Proposed Ranked Season Timing and Reward Changes

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Starting with Season 10 we are considering some changes to the frequency of Ranked PvP Seasons and how we structure rewards. Let’s talk about what our goals are for these changes and what we intend to change.

Goals

We have a few specific things we want to address:

• Seasons are going longer than we would like.
    • Although this gives us a lot of time to put together awesome rewards, it does mean you have to go many months within one season.

[*]Having a new Currency to collect every Season can be clunky and adds extra complexity to earning and spending currency.

[*]We have heard a continual desire to bring back prior Season rewards in a fair but accessible way.

The Proposed Changes

• Seasons will now run 3-6 months - Our goal is to be around 3 months, but timing will be determined by Game Updates.
  • Due to shorter Seasons we would adjust our Seasonal rewards
    • Seasonal bracket rewards would be reduced overall. Ex: Each Tier might receive a Stronghold Deco, Title, and Flair
    • All Seasons will now use the same type of currency
    • We would implement a permanent Ranked Rewards Vendor which we would periodically add new items to, such as mounts, armor sets, weapon sets, etc.
    • Starting at the end of Season 10 we would add Season 1’s rewards to the vendor for purchase. These items would be priced at a premium. This would mean they are available for purchase but they will be quite pricey to be fair to those who earned them at the time of the Season completing.
    • As we complete future Seasons we will continue to add prior Season rewards. Ex: We add S2 rewards as we complete S11.

These changes will keep some exclusive rewards per season tied to your rank, while allowing us to continue releasing “bigger” rewards on roughly the same cadence we did previously. This will also allow us over time to build an extensive list of goods on the vendor which keeps a greater incentive for players to continue participating throughout the Season.

TLDR – Shorter Seasons, less tiered rewards with greater rewards on a permanent vendor, start rolling old seasonal rewards on the vendor for purchase at a premium.

Let us know your thoughts!

-eric

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of slowly releasing old rewards. Most people that played the game then have left anyways so few current players even have those rewards. Even though I already have the furious weapons, many current players that were not playing then love how they look more so than any other weapon set and I’d be completely fine with them being able to acquire those. Maybe players that don’t like the current rewards but love the old rewards will be more active in ranked thus increasing the ranked population.

Very happy to hear about shorter seasons! And having same currency for all seasons is also great :)

Not sure how others will feel about previous seasons rewards to be accessible but it was kinda expected to happen especially with anniversary S10.

Overall I think all sounds really good.

YES! Giradas Rancor, cooool!

The idea of the past rewards is great! Also the fact that it will cost more is good and fair. This is definitely going the right way as the rewards before (Season 1-3) were really good!

About the season length I would rather have the 6 month than the 3 month, not everyone can play allday everyday, some have to chose what do to in their limited time whether to play ops or do ranked, but what if it doesnt pop just then? So i would rather have it 5-6 months than 3. A 3 month season favor the people who PVP all day long but the game also has other aspects that need a players attention like Conquest or a raid with the guild and friends.

Edited by merovejec

looks good to me

bringing back old stuff gated behind a steep token cost is a small price to pay in order to speed up the seasons - ranked will be much more fun with shorter seasons

Edited by yellow_

Hey folks,

The Proposed Changes

Seasons will now run 3-6 months - Our goal is to be around 3 months, but timing will be determined by Game Updates.

Thank. You..... Finally. You have no idea how disgustingly bland a 1 year long season becomes.

Due to shorter Seasons we would adjust our Seasonal rewards

• Seasonal bracket rewards would be reduced overall. Ex: Each Tier might receive a Stronghold Deco, Title, and Flair
  • We would implement a permanent Ranked Rewards Vendor which we would periodically add new items to, such as mounts, armor sets, weapon sets, etc.
  • Starting at the end of Season 10 we would add Season 1’s rewards to the vendor for purchase. These items would be priced at a premium. This would mean they are available for purchase but they will be quite pricey to be fair to those who earned them at the time of the Season completing.
  • As we complete future Seasons we will continue to add prior Season rewards. Ex: We add S2 rewards as we complete S11.

I actually don't like this. Yes, with shorter seasons we don't need big rewards. But I don't like the cumulative rate which rewards can be obtained. For example my idea:

-Each season rewards contain bracket specific flairs, titles, flags.

-Season currency is specific to each season and is obtained by playing games and placing high each season, much like how it already is, except that they are taken away after 2 seasons to remove cluttering. Ex: Season 11 tokens are taken away in Season 13, but you will still have Season 12 and 13 tokens in your inventory.

-Secondary rewards, mounts, armor sets, gear sets, crystal sets, decorations, are released sporadically for each season, but multiple secondary rewards will not be released in 1 season. Ex: Season 11 secondary rewards include a mount, whereas season 12 secondary rewards include a gear set.

