Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

JovethGonzalez

What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2  

3,457 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2

• They're good!
    • They're terrible!
    • I don't care either way.

What about abilities that proc on having dot on target like bounty hunter. You have absolutely no hope to see it as useable because everything is grayed out all the time.

the only way abilites are "grayed out all the time" is if you are spamming keypresses

so dont spam keypresses and you have no trouble seeing when conditionals activate..

as for the original question and poll, i like them myself, have no troulbe playing with them but then again i had no trouble before this change either

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only way abilites are "grayed out all the time" is if you are spamming keypresses

So melee characters like mine with instant action abilities are supposed to go attack, pause, attack, pause, attack? Nice thinking, Sherlock.

Edited by darthtoph

so dont spam keypresses and you have no trouble seeing when conditionals activate..

as for the original question and poll, i like them myself, have no troulbe playing with them but then again i had no trouble before this change either

Don't spam keypresses? Are you kidding me, it shouldn't matter if I do it or not (like in WoW). Almost everyone does it as it makes you sure you don't lose that milisecond window between abilities. You make yourself sound as ignorant game developer tut tut.

Yeah, I suppsoe if I don´t use my keyboard I´ll be able to see the conditionals.... Are you for real??

I mean seriously, you answer to that guy with this? Hello, teh game is supposed to handle succesive keypressing nto hti a key , wait 1 sec hit other key...

If you are waiting until AFTER the gcd is down to press another ability, you are performing quite sub optimally aka being bad.

Stop.

So no fix after two full threads (and this one) of dozens of people complaining of physical symtoms after playing your game. that is just the people that go to the forums, how many others simply logged off after feeling ill? The negligence is *********** criminal.

So no fix after two full threads (and this one) of dozens of people complaining of physical symtoms after playing your game. that is just the people that go to the forums, how many others simply logged off after feeling ill? The negligence is *********** criminal.

I'm sorry, how many people are logging off due to sickness out of total players? Please provide your numbers to show this is affecting a major portion of players.

So you can watch a whole screen of flashing effects but not a couple inches on the bottom and sides? Somehow, aside from a few w/real problems, I get the impression some of you are being over dramatic lol.

I'm sure they'll change the UI again for you. But in know way is this a emergency hot fix. And all games say see a doctor before you play if you have these issues. Your health is your responsibility. As every game has this disclaimer.

Edited by WarheartZero

I dislike the new UI a lot.

There are two main problems:

One: The Global Cooldown causes ALL abilities to flash when it's up. This means all of your bars will flash white every 1.5 seconds.

Two: Using ANY ability causes all of your abilities to go grey and they don't fade back in until after the Global Cooldown is up. This is a huge problem when you're a class that spams abilities every second, such as a Jedi Sentinel. Basically, the abilities never light back up and are in a constant state of fading grey and flashing. Because of this, you can't tell what abilities are ready, whether or not you're in range, or if you have enough resources to use the ability.

And don't get me started on the flashing every 1.5 seconds...

This sums it all up for me right here

I'm sorry how many people are logging off due to sickness out of total players. please provide your numbers to show this is affecting a major portion of players.

how many people logged off because ilum didn't work? that deals with points in a game when the dizziness deals with actual people becoming ill. the thread talking about this has reached its post limit twice. its in its third thread, plus everyone who was here.

i sent in several tickets and it was ignored. unfortunately the forums are the only outlet to try to get people to listen but its too easy to troll if you dont feel the symptoms a number of other people have with the strobe of this UI.

Edited by gryhmr

this flashing thing is ridiculous, at least put an option in the preferences so those that dont like it can turn it off...shouldnt be so hard...and spend your time on addressing more serious issues in the game...and yes i know the christmas is over :cool:

just my 2 cents

Edited by shabanezzi

BW had the option to do this earlier today when they took down the servers to hotfix Ilum. But they didn't bother. That says it all right there....

