Should I Be Worried If They Ever Decide To Pull The Plug On TOR

JoanThom

Well hey there guys pretty much anyone who ever wants to chill with me on the ebon hawk server will know that I am a super crazy fan boy of The Old Republic and thrilled we finally get to see how it went down in a galaxy far far away way back when. I'm not sure if someone or anyone made a thread like this yet and super duper please do not make this a hate or rage post because I want to try to be serious about it as I can. And Bioware I love you guys and god help me this game is so addictive XD.

Finally working on my first lvl 50 character and have 7 other ones at chapter 2 wanting to get them to lvl 50 some day however in the back of my mind I cant help but to wonder will they ever remove the game like Star Wars Galaxies. (Please dont get upset when I say that :o)

Thats why I was hoping for your guys opinion to say if maybe I should say what the heck dont worry about it so much and lvl all my guys to 50 one day or just keep one at 50.

The reason for this is theres still alot of un played games on steam and tons of achievements on some other games that have been meaning to get unlock and wouldint want to feel like if they ever do that there would be better times spent on steam :(

Anyways would love to hear from you guys and see how you all feel and thanks for the feed back! Long live TOR!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally working on my first lvl 50 character and have 7 other ones at chapter 2 wanting to get them to lvl 50 some day however in the back of my mind I cant help but to wonder will they ever remove the game like Star Wars Galaxies.

Star Wars Galaxies ran from June 26, 2003 to December 15, 2011, so I don't quite see the analogy. Judging by longevity, I think most would consider SWG to have been pretty successful (judging by player expereince and financial performance is a different story).

I may be reading too much into your posting, but the fact that you even worry about this (if the concern is real) and your stated attachment to the game suggest an unhealthy level of attachment. And this comes from someone who is a great fan of the game.

A month ago i would have said no, then i went to a few servers to try to find one with a decent pop to reroll on and now im really afraid for this game, and if they dont fix most of this by the time gw2 comes out its going to get ugly, and i would not put it past EA to pull the plug on a game early.

First they need to suck it up and fix the server pops, then they need to fix and add in all the things they have been refusing to add in because of a very vocal minority like LFG tool, macros, dual specs to name a few, we have seen what happens to the game when bioware listens to this vocal minority so its time for a change.

*shrug* I wouldn't worry about it in the near future. While certainly there's been others, the only two MMOs that I've played that I know they pulled the plug on have been Asheron's Call 2 and Star Wars Galaxies.

What you typically see with a MMO is launch, peak, brief sharp decline, plateau and then a slow fade.

What varies from game to game is when the peak is hit, how drastic that first major decline is and eventually, what the developers/publishers deem as break even revenue stream to continue support.

Some games peak with their initial sales, others take months or even years to reach their peak. And for some, having as few as 10k subs is enough to keep the pilot light lit though maybe with limited support/development ongoin. For others it might be 50k or even 100k or more. Hard to say and again, that's going to vary from company to company.

As for TOR, as I started with, I wouldn't even begin to start worrying about it.

A month ago i would have said no, then i went to a few servers to try to find one with a decent pop to reroll on and now im really afraid for this game, and if they dont fix most of this by the time gw2 comes out its going to get ugly, and i would not put it past EA to pull the plug on a game early.

First they need to suck it up and fix the server pops, then they need to fix and add in all the things they have been refusing to add in because of a very vocal minority like LFG tool, macros, dual specs to name a few, we have seen what happens to the game when bioware listens to this vocal minority so its time for a change.

When you try out a server, make sure to pick one with a standard pop.

Well, yes, the game will be canceled eventually. I mean, at the least, in four billion years when the sun inflates to a red giant and the Earth is consumed in the flames, the costs of keeping the server room cool will be so high it won't be economical to keep things running.

Probably, it will end slightly before that.

Given that WAR is still tottering along at... what? 2 servers now?, even if SWTOR does much more poorly in the long run than seems likely, it will still probably keep running for a good 4-5 years. It's very likely it will last 10 years or more, depending on unpredictable changes in technology, economy, buying habits, etc. Meredian 59 is still going, albeit wheezing on life support.

