DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

djinnerman

[center]'||''|.      '||'       
||    ||     ||  ||. '  
||    ||     ||  . '|.. 
.||...|'  || .|'  |'..|' 
          '''           

'||'  '||'                 '||   ||                   
||    ||    ....   ....    ||  ...  .. ...     ... . 
 ||'' ''||  .|...|| '' .||   ||   ||   ||  ||   || ||  
||    ||  ||      .|' ||   ||   ||   ||  ||    |''   
.||.  .||.  '|...' '|..'|'  .||. .||. .||. ||.  '||||. 
                                             .|....' 

..|'''.|            ||       '||          
.|'     '  ... ...  ...     .. ||    ....  
||    ....  ||  ||   ||   .'  '||  .|...|| 
'|.    ||   ||  ||   ||   |.   ||  ||      
''|...'|   '|..'|. .||.  '|..'||.  '|...'

.'|.                 
.||.     ...   ... ..  
||    .|  '|.  ||' '' 
||    ||   ||  ||     
.||.    '|..|' .||.    

'||''|.                                   ||                 
||   ||  ... ...   .. .. ..   .. .. ..   ...       ....   ....  
||    ||  ||  ||   || || ||   || || ||   ||  .|...|| ||. '  
||    ||  ||  ||   || || ||   || || ||   ||  ||      . '|.. 
.||...|'   '|..'|.  .|| || ||. .|| || ||. .||.  '|...' |'..|' 

[/center]

Continue to check back for consistent updates until otherwise noted. This will be my ongoing project.

.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

Special thanks to my girlfriend

for putting up with my obsession with this game and this guide.

Thanks for your support, I love you sweetheart.

Word of warning: You are about to embark in a hidden prank and lots of jokes. You were warned :p

[aname=table]Table of Contents[/aname]

1. [jumpto=pres]Pre-Pre-Synop-Synopsis[/jumpto]
  2. [jumpto=press]Pre-Synop-Synopsis[/jumpto]
  3. [jumpto=pre]Pre-Synopsis[/jumpto]
  4. [jumpto=healfyou]Is Healing For You?[/jumpto]
  5. [jumpto=skills]Skills Review[/jumpto]
  6. [jumpto=group]Group Etiquette[/jumpto]
  7. [jumpto=this]This Area[/jumpto]
  8. [jumpto=tree]Healing Specsl[/jumpto]
  9. [jumpto=stats]Stats and You[/jumpto]
  10. [jumpto=pro]Procedures[/jumpto]
  11. [jumpto=heal]Teh Art of Healing[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=uno]Numero Uno[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=gas]Supercharged Gas[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=rot]Rotation[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=kmiss]Kolto Missile[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=kshell]Kolto Shell[/jumpto]
    • [jumpto=vent]Vent Heat[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=crowd]Crowd Control[/jumpto]

• [jumpto=dart]Electro Dart[/jumpto]
  • [jumpto=jet]Jet Boost[/jumpto]
  • [jumpto=conc]Concussion Missile[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=ground]Ground Placement and You[/jumpto] (aka Red Stuff on the Ground and in the Air)

• [jumpto=stand]Standing Still[/jumpto]
  • [jumpto=koltopl]Kolto Missile Placement (Soon)[/jumpto]
  • [jumpto=enemy]Separating Yourself from the Enemy (Soon)[/jumpto]
  • [jumpto=flare]Flare Gun CE[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=that]That Area[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=heat]Heat Management[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=effect]Being Effective[/jumpto]

[*][jumpto=key]Keybinds[/jumpto] - Are they worth it?

[*][jumpto=syn]Synopsis[/jumpto]

_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2_,-'2

[aname=pres]Pre-Pre-Synop-Synopsis[/aname]

Before I confuse anyone, this is simply a pure healing guide. The things you read from here on out are not a see all do all type deal. This is collective information that I have put together that has worked best for me and made me a successful healer in any game. The things you see here in some occasions are purely SITUATIONAL. Please keep that in mind while adventuring into the abyss.

[jumpto=table]Table of Contents[/jumpto]

[aname=press]Pre-Synop-Synopsis[/aname]

Healing and damage are going to be separated from this guide to prevent confusion. To make this a pure healing guide, one must stay as pure as possible. Keep in mind that there will be times that you will see the latter as we explore some options in situational combat and perspectives in healing.

[aname=pre]Pre-Synopsis[/aname]

Before I begin, I must say that I have never attempted or written a guide of any type before. Neither have I ever called myself an elitist nor have I labeled myself as a professional and/or a theory-crafter. What you are reading here is a pure personal lover of healing. I am a casual gamer who at least spends quality time in virtual entertainment. This mainly includes keeping characters of all types alive for the duration of any game play.*

* - There is no reason for this asterisk. I have no idea what it's doing there in the first place...

This is healing is its most purest form, nothing else (at least almost pure). The basis of healing is a special art form that requires heavy responsibility. It also requires attention for the needy and anything can happen. Therefore it is vital to adapt to your situation very quickly and swiftly. A simple wrong move can potentially produce grave results and end up in a restart in your encounter. This may cause grief among yourself and your group. BUT, remember to keep your whits about you and that not everything is always your fault. Always keep your head on your shoulders and LEARN from your mistakes (if any) and move on.*

Last but finally not least, respect the green. We all should know by now that green (also my all time FAVORITE COLOR) FlyTexts (in this game) floating above player's heads are healing marks and red floating FlyTexts are damage marks.

Keep this as a note: As a healer, you should be seeing green perferably 99.999% of the time.

*Remember that Red is damage on your player. Damage on your enemy is actually White and skills used is Yellow. Red and Green is to show our separation between damage and healing because there is a point that will be made across many times as you continue on.*

[aname=healfyou]Is Bodyguard Healing Right For You?[/aname]

*Do you like to see green or like the color green?

*Do you like to keep people alive and potentially yourself?

*Are you a team player and do what you can to keep people breathing and going?

*Do you like to have a challenge at times?

*Are you able to stay calm under pressure?

*Are you able to keep an eye on your surroundings?

