So, did I do the right thing?

Technohic

Civil War, defending grass on my scrapper, actually answered a call for 1 inc that became 2. I stayed stealth and watched my teammate die. Mezzed and kept the 2 from capping while my teammate is complaining about me just standing there as he 1v2ed. Then did not come back because of that. I held the 2 off thinking he would be back, and a 3rd came when I realized he wasn't coming. 3 was too much.

Earlier in the match, I had done the same thing and eventually the 2 attackers, died as I waited until I saw my fresh teammate (different guy) come flying in fresh health when the 2 attackers had not had a chance to recover; so I don't know. Dude was pretty mad.

Edited by Technohic

You didn't really go into enough detail about the fight for me to make a judgement.on it.

If it was winnable, then you definitely should have jumped in.

What details would you like?

I really am curious on this as it is a matter of where the line is to where I should go fight or wait with the objective in mind. I didn't have a lot of time to study the situation but I never will. It's heat of the moment split second decision between jumping in fresh 2v2 or waiting it out. I know I was surprised he popped out of stealth to fight right away when we could have mezzed at least one, maybe make them blow a breaker. I just don't knw.

Novarre coast, defending grass on my scrapper, actually answered a call for 1 inc that became 2. I stayed stealth and watched my teammate die. Mezzed and kept the 2 from capping while my teammate is complaining about me just standing there as he 1v2ed. Then did not come back because of that. I held the 2 off thinking he would be back, and a 3rd came when I realized he wasn't coming. 3 was too much.

Earlier in the match, I had done the same thing and eventually the 2 attackers, died as I waited until I saw my fresh teammate (different guy) come flying in fresh health when the 2 attackers had not had a chance to recover; so I don't know. Dude was pretty mad.

Depends on the situation. If it was a no win scenario yes you did the right thing. But it sounds like you yourself held them off for a bit which leads me to think you may have been able to kill them... If he wasnt getting ***** I would fight...I mean worst case scenario...You open out of stealth on his target he dies before you kill that target, then you vanish, always call numbers so when 3 arrived i would have said 3 south or whatever, and you could have vanished to mes em n stuff. I dont know but it sounds like you did not do anything wrong but you may have been able to do more. Not trying to pick on ya....just from the information you have provided, that is the conclusion that I have come to.

I agree with the people that say you did fine. The objective isn't to kill them, it to keep your turrets and take theirs (despite what you hear otherwise :) ). You played for the objective, with the rest of the team in mind. I always think that's the right thing to do, even if the result is not perfect. How to go after those objectives is your call, knowing your toon, your capabilities, which cooldowns you have up (as you pointed out, no vanish up)), the situation at hand, etc. It's too bad your teammate thought he could second guess you on all that stuff, and then got "huffy" because of the way you played, and it's too bad he decided to take it personally - but I'd say that's not your fault.

'Course, I'm biased on this subject. Giving advice in chat is helpful. Abusing people because the don't play the "one right and true way to play" is arrogant and not helpful (IMHO). Plus I've had the same thing done to me few times - not the popping out of stealth version - but for not leaving a node defenseless to go help someone fighting off in the middle of the CW field. Or in HB, not stopping to help someone in a fight when the enemy ball carrier is on the other side of the field pushing for a score.

I was actually in the same (well not completely) situation as you: I was on my Sin alt, ACW, I was gonna ninja cap West and I noticed the Reps had 3 people guarding it. I was preparing to Ninja Cap it when, out of nowhere, a Marauder comes and starts fighting the three guards. I stay on the sidelines because there's no point in me joining the fight and dieng too, right?

Obviously the Marauder dies, and not long after I see he typed in Ops for everyone to kick me because 'I didn't do anything'. I mean seriously, he wants me to fight with him against three enemies which will lead to both our deaths?

Must've been one of those "screw tactics, let's just charge in and hope for the best" people.

Edited by Chlomamf

The game is not won by which team has the most kill/death ratio. It's all about objectives. I believe the OP took the correct decision.

