What’s New in Season Two

CourtneyWoods

I was Interested by this so here are the counts for each class that made it into the top tier. The leaderboard only shows the current rating rather than the top they earned so a few more people probably made it to than listed here.

From solo ranked:

• Guardian / Jugg 123
  • Setinel / Marauder 271
  • Shadow / Sin 232
  • Sage / Sorc 200
  • Vanguard / Powertech 294
  • Commando / Merc 97
  • Gunslinger / Sniper 52 :eek:
  • Scoundrel / Operative 218

Thanks for looking after it. This shows the imbalance even more than I expected.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! Allow me to impart clarification on this part of the blog :D

The reward will be given to the Top 3 of each Advanced Class of the entire Ranked population. NOT per server.

8 Advanced Classes per Faction * 2 Factions * Top 3 players * 2 Gamemodes (Ranked and Solo) = 96 rewarded players

Hope that helps make sense of the situation! :tran_cool:

Yep, thank you!

The reward will be given to the Top 3 of each Advanced Class of the entire Ranked population. NOT per server.

8 Advanced Classes per Faction * 2 Factions * Top 3 players * 2 Gamemodes (Ranked and Solo) = 96 rewarded players

So you basically cut out most of the PvE server, where doing ranked is impossible because no one do it.

Thanks.

Top 3 for each class actually discourages playing where it is most competitive. The people in the top 3 will most like be on a server where the competition is very spread out and one team is dominating.
The problem with that is that the PvE servers have much slower queue times, assuming that they pop at all. Edited by MidichIorian

So ranked sports games is the future of PvP in SWTOR.

It looks like the dev team is trying to encourage people to PvP by offering rewards every three months while at the same time reducing it to the most mundane mini-game possible. In a galaxy in the middle of a war the galaxies elite play hutt ball.

PvE is offering raids on the opposing factions temples while PvP offers the opportunity to die for a hutts amusement. Can't say PvP is feeling like a valid concern as far as the rest of the Star Wars Galaxy goes.

So ranked sports games is the future of PvP in SWTOR.

It looks like the dev team is trying to encourage people to PvP by offering rewards every three months while at the same time reducing it to the most mundane mini-game possible. In a galaxy in the middle of a war the galaxies elite play hutt ball.

PvE is offering raids on the opposing factions temples while PvP offers the opportunity to die for a hutts amusement. Can't say PvP is feeling like a valid concern as far as the rest of the Star Wars Galaxy goes.

There is no huttball in ranked, only arenas...

It's a cesspit because there are no replies from the mods, whatsoever. The only topics they reply in is those they make themselves.

Nice circle reasoning. Not sure if there's much to reply on in the PvP forums because its a cesspit ;-). What do you want them to say in there? I try to avoid the PvP forums like the plague from my part. Just to much qq in there which will make me tick and write unnecessary posts to like this.

Also .... why do feel the need of a reply? You (should) know full well they read it. As they are doing with the rest of the forum too. I'm already seeing enough golden taits post about that he is sending the info to the teams.

Nice to now have ranked quests to pick up. But I still think there should be more incentive to play ranked matches. I hate standing around forever waiting for a rank pop that is never going to come because I can't tell if other players are queuing or not.

So I thought of a basic idea to funnel players into ranked matches... let me know if it's a good idea or not.

There should be at certain points in the day, for like 2-3 hours each, ranked rewards bonuses. So, for example, if you play a ranked match between 4-6pm, you earn 10% extra commendations (win or lose). These hours would happen multiple times in a day... like 4-5 times spread throughout the day.

I think that this would incentivise players to play ranked during these times that way you know when you're more likely to be getting ranked match pops. You'd still be able to queue at any time in the day, but queuing during the specified bonus hours would likely increase the probability that you'll get into a match since it's likely more people will queue during those times.

Changes coming to Ranked PvP in Season Two! Shorter seasons, quicker rewards, and more brutal action!

Please keep this discussion around the changes coming to PvP Season Two. If you wish to talk about what you would like to see for rewards, please post in this thread. :jawa_angel:

Read More

First of all cross-server pvp and then peeps with ranked gear can't fight peeps that do not have ranked gear.

