life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

How can people justify this? It seems no matter what EA/BW does, some blind fanboys still have the "big deal.. if you don't what to spend real money then don't" attitude.

Because that's just the way it is. How can people keep on making more out of this than what we've already seen in MMO's for years and years?

Roughly 8 years ago, when more and more MMO's started charging for character name changes, it was the same story. Previously? It was common to have ingame items which allowed for a name change, which allowed for a character looks change, etc. Slowly, that phased in towards "services".

Currently, many people find it acceptable to pay for server transfer, name changes, etc.

Whilst in reality, that's all coming down from the same sort of initial history.

Cosmetic items are now just a form of history repeating itself. It's not going to change. Heck, it's not like it really matters anyway. Just like as to how with names I simply stick to one, and in terms of a server I simply stick to a single server, I really can't be fussed over whether to use certain cosmetics or not either. Do I want to have that unique look? Fine, I'll just use up some of my saved up cartel coins or buy it on the GTN. Otherwise? I'll just let it be there.

The game plays perfectly fine that way, I'm not being forced to pay anything beyond my subscription to actually play the content so.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering cancelling my sub because of this. Subscribers have to pay for this rubbish it should at leat be an event, bioware this is totally insulting to your subscriber base, the people who ok'd this are not fit to make decicions on the game they are managing.

The life day stuff on the market:-

Look rubbish.

Are expensive.

Have no imagination with regards to the starwars universe.

Are a total joke.

They must be joking with this garbage....they must be... :eek:

Not sure why none of this stuff wasn't an event. GW2 just launched it's holiday event and I must say it is a blast! I'm loving it.. sad to say I won't be on tor much these next two weeks.

I don't even like Guild Wars 2 that much, but man is their holiday event fun.

...And free of additional charge. Sure, they have some holiday items available in the cash shop, as is to be expected, but they also (pay attention, BioWare) have a bunch of items that are going to be attainable in the game. Random "gift boxes" drop all over the world which contain what amounts to tokens, exchangeable for items that we haven't seen yet. Competing in their holiday events (jumping puzzles, giant snowball fights, etc.) also awards these tokens.

The point is, they offered a bunch of stuff to their customers without charging extra for it. When they do that, it doesn't matter that they also put items in the cash shop, because the player feels appreciated. The cash shop stuff is just the extras tacked on to the free event, instead of taking center stage as the only things being offered.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

This is the first holiday "event"/thing/whatever i've ever seen in an MMO that actually encouraged a lot of people to cancel their sub.

Good job Bioware, phenomenal work.

This literally made me laugh out loud...God I almost spit soda everywhere. Good job sir, good job. Someone call Guiness for BW though and tell them of their first ever.

This is the first holiday "event"/thing/whatever i've ever seen in an MMO that actually encouraged a lot of people to cancel their sub.

I was thinking same thing. Then i started to think that they maybe want to scare subscribers off totally and only get people playing this game who are stupid enough to spend tons of money without getting montly sub ever.

There is no explanation at all for charging everyone even subscribers to enjoy 1 year anniversary and it hapens to be close to christmas aswell. Mind boggling i never ever seen any MMO not giving anything meaningful to loyal players when it comes to 1 year celebrations or christmas. Even those f2p model based games have at least christmas quests to collect fun items if there are no events.

Still mind boggling how its done in this game. It really feels there is no common sense left in Bioware office (i know its mostly EA now) and only seeks to squeeze as much money they can now.

Edited by Divona

Perfectly said. It would be hysterically funny if only it weren't so blantantly true.

I am considering cancelling my sub because of this. Subscribers have to pay for this rubbish it should at leat be an event, bioware this is totally insulting to your subscriber base, the people who ok'd this are not fit to make decicions on the game they are managing.

The life day stuff on the market:-

Look rubbish.

Are expensive.

Have no imagination with regards to the starwars universe.

Are a total joke.

They must be joking with this garbage....they must be... :eek:

You're going to unsub over some crappy holiday cosmetic items? Lol...okay, buddy.

This !!!!

A huge slap in the face for them to hide their tracks and never mention on how BW stated that there would be in-game means to get this items....then to tell us, there is no event, etc....have a nice day! :(:mad:

I seriously can't believe all the people claiming they're cancelling because of an addition that has 0 effect on actual game play.

MMOers, man....just wow.

Cancelling....i don't think so, just dramatizing and whining too much.

Personally i don't mind these items at all mostly because i really don't like them, the speeder is hilarious to say the least, the tree is maybe the only cool thing for me.

Even if we could obtain these items via some event i really wouldn't bother, again because aside that holo tree the rest is not worth it in my opinion.

Cancelling....i don't think so, just dramatizing and whining too much.

Personally i don't mind these items at all mostly because i really don't like them, the speeder is hilarious to say the least, the tree is maybe the only cool thing for me.