Most likely, after 5 years or so, it will become more focused on a slowly-dwindling base of hardcore players, with expansions, content, etc, aimed squarely at the top of the curve. After 6 or 7 years, the engine, etc, will be noticeably clunky; by that time, most new MMOs will look like Crysis 3 or the like, with powerful real-time physics and rendering. There will probably be a long, slow, twilight era, a lot like EQ is in.

Seriously, there are WAY more important things to worry about...but being that I'm a psychic and all, I'll help you prepare and tell you secretly that SWTOR closes down on December 21st, 2012. The Mayans weren't lazy...they were RIGHT!

Eventually, the game will end. When will that be? Who knows. Not for years anyway. But it will end. All games will end. All things end.

Eventually even the stars will die. Worrying about it is pointless. Do what you want to do with the time alloted. Eventually no one will care whether you played steam games or swtor, and I guarantee most of the people alive right now don't. So do what makes you happy, and try not to stop others from being happy.

Your time is short and precious. Spend it well.

If the mess that Warhammer Online has become is being kept alive, I wouldn't worry about TOR.

Warhammer has nothing to do with LA though.

If SOE had their way, SWG would still be running now. SOE wanted SWG to go F2P, but LA did not want it to happen. SWTOR may need to go F2P to survive, but if LA is still against F2P, then SWTOR will more likely close down too

SWG shutting down makes there to be plenty to worry about

What is there to worry about?

Playing a video game is NOTHING more than a pass time....

You achieve absolutely NOTHING from playing them.

Reality check here.

Trust me, theres millions out there that veiw MMO's as thier life.

I think people are forgetting that this game belongs to LA not EA. It was LA that decided to not renew its contract with SOE!

Agreed. As long as LA holds the power who knows, its not like WOW where Blizzard is king of their own product.

Bioware/EA do not own Starwars and therefore if SWTOR does not bring in the money for LA then its possible it wont last. Its really up to LA on what will happen in the future.

Based on history things are bleak and money talks more than the fanbase.

I am sure bioware/EA have a contract with LA so the game should last untill the contract is up, how long is that contract...I dont know.

Edited by kirorx

What is there to worry about?

Playing a video game is NOTHING more than a pass time....

You achieve absolutely NOTHING from playing them.

Reality check here.

Single player games there is nothing but the ironic thing is you can play them forever

I put 8.5 years into SWG, and it is all gone. Items that I have purchased, or acquired through playing, player cities and housing spent loads of time building up. Friendships made whilst playing all gone, as we all go different ways.

After playing a MMO for years and years, there is plenty to lose. There is nothing to lose by playing a game that does not require the internet to play.

With SWTOR I just plan on playing through my characters and the stories, and then quitting before it closes. I am not investing any more time into MMOs / games that require an internet connection to play.

They will pull the plug someday. Every MMO will.

I disagree.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Everquest.

And at least one Conan server will still be going.

Hell, Meridian 59 was released in 1995 and it's still operating. You can still play DAoC of all things if you want.

Simply put, no one spends this much money on an mmo to pull the plug any time soon.

And if you "marry" the game, you're doing it wrong. It's just a bit of fun.

Edited by Blistrich

I disagree.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Everquest.

And at least one Conan server will still be going.

Hell, Meridian 59 was released in 1995 and it's still operating. You can still play DAoC of all things if you want.

Simply put, no one spends this much money on an mmo to pull the plug any time soon.

And if you "marry" the game, you're doing it wrong. It's just a bit of fun.

Meridian 59 and DAoC aren't bound by an entity that has complete control over the IP.

They will have no problems making back their development costs, if they haven't done so already. If the relationship between LucasArts and Bio/EA sours for any reason, have no doubt that LA will pull the plug once the licensing agreements expire.

Meridian 59 and DAoC aren't bound by an entity that has complete control over the IP.

They will have no problems making back their development costs, if they haven't done so already. If the relationship between LucasArts and Bio/EA sours for any reason, have no doubt that LA will pull the plug once the licensing agreements expire.

Do you have any idea how much money was spent on this game?

Pulling the plug based on a sour relationship would not only be fiscally irresponsible and financially devastating, it would rock the reputation of both entities to the absolute ground.

Think about these things, you know, like a company would.

Edited by Blistrich