Maintenance: January 29th, 2019

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Tuesday, January 29th for maintenance. This is for back-end updates only, there will not be a patch to download.

Details:

DATE: 29 January 2019

TIME: 4:00AM - 10:00AM PST (1200 - 1800 GMT)

VERSION: N/A

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I wanted to jump in quick for some extra details, I know many of you will look a Tuesday's 6-hour maintenance with no patch and be curious what is up. Especially since we have had a few like this lately.

Over the past couple of months we have been doing a variety of hardware upgrades in our datacenters. Extended maintenances, like next week's, are specifically for when we are replacing critical hardware. We need to build in extra time as we will be going through extensive testing as a part of these upgrades. Having extended time also lowers the risk of having to extend the overall maintenance time as well.

We try to minimize long hours of downtime but ultimately these upgrades offer better overall stability to the game in the long term. We appreciate your patience and hopefully... we are almost through this round of extended back-end maintenance.

Thanks all!

-eric

Hey folks,

I wanted to jump in quick for some extra details, I know many of you will look a Tuesday's 6-hour maintenance with no patch and be curious what is up. Especially since we have had a few like this lately.

Over the past couple of months we have been doing a variety of hardware upgrades in our datacenters. Extended maintenances, like next week's, are specifically for when we are replacing critical hardware. We need to build in extra time as we will be going through extensive testing as a part of these upgrades. Having extended time also lowers the risk of having to extend the overall maintenance time as well.

We try to minimize long hours of downtime but ultimately these upgrades offer better overall stability to the game in the long term. We appreciate your patience and hopefully... we are almost through this round of extended back-end maintenance.

Thanks all!

-eric

Would you guys be able to share any light on these hardware upgrades, perhaps reasons for upgrade etc?

I just hope you realize how much this interferes with those of us who use the 9:00 am time to get screen prints for Conquest. Would it be possible to do this on another day? Perhaps change the hours for Conquest to give us time before you start the new planet selection at 10:00 am?

Thanks for all your hard work to keep things running, but sometimes it messes up things in other ways. Don't worry I still love you guys.

I just hope you realize how much this interferes with those of us who use the 9:00 am time to get screen prints for Conquest. Would it be possible to do this on another day? Perhaps change the hours for Conquest to give us time before you start the new planet selection at 10:00 am?

Thanks for all your hard work to keep things running, but sometimes it messes up things in other ways. Don't worry I still love you guys.

It was stupid and absolutely uncalled for (and ignorant regarding player's needs) to get rid of the 24 h downtime of conquest anyway. It was perfectly fine before. Whoever brought that change forward didn't put much thought into this.

Just the incapabilty to not mess up the conquest on Tuesday's downtime was not enough reason to make that stupid change.

Edited by Khaleg

Bonjour tout le monde !

Les serveurs seront hors ligne le 29 janvier 2018 afin de mettre à jour les bases de données. Vu qu'il n'y a aucun changement au niveau du client du jeu, aucun numéro de version, ni aucun téléchargement, ne sera associé à cette maintenance.

Détails :

DATE : 29 janvier 2018

HEURE : 1300h (heure de Paris) à 1900h (heure de Paris)

VERSION : N/A

Merci de votre patience pendant la maintenance de Star Wars™ : The Old Republic™ !

I believe that the new year has also begun in France.

Incorrect: "29 janvier 2018"

Correct: "29 janvier 2019"

Why always do maintenance on tuesday? You cannot pick the worst day imo as it interferes with conquest so much. What harm would it do to move it forward by one day and always do maintenance on wednesday?

Or maybe the entire game doesn't revolve around Conquest? I mean, the server maintenance has always traditionally fell around APAC prime time even when there was a significant community there- it also affects the European players. They choose the time easiest for them to the least harm and we all have to live with it, regardless how much you want to complain about how it 'hurts your conquest' for them to keep the game running.

That's one of the things I don't mind paying a subscription for- not for them to create new issues to cater to Conquest losing, like the rest of us, six hours.

Hey folks,

Thanks all!

-eric

Ok, thanks! Can you guys also end pvp season since team ranked died and almost all skilled players already got their ratings in solo ranked so it is full of mat farmers

When are we finally getting a heads up about the ultimate garbage abomination of a gearing system you have released???

Maybe return to mods and enhancements not bound to slot??? Maybe let people actually choose what they want from the weekly Ossus 252 piece instead of EA forced lootboxes???? Maybe let us upgrade pieces we dont need to actual pieces we want like the previous system???? Maybe say **** you corporate ******** ******es and get rid of lootboxes????

EDIT:

Oh no cause the statistics guy will say HEY GUISE PEOPLE ARE DOING THIS CONTENT SO MUCH THEY MUST LIKE IT LOLOLOLOL RELEASE MORE ****BOXES PEOPLE HAVE OPENED SO MUCH OF THEM THEY ARE AMAZING

Edited by DarthYun

Hey folks,

Thanks all!

