New to this

TarranRisj

Well, I'm a newb, I have reached level 17 so far but am now struggling in the game. I'm looking for general help, advice, a guild, friends on here etc. Never did the WOW thing, so this is mostly all new to me. Anyone who can lend me a helping hand, gets a go on my flash new bike :)

Here's a few general tips:

1. Make sure you know what attributes are useful for your class. For example, there is no need to put cunning stats on a Sith Warrior.

2. Keep upgrading your armor. Orange armor can be upgraded through armorings, mods and enhancements. You can buy these from vendors or off the GTN.

3. Upgrade your companions gear too. It will make a big difference.

4. Take a few moments to browse around the Class forum for your specific class. Most all sections have useful stickies at the top that will give you valuable knowledge on playing your chosen class effectively.

My blog is designed for truly new players. There are only some basic tips up right now but I am trying to get material up as fast as possible. In the mean time you can message me any questions you ant here on the forums and I would be happy to help.

1. Make sure you have selected and skilled up your advanced class if you have not already, and apply the all the skills poinst given to you (you get a new one every level you progress), try and stick with one of the three develpment trees, also dont forgot to upgrade your abilities from your trainer you will get at least one new one or upgrade at every new level.

2. As above have said ensure you know your pirmary stat and your compainions main stat and use armour and mods that are geared to that stat. Check the codex on your char if unsure. Keep you gear up to date to your level

3. Unless you have a healing companion its usually best to have your companion in a gaurd stance to act as a kind of tank for you in single play, even if he/she is not fully specced as tank at early levels it does not matter too much and by making him have the more threat it takes the early heat of you especially if your a ranged char.

4. Dont forget to fully recuperate between fights both you and companion and let the cooldowns run down if aal yoru abilities are in cooldown.

5. Get used to your abilities and, where they are on your toolbar and when to use them. You have to be careful not to over use tech/force abilities alal at the same time that all have cooldowns and they all use energy force power that can take a time to regenerate.

6. Focus one one mob at a time, let you companion start on the highest member of a mob group then you work from weakest first up to the strongest. Make use of crowd control/stun abilities which will take a mob out of the battle for little while to lessen the overall threat, Use CC's/stuns when facing a few silvers together.

;)

I knew the flash new bike offer would see the replies roll in lol. Nah seriously thank you all for taking the time to reply, it is brilliant of you. I am a Sith Warrior, level 17, The Progenitor. Crew skills I have heard of and just looked up. Seems I missed that trick oops. I am struggling just defeating bosses on my own. For example I'm getting torn apart by the beasts while trying to find runes on Dromund Kaas and got my *** handed to me on the first part of Nar Shaddaa. I'm only just starting to learn about key binding and am going to be investing in a decent mouse. Did warn you all NEWB Alert!!!. Plus I really like the whole RP aspect and am looking for info and friends to do this more. Hence I'm looking for a friendly, patient guild. :)

I knew the flash new bike offer would see the replies roll in lol. Nah seriously thank you all for taking the time to reply, it is brilliant of you. I am a Sith Warrior, level 17, The Progenitor.

Sith Warrior? I take it you have not chosen your Advanced Class, then? The choices are Marauder and Juggernaut, dual-wielding DPS and DPS/Tank respectively.

Crew skills I have heard of and just looked up. Seems I missed that trick oops.

You can still pick one up. I would recommend Biochem.

I am struggling just defeating bosses on my own. For example I'm getting torn apart by the beasts while trying to find runes on Dromund Kaas and got my *** handed to me on the first part of Nar Shaddaa.

You are underleveled for Nar Shadda, the Class Quest should have directed you to Balmorra, instead. Also, are you running with Vette or on your own?

I'm only just starting to learn about key binding and am going to be investing in a decent mouse. Did warn you all NEWB Alert!!!. Plus I really like the whole RP aspect and am looking for info and friends to do this more. Hence I'm looking for a friendly, patient guild. :)

I would also ask if you've updated your armour recently - as a Warrior (Marauder or Juggernaut) you'll need Strength. Vette requires Cunning.