They also didn't fix the frozen water thing, so I take this as BW saying it's OK for us to use it in WZs.

Personally I prefer this new cooldown thing over the old one, but all this complaining is a sign that BW really needs to allow addons. As someone mentioned, there was/is a cooldown addon in WoW that put huge numbers on the abilities that were on cooldown. This would be a much better system, as long as there is no 0.0002 seconds delay between the actual cooldown finish and when you're able to actually use the ability, as this complaining seems to be all about...

Edited by Mrs_Murder

I HATE the changes made, I really didn't have a problem with the UI until now and I don't see why they would introduce a fix when nothing was broken.

I find it makes it very difficult to play, I don't want a large section of my screen flashing at me every time I do anything. I actually stopped playing after it was introduced and haven't really logged on since because I find it that unpleasant.

I understand that some people like it and that is fine, but when introducing a change this drastic it would be nice to have an option to turn it off.

I really hope this isn't here to stay as I could see it reducing my chances of continuing to subscribe.

Possibly more than any part of the game, UI is a very subjective topic, so we understand the varied opinions expressed here. The long-term aim for The Old Republic is to give players flexibility in their UI choices and the changes coming for Game Update 1.2 will allow for more of that.

Stephen,

No matter what you do, or how well you do it, it will not suit everybody. One of the greatest things about other MMO's was the ability to define almost any aspect of the UI to your own personal preference via community addons. - Look at wow. Default UI - basic and unimaginative, But with Addons it can be absolutely whatever you want it to be.

Raid frames, logs, meters, chat boxes, maps, action bars, visual aura indicators, cursors, HUDs, Timers, Bags, panels, nameplates, etc. The list goes on. There are thousands of addons available offering millions of options for the unique UI which can be set up entirely as the player wishes. Anything short of this will not keep the masses happy. The only solution to this is to open up the game to the community and let them pour their creative experiance into it. Capture their expertise, capitalise on it.

I feel that attempting to create the a default UI (even with some options for scaling etc) is a waste of your resources as I firmly believe you will end up opening the game to addons sooner or later anyway.

Lets look at this way:

Action bars: Needs to be fully configurable - You need to make bars that can be moved anywhere, split, hidden, scaled individually etc etc. A fantastic example of this utility is Dominoes/Bongos or Bartender.

Bags: I do like the 'all in one bag' you have done on the default UI, especially with the quest items and currency seperated out, but addons like Arcinventory allow you to separate out junk items, crafting matts, gear (even tagging them as tank gear or healer etc), miscellanious items, consumables etc. All in one bag is no better than split bags if it is not sorted.

Raidframes: A huge aspect of the UI that you will NEVER get 'right'. its soooo subjective to people's needs. Some people like it small and indiscrete, some big and easily clickable. We want to create it to our role and playstyle. We need to know what our targets are targetting, what our focus is doing, and who they are targeting. Hell sometimes we want to know what our target's target's target is targetting.

We want to colour code to class for easy recognition, to show resources (or not), to change color on health loss (or not), to be able to show numerical info like health left, health lost, percentages.

We want to move the frames around in groups, we want to scale them separately, to group by class, by role etc. The list of player desires in this field alone is literally endless.

Meters/logs: Damage meters - ok maybe or maybe not, thats another arguement. But threat meters, especially when threat is hard to keep in SWTOR are essential IMO. As a tank I have noooo idea how far ahead I am of the DPS. I can't risk stopping my rotation to grab a mob, or follow a boss mechanic as keenly as i would like. Coupled with a damage log which would let me things like what type of damage and where the spikes are it means I cannot improve. I dont have the tools to work out how to streamline. Meters - Omen threat meter is crucial, and battle text logs with all their customisible features would be very welcome here.

Chat boxes: Not something i'm fussed on changing, but others certainly are. I do find that my chat box is often not for chat in SWTOR - its too busy telling me what xp or cash i've gained. The ability to create extra chatboxes (one for guild one for trade etc) would be handy.