*Are you able to adapt quickly and swiftly?

*Are you capable of multi-tasking?

If you answered yes to most, if not all (the first one doesn't really count), then healing is for you!

[aname=skills]Skill Review[/aname]

For now, I placed this little chart here as a review at what we are potentially looking at. There are a couple of skills that I am missing at the current moment, but this is because I have yet to experience them first hand just yet. Stay tuned.

As for now, this chart should be a visual reference on what we are looking at as far as heat management is concerned. Heat can build up very quickly depending on the job, but the heat expenditures is not as high as we are expecting since we also have to account for the cool-off.

Also, the casting time expense, especially Rapid Scan (not so rapid after all) is looking at a basic two second margin in casting. Because there is a haste stat called Alacrity which I will introduce later in the weeks coming days, we should be mindful of the time it takes to land heals. This can become crucial especially when you get into a little crunch and need a quick kick of a heal.

There are basic modifiers from the talent tree where our heals will cost less than it's default heat cost such as (Rapid Scan after Healing Scan because of the skill Critical Efficiency). Remember to study what skills you have invested in. This is part of knowing and mastering your class.

Subject to update very soon.

-----Skills--------|-------Heat Cost------|--------Amount of Heal-------|------Cast Time------|----Range-----|---Cooldown

-----------------------------------------------------------per Rank

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rapid Shots-----------------0-----------------------------tbd-----------------------Instant---------------30m------------GCD ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+1/2/3%

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rapid Scan-----------------25----------------------------tbd------------------------2 Sec.---------------30m------------GCD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+1/2/3%

Healing Scan---------------16----------------------------tbd-----------------------1.5 Sec.--------------30m-----------9 Sec.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+1/2/3%----- -SCG Time

Supercharged Gas---------16----------------------------n/a-----------------------Instant----------------n/a------------GCD

SCG Time=-100%

Combat Support----------n/a----------------------------tbd------------------------1.5 Sec.---------------n/a-----------GCD

Cylinder

Kolto Missile---------------16---------------------------tbd------------------------Instant---------------30m-----------6 Sec.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+1/2/3%

Kolto Shell------------------0----------------------------tbd------------------------Instant---------------30m-----------GCD- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+1/2/3%

Vent Heat-------------------50 -------------------------------------------------------Instant--------------n/a----------2 Min.-

--------------------------over 3 Sec.------------------------------------------------over 3 Sec.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skill Chart (Not Updated)

A cuter chart for you to use. Print it out and put it in your wallet. Really, you don't have to.

[aname=group]Group Etiquette[/aname]

Before I begin, I would like to touch base on something I call group etiquette (or manners for the less informed). Many individuals believe that neglecting basic etiquette principles is okay to let slide and that because being behind the desk of their computer will render them the “important” role of the universe. Although as a healer, you are indeed important, but you are just as important as everyone else around you. Without a tank and/or sufficient damage per second (dps), you will struggle with healing. Strutting around with your peacock feathers will not make you that one cool dude because you heal. Leave the ego out of it, you will go a long ways. Also, please and thank you (I work with kids. I swear, I hope every single one of you know how to utilize it and at least do this on a daily basis. I see a handful of people that don't do it and it drives me up the wall!) is helpful.

Understanding your role can make all the difference in the world. As a healer (this is where the 99.9999% part comes in), should consist of doing ALMOST NO damage (unless you are in a pvp environment, again, this is purely situational) whatsoever (unless the group ask you to and/or the mission you are doing is trivial.) Granted this guide is supposed to be weighted according to your level. You should only be seeing green. The ONLY time you should really be using other skills is for management such as crowd control (cc) to keep them at bay. Normally these skills are Jet Boost and Electro Dart. (Later in this guide, there is a point you can place in the tree where the Electro Dart is free of use and the Jet Boost heat cost is cut in half.)

Many individuals are prone to arguing. Arguing gets you nowhere. I have seen events in other mmos where a tank or another player has a grudge against another player and causes grief amongst the rest of the group. This can be a very painful experience for yourself and for others, therefore resulting in a waste of time. It is wise to avoid an argument at all cost and keep the task at hand, you are after all supposed to be teammates.

This section may be very subjective, but in my personal experience, this has helped me gain experience in healing as I concentrate more on the job than the hand...(errr...wait).

[aname=this]This Area[/aname]

If you are reading this, head to [jumpto=that]that area.[/jumpto]

[aname=tree]Healing Specs[/aname]

PvE

Before we head into our procedural area we need to figure out what kind of healing tree we are looking at.

The first and foremost area is our simple basic foundational healing skill tree in the Bodyguard fomation (note that Powered Insulators is placed in that is used for leveling purposes):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rrRoRbcdkq.1

This simple get go is our minimum run towards the highest tier part of the Bodyguard tree, Emergency Scan. We are essentially looking at a minimum of Level 40 to hit this badboy before you can allot any other points in the other trees.

This potentially leaves you open 10 points for these things.

[size="3"]Ironsights[/size]

Increases Aim by [3 / 6 / 9]%.

[size="3"]Mandalorian Iron Warheads[/size]

Increases the damage dealt by all missiles and Power Shot by [3 / 6]%
and the healing dealt by Kolto Missile by [10 / 20]%.

[size="3"]System Calibrations[/size]

Increases alacrity by [2 / 4]%.

This is what my final healing spec will look like at the end for pve.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRRRzcdkqZMcoZb.1

(Note, this is for those who are wanting to get that alacrity without wasting gear stats on them to hit the soft cap, so you can focus on power and crit).

The Alacrity bonus will help with my hast in casting as I have an increase in:

[size="3"]Critical Reaction[/size]

Critical results with damage and healing abilities have a [50 / 100]% chance to grant Critical Reaction
, increasing alacrity by 5% for 6 seconds.

I also have an increase in alacrity from System Calibrations will add to what I have. I am unsure however how much the percentage will scale.

