Is SWTOR dying?

Turlinde

People will never stop qqing... My server ToFN is great we have 300-350 players on each fleet during peek times and around 200 at other times... In a group of 4 queing we only have to wait 5 mins tops...

SWTOR Isn't dieng people are playing on other servers or being crybabys about something silly like they can't kill an opponent

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

generic stat posting makes it better.

i have a hexacore i7 myself (@3.06 Ghz) and I had framerate problems till i updated my EFI bootloader.

The CPU was throttling because the motherboard chipset is set, by default, to throttle the CPU at a stupidly low voltage and heat load.

updated my EFI and i havent dropped below 60fps (with Vsync enabled) once, since, even on Illum. (and im not running a stupidly overpriced 7970, either - just a middle of the road 5870)

Posting random specs doesnt even tell 10% of the story of whats going on in your computer.

Try being a little less ignorant. Itll do wonders for your quality of life.

Yea I know can't really post the spec when I'm not at home to get them but here is a quote from BW:

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP/Vista/7

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB

PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card:

ATI X1800 or better*

nVidia 7800 or better*

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

DVD-ROM:

8x or better

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

That is all that is required to play SW on low settings I'm pretty damn sure my machine meets those requirements by about 100 fold, but for me to go through and update everything do everything BW tells me to to get my fps and nothing works sorry not my problem its there end that needs fixing. The fact that the engine isn't even running DX 11 should be a clear sign that they are failing somewhere.

PS: the fact that I can play Skyrim, WoW (which doesn't really count), Crysis on high settings and not have a problem at all shows that it probably is BW fault and not so much mine. So like you said Try being a little less ignorant. Itll do wonders for your quality of life. :)

Edited by Conveit

i am saying that, yes, this game has acceptable end game content...or at least as much as i expected it to have

you sir, have no idea what it take to make a game on this scale and i suggest you keep quite because of that

Well iv bin playing MMO since 97, I have a very good idea what it takes. Pve is ok for a fresh new game. Its more then most get at the start.

PvP is complete fail. War, rift, AoC (balance) , many more and soon to be SWTOR. All failed.

Ask your self what SWTOR can do to stop from joining that list.

As if they don't do something they will be on it.

Say no all you like, so did the war, rift, AoC , and all the others. It didn't help them as the games died any way but your welcome to say we k.ow nothing.

Good luck with that.

How about grabbing your buddies and/or guild and rerolling republic? Ta DA! Problem solved!

Oh no, wait - then you wouldnt be able to post drivel about something YOU are part responsible for and could help fix.

Because I had tons of time when release (Xmas days off work) I put many many hours into my char that I love, Valor 64 is hard when only 30 people pvp at lvl 50 (This might be an overshot)

I should not be punished for randomly picking the WRONG pvp server that is dying badly, please come to Tott Doneeta BW, and put in bots or something to pvp. Xserver or Server Group ques would help tons

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna play anymore. Even though I have a bunch of friends playing, the PvP content just isn't fun. The main PvP content in this game is quick-match mini-games, and I find that concept completely underwhelming. There's no persistent open-world pvp, no risk/reward, no siege type events, no territory control. There's just nothing to fight over. You just stand in a virtual line for your turn to play a mini-game that has no effect on the game world whatsoever. It feels like such a waste of an RPG world.

Ilum doesn't count as open-world PvP, it's actually the saddest PvP zone I've ever seen. I can't tell ya how bummed out I was when I got to Ilum and watched a dozen or so people drive around in endless circles.

I don't even see anything exciting on the horizon, just announcements of a new mini-game, and rated mini-games.

Edited by Archendrus

PvP is what you make of it. There's plenty of ways to go make the other faction crazy by taking over a town or questing area.

Infinite Empire has some pretty fun pvp going on. Queues aren't bad at all. The empire used to rule the roost but some up and coming Republic guilds are making things interesting.

If you want to go where the numbers are go Empire. If you want zero wait time queues and organized WZs / world pvp go Republic on Infinite Empire.

Actually, it is, not the /who in the fleet...but xfire.

To get a rough average you need a large sum of data. That data could range from 100 (very rough) to 1,000,000 (very accurate) as long as it isn't all collected from one geographic location.

