Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

As a pvp player, this game offer very little.

No Open world pvp is a major dissapointment. I run around the galaxy all geared up looking to get the jump on anyone but aside from the occasional lowbie (that i leave alone, for the most part) i dont see much action

I can only play warzones before long before i want to head out to the world, its like practicing for the big game but never playing.

I know others like myself are disappointed by this and have left, i have stuck it out only because of the IP but i am not sure for how much longer.

Edited by kirorx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is SWTOR dying?

No, it's not dying. BioWare over estimated the number of servers they would need to maintain healthy populations after the honeymoon phase was over for the game and the people that just bought to try it out had left. What that essentially meant was that the population was too spread out.

Last figure I heard SWTOR was at 1.3 million (there could have been more recent data but I haven't heard of it). This is obviously not dead nor dying, considering that pre-release BioWare said the game would be a success at 500,000 active subscribers.

With the forthcoming server transfers we should see communities forming and populations on selected servers increasing. As much as people complain about the game I'm convinced that the game isn't the problem. Rather, it was the poor planning (in this case OVER planning) of BioWare in the beginning. The population problem began at launch.

Frustrating yes...dieing no...just wait until server transfers and everyone will start enjoying the game again. Honstly they need to do the transfers like a week ago...but it will happen eventually...

everyone knows about this. thats what all the talk about taxis, vehicles, and quick travel comes down to.

everyone i meet talks about how walking around on this and other mmos takes forever....and its a big discouragement for people who are busy. the first time i was on Alderaan i think i walked for 20 min straight just fighting occasionally ...it just feels endless...i know its tough for developers in that u need this to be in the game....experience points anyone? but it could be a bit easier for those who don't have time. BW makes this easier every major update it seems. those who want the experience...need to be able to get it and those who don't have time...who might have kids etc. need to be able to just do the important stuff. older players who have less time often have more cash..BW should offer the abilty to pay more to get even faster vehicles..

Here myself and most others I come across disagree.

We tend to think that instant travel of any kinda (minus the cool down on a hearth type ability) is horrible.

Instant travel to instances? **** BAD

Instant travel to zones? bad

Instant travel to WZ's? bad

Having to actually walk around the world creates a much more immersive world, is the buildling blocks for engaging in world pvp, and generally makes the world seem much, MUCH larger.

Sitting in one place all day long (fleet in TOR, and SW/Org in WoW) is just horrible design.

Here myself and most others I come across disagree.

We tend to think that instant travel of any kinda (minus the cool down on a hearth type ability) is horrible.

Instant travel to instances? **** BAD

Instant travel to zones? bad

Instant travel to WZ's? bad

Having to actually walk around the world creates a much more immersive world, is the buildling blocks for engaging in world pvp, and generally makes the world seem much, MUCH larger.

Sitting in one place all day long (fleet in TOR, and SW/Org in WoW) is just horrible design.

The building blocks for world pvp is actually having people to pvp with and having a reason to (objective), not "immersiveness".

I dont see Server Transfers 'Saving the game', there is a reason so many people left and the RESULT is low population servers it's not the PROBLEM.

Say I logged in now, what is there to do? Warzone, FP, Ops or Daily's. And it's the same choice each and everytime you login. And none of those choices move you along any type of journey. Sure you may get a piece of gear you can use but that's about it.

Crafting is pointless as almost everyone can make the same item, and exactly the same quality.

Exploration is none existent, you see that little area that looks like it might have something cool to find? Guess what? there is nothing there.

End of the day it's a themepark MMO, everyone loves going to a themepark right? But at the end of the day you go home and you dont go back there every day and do the same rides over and over again... You have a fun day, do all the rides grab some candyfloss and go home right?

Why, let's see... Why did all these people quit playing... Because they didn't enjoy playing it! What a shocker!

News flash: some people buy games and stop playing them after a while. Yes, it happens! Amazingly, it happens in every game, like, ever!

So stop with this stupid nonsense of "Amagad game is dying". Until population stabilizes across tightly packed servers it's not really possible to say if the game is dying or not.

My opinion: game is generally good, needs more stuff to be considered awesome. Will not die even if it was completely awful(which it is not), too many rp'ers and fanboys for that to happen.

/end thread

I wont speak for anyone but myself and this is why I stopped playing.

1. WoW in space. Interface is fine but a Tank/Healer class cookie cutter has been done. And done.And done......Shooting a boss with a blaster at point blank range. SWG had that.