Even if we could obtain these items via some event i really wouldn't bother, again because aside that holo tree the rest is not worth it in my opinion.

They're upset only because they're holiday items. If the new items were just new appearance items, a new speeder, and a new random holo that weren't "Life Day" themed, they wouldn't be complaining.

I mean...sorry that they didn't do a Christmas live event. Sucks if you wanted one. But unsubbing...even being "offended" by what they did is just asinine.

Edited by dougan

I seriously can't believe all the people claiming they're cancelling because of an addition that has 0 effect on actual game play.

MMOers, man....just wow.

Its not because of the Life Day items themselves in particular, its about the whole way BioWare is going about doing its business with obvious money grabs.

Im going to renew my sub for 3 months instead of my usual 6 months and Im giving BioWare 3 months to get their **** in order.

Sure my sub might not mean much and neither will my already existing boycott of EA but its better than doing nothing :)

They're upset only because they're holiday items. If the new items were just new appearance items, a new speeder, and a new random holo that weren't "Life Day" themed, they wouldn't be complaining.

I mean...sorry that they didn't do a Christmas live event. Sucks if you wanted one. But unsubbing...even being "offended" by what they did is just asinine.

I unsubbed because it is demonstrative of the new direction of the game. Pre-release, Daniel Erickson stated that there were plans for holiday events, but not for real world holidays - only Star Wars holidays would be celebrated, with no allusions to the real world.

What did we get? Cartel Shop content developed in lieu of a previously intended event, and disrespect shown to the IP and the game itself by having real world references, even if it's relabeled as Life Day. Sorry, but tinsel, Christmas lights and snow have nothing to do with Life Day.

The Cartel Shop has demonstrably become the focus of the game. If you're fine with that, good for you. But a lot aren't. Yes, it would be petty if someone unsubscribed because of this patch in isolation. No, it isn't asinine to unsubscribe because of the context of the event and the new direction it establishes.

I unsubbed because it is demonstrative of the new direction of the game. Pre-release, Daniel Erickson stated that there were plans for holiday events, but not for real world holidays - only Star Wars holidays would be celebrated, with no allusions to the real world.

What did we get? Cartel Shop content developed in lieu of a previously intended event, and disrespect shown to the IP and the game itself by having real world references, even if it's relabeled as Life Day. Sorry, but tinsel, Christmas lights and snow have nothing to do with Life Day.

The Cartel Shop has demonstrably become the focus of the game. If you're fine with that, good for you. But a lot aren't. Yes, it would be petty if someone unsubscribed because of this patch in isolation. No, it isn't asinine to unsubscribe because of the context of the event and the new direction it establishes.

Lol, it took people this long to realize that? There is a massive list of things BW assured us about pre-release that never made it into the game. People don't realize that BW lost literally millions on this game and the remaining budget is miniscule. The layoffs alone will limit the new content for this game--forever. They will continue to give us as little as possible while asking as much as possible from us.

But, I think there are multiple conversations going on in this thread. People like you are observing the bigger picture...and I completely agree with you on most points. Others are simply crying that they can't get their cosmetics and threatening to unsub if they don't get what they want.

Edited by dougan

I have no problem with the cartel market items. If someone wants them and they want to spend money on them, totally fine by me. But I'm really disappointed that there is no event whatsoever, nothing at all. Which is why selling special life day items seems like a very cheap method to make quick bucks.

I really hope that we do get an event on or after Christmas, after all.. and they uh.. plan to surprise us... or.. something... yeah, not likely at all because if they would have announced it they could have prevented the **** storm in the forum. But one still can hope, right?

Well i love swtor but I have to say this makes me mad. This is the first mmo that I have ever played that makes you pay to enjoy holiday fun. There should really be quests to get these items at least for subs. This is a big fat fail imo bioware.

Could not agree more OP. I have played all of the AAA MMO's over the years, and this is just fail on so many levels. First they slap us in the face with the fireworks "gift" as a show of "appreciation" for a first year anniversary, then they make Life Day a Cartel Market Event.

Seriously, with SWTOR, the hits just keep coming. I really thought the new people that was hired on would change things, their blog post certaintly implied they would. I guess not.

They just need to put the majority of us out of ours, and theirs, misery and pull-the-plug on this mess. I love Star Wars, it's the only reason I'm still here. As bad as it is, there just isn't another option.

Do me, and so many others, a favor EA -- Kill this game!

Edited by Klarick

you mean being offended by bioware austin for putting no effort in to this game and giving subscribers the middle finger by not giving them a anniversary / making life day a cash grab :rolleyes:

Edited by Vis-Tecum

This is the first MMO I can remember that requires players to make cash purchases in order to import holiday cheer into the game world. Suffice it to say, given the industry standards, SWTOR will be remembered as a game that does not do holiday celebrations. Edited by Sanctioned