Xfire is not restricted to a singular geographic location, ethnicity or financial class, and while it may not be 100% accurate, using the data obtained from xfire is valid. It's the same as polling 1000 people from 50 states breaking each state into 10 sections and polling 100 people from each of the 10 sections. His data doesn't include everyone, but it gives you a rather rough, but valid idea of what is happening to SWTOR.

It's not really the same thing. There's an actual science to polls, none of which was included in his biased opinion article.

It's a representation of what xfire users are doing and nothing more. A lot of people don't use xfire....hell a lot of people don't even know what xfire is. Has the population declined since launch? Absolutely. Is it going to continue losing subs in the short term? Yup. But basing the rate of loss or anything other than data specific to xfire users is silly.

WoW it's what, nearly 10 years old? About time it's going to die (i'm not making a wishful tought, only a statement).

And it's not when one or two threads of this sort appear from time to time: here people are asking if the game is dead almost in every section, for every reason, in every moment.

I'm not saying "they should have done this or that", there're other topics for that, i'm just making an observation: a lot of people non appeased by the content (from pvp to pve, going into romantic involvment and such), so considering that we have already payed A LOT for this game (and you have to keep paying for playing), i think players are leaving for better shores.

My 2 cents.

The fact that the engine isn't even running DX 11 should be a clear sign that they are failing somewhere.

Why? More than half of the potential market for this game are running computers that dont support Direct X 11. Why would they lock themselves out of that market?

PS: the fact that I can play Skyrim, WoW (which doesn't really count), Crysis on high settings and not have a problem at all shows that it probably is BW fault and not so much mine. So like you said Try being a little less ignorant. Itll do wonders for your quality of life. :)

Single Player Games != MMOs.

Skyrim never displays more than dozen models on the screen - there is no predictive pathing being done by the CPU and GPU, neither does Crysis. The CPU overhead for those games is miniscule (both are heavily GPU bound, EVERY MMO on the market is heavily CPU bound).

Your computer beating the minimum specs doesn't mean anything. What kind of third party bloatware do you have installed (for one of my friends, Daemon Tools was causing massive CPU overhead because he was an idiot and hadnt updated in forever and something about the old version caused CPU use constantly)? Is your EFI or BIOS up to date? Are the settings in said EFI and/or BIOS optimized for gameplay?

You cant generalize.

Ive got a friend who owns and operates a cybercafe/rental business. He's got 32 PCs. They are all identical. the 33rd PC, also identical, is his personal machine. I mean identical. Exact same hardware, ordered at the exact same time, assembled by the exact same three people all at once. Same software (drives were cloned, ffs).

They all run SWTOR fine.

His personal machine has framerate issues... because he's got it loaded down with 3rd party software that he just has to have. We're talking 40 processes on the cafe machines to over 100 on his.

Edumacate yerself.

WoW it's what, nearly 10 years old? About time it's going to die (i'm not making a wishful tought, only a statement).

And it's not when one or two threads of this sort appear from time to time: here people are asking if the game is dead almost in every section, for every reason, in every moment.

I'm not saying "they should have done this or that", there're other topics for that, i'm just making an observation: a lot of people non appeased by the content (from pvp to pve, going into romantic involvment and such), so considering that we have already payed A LOT for this game (and you have to keep paying for playing), i think players are leaving for better shores.

My 2 cents.

And the WoW forums have been like that since the launch of Burning Crusade. The forums - every sub forum, all the way down to realm forums - were filled, and are to this day, w i th "WoW is dying" posts.

Not that i matters.. like 2-5% of the population even goes to the forums - ever.

And the WoW forums have been like that since the launch of Burning Crusade. The forums - every sub forum, all the way down to realm forums - were filled, and are to this day, w i th "WoW is dying" posts.

Not that i matters.. like 2-5% of the population even goes to the forums - ever.

This, so much. Check the WoW Forums: "game is dying" "nerf this, nerf that" "Blizzard has a clear Horde bias!". The game is doing very well still...

Check the Magic the Gathering forum (only the biggest and most successful trading card game ever): "Game id dying" "this card is soooo overpowered!" "I hate standard, you destroyed it!"

Forums are pretty much the abyss of communication. People who love playing the game usually don't come here and post about it, but those vocal few who want to vent heat do.

My experience at the moment is that this game is far from dying. My Guild is always talking to eachother and logging on daily to level alts or do HM's in guild groups. Also, i have had countless hilarious conversations and arguments over General Chat on nearly all of the Planets - not including the arguments about JarJarBinks that i seem to keep having on the fleet.

