The Empire/Republic ships in TOR are wrong

Nireves

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place way before the Clone Wars or the Galactic Civil War.

In TOR, the Sith Empire has triangular shaped battleships in space missions and the Republic (the actual Galactic Reapublic) has Correlian class ships and ships that looks like the Rebel fleet in the Galactic Civil War.

Thousands of years later, the clone army of the Republic (same republic presumably, so the Sith Empire loses the war) uses triangular shaped ships.

Then the Emperor dissolves the senate and turns the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire, this empire is not the Sith Empire from TOR but it is run by Sith.

Then in the galactic civil war, the Empire uses the same triangular shaped ships that the Sith Empire did way back when and that the clones used while the Rebels use the ships that the Republic uses in TOR.

Shouldn't the Republic in TOR use the triangular shaped ships? Aren't these the battleships of the Republic in the Clone Wars and in the Galactic Civil War? Is Bioware using the lame Rebel ships just because people use the 'Republic' and 'Rebels' interchangeably?

Does Bioware realize that you can't pull the ships used by the Empire and Rebels in the Galactic Civil War straight back and use them like that because the Empire used to be the Republic?

Edited by Nireves

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you that they need to change something. It has been bugging me in every space scene. Unless this Sith Empire eventually is victorious and influences the ship designs the later Galactic Republic make use of... I don't know.

Afraid you're over-thinking this. Star Wars is a fantasy rather than a solid, quantifiable history. The reason the Sith Empire has the same wedge-shaped ships as the Galactic Empire is because THEY EEEEVIL. And that's about that.

If you really want an in-universe reason for it (and you shouldn't) you could probably argue that there's some kind of latent cultural memory lingering in the residents of the Star Wars galaxy, and the moment anyone ever harbours any ideas of galactic domination they sit down with the ship designers and say "What about a wedge shape? I'm just spitballing here."

Either way, I quite like the idea of a bunch of historians around about the start of the Clone Wars going "Are you kidding me? You don't remember what happened last time we had ships like this? Seriously?"

And yes, it's illogical, but I expended all my rage over this 7 years ago in KOTOR II when the Ravager first turned up. Now I just relax and enjoy it all. It's better this way.

Well, to a point, that is true.

It makes sense for the Emperor of the Rebellion era to have the same overall design on the Imperial starships, as a way to honor the Sith of old times. It's in his character, and makes sense.

Naturally, the rebellion era starships are vastly more powerful. If you look at size and equipment, no ships in ToR can hold up against a rebellion era Imperial Class Star Destroyer. Not to mention the Super SD's.

As for the republic, it's not the -same- ships they're using. Again, similar in design, but nothing alike. Mainly, the ships in Rise of the Empire (episodes I, II, III) and Rebellion Era (Episodes IV, V, VI) are made by Corellian starship factories, which are companies with a proud past. The CR90 Corvette, for example looks similar to SWTOR's Jedi Starship. The YT series of transports also bear resemblance to SWTOR's XS stock light freighter (Smuggler ship).

So overall, yeah, designs are similar but the specs of the ships changes immensely.

..and yes, btw, I am abit of a nerd ^_^

Well, to a point, that is true.

It makes sense for the Emperor of the Rebellion era to have the same overall design on the Imperial starships, as a way to honor the Sith of old times. It's in his character, and makes sense.

Naturally, the rebellion era starships are vastly more powerful. If you look at size and equipment, no ships in ToR can hold up against a rebellion era Imperial Class Star Destroyer. Not to mention the Super SD's.

But the ships that the Emperor has were the ships of the Republic left over from or built as a result of the clone wars.

Does that mean that the Jedi that commissioned the clone army and had those tall aliens build the fleet was a Sith?

And what did the Rebels do, dig up 3000 year old ships or build exact copies of 3000 year old ships

Afraid you're over-thinking this. Star Wars is a fantasy rather than a solid, quantifiable history.

I definitely am over thinking haha, but my problem is that this puts Bioware's rendering of the star wars universe more on the side of what they think popular culture thinks a star wars game should be and less on the side of a true star wars universe.

But the ships that the Emperor has were the ships of the Republic left over from or built as a result of the clone wars.

Does that mean that the Jedi that commissioned the clone army and had those tall aliens build the fleet was a Sith?

And what did the Rebels do, dig up 3000 year old ships or build exact copies of 3000 year old ships

Yeah, that's been discussed at great lengths, hehe. It SHOULD have been Republic designs, not sure if GL ever really officially commented on that. It's possible that master Sifo Dyas (the one who ordered the clone army built and, btw, also later was "fused" biologically to create General Grievous) thought that the Imperial ship designs were more effective. It's also possible that he had nothing to do with it, that the triangular shape simply was the Kaminoans favored designs.