2. Get back to the Story. The storyline content was as always in a Bioware game, superb but I had to spend hours just to get from one side of the major storyline to the next killin 0/30 things over and over and over.

3. May the Force be With You to Kill that Thing and Stuffs. Voice overs were great but I dont need 1 min of dialogue to tell me to go kill 30 stuff-a-wompas. Way too much of that.

4. EA. I love Bioware I really do. I also HATE EA I really do. I suffered thru the Warhammer Online launch. Great ****in game with ****-*** deployment and marketing. Who gets that ****-In-The-Face award? You guessed it. EA you have ****ed up every MMO you ever touched or accidentally breathed on dating back to Ultima Online. I would crown you but in this case SONY beat you to the punch with SWG. I mean HOW can you **** up a brand like Star Wars. Unless yer George Lucas of course.

In closing, this in no way should be read as a criticism of the individuals who did their best with what they had only to be LAID OFF. You guys and gals worked your butts off and there are areas of the game where your passion bleeds thru. Take it as a blessing and move on to the next project that hopefully EA wont throw a bajillion dollars at to buyout. To quote Vince Lombardi, "I dont blame you, I blame the guy that hired you."

So there are my reasons. Agree or disagree thats the readers choice.

Edited by Inistis

The building blocks for world pvp is actually having people to pvp with and having a reason to (objective), not "immersiveness".

MMO is supposed to have peeople playing in it. THat is a given. But when everyone is sitting in one place, never moving, you can have all the people you want, and there will be zero people, with a world as small as the place the players are stuck in.

MMO is supposed to have peeople playing in it. THat is a given. But when everyone is sitting in one place, never moving, you can have all the people you want, and there will be zero people, with a world as small as the place the players are stuck in.

I agree. The over-phasing has definitely hurt the interactivity of the game. I mean, most the time you are leveling its a friggin ghost town. Plus there is no real reason to leave the fleet after 50, and if you did, you would have to scoot around on your technologically advanced speeder that travels about the same speed as a moped. Derp.

I just hope the, "Fanbois will buy it no matter what" attitude doesn't destroy this opportunity at making a lasting MMO based on an amazing IP.

It's funny people say they WANT OPEN WORLD PVP. Then when something like the Rakghoul Pandemic event happens and both the crash sit, vendor and Outlaw's den are now open warfare? People complain about not being able to get their event entries and Containment Suit pieces because of the PvP. I had one low level pub threaten to write a ticket to the GMs! (What the heck was a level 17 doing on Tatooine anyway? It's a level 24-28 planet).

So they don't have incentive for Open World PvP after nerfing Illum (and that was really incentive for Imps). Then they add an incentive via a Planetary Event and what happens? "Waaaah! I can't get my quest objectives done, waaah! I can't kill Urtagh!"

If you're on a PvP server - YOU SIGNED UP FOR THAT.

If it's because Urtagh is in Outlaw's Den - guess what THEY'RE GIVING PEOPLE AN INCENTIVE FOR OPEN PVP IN PVE SERVERS. What happens when you get what you ask for? You QQ like never before!

Someone could write an Oompa Loompa song about QQing SWTOR players.

• 7 months later...

My server is always packed and was at full last week i had a 50 sec wait time to log on during the peek hours. has this game lost players... sure but ive seen lots and lots of F2P players around and alot of them plan on subing. i feel that web blog was biased about the game.

I am certainly enjoying the game, the only two beefs that i had about the game was

1. there was no initial xfers off dead servers... BW Fixed that.

2. there is way way way to much oppresive CC in pvp in this game .... hoping BW fixes this.

Edited by DarthSabreth

I think SWTOR is dieing. I don't know about dying though.. What color do you think they are dying it?

Oh wow this is the most awkward thing I have read today. I wonder when the penny will drop and this guy will realise what an idiot he was.

Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:

- server queues are gone

- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy

- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+

- wz queues taking longer to pop

- fp groups harder to find

- less items on markets

- most friends in the friends list are "offline"

- where have all out guildies gone?

- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.

On my Server at primetime there tends to be 2 Instances of the Imperial Fleet. And not long ago I was confronted with a 'the Server is full, you are number 6 in the queue' window. And the Server Status was 'FULL', so.

On my Server at primetime there tends to be 2 Instances of the Imperial Fleet. And not long ago I was confronted with a 'the Server is full, you are number 6 in the queue' window. And the Server Status was 'FULL', so.

So.....the person you quoted posted that a year ago when there was dozens of dead servers, when no consolidations had taken place, and f2p hadn't even been announced yet.