In 2 vs 2, starting with everyone at 100%, the win/loss will be 50/50, depending on CD.

In the situation where the marauder dies in 2 vs 1, the opponent won't be at 100% anymore. The OP harass them while they try to cap, and when the marauder comes back, it'll be 2 people at 100% vs 2 people at less than 100%. The odds of winning is now much higher.

The more I think about it, I feel like I should have taken the gamble and went for the kill, but some more details I can think of are

It was sub-50 and I was level 30. not sure what my partner was, but the 2 attackers I believe were in their 40s.

Now that sounds like maybe I did the right thing, but we had been at the losing end all match and that was the sole node we had the entire match. The 2 attackers had tried multiple times to take it for the 3 cap, and I was there to stop them most of those times. We did take mid as the 3rd attacker showed up to overwhelm me that last time in question, but the game ended pretty handily in their favor within maybe 30 seconds of that.

So, after I slept on it, maybe I should have taken a loser attitude with the objective at that point and rolled the dice and error on the side of helping my teammate.

If your survival is not absolutely assured, you shouldn't jump into things. You did the right thing and played the objective. Your teammate was the one who did the wrong thing by being too butthurt to reinforce you and finish off the other imps.

It all depends on a situation, but from what you said I think you did the right thing. Saving your teammate arse is not priority as he doesn't lose anything from his death. Your priority is to prevent people from taking/completing the objective.

This. We're not playing TDMs. Sucks to not back up teammates in trouble, but point is to win match.

There's a time to use stealth advantageously for team objectives, and a time to join the fray. Since there are plenty of stealths who screw off or use the ability stupidly, and players who observe this and/or don't understand how helpful stealth is when teammates use it well, don't expect everyone to appreciate when you use it smartly.

Alderaan example: Each team has a side node, we're playing better than the other team and everyone wants to focus mid but we just can't cap it. It's safe to solo stealth attack their capped node and pull respawns that way so the rest of team can get mid. I tell the team then do it. Success! We cap mid, then some cheesenuts in ops chat "duhhh why u go side we needed everyone mid you #$%^$&$**^ ^&%*^*^%*!!!! We got it anyway while you're soloing l2p ^&%$&%$*^*^(&!!!!

tl;dr? - Stealth, when used intelligently is a force multiplier and makes a difference. IQ and emotional maturity aren't prerequisites for playing, so some people who won't get it.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I would have stunned one and focused the other. Once they started winning the battle against your lone teammate they may have made the call that there was only one guard. That may have been what sent number 3 over.

If you would have focused one down and started on the second you may have deterred the third one from coming over.

I would have stunned one and focused the other. Once they started winning the battle against your lone teammate they may have made the call that there was only one guard. That may have been what sent number 3 over.

If you would have focused one down and started on the second you may have deterred the third one from coming over.

Well; now that you mention it, the 3rd was an assassin and I am pretty sure the attackers had an idea I might be around as I had been fending them off a few times before earlier in the match. For all I know, that assassin could have been lurking nearby waiting for me to unstealth, and we would have had a 3 on 2 if that was the case.

More than one way to skin a cat. If you successfully defended the objective, you did it right :)

I did for a while, but it ultimately was lost. There was plenty of time for my teammate to have returned by then; whether we would have held or not had he done so is anyones guess. It is why I have doubts and didn't just ignore the complaints of me just standing there, and that being why I was toward the bottom of the scoreboard for damage.

The only other stealth I played in this game was an assassin back toward the beginning, and I was a darkness one, so I did not hide in stealth much at all like I do as a scrapper, where I find myself being more tactical and less going into the fight. I do a lot of observing and picking my battles so I wonder if I did it too much. As I level this toon, and plan to make it my republic main for PvP, I want to make sure I evaluate about every thing I do, and am helping my team to the best of my ability.

I want to make sure I evaluate about every thing I do, and am helping my team to the best of my ability.