It is said that Kuat Drive yards created ships for the Galactic Republic and then shifted to create for the Empire

(Quote: Kuat Drive Yards mainly sold its products to the Galactic Empire, and the Galactic Republic previously. Many Kuat products could be found in TIE Fighters, armored fighting vehicles such as AT-STs and AT-ATs, Star Destroyers, and other military vehicles.)

So it's generally the same "Corporation" that created both lines of ships.

There is also a mention of it in this article.

To quote from there:

The 752-meter-long Acclamator I-class assault transport carried thousands of Republic clone troopers into battle. The Acclamator I favored a wedge or dagger shaped design, like the Republic warships during the Mandalorian Wars, due to its effectiveness—it allowed concentration of firepower while minimizing target profile. This basic design was used in a number of larger craft predating it and would define Imperial ships for decades to come.

Actually, this.

The Jedi that ordered the Clone army was heavily influenced by Dooku.

(Although I prefer the earlier draft version of the story, where he was called Sido-Dyas which is an obvious reference to Sidious.)

Also, During the Mandolorian wars the republic was known to use both Centurion Class Battlecruisers : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Centurion-class_battlecruiser

As Interdictor class Cruisers : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_cruiser

While those same shiptypes would serve the Sith empire a few years later.

If we look at the storyline of the game, it appears that many of the republic ships are of Corellian design, which makes sense I suppose.

i Dnt see how u are pulling hairs over the difference in the ships when you fail to grasp a hold on some of the lore.

of course the jedi that commisioned the clone army was a sith/ considering the fact that sideous was pulling the strings in the republic AND that the council had no idea that such an army was cleared for approval by a jedi that was dead for over ten years (coincides with palpatines becoming supreme chancilo cough cough* and on another note u failed to even recall who these "cloners" are called? they are Kamino.

Afraid you're over-thinking this. Star Wars is a fantasy rather than a solid, quantifiable history. The reason the Sith Empire has the same wedge-shaped ships as the Galactic Empire is because THEY EEEEVIL. And that's about that.

Concur. In the Star Wars universe, the evil guys get cooler looking boats and stuff, while the "good guys" get the crap and are told to move out and draw fire.

and on another note u failed to even recall who these "cloners" are called? they are Kamino.

Don't be a douche, man. If you're going to correct someone, do it in a positive way. Also, the planet was Kamino; the people were Kaminoans.

The whole ship aesthetics issue comes down to one man: Palpatine.

Up until 1000 BBY, the Republic used ships like the Thranta and the Hammerhead, as we see in KOTOR and TOR. Sure, the designs change. For the most part, the Sith are the ones who use the wedge-shaped ships like the dreadnoughts in TOR.

Roughly 1000 BBY, something huge happened. The Sith were wiped out (or so the Republic thought). Because of this, certain things happened to the Republic, which are called the Ruusan Reformations. The specifics are not important. All you need to know is that, after Ruusan, the Republic no longer had a standing army. It relied on formal treaties and local law enforcement and militias to keep the peace. The Jedi themselves put away their armor and embraced a lifestyle of peace.

Fast forward to the Rise of the Empire era. Sidious had a clone army created. But, the Republic had no means of ferrying these troops around to wage war against the Separatists. What probably happened is Palpatine (either as Sifo-dyas or through him) offered old Sith schematics to some shipmakers (perhaps KDY), who then improved the designs, bringing them up to modern standards.

The Acclamator was not a Republic design. Well, it was, but the Republic had no idea it had them until Geonosis.

This is how I see it, the first wedge ships were first designed and used by the Rakatan Empire, this design would later be copied by the Sith Empire after losing the Great Hyperspace war, looking for a superior design capable of defeating the Republic Fleet.

During the Mandalorian wars though the Republic forces under Revan begin to design for unkown reasons wedge shaped capital ships to use against the Mandalorians (My guess is imperial infiltrators want to test the capabilities of wegde ships against normal vessels, the mandalorian wars and the jedi civil war was actually nothing but the Empire testing the military capabilities of the galaxy).

After the defeat of Revan's Sith Empire and the Star Forge the wedge ship design is now used solely by Sith Remnants and The True Sith Empire hiding in unkown space, the Republic continues to use the hammerhead and corellia designs. Then the Empire returns and the Great War starts. In the next 3000 years a technological dark age will start because of the New SIth Wars, and the wedge ship designs will diseaper until somewhere around or during the movies when Republic Engineers will conclude that the wedge ship design is the most efficient.

Then we get the movies in which the Republic navy is made into the Imperial Navy, and then after the movies the Star Destroyers will become the preffered capital ship design for both Imperial Remnant and New Republic forces.