However, once the crazy number cruncher people get the right amount of max haste obtainable granted I get reach the max without gear, etc, I will be changing the spec to something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRRRzcdkqZrco.1

The added:

[size="3"]Upgraded Arsenal[/size]

Increases the effects of your gas cylinders while they are active:
Combustible Gas Cylinder: Increases tech critical hit chance by 3%.
High Velocity Gas Cylinder: Reduces the heat cost of Rail Shot by 8.
[color="White"]Combat Support Cylinder: Increases tech critical hit chance by 3%.[/color]

Without Alacrity

Here is a spec without the alacrity:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rfRoRzcdkqZrco.1

I removed some alacrity talents and replaced Critical Efficiency for Integrated Systems for the extra 2% in healing.

Essentially, since I should be set with my haste, my increase in crit should increase the success in my healing endeavors.

Here's a nice noteworthy tip from TempestasSilva

Thoughts on Alacrity:

1) its a set bonus for us, so Bioware intended for us to like it.

2) Allows me to cast the same #of spells for the same heat Faster

3) Now have more time to spam rapid shots which increases my healing

4) Now am done casting sooner so my heat starts dissipating sooner.

5) 3+4 = more throughput

[aname=stats]Stats and You[/aname]

As a bounty hunter, our main stats are Aim everywhere we go. Stick with this general guideline anytime you create a character.

BH/Trooper use Aim - Heavy Armor

IA/Smuggler use Cunning - Medium Armor

JK/SW use Strength - Heavy Armor

Inquis/Consular use Willpower - Light Armor

So the basic laydown will be Aim and Endurance in your gear.

Now for the other stats, I wouldn't worry too too much on the extra stats until you start hitting high levels and max level for raiding. Alacrity will be an important stat but up to a certain amount. You should probably be focusing on Power and Crit since it will be adding towards your bonus heals and your crit chances. Surge just adds to your critical damage.

[aname=pro]Procedures[/aname]

This is where the mamagama plethora wall-o-text will come in. I will try my best to divide them into sub sections in order to ease the pain. Yes, pun intended. No it was not a joke.

I will be covering a few areas in this sections in which I feel is best to explain.

1. Healing
  2. Crowd Management
  3. Ground Placement and You
  4. Heat Management
  5. Being Effective
  6. Keybinds

[aname=heal]Healing[/aname]

Welcome to teh art of healing. You are the bread and butter of the group of operations, flashpoints, and missions. Without you, the galaxy would not turn and the tide would not tip in the favor of all that is patchable in every way. Your job is vital (just as is everybody else's) and without it, no hand cannot complete the body. (No, no obsession with hands).

Knowing your skills is important in fulfilling your role as a healer. I have always believed in mastering your class and that no one should tell you how to play (not even me, this is only a guide, keep that in mind).

The first thing to keep in mind is that using the Combat Support Cylinder (CSC) is an absolute must. You will be using this for the duration of your healing career. The way it works is that every time you activate your Rapid Shots on an ALLY (not yourself, cannot use on yourself, but use on your companion if you must while going solo) it will add 3 charges to a max of 30 charges to the CSC. After the 10th time you literally cauterize someone all in the name of green, CSC will become full and Supercharged Gas (SCG) will be ready to be deployed.

The kicker is that

[size=3]Empowered Scans[/size]
Increases the healing done by Rapid Scan and Healing Scan by [3 / 6]%. 
In addition, Rapid Scan builds [3 / 6] charges of Combat Support Cylinder
[url="http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300rd.1"]Minimal Skill Tree[/url]

will increase the CSC charges by 3/6 (1 point for 3 and 2 points for 6 respectively). Because you will be using Rapid Scan at times, this will quickly rack up your CSC charges to its max, therefore increasing the chances of enabling the Supercharged Gas skill.

[aname=uno]
Numero Uno
[/aname]

Speaking of Rapid Shots, one thing to point out is this, do you remember when you first started your character fresh? Take a deep breath. Exhale, now that hokey for Rapid Shots by default is 1. By now, I'm hoping most of you are not clickers. I'll explain "Clickers" this in the Effectiveness section. At this point, that numero uno button should be your all time favorite buddy. Whatever finger you use, should be pressing down on this button mucho times while targeting your ALLY (not yourself, can't shoot yourself in this game sadly (beta /stuck was the only suicide)). You should get into this habit of constantly pressing this button.

Think of it as a maintained Heal Over Time (HoT). As you continuously shoot over and over and over again, you are slowly building health back up. You are not only rebuilding health, but you are also building charges for SCG. CSC has a timer that lasts for 30 seconds until the charges disappear. If you are constantly pressing 1, you shouldn't have a problem losing these important charges.

---------------------------

[aname=gas]
Supercharge Gas
[/aname]

Once you have your SCG ready, you are ready to activate it.

[size=3]Supercharged Gas[/size]
Instant
Converts 30 charges of Combat Support Cylinder to supercharge your blasters, venting 16 heat and
increasing all damage and healing dealt by 10% for 10 seconds. While active, the following abilities gain 
Supercharge effects:
Power Shot: Heat cost reduced by 17.
Unload: Heat cost reduced by 8.
Healing Scan: Cooldown reduced by 100%.
Kolto Missile: Places a shield on all targets, reducing damage taken by 10% for 15 seconds.

During this time, you will be unable to rebuild your charges until the remainder of the 10 second timer is up. Remember that Rapid Scan is using 64% more heat than Healing Scan. Also, Healing Scan has a 0.5 shorter casting time than the former. While SCG is activated, the cooldown (not including GCD which is 1 second, so you should have a 0.5 second buffer in between casts) for Healing Scan is not 9 seconds anymore for the duration of 10 seconds, but 0, zero, nilch, nada, dundun. This means you can potentially cast Healing Scan 6.6666666666667 times according to my calculator. (I just tested it out and got about 7, which the last one hit the cooldown)

There is a talent in the tree called Critical Efficiency. This means that:

[size="3"]Critical Efficiency[/size]

Healing Scan has a [33.34 / 66.68 / 100.02]% chance to reduce the heat cost of your next Rapid Scan by 16

At this point, Rapid Scan will cost the same amount as Healing Scan but with a slightly more punch. (
Vasharan
). Remember that it is only effective after you cast Healing Scan and when the buff becomes in effect, therefore Rapid Scan is reduced by 16 only once after the initial buff. Any other successful Healing Scan casts will potentially re-enable the Critical Efficiency buff for the next reduced Rapid Scan buff.

