note to BW: Please make sure to add Pitch and Yaw controls for speedier turns for dogfighting. It's kind of a requirement for "aerial" combat.

Yeah, but where to get a good joystick back then? I certainly wouldn't know where to find a decent 3-4 Axis Joystick that would give me the most and best options.

And I still believe that for aiming, nothing beats the mouse. For trying to hunt a TIE Fighter that's trying to get in your back (or whatever the AI thought it was doing)... I suppose my hand and arm and my mouse pad would have thanked me if I had used a Joystick for that...

I'm excited as well, but if joystick support isn't there, gameplay will be clunky as hell. Playing this without a joystick is as bad as playing Mortal Kombat with a Pong controller.

Based on my experience with the controls in beta. I have to say that the way GS controls are set up, you would be at a disadvantage using a joystick over a mouse.

Yeah, but where to get a good joystick back then? I certainly wouldn't know where to find a decent 3-4 Axis Joystick that would give me the most and best options.

And I still believe that for aiming, nothing beats the mouse. For trying to hunt a TIE Fighter that's trying to get in your back (or whatever the AI thought it was doing)... I suppose my hand and arm and my mouse pad would have thanked me if I had used a Joystick for that...

The Joystick I used back then was the Microsoft Sidewinder. It was a solid stick for it's time and played wonderfully Wing Commander and the flight sims of the era. That was 20 years ago so I'm sure that there is something now that would be just right for GS.

On another small note, my buddy got invited and was in the beta. He told me that BW doesn't have a rear camera view for quick access to your rear to see opponents. I would find this a very useful tool to keybind a button for instant rear view. Come one BW, We want these things!!!! I want to be able to get quick glances behind me while in a dogfight.

The Joystick I used back then was the Microsoft Sidewinder. It was a solid stick for it's time and played wonderfully Wing Commander and the flight sims of the era. That was 20 years ago so I'm sure that there is something now that would be just right for GS.

On another small note, my buddy got invited and was in the beta. He told me that BW doesn't have a rear camera view for quick access to your rear to see opponents. I would find this a very useful tool to keybind a button for instant rear view. Come one BW, We want these things!!!! I want to be able to get quick glances behind me while in a dogfight.

And this is why NDAs exist... it is SO easy to have misinformation abound, even from people who should know better... because your buddy is actually completely wrong. A rear view command exists. C by default, as I recall. It spins the camera around and you see what's behind you.

And going to have to echo what others have said: keyboard and mouse is not clunky or imprecise. The game was DESIGNED with KB+mouse as its optimal control scheme, and it actually IS the best. Wait until you try it, you'll see.

Now that doesn't mean it would be the most fun scheme, I'd have loved to be able to use HOTAS and rudder pedals, but right now it's KB+Mouse... and in fact with the current design KB+mouse would be the most competitive scheme even if you could use a joystick.

Edited by Itkovian

this really looks great i just hope that this game add on isn't tied into the cartel shop too much. I don't mind paying for some cool customizations or some rare ships (imagine a rare slave one prototype ..cool) . I just hope all progression will be skill attained and there should be no bought cartel ship or weapon that can outperform a earned in game ship/weapon imo. Edited by Alpha-Llama

Wow, you people are too easily impressed. This looks like crap. Yet again they throw the perspective in 3rd person like the crappy space combat that already exists. That was a major disappointment to just about everyone who had ever played any of the X-Wing games, and this is no different. Its just more dumbed down, hand holding b.s. that has become prevalent in gaming today. Gods forbid we actually Challenge people so they learn skill.

This is why Star Citizen has over 20 million in funding. People are sick of these games holding your hand. Im also willing to bet that this new release will pretty much just be Warzones in space, meaning your victory doesnt mean anything except currency. (whoppie crap)..

Things like this is why this game is going down the tubes.