Single target vs AoE Heals

gkshow

I was talking to another player and mentioned the possibility of creating a healer...

He told me one of the classes is more suitable for ST heals and another for AoE heals.

Is this true? If so, which class is for which?

Thanks!

I would roll which ever class you prefer playing not really which one is currently slighty better at AoE healing than the other. If there's one thing I've learned in my years of playing MMO's is that there's no class that remains the same as it was in launch.

There's 3 viable healers in the game. Consular (Sage), Smuggler (Scoundrel) & Trooper (Commando). If one of them falls behind in performance, Bioware will bring them to balance with the other healers. After all there needs to be balance in the force right?

Currently both the Sage & Scoundrel have pretty good aoe abilities.

The sage has the Salvation ability and the scoundrel has the Kolto Cloud ability.

While they appear to be different in the long run they even out.

Scoundrel's Kolto Cloud

Kolto Cloud is an instant.

Kolto Cloud has a 12 second cooldown.

Kolto Cloudh as 10 meters range.

Sage's Salvation

Salvation is a 2 second cast time.

Salvation has a 15 second cooldown.

Salvation has 8 meters range.

Salvation does heal higher but costs more (100 force vs Scoundrel's 30 energy). Energy also replenishes faster than force power does.

Some say in longer fights the Scoundrel is a much better healer. Again if one is vastly weaker they'll change it to balance out.

I cannot speak for the commando as I haven't ventured in that class much.

commando has an aoe heal called kolto bomb as well

and you have to keep in mind that sage healers are enormously better at aoe healing then the other classes, as salvation does not have a limited amount of targets

while bomb and cloud have 3 and 4 respectively

I don't see any of the 3 being an "AOE" healer. With proper CC except on flashpoint bosses there is very little splash/group damage. Sage's AoE is level 31 talent that you can't get until 40 at the earliest. I don't know what endgame is going to look like, but a heal that costs 100 force is not going to be spammable. It will be an Oh Poop! button and will drain you of your ability to heal anything else if used very often.

I also don't buy the scoundrel is better in longer fights scenario. If you spec properly, Sages are pretty efficient. I can stay pretty much full unless the whole group is taking damage and I have to spam heals constantly.

This game is going to require coordination, CC, communication and otherwise not sucking for 4 man groups to pull off the more difficult content. No healer can keep up with a bad tank or dps breaking CC.

Shizuru

31 Jedi Consular Sage

Tarro Blood