View Single Post

brittishcoal
05.30.2019 , 08:31 PM | #16
Thanks for the stream guys.

The amplifiers are the one thing I really wanted to give my feedback on. Perhaps there just isn't enough info on how these work, but I'm a little confused as to the role amplifiers play in the gearing ecosystem. Tacticals seem to play a role of defining your playstyle, set bonuses maybe less so but still can modify your abilities, mods "uninteresingly" change your stats (more item rating, more damage). So where do amplifiers come in. From the sound of it, they simply sound like increased damage, survivability, etc. I'm not clear what they provide that mods don't. It seems like amplifiers provide the same sort of effect, only with less of an impact.

The main difference I see is they are locked behind a further wall of RNG. While mods have fairly simple RNG (gear will randomly drop approximately higher than around your gear level), the RNG on amplifiers sounds more random as there are more options (healing etc.) Furthermore, the RNG will be behind a credit sink for rerolls.

Personally, I'm not a fan of tying gearing into the economy (so I'm also a little frustrated with augments, but that's a whole other thing), but I see this as an even bigger problem with an added RNG element, which I believe will lead to frustration.

TLDR; Is the reward of amplifiers adding anything interesting to the game that isn't already there? And is the added frustration of RNG worth that reward?