---------------------------

[aname=rot]
Rotation
[/aname]

Regarding Healing Scan and Rapid Scan casting, here is a snippet found in Chorusgirl's

Our basic single target rotation will consist of Healing Scan followed by a Rapid Scan which is not repeatable since Healing Scan is on a 9 second (talented) cooldown. It is followed by Rapid Scan since using Healing Scan reduces the cost of Rapid Scan to 9 heat. Ideally you would want to use Healing Scan on c/d if your heat is low and the tank is tanking something because it puts a 9 second hot on the target, at optimal heat dissipation (0-39 heat) Free ability - Kolto Shell, Rapid Shot, Emergency Scan. The heat conserving/heat reducing rotation would be as follows:

Healing Scan
>
Rapid Scan
>
Free ability
>
Free ability

Followed by this rotation

Kolto Missles
>
Free ability
>
Free ability

****The seemingly logical choice would be to follow the first rotation with one similar to this [Rapid Scan > Rapid Shot > Rapid Shot > Rapid Shot], but it is not very efficient and the Kolto Missile will net higher healing per point of heat. (70.9 hp/heat vs 60.2 hp/heat) If your target is taking an exceptional amount of damage then you could use Rapid Scan as it would provide more single target healing but just wouldn't be as efficient as using Kolto Missiles. In high damage tank fights you could weave kolto missiles on the tank to provide the extra 5% healing.

Higher Output but generates some heat:

Healing Scan
>
Rapid Scan
>
Free ability
[or]
Healing Scan
>
Free ability
>
Rapid Scan

AOE healing rotation will consist of Kolto Missiles. This will net you about .2 seconds of heat dissipation needed at some other point in your rotation (depending on your alacrity) but throwing in an extra rapid shot or other 0 heat ability will reduce that extra heat and can be used in every 5th rotation.

Kolto Missles
>
Healing Scan
>
Rapid Scan
>
Free ability
>
Free ability
and repeat

If you are at a higher heat level the amount of rapid shots or other 0 cost GCDs that are needed to create a net heat of 0 are listed next to “RS till 0 Heat”

Thank you Chorusgirl for your snippet.

Check out the Heavy Healing section for more info on Supercharged Gas and healing rotation throughput.

Find more information to enrich your healing knowledge by checking out her guide as well.

[aname=kmiss]
Kolto Missile
[/aname]

Finally (for now) we have our beloved fire extinguisher Kolto Missile. According to my cute handy chart, Kolto Missiles cost 16 heat credits and the cooldown is 6 seconds. Kolto Missile accomplishes a little more than Healing Scan but shouldn't always be used up every second of the day. Sure it looks cool, but the fact of the matter is that it shouldn't replace healing scan. Kolto Missiles should be used when you are looking at multiple damage intakes going on at once and thank GOD for people sticking together for this kind of secret operation involving radioactive material and residue.

HOWEVER, remember that SCG causes

Kolto Missile: Places a shield on all targets, reducing damage taken by 10% for 15 seconds.

So to effectively mitigate and soak up the damage, fire this bad boy in the midst of the unexpected crowd and patch up any other wounds needed from the remaining timer with Healing Scan.

[aname=kshell]
Kolto Shell
[/aname]

As we all know, in the Koopa kingdom lived a very happy Koopa King who loved protecting his prized asset with the one who is so susceptible in being captured. Welcome to our Tank, our dear Princess, who is ready to be encased in a shell shocked nature since the days of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles©. We, the Koopa King, will do what it takes to protect her (him, our main man in the dress...or female man in the dress whichever is greater) from the damaging nature of our enemies, Mario must stay away, that wily red mustachio man.

Joking aside, let us take a quick look at our skill.

First off, you will need to be at least level 30 and your tree should look something like

[size=3]Kolto Shell[/size]
Deploys a kolto shell around the target that has 10 charges and lasts 5 minutes. 
When damaged, the kolto shell loses 1 charge and heals the target for 61 - 72. 
This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds. Only one Kolto Shell can be deployed at a time.

The basis of this skill is that when activated, you will place a shell (no, not turtle shell, the N64 is over there) which essentially allows added damage mitigation to your indicated target. This is beautiful because it's possible a hit from an enemy can overheal the damage they give. Either way, whipping out my text based calculator, let us suppose that the enemy attacks your target with the turtle shell (shhhh) and lands a beautiful even mark of 100. With the Shell on your Princess, let us suppose that (by dice roll w/e) that the heal is 70. Now we are looking at:

----

30! No, not 30! as in summation notation you algebra nerds.

With only 30 damage from the big bad Mario, we are now having a little bit of breathing room in our healing, casting bar, and heat bar (granted you don't have to heal others since the Tank should be taking the hits if things go right).

Just remember, this isn't THE alternative, so remember that you are resting on a 3 second timer before the next one can become in effect.

Try to keep this on your tank as much as you possibly can. Try keeping an eye on the charge counter in his buffs and replace when they reach around 1-3.

Heat sold separately. Only one is allowed per customer.

*For those of you who don't realize the analogy here, indeed we know that the Koopa King is Bowser and our enemy is Mario (yes, everything is flipped) but one thing to point out is that Bowser is
Green
(shell) and Mario is
Red
. (See what I did thar?)*

[aname=vent]
Vent Heat
[/aname]

Time for some anger management. Jack Nicholson may not really be suitable for this, so you are on your own. At this point we have noticed that this skill allows us to:

[size=3]Vent Heat[/size]
Rapidly vents 50 heat over 3 seconds.

