Swtor cinematics were better than the SW movies

Macetheace

and i feel the same about force unleashed. or am i the only one that feels that?

Look at the fight scenes and some of the scenery.. that Alderaan invasion.. both before invasion and after looked more amazing than anything I'd seen on star wars, although Coruscant was pretty amazing on Star Wars.

you never see coruscant in ep 4-6 right? Oh Bioware..what happened? This game was on the brink of epic greatness.. maybe you should go into a TV series based in the old republic.. that sort of artwork was so impressive.

you can´t possibly refer to the ingame cutscenes, you mean the CGI trailers right?

because I miss some minor side aspect of cinematography in SWTOR cutscenes called -- "camera movement"

I meant the CGI trailers -- they should really commission a TV series set in the old republic - man with the right writers, it would be a MASSIVE HIT

SWTOR cinematics are better because the SW movies where made in the 70s. Even ep III was made a little under a decade ago, that centuries in CGI development.

it's not just the tech.. the fight scenes were pretty cool, and I loved the action fighting in the cinematics,

it's not just the tech.. the fight scenes were pretty cool, and I loved the action fighting in the cinematics,

Fight scenes are directly related to tech. Backflipping through the air with a double ended lightsaber wasnt possible back then. Heck it wasn't until episode three that they finally figured out how to make lightsabers that the actors didn't break every other shoot.

Fight scenes are directly related to tech. Backflipping through the air with a double ended lightsaber wasnt possible back then. Heck it wasn't until episode three that they finally figured out how to make lightsabers that the actors didn't break every other shoot.

makes me wonder why we can't have some of those cool moves in-game too.. tbh one of the things that attract me most to a video game or even movies is cool action. translates to animations. Characters need to look good visually, and also move great, fight great..the cooler the animations, the cooler I find a game. it's one of hte mos tattractive elements.

not that I expect it to be soon... anyway.. it's been quite a few years since the trailers for SWTOR...surely that sort of thing has become cheaper now, enough so they can do a series right? Would beat the hell out of Defiance for sure.

makes me wonder why we can't have some of those cool moves in-game too.. tbh one of the things that attract me most to a video game or even movies is cool action. translates to animations. Characters need to look good visually, and also move great, fight great..the cooler the animations, the cooler I find a game. it's one of hte mos tattractive elements.

You will probably never see that kind of action in games. The fight sequences for the trailers are all choreographed fights. They are designed so one end of one stunt flows into the next, however the order is set. In a videogame the player is going to do whatever they want, you can't have choreographed fight moves. Like back flipped over Malgus's head. That can't be a game ability because what if the player is fighting someone next to a wall or under a bridge?

not that I expect it to be soon... anyway.. it's been quite a few years since the trailers for SWTOR...surely that sort of thing has become cheaper now, enough so they can do a series right? Would beat the hell out of Defiance for sure.

Money isn't the issue time is. Lets say you want a shot of a laser blowing out the center of a tree. For standard on location filming its easy, just take a tree bore a hole in it, put in some explosive, record shot of explosion, draw laser over the footage.

In CGI they have to first create the entire tree, then they have to create each little splinter create a algorithm for the explosion itself. Then they have to figure out how to make all those shards explode out in a realistic manner. Oh and the leaves on the tree...do you realize how much of a nightmare stuff blowing in the wind is for CGI?

It takes to much time over conventional means. SWTOR's art team probably spent as much time doing the cinematics has a it takes to film a standard TV episode, and swtor's cinematics are only 5 mins long...

and i feel the same about force unleashed. or am i the only one that feels that?

Look at the fight scenes and some of the scenery.. that Alderaan invasion.. both before invasion and after looked more amazing than anything I'd seen on star wars, although Coruscant was pretty amazing on Star Wars.

you never see coruscant in ep 4-6 right? Oh Bioware..what happened? This game was on the brink of epic greatness.. maybe you should go into a TV series based in the old republic.. that sort of artwork was so impressive.

Totally agree. The cinematics were all amazing.

I really hope they make more, it really gets people into the game (Though I accept they cost alotta $$$).

When you say the game was on the brink of epic greatness I think people sometimes get lost in to MMO side, gearing, WZ's Ops etc, and forget about the levelling experience through the planets and watch the class stories unfold.

Best game I've ever played.

You will probably never see that kind of action in games. The fight sequences for the trailers are all choreographed fights. They are designed so one end of one stunt flows into the next, however the order is set. In a videogame the player is going to do whatever they want, you can't have choreographed fight moves. Like back flipped over Malgus's head. That can't be a game ability because what if the player is fighting someone next to a wall or under a bridge?