Visual Auras: Look at powerauras: you can trigger on screen effects to tell you when a certain situation has happened. Key ability off of CD, a spell effect starting/ending, dots, low health, low resource. These are all things we look out for anyway, we can just see them how we wish to see them.

Nameplates: Have a look at tidy plates threat plates or Aloft. These are fully customisable nameplates that can change colour on aggro. They are amazing for AOE tanking and tell you immediately something breaks away from you. Like wise they can show debuffs on that mob, scale on mob type, and all sorts of other funky features.

All of these things make people play the way the want to play. Until all of the above and more is an option in the default UI people will not be satisfied. So I ask you, whats quicker - making all this happen or opening up the UI to the addon community?

I think the changes are a definite improvement, however....allowing a customizable UI is the only thing that is going to stop all the complaints. At that point, anyone who doesn't like their UI has no one to blame but themselves.

The existing UI is playable for leveling so far. That being said I haven't reached any end-game content and having come from a world-ranked raiding guild in WoW, I know I am going to hate the UI when I have to use it for that. Simple things like being able to move and re-size the frames, chat box, etc are going to be a huge improvement.

I know you guys have plans for doing so, so no complaints here yet.

Stephen,

No matter what you do, or how well you do it, it will not suit everybody. One of the greatest things about other MMO's was the ability to define almost any aspect of the UI to your own personal preference via community addons. - Look at wow. Default UI - basic and unimaginative, But with Addons it can be absolutely whatever you want it to be.

Raid frames, logs, meters, chat boxes, maps, action bars, visual aura indicators, cursors, HUDs, Timers, Bags, panels, nameplates, etc. The list goes on. There are thousands of addons available offering millions of options for the unique UI which can be set up entirely as the player wishes. Anything short of this will not keep the masses happy. The only solution to this is to open up the game to the community and let them pour their creative experiance into it. Capture their expertise, capitalise on it.

I feel that attempting to create the a default UI (even with some options for scaling etc) is a waste of your resources as I firmly believe you will end up opening the game to addons sooner or later anyway.

Lets look at this way:

Action bars: Needs to be fully configurable - You need to make bars that can be moved anywhere, split, hidden, scaled individually etc etc. A fantastic example of this utility is Dominoes/Bongos or Bartender.

Bags: I do like the 'all in one bag' you have done on the default UI, especially with the quest items and currency seperated out, but addons like Arcinventory allow you to separate out junk items, crafting matts, gear (even tagging them as tank gear or healer etc), miscellanious items, consumables etc. All in one bag is no better than split bags if it is not sorted.

Raidframes: A huge aspect of the UI that you will NEVER get 'right'. its soooo subjective to people's needs. Some people like it small and indiscrete, some big and easily clickable. We want to create it to our role and playstyle. We need to know what our targets are targetting, what our focus is doing, and who they are targeting. Hell sometimes we want to know what our target's target's target is targetting.

We want to colour code to class for easy recognition, to show resources (or not), to change color on health loss (or not), to be able to show numerical info like health left, health lost, percentages.

We want to move the frames around in groups, we want to scale them separately, to group by class, by role etc. The list of player desires in this field alone is literally endless.

Meters/logs: Damage meters - ok maybe or maybe not, thats another arguement. But threat meters, especially when threat is hard to keep in SWTOR are essential IMO. As a tank I have noooo idea how far ahead I am of the DPS. I can't risk stopping my rotation to grab a mob, or follow a boss mechanic as keenly as i would like. Coupled with a damage log which would let me things like what type of damage and where the spikes are it means I cannot improve. I dont have the tools to work out how to streamline. Meters - Omen threat meter is crucial, and battle text logs with all their customisible features would be very welcome here.

Chat boxes: Not something i'm fussed on changing, but others certainly are. I do find that my chat box is often not for chat in SWTOR - its too busy telling me what xp or cash i've gained. The ability to create extra chatboxes (one for guild one for trade etc) would be handy.