Venting heat is important, build too much and you will explode. Your brain will trigger a mechanism where it will allow you to snap, depending on the person. Everyone has a certain threshold and so does the Bounty Hunter. Sadly, you can't sound engineer it and place a compressor and slap a threshold in it, since hitting its peak, it will hit that spot and max there and not clip over and explode, therefore static (sorry off topic, but basic relevant to the point and a nice little tidbit to learn in music).

However, like its predecessor of the intricate usage of our infamous Supercharged gas, we are talking about a much more refined drop in heat ventage. However, the downside is that the cooldown is a mere 120 seconds or 2 minutes respectively. A lot can happen within a time span of two minutes and popping it once can save you, but make sure you are ready for the next fight without it if you are jumping into the next fight with it in CD.

Until I get into raiding with this class, my only assumption with the early usage (properly) with Vent Heat in raid healing will be during an early fight. However, it is not the same as a Shaman in WoW since their mana does not replenish quickly like the Bounty Hunter does. Take that in account that when used early, you will be without it, but will have an opportunity to use again later in the fight. More to come when the times comes in this perspective.

MORE TO UPDATE

Under construction.

-----------------------------------

PS: Keep pressing 1

[aname=crowd]Crowd Management[/aname]

Congratulations, you just reached the section of your 0.0001% of damage. In this section, we will be exploring Crowd Management and how to shrug them off your shoulders like a true game player.

As a healer, we are favorite snacks for enemies. For some odd reason, we generate a lot of hate, aggro, attention (We'll use the hate for this) when we patch up the wounded in the battlefield. This can cause some problems. Majority of the time, it leaves us dead ourselves while we are feverishly looking after our comrades. This is acceptable to allow inflicting damage against the bashers bashing against you. Enter CC.

Crowd Management is a means to control your surroundings by utilizing proper techniques to the best of your abilities without compromising your main objective, being a world class medic.

You have three effective CC skills to use.

• Electro Dart
  • Jet Boost
  • Concussion Missile

During your initial encounters, you may run into enemies than will hammer on you that require a set back (need source and/or assurance of recovering stunned foes resetting hate). The idea is to utilize one of these skills to give you some "breathing" room.

[aname=dart]
Electro Dart
[/aname]

[size=3]Electro Dart[/size]
Fires an electro dart that stuns the target for 4 seconds.

Perfect for that quick LEAVE ME ALONE for 4 seconds electro disco shock. Normally, I quickly fire this and run off to another direction. If it is range, I generally warn the group and/or move closer to the group so that they can be a little more aware of the hate drawn upon me. The downside to this is that it has a 60 second CD before it can be used again, so use it wisely and accordingly.

[aname=jet]
Jet Boost
[/aname]

[size=3]Jet Boost[/size]
Blasts 5 nearby enemies back and away. Targets hit by this take 1193 - 1323 elemental damage and 
have their movement slowed by 60% for 4 seconds.

I personally used this a lot during the Hammer Flashpoint's last boss because of the edge. Remember, enemies CAN be knocked off cliffs to their impending doom. If all else fails, their movement speed is impaired by 60% which gives me a good 4 seconds to get out of their way (melee favorites).

[aname=conc]
Concussion Missile
[/aname]

[size=3]Concussion Missile[/size]
Fires a missile at the target that knocks it out for up to 60 seconds. Non-player, 
non-standard and non-weak targets regenerate health rapidly while knocked out. 
Damage to the target causes this effect to end prematurely.

A nice starter before your encounter, this should be paired with another Sith and/or Merc in the group to minimize the amount of enemies in the battlefield to mitigate damage, actually preventing damage for 60 seconds. Would be wise to mark your target first to indicate who is being CCed. (Macros soon to be updated when they are implemented).

It is important to utilize these skills properly. Remember that you are healing, not purposefully
damaging
enemies, that is not your job. Being an effective Crowd Controller can increase the chances of success in your healing endeavors.

PS: Keep pressing 1

[aname=ground]Ground Placement[/aname]

This area isn't too extensive. The idea behind proper ground placement is that you should keep your distance from melee (obvious) and maneuver around obstacles efficiently. When you are being tagged by ranged foes, learn to Line of Sight (los). This means find a suitable wall or crates in the area to hide behind which cause them to stop attacking and chase. Many times they change targets because of the increase dishing in damage from your group thus allowing you to jump back out and continue your job. This doesn't always happen, so you might also have to CC if possible. An effective tank should be aware of hate towards his best friend and pull them off of you. Sometimes dps may do so as well, it depends on the situation.

Most importantly, you will see things on the ground that are not supposed to be there. I have one word for you, MOVE. If you doesn't look good, move. One important factor in being a healer is that you need to be able to multitask. You need to be fully aware of your surroundings (as do your teammates which helps with the healing, seriously). There are fights that consists of side stepping. The last boss in Flashpoint Hammer fires a barrage of blaster bolts, which everyone (including you) should be well away from it.

Proper ground placement and full awareness of your surroundings helps increase the chance of success in your healing career.

[aname=stand]
Standing Still
[/aname]

Back in the day, Wile E. Coyote (Carnivorous Vulgaris) loved trying to place ACME glue down on the ground in order to stick quicky Roadrunner (Accelleratii incredibus) so he can just stand still and not move anymore, now he can finally catch the darn thingy for his tasty dinner, but we all know Wile E. was every man's biggest failure.

Welcome to our world of not staying still. Many times (and time after time after time) people will run all over the place in order to get away from their pursuer in attempt to ward them off. But we all know that that doesn't always work. So what are you really supposed to do if you find yourself running all over the place and being chased and you find yourself like Mike the Headless Chicken that lived for 18 months?

STAND STILL!!

Yes this is in red, why? Because you WILL be getting hit regardless. It is better for you to stand still then to run everywhere making it difficult for your teammates to get a hold of your pursuer. What you should do if possible (unless you stepped on ACME stick-glue yourself) is run towards the tank. Now, picture the essence of using Jet Boost. When you knock the enemy away from you, you will certainly push them away for a certain amount of time, but they will soon reduce distance with you and meet face to face with you sooner or later. If you were to run around, it would make it harder for the other group members to attempt to pull them off you and you would be losing precious healing time when you should be focusing on the others. Eventually the enemies will get off you.