Coz the way it is now it is virtualy impossible to gear up, and for that you deserve to get a very bad word into your faces since you kill the game, slowly - but your getting there and then nobody cares anymore for SWTOR.

Ciao

"We are happy to announce the creation of a daily and weekly quest that will provide you with extra incentive to queue up and dominate - in both Solo and Group flavors!"

This will make life interesting. As if we don't have enough people without gear or augments already.

So how exactly is this going to be fair when we cannot compete with everyone in the player pool? If this was per server it would make a little more sense, (and would still be a great accomplishment to be in the top 3 on your server) but to compare us to players that we cannot compete against isn't right. We should be compared to who we can play against and those people only, not players from other servers who we will never play against.

This is crap without cross server PvP, either make it per server or give us cross server PvP!

This is a very bad call on your part BW. Server pop and type is going to have an effect that some servers cannot over come.

Also, i really do think we need a valor level cap to participate in ranked play to limit the effect new 55's have on solo Que and solo rating. Nothing crazy but something that will ensure they have some PvP gear IE Obroan gear and not hurt their team.

This may place a bit of strain on the Que at 1st but i am OK with that. I am not OK with under geared players killing my rating and impact my ability to get an award. I do not think i am alone in this thinking.

Players on servers with low ranked population will not be able to achieve as a high a rank for their class as players on more ranked-populated servers, but this is not so much of a problem considering that if you're a truly serious ranked player (especially if you're going for the top 3 in your class), you are likely to transfer to a more ranked-populated server anyway.

Another potential problem is players that want top 3 rank might transfer from PvP servers to servers that have good enough ranked population to get frequent pops, but have a lower average skill level than PvP-server players (high population PvE servers?). Basically, players who transfer to farm rating from bads. Again, not much of a problem because you will be able to get a good rating from farming a PvE server this way, but probably not enough to get top 3 in your class.

The main problem is that, because there are unfortunately no cross server queues, there is no way to accurately compare the skill of players that are on different servers, based on rating. Because of this lack of cross server, giving out a reward for the top 3 highest ratings for an AC in the whole game, rather than server, is very unfair, as it incentivizes playing on a high population but low skill level server. When someone receives an award and another doesn't, the implication is that the person who got the award performed better. You are not able to tell who performed the best per AC in the game if the server communities are isolated from playing each other. You need to make those "top rating" reward on a per-server basis. While this may encourage players transferring to PvE servers to get that server's top rating reward, it is better than the alternative. You can also partially combat this by disabling said reward from being used/displayed on any server other than the one on which it was earned.

Edited by JediMasterSLC

It seems to me that no matter what they do, it always opens a new can of worms. But oh no, not just any worms, but the most putrid space worms you've ever seen. If something is changed, for better or for worse, it creates new problems. We ask for more que pops, they create dailies that will encourage more pops, but will also bring in the hordes of... What are they called again? Oh yeah- NOOBS, that leave their butt prints on our ratings. If they put in a gear quota, it will be more even matches, but fewer pops. And everyone wants both pops, and even teams. This is just one of many such predicaments. A good compromise leaves nobody happy.

The solution to these endless problems? One small step at a time. As the players, we just have to get used to inevitable problems, while at the same time finding solutions to them. If you don't like how it is now, get used to it until it changes, or find a better way things could be done. Once you find that better way, throw it into the swirling pit of turmoil... AKA the PvP forums. This game has improved at a steady rate since launch, and will continue to improve. Patience, my young Padawans.

Edited by PWRbox

Presumably you are suggesting that the 3 highest rated players will get the reward. If so, this is stupid because rating from completely isolated player pools are incomparable. It should be obvious that this is the case but if you still need convincing here is a quick and dirty simulation I wrote to illustrate the issue:

jelo.py

See the end of jelo.py above for output from a sample run.

Depending on the makeup of the player pool, 2 players with the same "true rating" (Alice and Malice, true rating 2000) end up with significantly different actual ratings (1797 and 1484). These ratings are perfectly consistent relative to the ratings of their opponents (i.e. the difference between different player's actual ratings is very close to the diffence between their true ratings) but meaningless when compared across player pools.

In short, the more derps your population has, the higher rating you can achieve (assuming your skill remains constant).

