life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

Why the life day items are in the cartel market and not in a festival i will never know, its a cheap money grab to something that should of been put in the game as content. I beg people to vote with there wallets and not buy this life day stuff in hopes that bioware realise this should of been event and they need to stop being lazy.

Although I like the idea of the Cartel Market, I have to agree with you here. In every other MMO I've played, "holiday gifts" were either just given out, or "found" around game as treasure chests. We shouldn't have to pay real money for little "holiday gimmes". They should be a gift from EA to its loyal players.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was simply trying to clear up what has now been demonstrated to have been a large exaggeration, invented solely for the purpose of trolling, that was taking this thread off topic.

On topic... did none of you guys actually watch the Holiday Special???? Are you...really sure that you want a Life Day event that isn't confined to the shop? Have you really blocked the cooking show from your minds so quickly?

I want new content, even if its some crappy event. At least to show they are actually producing something since all we got till now was done long ago.

@OP

I take it you haven't watched Star Wars Chrismas special. Everything, they are doing in this game for Life Day, is in the spirit of that Special.

Which is to say, "we will pee on everything you eat."

$24 Life Day packs is a perfect way for BW to justify to their bosses why EA should never, ever make them do anything like that again. (I hope.)

A petition is rallying others in an attempt to share your view, which is exactly what your original post was doing.

What difference does it make to you if someone wishes to purchase these grade 7 items? Does it affect your gaming experience? No, it doesn't. If they had sold PVP items they were even remotely linked with "Pay 2 Win" then I would agree with you.

If any game releases DLC, you pay for it. As I see it, this works in the same way. I don't have any interest in space missions, so I won't be buying it/them. If they decide to release PVE-related content which I have to buy in order to play, then so be it. I wouldn't dream of coming onto the forums and complaining about it. They have to make a profit, otherwise they'll be forced to close the game and then what? Heaven forbid...

actually

Noun

A formal written request, typically one signed by many people, appealing to authority with respect to a particular cause.

Verb

Make or present a formal request to (an authority) with respect to a particular cause.

This isnt a formal written request asking other players to sign it. So no it isnt a petition.

You know some people just don't like the commercialization of holidays. Yes it happens everywhere and we get to deal with it but it does not mean we have to like or support it.

I don't know about anyone else but to me holidays are about being with family and friends not spending stupid amounts of money on stuff.

I found it disgusting when stores here starting putting out Christmas crap in late August and I find the Cartel stuff for the holidays equally disgusting. As such I won't be buying any of it.

If others want to that is their option.

Other games I play (even ones with stores have holiday events where people can EARN the holiday stuff. That I can deal with but this blatant money grab is just silly.

I can't really understand how they thought they would get away with it.

It's not just the cash grab itself, its the sheer price of the times (2400CC per character - or 4 months worth of subscription coins per character).

If it was a 1/4 of that they'd probably had sold the same amount in total, but not honked off vast numbers of thier subscriber base. :mad:

Holidays:

-loot needs to be available in the Cartel Shop for people who wanna spend their money. (Which it is, good for them)

-loot needs to be available via in-game play as part of a holiday event for those of us that actually wanna earn it. (Which it is not, bad for us)

I don't care if people wanna spend the money in Cartel Shop, more power to them. But as long as BW implements an in-game holiday for people like me to obtain these items the way i'm meant to (EARNING IT), then my immersion wouldn't be busted over it. :)

Regular cartel market item packs aren't available for a "limited duration". I don't begrudge them adding new stuff. I do, however, slightly resent them adding new stuff that requires subscribers to pay extra for, in addition to said subscription, by simple virtue of the fact that we weren't told in advance and there isn't enough time to save up via the monthly stipend.

Well, what would be the best way to avoid that if there are new packs coming in each month? Should there be a page with new items that are coming in the following months and their suggested prices? Hm.. prehaps that could be connected to voting which items the players in SWTOR would most like to see.

I burnt a few coins now, with my luck they will add something spectacular in January that I would have liked to buy if I had saved them. I don't know, both we players and SWTOR will have to try to figure out how to deal with these things. Since we do know that new packs will come up with until now unknown contents.

Do we feel that there should be some prior information on those items. I am not a 100% sure I would like that in fact, it would feel too much like commercials, "Next week, coming up in the Cartel Store near you. Leia's bathrobe". This is just my opinion but I prefer just to get the things I like from GTN. That's how I usually do it, 2-3 packs for fun and then I'm done. I'll buy the things I really like from GTN from someone who was luckier with the drops or had more money than me. We will just have to see how it works out.

Edited by SilentKitty

Although I typically subscribe, I've played a couple of games with the F2P option, most notably LoTRO and DCUO (where I have pretty much been since its launch). The way EA is handling this cash shop is really disturbing.

As of right now, EA managed to convince me not to renew my subscription on December 24th. Now, I'm not about to play this gutted F2P version, so SWTOR goes back onto the shelf. I'll keep an eye on it through the first portion of 2013, but at this stage I don't know that I will ever return to this game as I don't see EA handling the cash shop any differently.

Although I like the idea of the Cartel Market, I have to agree with you here. In every other MMO I've played, "holiday gifts" were either just given out, or "found" around game as treasure chests. We shouldn't have to pay real money for little "holiday gimmes". They should be a gift from EA to its loyal players.