This is extremely important to understand that running around like a chicken with your head cut off makes things that much harder to do than it originally should have been in the first place.

[aname=koltop]
Kolto Missile Placement
[/aname]

Kolto Missile placement can get a little troublesome at best if not done right. This is because it works by a certain radius and can only affect three people. During that time, the players need to be within a certain range before it can be counted as a heal or "hit" respectively. If you remember how far the radius reaches for "Death From Above," you will notice that the enemies are afflicted from outside the Red Empire logo radius.

Also, when laying down a Kolto Missile, you may have noticed that it may seem like a delay in firing the missile even though it is instant. Just remember that those in the radius of the Kolto Missile is affected by "when" they were in the area not where they are at "now." Keep in mind that optimizing the space and leading helps.

Here's an example that will enlighten more on placing a Kolto Missile.

Legend:

K = Kolto Missile

P = Player

P
----------------------
K
----------------------
P

Quite simply, I just placed the Kolto Missile in between the two players. to hit both of them if they were spread apart.

Sometimes when a triangle formation of a sort is made out, you might have something that looks like the following:

-------------------------
P

-------------------------
K

P
----------------------------------------------
P

Here, I should be able to hit all three players.

Edited by djinnerman

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[aname=enemy]Separating Yourself from the Enemy[/aname]

This area coming soon.

[aname=flare]Flare Gun CE[/aname]

Here's a nice little treat for you not because I like you, but because you've gone this far into the guide. For those of you who have the Deluxe or Collector's Edition you should know by now you have the (not so useless) Flare Gun. Not once have I seen anyone use it but let's take a quicker look at it.

[size="3"]CE Special Edition Flare Gun[/size]

Fires a flare into the air, largely for attention-grabbing purposes.
Use: Fires a flare high up into the air.

Beautiful little novelty item isn't just so novelty after all. Use this to well, yes, get some attention. Generally, many people do not know what the item is or even seen or heard of it, therefore it would be wise to let your group know of this item, what it SOUNDS and LOOKS like. The Flare Gun makes a nice booming pop sound that is a little distinct. If your group has their ears and eyes out, they should be able to hear and see the flare and come to your rescue.

This is an item you might need to experiment but this little nifty item actually DOES have its use.

Also, if you are a pvper and love warzones, this tool is also a nice little thing to use.

Use it wisely since it has a CD of 1 Min. Also, place the item on a hotbar somewhere and bindkey it so you are ready for any emergency.

[aname=that]That Area[/aname]

If you are reading this, head to [jumpto=this]this area.[/jumpto]

[aname=heat]Heat Management[/aname]

Heat is our beautiful counterpart in heating up the world of healing. For almost every skill we use to heal, we generate heat. Once we build up too much heat, it roughly "overheats" in essence but not literally. This means that the cool off for our heat sink slows down until a certain % is met.

Bars

>>>> = Fast | 5 heat per second

>>> = Moderate | 3 heat per second

>> = Slow | 3 heat per second

> = Very Slow | 2 heat per second

----Heat Level%-------|-------Bars------|--------Speed-------

------------------------------------------------------------------

---------80+---------------------->----------------Very Slow

--------60-79-------------------->>-----------------Slow

--------40-59------------------->>>--------------Moderate

---------0-39------------------>>>>----------------Fast

The general idea is that the lower your heat level, the fast your cooldown time. This means that you want to do your best to refrain from hitting the 60+ mark or things will start getting a little antsy. Doesn't necessarily mean this will always happen as like I said, keep hitting 1 will give off some heals while to let the heat sink cool down a bit. Also, SCG will dissipate 16 heat which essentially gives you a free Healing Scan, but don't go over board.

If you activate SCG and cast Healing Scan back to back until it hits CD, it will take roughly 10 seconds for the heat to dissipate to 0. Keeping an eye on heat is important. (Think of it as mana, you run out, you run of heals, although this is only temporary but everything goes at a faster pace).

[aname=effect]Being Effective[/aname]

Hi Clickers. How's it going? Good good. And you? Me? I'm still PRESSING 1. What? No no, my finger doesn't hurt.

I have nothing against Clickers, but are they really that effective? This is very subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But the difference between Clickers and Hoykeyers...well...that's almost comparing apples and oranges. Almost.

The idea about Clickers is that pressing a series of buttons to ensure a task is complete via the hotbar has taken quite a spirited debate over the years.

I am not going to entice an argument, but I will tell you this, I actually do both. Moving with the mouse allow me to turn quickly in an 180 turn when need be all while press a keybind button to take care of an enemy. The reason I believe keybinds are very very important is because of the EFFECTIVEness in your performance. However, with the lack of macro support as of now (so be redacted when the time comes) I am left with using my side buttons on my mouse and my shift and control keys.

Sure, with keybinds you have hotkeys to remember. But remember what I said earlier, master your class. As you master your class with these hotkeys, it's kind of like driving a car. You drive without thinking about anything and everything comes natural. So therefore, practice practice practice. I will cover the keybind aspect in the next area in a moment.

Everyone plays however they like and I applaud that and encourage it. There is no right or wrong way to play. Just remember that there are some very effective means in getting the job done quickly and efficiently and THAT my friends, helps make you a successful healer.

[aname=key]Keybinds[/aname]

Here's the end portion of the Procedures list, Keybinds. I love keybinds. Normally when possible, especially macro support and such, I have a plethora of keybinds to choose from. I don't think about it, I just hit the button.

As of now, I have the following hotkeyed:

As seen on a G5 mouse with the Side middle mouse button as f12 (don't ask lol)

Rapid Shots [censored for abusive use]

Rapid Scan | Mouse 5

Healing Scan | Shift + Mouse 5

Supercharged Gas | Side Middle Mouse Button (F12)

Kolto Missile | Ctrl + Mouse 5

Concussion Missile | Ctrl + Mouse 4

Electro Dart | R

Jest Boost | Alt + F12

Energy Shield | Alt + W

Kolto Shell | Ctrl + Shift + Mouse 5

Cure | Alt + Mouse 4

Vehicle | F

I can't wait for macros

While healing, I generally hover my mouse next to the group window getting ready to heal. I click a name, move the mouse out a little into an empty space, press a hotkey and keep pressing 1. It also helps to set Party Frames as Operations Frames since you are mostly worried about their health.