-Secondary season rewards are priced at a premium, much like how it is now, requiring players to either play a high number of games to aquire the amount of tokens needed or place in a high bracket. However........

-Season currency is now legacy bound.

This does a couple things different from you're proposed changes.

1) Shorter seasons mean less rewards

2) Big rewards are sporadic

3) REWARDS ARE NOT CUMULATIVE.

Players that played in season 11 should not be able to access rewards from season 14 and vica versa. That's just the way it is. If I play in season 9, I want different rewards from players in season 10. That doesn't mean more unique rewards, just don't make rewards cumulative.

One last thought: past season rewards should not return on the market. PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING IN SEASON 14 SHOULD NOT HAVE FURIOUS GEAR. Maybe a furious reskin, but not furious gear itself. Players from season 10 should not be walking around fleet with a Season 1 Girada's Rancor. Sure a holo-rancor. But not Girada's Rancor.

Edited by septru

I would prefer not to bring back old rewards and instead release meaningful new rewards.

We haven't had "awesome" rewards since season 3... the rewards that are released are not an excuse for the length of the seasons.

The renewed focus on group content is refreshing, but this idea screams of laziness.

Edited by alexsamma

I'm honestly very disappointed to see old rewards coming back. I understand the appeal of it and the reasoning, however, I would rather see MORE enticing rewards rather than going back in time and re-granting old rewards. If we get new cool things that have a similar appeal that the s1 rancor did, or the s3 furious gear had, the incentive to get old rewards would disappear. Move forward, not backward.

Similarly, I think the point of reskins should be brought up. There are (or at least have been) replicas of some of the old gear such as the furious or victorious gear in the game available to anyone. In my opinion, this should be enough to appease those who were not playing during the first few seasons.

Again, I would like to express my opinion that I do not think it is a good idea to rehash old rewards. I think instead more thought should be put into the rewards of future seasons to make them more appealing to the community rather than simply regrant old items. The rewards for the last couple seasons have frankly been lackluster compared to other seasons. I think if we get out more UNIQUE and awesome mounts, armor sets, and weapons, crystals, etc. (not reskins) the community as a whole would be much more content.

Great plan, This is the type of QOL stuff I like to see regarding ranked rewards and such.

Shorter seasons are all a ranked player could ask for, as it drains on everybody who does ranked in this game when seasons last a year. THANK YOU xd

I like the ideas for the smaller rewards per tier granted the items we can buy at higher premiums are good quality and exclusive to pvp. Having a flair or title to display tier gained is good enough for Tier exclusive items imo.

Happy with the decision to give out old season rewards!, BUT please make sure you do not give out titles as well. Those need to stay with players who participated in the season. Otherwise there is nothing to distinguish players who earned it then and now.

Edited by Going

Please do NOT reskin old rewards. That’s an even worse idea. The idea proposed already is great and it lets those who couldn’t get these rewards in the past because of backfillers, wintraders, and exploiters have a chance of actually getting them. And speaking of wintraders and exploiters...

WHAT ARE YOUR PROPOSALS ON DEALING WITH THEM?!

Edited by Talon_strikes

Love the idea of making the seasons (much) shorter!

And all the same currency sounds great! Having many different currencies didn't made much sense if you asked me.

Also it sounds like a great idea to add previous season rewards to the vendor. but make the mounts/armor sets, etc -very- expensive as they should stay exclusive.

I'm honestly very disappointed to see old rewards coming back. I understand the appeal of it and the reasoning, however, I would rather see MORE enticing rewards rather than going back in time and re-granting old rewards. If we get new cool things that have a similar appeal that the s1 rancor did, or the s3 furious gear had, the incentive to get old rewards would disappear. Move forward, not backward.

Similarly, I think the point of reskins should be brought up. There are (or at least have been) replicas of some of the old gear such as the furious or victorious gear in the game available to anyone. In my opinion, this should be enough to appease those who were not playing during the first few seasons.

Again, I would like to express my opinion that I do not think it is a good idea to rehash old rewards. I think instead more thought should be put into the rewards of future seasons to make them more appealing to the community rather than simply regrant old items. The rewards for the last couple seasons have frankly been lackluster compared to other seasons. I think if we get out more UNIQUE and awesome mounts, armor sets, and weapons, crystals, etc. (not reskins) the community as a whole would be much more content.

I agree with some of your ideas, especially the "unique armor ect. I think it's safe to say we will not be getting unique items such as these in bulk. I'm assuming we will get a unique mount one season armor the next, and so on with weapons. With that being said we will still get some "unique" items along with old season items for people who never got a chance or didn't earn it then. Both methods are giving folks incentive to participate which is great, so that i why i support this.

Love the idea of making the seasons (much) shorter!

And all the same currency sounds great! Having many different currencies didn't made much sense if you asked me.