-eric

Will we see any improvement in the game or the performance from this or does Anthem use the same sites and this is more for those servers than the SWTOR ones?

I know that comes off as Tin Foil hat like, but with what appears to be a drop in player numbers, many bugs going ignored for long periods; and what can at best be described as little solely group orientated content for the foreseeable future, what has promoted these long updates. It surely doesn't appear to be to accommodate the influx of players.

Edited by Costello

Hey folks,

Thanks all!

-eric

I don't suppose there is any chance of one of those data centres being relocated to California like it was before? Would like to return to playing this game again but with the current server lag it aint happening.

Edited by Yeldah_

I hope others realize that their inconvenience is minor compared to a game's hardware becoming decrepit and useless over time. Someone will always be inconvenienced some way, some how, for any outage, regardless of the time window.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Will we see any improvement in the game or the performance from this or does Anthem use the same sites and this is more for those servers than the SWTOR ones?

I know that comes off as Tin Foil hat like, but with what appears to be a drop in player numbers, many bugs going ignored for long periods; and what can at best be described as little solely group orientated content for the foreseeable future, what has promoted these long updates. It surely doesn't appear to be to accommodate the influx of players.

The only logical reason I can see for needing hardware upgrades for SWTOR is there's another round of server consolidation about to happen.

Because as you said, it can't be to accommodate the player influx, because there hasn't been one - there's been an exodus because of yet another borked gearing grind.

All The Best

I'm not sure why a few of you feel the need to argue that running maintenance and patches on the day CQ ends is a good thing or at least not a bad thing. There are many combinations of CQ/Maintenance that don't cause problems but one of the decision makers decided to pick the combo that does.

The original problem with CQ ending on Monday nights was that when a patch got screwed up on the Tuesdays it meant people did not get CQ rewards and customer services got inundated with tickets so they moved the end time to Tuesday. That did not solve the problem as people still regularly do not get CQ rewards. I know this first hand since I have to keep giving my guild members screenshots to prove their weekly scores to customer services.

So the "solution" did not fix the problem and instead led to two new problems:

1) We have one hour to do the CQ scoring

2) When maintenance overruns we have no time to do the scoring

The current workaround is that we have to do the CQ scoring on Monday nights which is lame since people still earn points overnight and into Tuesday morning and they don't get credit for that. It also means some of us tend to do 2 rounds of scoring, one on Monday night and another on Tuesday if Lord Ptach decides not to break things. Personally I record the panel with OBS on Monday night and then if there is a patch scheduled for Tuesday and I am working at home I do another recording on Tuesday morning and then if the maintenance does not overrun I do a 3rd recording in the 1 hour Tuesday evening window. Depending how the servers go I pick the most up to date recording and do the scoring from that. Having it recorded also means I can easily take and upload screenshots of the scores for individual guild members when Ptach decides that CQ rewards will not be granted.

The new panel that shows the top 10 character scores for the current week and previous week has been broken since it was added and even if it worked it is only per-character, not per-legacy which is how a lot of guilds do the scoring. We've been able to get the individual character scores since CQ first launched just by changing one of the customisable columns in the roster panel.

We could switch our rewards to the top 10 single character scores but that will demotivate people from running activities on multiple characters plus it means one person could theoretically take all 10 of the spots which means the wealth gets spread around less.

It's fine for people to say "the game doesn't revolve around CQ" but at the same time that does not mean that the decision to limit scoring to a frequently unusable time window was a good one or that it should not be changed. If you're one of the people that doesn't care about CQ then moving the scoring cut-off back to Monday nights will for the most part not affect you.

Edited by UlaVii

Realy? restarting servers in the 21.th centruries are taking 6 hours? :D And ofc in prime time in EU? why not doing this at midnight? This was always been unacceptable from teh player base, So change the time periods. Here it is: USA 0:00- 06:00 am, EU the same in Central time. So hard to do that... and this game requier subscripbtion? while you cant play in prime time? :D thats a fing joke Eric. Do something about thiese schedule please. Or just give the IP to another company who can actualy dealing with this in porper ways, not like you.

Any chance this will fix the Ossus Reputation Outfit being broken on Consulars? I mean we've been waiting a fair while now.

Not likely since this was just maintenance and there was no update to download. The soonest we're likely to see a fix for that, or any other issue, will be with patch 5.10.1, which should be released sometime in the next few weeks since the last refresh for 5.10.1 on the PTS was just released recently.

Team, good job on the maintenance. In my experience with hardware upgrades they either fall into "smooth as butter" or "can I just shoot this thing" territory.

Edited by ceryxp

Over the past couple of months we have been doing a variety of hardware upgrades in our datacenters. Extended maintenances, like next week's, are specifically for when we are replacing critical hardware.

Are you moving the servers again?