It can be found in Preferences > User Interface > (Scroll to Bottom) Use Operations Frames as Party Frames.

Also, I set my Action Ability Queue Window to 1 second found in Preferences > Controls > (Scroll to bottom) Set dropdown menu to 1.0

[aname=syn]Synopsis[/aname]

There you have it, a simple (hopefully) Mercenary healing guide for Dummies. Being a successful healer is good and all, but here's THE most important thing of all that we just covered. It's not about being a clicker, keybinder, CCer, healer, group helper, being nice, being mean, mastercating on your lunch break, or flirting with the Twi'lek girls.

It's about having fun!

As I said, I am open to comments and criticism. I would like to have a discussion on Bodyguarding and put our heads together in finding some really cool techniques. I am willing to place your name on this guide for some notable pointers that really hit the cake.

[aname=todo]To-do List:[/aname]

---------------------------------------

1. Energy Shield
  2. Concussion Missile - ✓
  3. Kolto Shell - ✓
  4. Addons (If applicable)
  5. Macros (When implemented)
  6. Skill Tree (Optimal) - ✓
  7. Clean up guide after you wake up for staying up all night - ✓
  8. Update chart - ✓ partial
  9. Grammar, spell check, etc. - ✓
    • Need to double double check - ✓

[*]PvP?

[*]Stats of importance - ✓

[*]FAQ - Started at least

[*]Keybind Updates - ✓

[*]Add info for Vent Heat - Half done .... no a 1/4 done, don't lie to yourself...okay you barely started, stop making up stuff.

[*]Update Ground Placement

• Staying Still - ✓
  • Movements
  • Macros for alerting (soon)

[*]Kolto Missile Leading - ✓

[*]Kolto Missile Placement - ✓

[*]Kolto Missile Residue Talent Point - ✓

[*]Re-research skill information and make sure they are up to date

• Check for a number crunching list including a spreadsheet.
  • Find the formulas for each important Bodyguard skill.
  • Optimize proper skill tree selection - ✓

[*]Advance placement in healing in later levels

[*]Possible Leveling guide?

[*]Pushback information

[*]Alacrity - ✓

[*]What is that space in between ____ ____ in Skill Review.

[*]Add information about being situational - ✓

[*]Companion information

[*]Modding and you

Added To-Do Things that was done before being added to the list for being ahead of myself like usual:

1. More items in the Table of Contents
  2. Moved special mention around a little bit.
  3. Added Is healing for you?
  4. pvp and pve segregation
  5. Added Flare Gun CE

Updates:

**2/16/12** 7:58PM CST

Changed Moderate Heat per Second to 3 (old value 4) in the Heat Chart

**2/3/12/** 12:00PM CST

Added snippet, quote, and link from Chorusgirl for Rotation

Added Rotation guide

Moved the forum around since the first post hit the 5000 mark.

**1/18/12** 1:38AM CST

Added Kolto Placement information.

Edited some areas in Kolto Missile.

Updated Pre-Synopsis

Updated Skill Review

Updated Spec

**12/29/11** 1:22AM CST

Added Healing Spec

Added Stats information

Updated To-Do List

Exceeded 5000 words had to divide guide in half.

**12/28/11** 6:07PM CST

Updated Keybinds

**12/27/11** 3:30PM CST

Added information regarding Flare Gun usage.

Find the prank in here. Keeps you entertained a little. Hopefully forever and ever and ever and ever and e--

Updated some info in Standing Still

Added some info after Kolto Shell

Added Pre-Pre-Snyop-Synopsis

Added Pre-Synop-Synopsis

**12/27/11** 1:18PM CST

Added things in the To-Do List including Situational, pve and pvp segregation, companion, and modding for your weapons and armor.

**12/23/11** 3:20AM CST

Added info on Staying still.

Updated guide formatting for ease of access and eye candy.

Updated Table of Contents.

Added a couple things in Ground Placement for things coming soon.

**12/23/11** 2:10AM CST

Added Is Healing For you section.

Updated Skill Review.

Cleaned up Skill Review a little more.

Added something to To-Do List.

**12/22/11** 4:40PM CST

Update Table of Contents.

Cleaned up guide to make more presentable.

Divided the Healing section for easy determination and less strain on eyes.

Added Kolto Shell information.

Moved Special mention around.

Slight update to To-Do list.

SO MUCH TO DOOOOO

**12/20/11** 9:53PM CST

Updated some personal info in the Pre-Synopsis.

**12/20/11** 9:21PM CST

Fixed guide style format where the forum was indented too far to the right.

Reedited the graph size and added a comment at the end of the post and after the special thanks.

Updated To-Do list: latest to-dos at the end of the list.

Migrated To-Do List to this section for better management.

**12/20/11** 11:07AM CST

Updated to-do list.

Fixed minor typos.

Edited by djinnerman

I am hoping I am able to help out at least a little in broadening the healing community with some enriched healers.

I'll try to think of more things to fill in the guide as I'm dealing with sleep deprivation in working on this thing. Became my newest obsession.

Healers Unite!

Edited by djinnerman

Best formatting I have seen. Good content as well. I love the emphasis on "Keep Pressing 1".

I know you point out that SCG vents 16 heat, but I think too many people miss that. Also they use it too much as a panic button. It is not a panic button, it needs to be used frequently and between talents and "Keep pressing 1", it stacks back to 30 really fast.

Also I dont see Kolto Shell. Several people are having problems with this. They put it on the tank, the tank pulls and gets hit, Kolto Shell heals GIVING THE HEALER AGGRO, and it gets all kinds of bad from there. Put it on the tank AFTER they establish aggro.

Edited by TempestasSilva

Thank you all for the kind comments.