I knew the flash new bike offer would see the replies roll in lol. Nah seriously thank you all for taking the time to reply, it is brilliant of you. I am a Sith Warrior, level 17, The Progenitor. Crew skills I have heard of and just looked up. Seems I missed that trick oops. I am struggling just defeating bosses on my own. For example I'm getting torn apart by the beasts while trying to find runes on Dromund Kaas and got my *** handed to me on the first part of Nar Shaddaa. I'm only just starting to learn about key binding and am going to be investing in a decent mouse. Did warn you all NEWB Alert!!!. Plus I really like the whole RP aspect and am looking for info and friends to do this more. Hence I'm looking for a friendly, patient guild. :)

About Nar Shaddaa, you got the class quests for both Balmorra and NS at the same time. A trick is to always check the mission log and see what level the missions are. They are also color coded for additional convenience, so if your next mission is red you should probably level up a bit first (flashpoints and PvP are good when you are inbetween planets). Though you can only get XP for missions 6 levels below you, so don't level up too much before doing them.

Also, not sure which mission on Dromund Kaas you're referring to, but Heroic missions usually have a number in the title (2, 2+ or 4) which indicates number of players recommended. These take place in Heroic areas, so be careful not to accidentally wander into these places without a group.

Ah this is brilliant stuff from everyone on this thread. Just reading through. I chose marauder class and I will gen up on my crew skills. Biochem sounds good. Totally missed the colour coding and ended up way out of my league lol. Anyone know of a good guild?

I'm a Marauder too, and just started Nar Shaddaa. So far, the game has been too easy for my taste. I died once to a stupid lizard mother on Balmorra, but that was my own fault. Damn phone. :D So to give you a few tips:

GEAR

As a Marauder, you need tons of Strength and Endurance. Short version is strength makes you hit stuff really hard, and endurance gives you tons of hitpoints. More hitpoints means it takes longer to kill you. But as for what gear to pick, I usually stick to orange gear. The fun thing is orange gear doesn't have any stats at all. None. (well, a bit, perhaps, but nothing that matters.) Instead, you need to stick various mods in them. Simply hold down Ctrl and right-click on the gear, and you should get a list of free slots, or slots with mods in them. These mods can be upgraded by installing other mods, so you can keep improving the gear. Mods can be found in Mod Vendors, on the GTN or crafted with Cybertech or Artifice. (maybe others too, not sure.) Also, you should have at lest one orange lightsaber by now (you got one when you picked Marauder). This can be upgraded just like all the other orange gear, so keep that in mind.)

STRATEGY

My favorite strategy is to put skills with a short cooldown within easy reach, and skills I use a bit less frequent a bit further away. (the regular ones on the 1 - 5 keys, and the less used on Ctrl + 1 - 5). This lets you keep attacking enemies quickly, so they don't really get to fight back. But my three most important skills are Force Leap, Force Scream and the saber-throw. Forgot the name, sorry.

Force Leap is always my opener. It makes me jump to the enemy quickly, so he won't have a chance to shoot. Plus, the FL will stun him and his nearby friends a few precious seconds too, which can be very helpful. Force Scream does decent damage, but more important, it interrupts the enemies. (we do have a pure interrupt skill too, so use it. Trust me.) :) As for the saber-throw, it's a nice way to get an enemy's attention and do some damage when you are too close to jump, yet too far away to attack normally. In a tough fight, you'll need all the advantages you can get. ;)

CREW SKILLS

This depends a lot on your preference, so I suggest 'activating' each crew skill mentor by clicking them, then open the Codex (open mission log, then select Codex at the bottom). You can read about each crew skill here, as well as a lot of other nice things. It will help you decide what skill to focus on, and what add-on skills to go with it (artifice needs archeology, armorsmith needs scavenging etc.)

COMPANION

Last, there's Vette. Or whatever companion you prefer. I adore that girl, so I stick to her. But anyway, keep in mind the companion can be your best friend - if you keep him/her updated with gear and weapons. Also, while each class have two main stats to focus on (yours are strength and endurance, as I said), don't neglect Presence too much, either. It will make your companion stronger and better, which can be quite helpful in a fight. :)

Good luck!

It's already been said about Nar Shaddaa - you shouldn't be heading there until around level 20. As for the runes mission you mentioned that's a Heroic 2 mission which really requires at least one other player. Focus on content for your level and if it's heroic group up with other players. Quests are colour-coded by difficulty: Grey (trivial)-> Green (easy) -> Yellow (around your level) -> Orange (challenging, but still possible) -> Red (will be very difficult). As a general rule though just try and run with other players period - it will make everything easier and faster and you stand to get better loot too. :)

Hence I'm looking for a friendly, patient guild. :)

Since i am on the progenitor as well, i can say there is a number of very friendly guilds on this server. Just head over to the server forum and check the recruitment area. Pick the one you like.