Money isn't the issue time is. Lets say you want a shot of a laser blowing out the center of a tree. For standard on location filming its easy, just take a tree bore a hole in it, put in some explosive, record shot of explosion, draw laser over the footage.

In CGI they have to first create the entire tree, then they have to create each little splinter create a algorithm for the explosion itself. Then they have to figure out how to make all those shards explode out in a realistic manner. Oh and the leaves on the tree...do you realize how much of a nightmare stuff blowing in the wind is for CGI?

It takes to much time over conventional means. SWTOR's art team probably spent as much time doing the cinematics has a it takes to film a standard TV episode, and swtor's cinematics are only 5 mins long...

The videos were outsourced, see above. Also with a sufficiently well designed physics simulation, something like a tree explosion is pretty easy. Take a look at some of the new Unreal Engine demos, or other tech demos that feature level/object destruction.

Also, take a look at

. It shows how creating good CGI is becoming easier and easier. Something like the trailers however would still take a good deal of work, and I'm not sure it would be easy enough yet to put out that quality quick enough to sustain a TV show.

If you guys are looking for CGI Star Wars, you should watch The Clone Wars. Yeah, first seasons are wooden, but the evolution of the visuals (and script and everything) is AMAZING. For example look at this fight scene, almost as epic as SWTOR trailers:

And they are making new show called Star Wars Rebels (release set to Fall 2014) and I'm sure it will look even better.

The videos were outsourced, see above. Also with a sufficiently well designed physics simulation, something like a tree explosion is pretty easy. Take a look at some of the new Unreal Engine demos, or other tech demos that feature level/object destruction.

Also, take a look at

. It shows how creating good CGI is becoming easier and easier. Something like the trailers however would still take a good deal of work, and I'm not sure it would be easy enough yet to put out that quality quick enough to sustain a TV show.

This is basically the same technology used to film Avatar - i was hoping they would take advantage of what was done with that movie.

This is basically the same technology used to film Avatar - i was hoping they would take advantage of what was done with that movie.

Really? How? It's not the same. Lucasfilm is rendering scenes in REAL LIFE, Avatar needed A LOT of post-production.

Really? How? It's not the same. Lucasfilm is rendering scenes in REAL LIFE, Avatar needed A LOT of post-production.

Certainly, rendering in real time is new - to an extent - but the concept was the same.

Actors in suites were filmed acting out the scenes on a sounds stage (including filming facial expressions with a camera mounted on a mini boom in front of their face) which was captured in a computer during filming duplicating human movement both of the body and facial expressions exactly.

They had computers on stage so they could see what they filmed rendered in CGI on the spot. The environment on the computer was not perfected, and you are right there was a lot of post production to refine the world they created - but they did have an idea immediately after filming if they had captured what they wanted by viewing the computers . It was an incredible technology that actually delayed the film a while because it took them some time to perfect it.

I'm not trying to diminish what lucasarts is doing, just saying its an extension of the same technology.

• 3 months later...

I don't think they are better. They are like trailers. Trailers are most of the time more interesting than the movie itself because that's what they are made for. They show you what you can look foreward to and that packed into a few minutes.

If you make a action trailer with the scenes from the star wars movies i am shure you will get better results.

The one trailers i really like though is the one with the smuggler because it has more to it than just action.

And i am shure, and this is something we should look foreward to, that we will be able to play games that come close to the dramaturgy and quality of the trailers of todeay. VR, better graphics better AI and physics. I hope the star wars ip is ready when the next big leap in gaming will be done and i think we are closer to it than we can imagine.

Edited by chuuuuucky

I thought the Blur made cinematics were fantastic. Unfortunately, each one costs in the realm of 10 million for one that short. It would not be economical to make a series with that level of quality.

Are you freaking serious on that estimate?

Indeed I am.

It seems quite high, but I suppose it's possibly due to EA being optimistic about the product in 2010 and willing to pay for overages.

These days, it's pretty common to see SFX hours using sub-contractors, and when the project goes over budget to say, "sorry, there's no more money, and we can't pay you what we owe until you finish the project anyway."

I would be surprised if someone could get away with charging 10 million for a trailer short like that today, even one as good as the ones Blur did. There are too many SFX houses desperate for work that will undercut each other to bloody shreds. Even ILM is feeling pressure.

Edited by Khevar