Visual Auras: Look at powerauras: you can trigger on screen effects to tell you when a certain situation has happened. Key ability off of CD, a spell effect starting/ending, dots, low health, low resource. These are all things we look out for anyway, we can just see them how we wish to see them.

Nameplates: Have a look at tidy plates threat plates or Aloft. These are fully customisable nameplates that can change colour on aggro. They are amazing for AOE tanking and tell you immediately something breaks away from you. Like wise they can show debuffs on that mob, scale on mob type, and all sorts of other funky features.

All of these things make people play the way the want to play. Until all of the above and more is an option in the default UI people will not be satisfied. So I ask you, whats quicker - making all this happen or opening up the UI to the addon community?

This. I hate the stock WoW UI and for the most part like the stock UI from SWTOR but it's still a stock UI with little to no flexibility. Addon support and/or more UI customization features would be ideal by the time 1.2 comes around.

I'm sorry, how many people are logging off due to sickness out of total players? Please provide your numbers to show this is affecting a major portion of players.

So you can watch a whole screen of flashing effects but not a couple inches on the bottom and sides? Somehow, aside from a few w/real problems, I get the impression some of you are being over dramatic lol.

I'm sure they'll change the UI again for you. But in know way is this a emergency hot fix. And all games say see a doctor before you play if you have these issues. Your health is your responsibility. As every game has this disclaimer.

I quit the game and unsubbed due to physical symptoms (headaches, eyestrain), so you can count me. Had nothing against the game (at least not enough to make me quit) until now, and I might even retry the game when they get around to fixing the UI.

I play PvP alot, so I am using my skills, ALOT. Watching those 4 flashing action bars go off every 1.5 seconds is rediculous.

Dev. response where they pretty much lay the blame for this horrible UI fix on us the players for not testing it well enough on PTS is worse than incompetent. I wish no one any physical harm, but maybe someone having a seizure and ending up in the hospital would be enough to wake these guys up.

In the meantime, I'm playing Rift. No Headaches. No eyestrain.

Edited by Sholagar

Stephen,

Lets look at this way:

Well said sir...you have won the internet.

I thought i'd give this it's own thread because it worked for me and may help oithers but have been asked to place it in a thread which it will probably be swamped in and missed by many. Hope it helps at least one other player :)

My main is a level 50 Powertech.

Since the 1.1.2 patch and change to the global cooldown indicator I have been suffering from nausea (motion sickness) and prolonged play induces a migraine like headache.

I have linked this to the pulse that occurs on the ability box after GCD has finished.

With all 2 bottom bars full and the two side bars nearly full (only 3 slots free on left bar and 5 on right bar) this coinstant pulse every 1.5 secs in combat situations was very close to a strobe effect.

I reshuffled my core abilities all down to the two bottom bars and removed the side bars completely.

Also, my previous eye focus point used to be on my characters shoulders, now I try to focus on the lower legs which brings the bottom bars out of the lower peripheral vision.

While not ideal as it does mean some rare situational combat abilities have been removed it has resulted in nausea/headache free play for me.

Edited by Vhaegrant

I quit the game and unsubbed due to physical symptoms (headaches, eyestrain), so you can count me. Had nothing against the game (at least not enough to make me quit) until now, and I might even retry the game when they get around to fixing the UI.

I asked support about an ETA on a fix or whatsoever, but their response was "no idea, keep on reading patch notes".

My sub. will expire in 5 days, so, yeah...i'll quit this game for a while.

I just need to rant that the new way the global cool down is displayed is total junk. after the swiping animation crosses over my icon making it glow white it swipes to black followed by a fade in effect on the button. this CAUSES latency at my end cos the visual que that an ability is available is fading in.

so now my ques are delayed, i'm no pinball wizard who plays by sense of smell

i'm not deaf or blind or...well maybe the other thing

so visual ques are important to me :(

Stephen,

Lets look at this way:

This 100%.