I dont mind some life day items being made avaiable in the cartel market that cant be obtained in a event. But if your reckonising there is a lifeday in the lore (which they are and there is) then there would be events that originated in Kashyyk in the game as there is wookies on the likes of correlia etc. there would be events somewhere, if they want there 1200cc speeder in the store so be it, it doesnt look that great anyway but have some event to go with it.

IT's all good. I don't want to grind out thousands of comms for the space stuff, glad it's on the cartel. And it's great the cartel stuff provides the Life Day stuff, better than sitting around in a big group waiting to die in some stupid event (hi rakghoul plague!).

Great additions, can't wait to top up my cartel coins.

GG Bioware :)

And this... is why they fail....

What really rustles my jimmies is the fact that the speeders are, once again, just a recolored version of what we already have.

At least when Blizzard puts in their wing lion mounts for an obscene price they have the common decency to put a bit more work in and provide something somewhat unique, not just dip an existing mount into red paint. :rolleyes:

Well, what would be the best way to avoid that if there are new packs coming in each month? Should there be a page with new items that are coming in the following months and their suggested prices? Hm.. prehaps that could be connected to voting which items the players in SWTOR would most like to see.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge that, but like I said, it's not the new pack I'm slightly annoyed over. It's the life day, presumably-once-a-year items they've added.

A "heads up, we're going to be adding this stuff so maybe don't just blow your monthly coins on item packs for the sake of it" when f2p hit wouldn't have hurt.

The Cashshop isn't inherently evil.

:csw_yoda:Much like the Force its what you DO with it that makes that choice. :csw_yoda:

This "side" of the Cashshop is what a lot of people feared with F2P. :(

hear hear, let the jobless paupers cry all they like long may stuff I can just buy be around especially stuff like space unlocks for those rare occasions I want to do space content. Anything where money can compensate for time I'm fine with,

Although BW fixing the issues stopping 100s of us that made a lot of purchases from buying more should be top priority.

Wait . . . what?

Sorry, buddy, I own my own RPG publishing company with distribution in 9 countries. Money is not the issue, the path EA has taken with their cash shop heading into P2W territory is. They want it both ways, subscription + P2W, and at this point they lose my subscription and get nothing out of me for the Cartel Market.

It has zero to do with cost, and everything to do with principle.

Edited by Jumajin

Pretty much in line with the amount I spent on gems in GW2 to buy the halloween outfits. Nothing new to be seen here honestly.

The big difference is that with GW2 there were also decorations, treat bags that were free in game. It wasn't just a money grab. Cash shop was part of the holiday, but not the only part.

Are there decorations somewhere for Life Day? Is there anything about the Holiay at all that isn't cash only (besides buying someones hand me downs from the GTN)?

What really rustles my jimmies is the fact that the speeders are, once again, just a recolored version of what we already have.

At least when Blizzard puts in their wing lion mounts for an obscene price they have the common decency to put a bit more work in and provide something somewhat unique, not just dip an existing mount into red paint. :rolleyes:

Oy! 'avent ye heard? Red wuns go fasta!

Regular cartel market item packs aren't available for a "limited duration". I don't begrudge them adding new stuff. I do, however, slightly resent them adding new stuff that requires subscribers to pay extra for, in addition to said subscription, by simple virtue of the fact that we weren't told in advance and there isn't enough time to save up via the monthly stipend.

This makes me thing it is a planned "sting", some one in Bioware EAs new F2P division (the one they were hiring "people with experience in moneterising F2P models" for) knew EXACTLY what they were doing with this.

It's purely intentional to get people to HAVE to spend more cash.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge that, but like I said, it's not the new pack I'm slightly annoyed over. It's the life day, presumably-once-a-year items they've added.

A "heads up, we're going to be adding this stuff so maybe don't just blow your monthly coins on item packs for the sake of it" when f2p hit wouldn't have hurt.

Hmm.. it depends on how they do it. I would be very very irritated if we had any form of in-game commercials of items that were going to end up in the store later on. I do not want that in any way, shape or form. But I could live with a page on the forum with items coming up later on.

Hmm... the robes are not important to me, but it looks like they really are important to you. Hope you will be able to get them on GTN or something like that :)

You have to do the Ascendancy Barrier daily 25 times to get ONE level 7 item. It's pretty telling that they put the level 7 stuff on the cartel market straight away. It's clear they don't want you to really go out and grind for all those parts. Space missions should be a fun minigame you do while you wait for your group finder to proc or you do in between planets, not a crushing grind.

As a subscriber, I'm supposed to have full access to space missions. This is a pay gate.

Edited by notalkjustrock

The items are pretty poor, and the mount especially is even more thinly veiled "Christmas" than the rest of Life Day, literally they couldn't have made that any more Christmas cheese except by having Rudolph pull it. :eek:

I agree, and it is also really silly looking.

That is a shift I am seeing. A move to Party Jawas and speeders festooned with what look like christmas lights from a suburban home. I expect to see a charactor named Clark from the Griswald legacy riding by me. Not the Star Wars experience I have been enjoying so far.