Edited by SNCommand

During the Mandalorian wars though the Republic forces under Revan begin to design for unkown reasons wedge shaped capital ships to use against the Mandalorians (My guess is imperial infiltrators want to test the capabilities of wegde ships against normal vessels, the mandalorian wars and the jedi civil war was actually nothing but the Empire testing the military capabilities of the galaxy).

There is a stated reason for using the wedge shape. It allows most of the ship's weapons to fire forward.

So, it makes sense for the Sith to use this design, as they are a highly militant people. it makes sense for Revan to input that design into the Star Forge, as it would make his conquering the Republic easier. But, with Revan, it also was a psychological thing: the shape of the ships and their capabilities scared people.

This principle would later be expanded on by Wilhuff Tarkin, where he believed that it was better to rule by the fear of force, rather than by force itself. A Star Destroyer certainly could back up its fierce demeanor (especially the Eclipse class), but their real power came from their status as a symbol of the Empire's strength. They served as oppressor and rallying cry all in one.

The imps don't have star destroyers in swtor....sly completely diff looks. I mean OMG they are both in the general same shape!!

The repub fleet looks nothing like the rebels, no corellian or mon cal ships.

But think about this, today's subaru looks the same as the ones 10 years ago, they just have little things to make em newer and have better performance. Same thing with ships, the manufacturer has the same design idea with better performance.

And last but not least, history repeats its self.

Is there even a Kuat Drive Yards (Builders of Imperial Star Destroyers in the OT era) at this point? o_O

Unfortunatly yes, Bioware had gone the easy way by simply copying everything from Orginal Starwars, so you have Kuat Drive Yards, the Soorosub corporation and well many many many other companies, with thanks to Bioware 4000 year old Tradition.

They created a world of technological and cultural STAGNATION.

Even the "cantina" music has been the same for 4000 years. Every hutt has a palace, a rankorn and people frozen in Carbonite... Its just a copy of orginal SW. Few thousand years earlier

Actually..

The ships for the republic consist of hammerhead cruisers, are from the entire old republic era (my favorite kind), and the Oval-shaped ship I don't recall the name of.

The triangular shaped ship for the empire is just an old sith design. Maybe palpatine may similiar for his empire..

It's just coincidence they look similiar....

There's a 3700 year time difference...

just my opinion

I think as in any war the loser ends up delivering its technology to the winner, as the republic was the one who won it absorbed such as ship and until the period of the clone wars republic did not have an army not the model has undergone many changes. but with galactic empire the model was being perfected, and the rebels will not choose the ships that will use but used what they had at the time

sorry for my english

the only thing i always noticed on Star Wars ships especially the triangular designs.. their skin / armour seem THICK.. enough to ram any ships..

feels different , really feels like a warships compared to other Sci-fi like star trek where the ships looks like a floating hotel/yahtc

I don't suppose anyone's bothered to look at the republic's symbol during episodes 1-3 yet? Looks suspiciously like the imperial crest. Clues for what happens in this war perhaps?

I think that you're on to something here. Think about it. What if, some time after TOR takes place, the Sith Empire is weakened enough that it opts to just capitulate and merge into the Republic. Give a few thousand years for cultural exchange and cultural melding, and the Republic begins to adopt some symbols of the old Sith Empire, including adopting it's naval tradition (the ship designs), it's insignias (the Imperial/Republic Crest), and titles (the title of "Moff" ets.).

If you look at the symbol of the Jedi Order used on the Clone Wars TV show, it's nearly identical to the insignia that the Republic uses in the TOR era; while if you look at the symbol used by the Republic government, it's very reminicent of the TOR era's Imperial Crest. Thus, we can draw the conclusion that, at some point in time after TOR, the Republic began to adopt Imperial iconography, while the Jedi absorbed the symbols of the "Old" (relatively speaking) Republic.

Or, maybe I am over-thinking things quite a bit....

Is there even a Kuat Drive Yards (Builders of Imperial Star Destroyers in the OT era) at this point? o_O

Yup.

Kuat Drive Yards Missile Magazine

Binds on Equip

Missile Launcher

Total Stats:

Armor Rating 122

+7 Ship Armor

+6 Ship Missiles Count

Requires Level 49

The current republic and empire will merge at some point. The Imperial ship design is far superior to the republics, it's only natural that when they merge, they will choose the better ship design. Once the rebellion kicks into gear in the OT, the ships are refitted support vessels and other, non-military grade vessels. Once the Mon Cal join in with their capital ships, only then does the Rebellion even have military grade capital ships. The B-wings are clone wars era ships, the X-wing a new prototype that was designed to be a hybrid and stolen by the rebellion.

The Republic capital ships, the big round ones, are fleet support ships. The Empire ones are designed for maximum firepower.