Mouseover Healing

Malicity

so let me get this right... after 3 years SWTOR still doesn't offer any mouse-over healing without the player using 3rd party tools and/or gaming hardware?

Found this thread after googling how to setup Mouseover macros. Can't believe there is no such thing in the game.. That may be a game breaker for me.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope they never add the ability to use 3rd party tools or mouseover healing. One of the major things SWTOR has over WoW or Rift is that you CAN'T use macros/moseover/etc. It prevents raids from being so mind numbingly boring that you can blindly smash your macros and feel 'l33t' about clearing difficult content.

Mouseover healing is to regular healing as Kuat Drive Yards is to regular grouped content. Both need to be out of the game for good.

It's obvious you have never setup mouseover macro's in any game, and do not even know how they function.. Stop being a fanboi and move along if you don't know what you are talking about..

It's obvious you have never setup mouseover macro's in any game, and do not even know how they function.. Stop being a fanboi and move along if you don't know what you are talking about..

I used mouseover healing in WoW for a long time. I absolutely hate macros of any kind (including mouseover). All they do is let people beat hard content without having to work hard. It lets people feel 'l33t' without any work going into it. I repeat: mouseover healing (and macros in general) do nothing but let bad players feel like they are good.

Stop whining about not having macros and get better at the game.

I used mouseover healing in WoW for a long time. I absolutely hate macros of any kind (including mouseover). All they do is let people beat hard content without having to work hard. It lets people feel 'l33t' without any work going into it. I repeat: mouseover healing (and macros in general) do nothing but let bad players feel like they are good.

So let me get this straight. Because you suck as a healer you want everyone else to suck too? Strange logic that is....

• 3 weeks later...
So let me get this straight. Because you suck as a healer you want everyone else to suck too? Strange logic that is....

Actually I think the argument would be more like: If you suck so bad that you can't heal a raid without mouseover then you really need to find another game. Oh no, you have to click to target, big deal. Click, heal, click, heal, click heal. Too complicated for ya?

Edit: Would like to add that I do personally think that mouseover healing is a useful function, but that's it. Useful, not ZOMGZ MUST HAVE!!!!! function. And most certainly not useful enough for a 36 page whinefest thread about it not being in the game.

Edited by Devilzownz

Actually I think the argument would be more like: If you suck so bad that you can't heal a raid without mouseover then you really need to find another game. Oh no, you have to click to target, big deal. Click, heal, click, heal, click heal. Too complicated for ya?

I'll be honest, when I started playing this game - after having played WoW with addons and macros - I was worried about healing without them. I went so far as to create a tank as my first character on SWTOR. but my second character was a healer and it was not as hard as I thought it would be. In fact I now have one of each healer type: scoundrel/operative, sage/sorcerer, commando/mercenary (the bold is what I actually have).

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read all of this (obviously.. its over 30 pages long and been here for 3 years now...)

But, I myself am nearly ONLY a healer in TOR (I do tank a bit but i despise DPSing, and mostly run a tank to get the other POV.. tank - heal heal-tank...) and I've also played WoW for a long time, as well as trying countless other MMOs and such. In one brief sentence...

Mouse-over healing would just be way way to damn easy...

I'm not a bad healer, i may not be the best, but.. i'de like to thing im up there on my healers... I played WoW as a healer and never once used mouse over or much of ANY macros honestly... I used healbot which is close to mouse-over, still don't have to target and THEN hit your heal.. simply click and heal. It makes it far to easy in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE that TOR doesn't allow this. It makes the healers who are doing current level content (as in, they're gear is right where it should be for this op/fp, not a 180 geared heal in a lvl 50 fp...) have to be much faster with reactions, plan out the fights a bit ahead of time, and be very precise with what they are doing. It takes like, idk, 0.05-0.25 s to recognize damage, target the player and THEN hit your heal, all the while you should already be looking for more damage for your next heal or couple heals ahead... I am playing two steps ahead every time i heal a HM op.. Then on top of all that you still need to have good raid awareness, staying out of stupid etc etc.. You need to understand the debuffs that are happening so you know what healing someone will need (such as bestia's tank debuff in HM DP.. if a tank is coming up over 5 stacks they will take massive damage.. so you need to be ready with big heals for them..)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to read what he said, tried to understand it, and then still get it completely wrong. I'm fairly certain what he said is that mouse over macros are a crutch for bad healers... how did you not get that? The whole point of a macro is to automate something to make it take less effort, how is that conducive to making a good player? You might as well just automate everything and let the game play itself if your belief is that macros make a player good.

• 5 years later...
The only thing a mouseover macro does is remove 1 tedious input. Click, it's not needed and is just that tedious, macros on the other hand only serves as a way to clean your bars with the fact you can modify what ability you cast with [CTRL,SHIFT,ALT] so in no way does there to make the game "easier" than not using them, just the input total for a task less.