My main goal was to taret all players alike. Beginning or Advanced anyone can potentially learn something from new practical and/or technical information.

When I originally wrote this guide, I believe I ALMOST got all of the basic information. I believe I do know I am missing some things and they should be on my to-do list. Also, I am planning on advancing slowly to more advanced principles and possibly segragate them properly.

BTW, thank you TempestasSilva for that pointer about the Kolto Shell. I've seen a post topic about this particular incident about aggro issues and hopefully (need to level faster and slow down on the guide lol) and play with the Shell.

Edited by djinnerman

Good guide but I would like to point out a few things I (constructively) disagree with. You mention that during super charged gas to never use rapid scan, but with talents (forget the name) using healing scan lowers the heat cost of your next rapid scan. With this talent the total cost of healing scan + rapid scan is the same as a single rapid scan. Rapid scan also heals for more so its a efficient idea to follow healing with rapid.

As for the only healing never damaging i again have to disagree and say its more situational. As a lvl 31 ive found my self in many flash points and heroic quests where the tank just isnt taking much damage. While you can sit there and spam rapid shots on your tank you could just as easily hit the mob with those rapids too (and still stack csc). I feel an empty heat bar is wasted potential. Tabing over and hitting an unload is fine when everyone is topped off and you heat is empty. Obviously dont do so much as to impede your ability to heal if a burst of damage come in, but no reason to heal someone who doesnt need it just cus you like green :D. Again its situational.

Good guide but I would like to point out a few things I (constructively) disagree with. You mention that during super charged gas to never use rapid scan, but with talents (forget the name) using healing scan lowers the heat cost of your next rapid scan. With this talent the total cost of healing scan + rapid scan is the same as a single rapid scan. Rapid scan also heals for more so its a efficient idea to follow healing with rapid.

Absolutely. I just recently read somewhere in the talent tree where the Healing Scan will lower your next Rapid Scan by 16 heat making it an equal expenditure but with a more packed punch. I was contemplating in reiterating this point to make it more justifiable in that notion. Thank you so much for reminding me and I will make sure credit is due and duly noted.

As for the only healing never damaging i again have to disagree and say its more situational. As a lvl 31 ive found my self in many flash points and heroic quests where the tank just isnt taking much damage. While you can sit there and spam rapid shots on your tank you could just as easily hit the mob with those rapids too (and still stack csc). I feel an empty heat bar is wasted potential. Tabing over and hitting an unload is fine when everyone is topped off and you heat is empty. Obviously dont do so much as to impede your ability to heal if a burst of damage come in, but no reason to heal someone who doesnt need it just cus you like green :D. Again its situational.

As I mentioned aforetime, that it was situational. This guide is mainly about the idea of healing in general and the focus is to heal. Whatever individuals do afterwards is up to them. However, as you waved that green candy bar around, I admit that my guilty conscience of only seeing green has taken the better of me. As such, the implication of contributing to dps by only rapid shots may indeed help. But as I mentioned before, it also keeps up the so called "HoT" to minimize the usage of casting a Scan. Therefore keeping the target health full without expending any heat in case something goes wrong. But, like you said, situational.

I also understand my role in healing. A dps is a dps as a tank is a tank. If I was to support (unless it was to their discretion) they may object otherwise. There may be times where people may try to throw in a heal or two to help you out but for some reason that kind of irks me. Dunno why. Maybe it feels like I'm not fully doing my job or that individual doesn't have confidence in me? So I stay as a healer and refrain from damage. Part of Group Etiquette if you ask me.

Thank you for your kind comments btw.

Edited by djinnerman

Np, as i said constructive criticism and defiantly a good starting point when your lower level and getting used to the class. My first few groups all i did was heal cus thats how it was done in all the games ive played before. But Its all a mater of play style and the group your in. Ive actually been surprised at the number of times ive joined a heroic quest and wasn''t the only healer in the group. Lots of Sorc running around heh. Still as i said great guide. Lots of good info for healers on this board.

Hope you all have a very happy holidays.

I will be out of town this weekend, so the chances of updating might be low. If I get a chance to get to it, then you're in luck.

Enjoy the gift of giving, start healing today!

Thank you metalfenix. We shall see if it really is that fitting pertaining to healing!

Edited by djinnerman

I understand your opinion. However, this very comment was just recently pointed out in a few posts before this one. Also, this was mostly pure healing. If I really must, I will just add rapid shots to enemies but that will remove from the point I'm trying to make on my own.

Your main objective is to heal, your small added dps will not add a whole much as to which the other group members will. Also, damage is always going to be taken somewhere, might as well use it on that so you don't fall behind.

As was mentioned, it is situational.

I understand your opinion. However, this very comment was just recently pointed out in a few posts before this one. Also, this was mostly pure healing. If I really must, I will just add rapid shots to enemies but that will remove from the point I'm trying to make on my own.

Your main objective is to heal, your small added dps will not add a whole much as to which the other group members will. Also, damage is always going to be taken somewhere, might as well use it on that so you don't fall behind.

As was mentioned, it is situational.

In PvP it does :p

Supercharged Gas + Muzzle fluting (for hybrid mercs), = freeeee power shots. :)

In PvP it does :p

Supercharged Gas + Muzzle fluting (for hybrid mercs), = freeeee power shots. :)

Yes it sure does haha. Ill have to point out this for pvp aspect. Rockin note. Thanks for the heads up there. Forgot about pvp and pve segregation in this guide.

My $0.02:

You won't find Healing info in an Aresenal thread, even though they can and should heal in some circumstances, so why include DPS in a Bodyguard thread?

pffft.

+10 and my undying <3

As was discussing with a rl buddy of mine, he mentioned something about specializing. Being dependent on your role will allow your party members to trust your role. Being a jack-of-all-trades doesn't make you as effective as you are meant to be. My point in this is optimizing your efficiency to the best of your ability. However you want to do it, that is up to your discretion.

Now, even in pvp, I still don't do as much damage. I still heal most of the time. Only time I damage is when I try to down a player to minimize the damage on my healing target (but it really depends honestly).

Edited by djinnerman