Also it sounds like a great idea to add previous season rewards to the vendor. but make the mounts/armor sets, etc -very- expensive as they should stay exclusive.

Knowing Keith, these old rewards will be a grind to get in terms of expensive. :rak_03:

I have no problem with that though xd

It's honestly pathetic that you would even consider giving out old rewards again. People earned them within that time period. They are a mark of prestige to show that the player achieved a certain skill level within that particular season.

Giving them out again completely devalues their worth, even if they are priced at a ridiculous rate.

Sometimes it honestly feels like you guys have no idea what makes these items appealing in your own game, let alone other MMOs.

Edited by micnevv

It's honestly pathetic that you would even consider giving out old rewards again. People earned them within that time period. They are a mark of prestige to show that the player achieved a certain skill level within that particular season.

Giving them out again completely devalues their worth, even if they are priced at a ridiculous rate.

Sometimes it honestly feels like you guys have no idea what makes these items appealing in your own game, let alone other MMOs.

Disgraceful to older players. Furious reskin maybe, but don't release the same furious gear.

Hey folks,

Starting with Season 10 we are considering some changes to the frequency of Ranked PvP Seasons and how we structure rewards. Let’s talk about what our goals are for these changes and what we intend to change.

Goals

We have a few specific things we want to address:

• Seasons are going longer than we would like.
    • Although this gives us a lot of time to put together awesome rewards, it does mean you have to go many months within one season.

[*]Having a new Currency to collect every Season can be clunky and adds extra complexity to earning and spending currency.

[*]We have heard a continual desire to bring back prior Season rewards in a fair but accessible way.

The Proposed Changes

• Seasons will now run 3-6 months - Our goal is to be around 3 months, but timing will be determined by Game Updates.
  • Due to shorter Seasons we would adjust our Seasonal rewards

These changes will keep some exclusive rewards per season tied to your rank, while allowing us to continue releasing “bigger” rewards on roughly the same cadence we did previously. This will also allow us over time to build an extensive list of goods on the vendor which keeps a greater incentive for players to continue participating throughout the Season.

TLDR – Shorter Seasons, less tiered rewards with greater rewards on a permanent vendor, start rolling old seasonal rewards on the vendor for purchase at a premium.

Let us know your thoughts!

-eric

can you explain more what this means:Seasonal bracket rewards would be reduced overall. Ex: Each Tier might receive a Stronghold Deco, Title, and Flair.

I dont like the idea of making gold/silver flairs to be easily obtainable...rewards must feel REwarding. I mean people must tryhard for better flair/other rewards. This season getting gold tier (1750) was very easy...many who didnt tryharded managed to get 1750 lol. SO pls make sure next season wont be so easy to get gold rewards. Otherwise, people wont have any incentives to play hard and get rating.

Eric,

Shorter seasons? Yes, everyone wants that. You’ve made a similar post in the past that never materialized so we’ll see if the devs execute on their intention this time.

One currency? Yes, easy QoL improvement, and the credit conversion rate is so meager that unused tokens are essentially worthless right now.

Releasing old rewards? I am strongly opposed to this. You’ll get support from newer players who weren’t around 5 years ago to earn the rewards, that’s obvious and predictable. I’ll give you a different perspective.

Ranked rewards are a time stamp on a player’s accomplishments at a specific period in the history of the game.. Someone who has Girrada’s rancor, furious gear, or any of the early season top 3 titles earned them during the golden period of competition for Swtor ranked, particularly in regards to solo ranked.

No amount of a premium on token cost preserves the rightful exclusivity of these rewards. A player receiving s-1-4 rewards in season 10+ is an anachronism. You’ll take the rewards out of context, out of their time period of competition while ironically making them near- worthless. When everyone has a Ferrari, no one cares that you have a Ferrari.

My biggest concern is that you haven’t been clear on whether top 3 titles will be re-released.

I have every top 3 sniper and/or gunslinger title in the game, every ranked reward including Warzone Annihlator titles from 8v8 ranked. The title most special to me is All-Galaxy. I got that title on two characters when ranked was highly competitive and it’s a title most acknowledge as the best of the bunch. All-Galaxy means that I’ve been around competitive ranked for half a decade, and I fought with/against a specific set of talented players during a vastly different meta. None of those are true if you rerelease the title in a season so far removed from its history.

It would be like winning the World Cup in 2018 and receiving a trophy that says 2006. Different players, different time.

People often forget that aside from having the best top 3 title, season 2 had by far the worst rewards. A stronghold deco, some color crystals, and a helmet that looks like a squid is attached to your face. The dev team is going to feel pressure to acknowledge season 2 rewards by themselves aren’t something to chase. They’ll look at what these they could offer, and remember that All-Galaxy is S-2 and it could be a great reward to increase activity while removing the reason people lust after it in the first place. I hope they resist that detrimental compulsion.

Edited by EnzoForMe