To have a great experience or to create a good MMO Community for SWTOR you actually have to DO some work - ask people questions, join in conversations, accept all HC invites. You guys want this sense of "Community" to be handed to you on a plate, even though you probably arent even making an effort to talk to anyone.

Want a Community? Make one.

Source for those numbers?

- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+

-

What server did you play on, I play republic on terentatek and We never ever ever ever had 150 let alone 200+ you must be imperial.

Most of the day republic fleet is 35-45

WTB Republic re-roll incentives. Imbalance!!!

Source for those numbers?

Blizzard Entertainment.

There was a fairly big thread of people complaining that Blizzard never listened to the forums, and they were evil and stupid and the usual stuff, and ... Tigerclaw, who no longer works there, posted the actual forum metrics.

Less than 5% of active WoW Accounts (it wasnt merged with Bnet back then) had ever posted so much as a single post on the forums, ever.

The number who p osted a second post, ever, went down below 2%.

The numbers are pretty universal when it comes to large games and their forum communities.

i play early hours normally just after i finish work and where ever i go there are always poeple playing in numbers.

i quit WoW this week after 6 years and that game is dead where as this is quite lively, i intend to recommend it to my old WoW buddies :)

Of course the population is dropping (contrary to what the 2008/2009 fanbois will tell you), and when gw2/tera/secret world/d3/etc are out and it will plummet even further.

you'd have to be brain dead to not notice the population decreasing:

- server queues are gone

- most servers are light/std now instead of full/very heavy

- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+

- wz queues taking longer to pop

- fp groups harder to find

- less items on markets

- most friends in the friends list are "offline"

- where have all out guildies gone?

- etc

If they actually had 2 million subscribers just after launch when all the servers had queues and we had 230+ on the fleet in prime times i'd say it's pretty obvious we've already lost at least 1/3 of those 2 million subscribers, probably closer to half.

the ea quarterly shareholder statement in may will reveal the truth, they can't lie in that.

This, my guild is gone, 3 ppl online max, I would like them to merge some servers now.

For those of you with no desire to read a wall of text, he's basically that old guy saying "back in my day we didn't have this"

Well guess what, those days are GONE. WoW has been king for SEVEN YEARS. This game is essentially WoW. It's 2012. Why should we have low expectations from a genre that is getting bigger and bigger? Why should we expect it to be so far below even WoW's quality, especially after SIX YEARS of development? The game is essentially WoW but with less content, fewer features etc. MMO blockbuster? Really? The game is LOSING subs, not gaining them. This game is nothing special, it's a generic clone. Thus far the devs have done nothing to inspire confidence.

Baloney, not to pick on you personally, but what is it with people that have the arrogance to think that just because they feel a certain way everyone that doesn't agree is not just wrong, but an idiot?

I've played WoW since release and still have my accounts. I've also played AION, Warhammer, LoTR, and a number of other over the years.

1. Every MMO (you can easily look up the statistics) loses subs after the initial surge. If they are good then after 4-6 months they gradually start picking up subs, we aren't there yet. So it is hard to tell whether it will succeed or fail in the long run. I don't know, but if they continue to fix issues and add content my personal feeling is it will most likely succeed.

2. By any measure SWTOR has had the most successful subscription MMO launch in history. Two million sales, 1.7 Million active subscriptions as of the last Quarterly report, a couple of weeks ago.

3. XFire may or may not be a valid way of measuring success for an MMO. I have my doubts. I had heard of XFire, but in 8+ years of playing MMOs have never used it. I asked in my WoW guild, one of the oldest on our server, and while a few had heard of it, none use it in WoW. Nor has it been used in any of the raiding guilds I've been in over 7+ years. We use vent and now Skype for personal communications. It is probably a better measure for pure PvP games and FPS games.

4. "Most People don't like the leveling experience" - Really? I do and even the most critical analysts give a plus to the voice acting and the class leveling experience.

5. "People that joined early are Star Wars Fanbois" - I joined early and I normally prefer Fantasy/D&D type MMOs and don't like the Science Fiction genre. But here I am, sill playing and enjoying SWTOR and while I still have my WoW accounts I seldom even log into WoW anymore.

6. "WoW is still better" - Well that is an opinion. I don't happen to agree and I do still log into WoW from time to time and belong to a raiding guild. But here I am, still playing SWTOR.

Edited by Erasimus