Newbie Q about FPs

Most likely this has already been asked, but since there's no search function I'm gonna ask it again!

So I tried doing a Flashpoint earlier with a buddy, but after we group'd up and clicked on the console it didnt give him an option to join my convo. We thought it a bug and had him invite me to his group, then it tells me that my level of FP is higher than his?

Did i miss some tutorial or codex? Didn't know there are different level FPs, what level is mine and what affect does it have if I join a lower level one? It also looks like u can't join a higher level one? Wont this restrict how you can party with randoms

Telling us which flashpoint also might help.

Hard to give you details if you give us none.

If someone has already done something and someone else hasn't, it can make for difficulties with flashpoints.

Better to make sure that everyone is at the same place.

Just get to the point where you are ready to enter on your own and then group up, or if no one has done any part of a flashpoint, group up in advance.

Those flashpoints where the droid gives you the mission to go to the console and get the real mission are a pain to synchronize if everyone does not know exactly what they have done and what they are doing.

They should get rid of those consoles at the start and just have the droid play the broadcast from Satele/Malgus/whoever directly, or just make them different sources of the same info.

This specific case was Hammer Station. I had previously ran it 3x with randoms, my friend just got online and was gonna be his first time entering. I'm assuming the difficulty is jacked up everytime you beat it? He didnt even have the option to join my convo when I tried to initiate the FP at the console, so I'm guessing you can't play at the 'higher' level until you've beaten it the same time...this true at all?