It doesn't affect me personally because I'm a bad and won't win the top tier reward regardless, I just enjoy pointing out the silliness of your proposed system.

OTOH, perhaps you have some other idea for comparing player performance across isolated player pools. In this case I look forward to hearing what you plan.

Edited by funkiestj

Overall good changes I think. Especially adding ranked dailies. I wouldn't worry so much about more baddies quing, cause it will happen on both teams just as likely. Plus will spice it up anyways having new blood instead of people whom you know where they stand. I think some people are definitely complaining way too much considering, no solution will make everyone happy. Wanting too many things that sound more about individual wants vs things for as many players as possible. Its supposed to be a social grpuping game after all. I also dont know why so many people are worried about how unfair the getting the top 3 thing might be. Most, like virtualy everyone won't get it anyways. My question is what vanity item can they give us that will top or be equal with the rancor of season 1? As for the top 3 guys per class I am really curious what it will be.

I know this a dead horse, but cross server que please:). May as well ask.

Unbinding knife barrels and shotgun barrels from their respective weapon types. Not really related to the above post, but it makes no sense to have legacy knives or shotguns if the barrels dont cross over anyways.

I love arenas cause they are fast paced and i can do them without worrying about one taking forever to finish, but i will say ranked and pvp in general could use with some more lore freindly type of battle grounds than hut organized arenas and such.

Players on servers with low ranked population will not be able to achieve as a high a rank for their class as players on more ranked-populated servers, but this is not so much of a problem considering that if you're a truly serious ranked player (especially if you're going for the top 3 in your class), you are likely to transfer to a more ranked-populated server anyway.

Another potential problem is players that want top 3 rank might transfer from PvP servers to servers that have good enough ranked population to get frequent pops, but have a lower average skill level than PvP-server players (high population PvE servers?). Basically, players who transfer to farm rating from bads. Again, not much of a problem because you will be able to get a good rating from farming a PvE server this way, but probably not enough to get top 3 in your class.

The main problem is that, because there are unfortunately no cross server queues, there is no way to accurately compare the skill of players that are on different servers, based on rating. Because of this lack of cross server, giving out a reward for the top 3 highest ratings for an AC in the whole game, rather than server, is very unfair, as it incentivizes playing on a high population but low skill level server. When someone receives an award and another doesn't, the implication is that the person who got the award performed better. You are not able to tell who performed the best per AC in the game if the server communities are isolated from playing each other. You need to make those "top rating" reward on a per-server basis. While this may encourage players transferring to PvE servers to get that server's top rating reward, it is better than the alternative. You can also partially combat this by disabling said reward from being used/displayed on any server other than the one on which it was earned.

The problem of players transferring servers to get better rewards has two solutions: Give rewards per server, or give SW:TOR cross server queues.

Ranked dailies = more 26k players with less than 2018, expertise...

Oh yay, so excited.

Now an attempt not to be an ***, do something to ensure that anyone that queues for rated pvp has at least 1936 expertise (max bolster expertise) and is fully augmented - it won't stop bads who can't break 5k damage in a round from queuing, but it will at least prevent matches from starting out 3vs4 (or worse); and before anyone comes back with skill > gear, having ~26k hp in a 4vs4 death match is like going into a fight drunk with one hand tied behind your back - you're setting yourself up to be globaled if the other group focus fires (potentially 2 shotted if a sin/shadow wants to solo you).

Ranked dailies = more 26k players with less than 2018, expertise...

Oh yay, so excited.

Now an attempt not to be an ***, do something to ensure that anyone that queues for rated pvp has at least 1936 expertise (max bolster expertise) and is fully augmented - it won't stop bads who can't break 5k damage in a round from queuing, but it will at least prevent matches from starting out 3vs4 (or worse); and before anyone comes back with skill > gear, having ~26k hp in a 4vs4 death match is like going into a fight drunk with one hand tied behind your back - you're setting yourself up to be globaled if the other group focus fires (potentially 2 shotted if a sin/shadow wants to solo you).

Take 3 Friends and play 4vs4 :-), solo ranked is random pvp ...

No cross server ... bad idea with 96 best of the World .... Epic Fail BW !!!

Do it for one server or give us cross server.

I can not compete with any other player of another server ...

Bw why you are doing this ????