<joke>

What's with all this "thinking" stuff? Do you realize what game you are playing? Calculating how best to use your abilities to help your team? Who does that!? You are supposed to just run in, focusing down on one guy, following him all over the map if you have to, while ignoring the other one that's capping, and then complain in chat about how you lost that node because the other guy couldn't take out "his" opponent. You took out yours, right? Must be his fault. Stop all this thinking about how to help the team, it just gets in the way of your dps and kill count.

</joke>

P.S. Once had someone call out to kick me for being AFK because he turned around and saw me in stealth helping to guard west in CW. Thing is, I had *just* entered stealth after helping him fight off 2 attackers at the node, guarding him, taunting, stunning, throwing little rocks at the red guys. I don't know how he didn't notice the big blue bubble around him syphoning off damage to me. Maybe some people just have it in for stealthers, because they can't do it. Stealth envy? :)

Every WZ is situational.... if you felt that you could hold the node longer by staying in stealth because you didn't feel as if the 2 of you could win the fight. Then yes... you did the right thing. Simple as that...

The longer you're holding the node the better. The better stealth players in this game are good at stringing people along and delaying caps for excessive amounts of time. It's not always about killing a target. I always LOL when a stealther jumps out of stealth and attacks me immediately when I go after a node solo. It's pretty much an express ticket for me to cap the node. That guys pretty much always gonna die before help gets there.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Ugly is right they are situational, but I wouldnt sweat it, the fact you actually have a thought out tattic and at least try to defend the objectives puts you light years ahead of the crowd. So if you thought it was the right thing to do, then i'll bet it was. Edited by Philastra

Novarre coast, defending grass on my scrapper, actually answered a call for 1 inc that became 2. I stayed stealth and watched my teammate die. Mezzed and kept the 2 from capping while my teammate is complaining about me just standing there as he 1v2ed. Then did not come back because of that. I held the 2 off thinking he would be back, and a 3rd came when I realized he wasn't coming. 3 was too much.

mmm...There are a few different type of Scoundrel players (assuming your dps). If your confident in your ability the correct answer should have been ganking the initial attacker, as you stated the 2nd lagged into the encounter. If you lack confidence (skill and knowledge) then sitting in stealth and watching (while waiting for cooldowns) would be the correct response.

I don't want that response to sound demeaning if it comes across that way, scoundrel dps is burst and unexpected, not understanding how to burst a target correctly or reacting to additional opponents regardless of cooldowns is something that is learned.

I understand you are level 30, and the opponents were 40ish. Assuming that someone will beat you just based on level isn't always true, unless you have prior knowledge of engaging them to understand how they play and well you already know how good you are in general against most classes.

I should clarify on the call of 1 inc and then 2. It wasn't that the first one was engaged when the 2nd showed up. The 1st one was visibly approaching, then a 2nd was spotted right after. Following maybe 20m behind, before any engagement.

Not to justify what I did or didn't do. I suppose it is other opportunities maybe that I could have gone out and mezzed one of the attackers before they got in range. I think I feel I could have done something differently, just not sure I would next time. Like has been said, I could see it being very situational. I just wil have to get a feel for when to hold them and when to fold them.

Thinking about it, and getting in line with the mindset I usually see; I should blame the rest of the team. 2 of us at the node, and they presumably have at least 1 guarding snow along with 2-3 attacking grass, that is 4 or 5 defending mid. *** were those other 6 guys on our team doing? :p

Edited by Technohic

As has been mentioned there really is no single right answer, it falls to the situation and array of events at hand. If you felt the odds were not on your side's favor to where it was <50% of the two of you coming out ahead in the fight, then I'd say you did the right thing.

If you felt it was close to a 50/50 shot then its a judgement call. I'd probably have opened up to join the fight personally, but cannot fault you for being cautious.

I would (not sure if you did) say in chat (since you'd have a few seconds while waiting in stealth) what you are planning so you pre-emptively tell your intentions. He'd still likely be irked, but up front reasoning that way sounds better then after-the-fact that some people take as just coming up with a reasoning to sound better.

That said if you were holding a single node the whole match and things were going poorly I'd probably also be more inclined to gamble then play it safe I think, if I'm gonna lose might as well go down swingin'.