Why is there a DS/LS system at all?

Phaedrynn

It would seem to me that a LS Sith is a Jedi, and a DS Jedi is a Sith (don't even get me started on non-force users having LS/DS ratings).

LS/DS should NOT be a separate system from faction. It should determine faction. If I play as a dual light saber wielding ****** and my DS/LS is decidedly on the "Dark" side, I am Imperial/Sith. If, on the other hand, it is LS I am Republic/Jedi. How can Bioware possibly justify a Sith Warrior that is Light 5 and running around with "The Pure" title on?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can unlock different Relics as you go. That's my best guess, anyhow.

Without a faction change, Dark Jedi in particular make no sense. LS Sith can still be loyal to the Empire, though. A patriot is not necessarily evil.

Honestly, the only Republic toon that could make it as evil (or dark grey) is the Smuggler, since he's pretty much a freelancer anyhow.

Imo, the Trooper and Jedi would defect. They would see either more power in service to the Empire for Jedi. Or wealth and the freedom to accomplish his missions with a maximum of bloodshed and cruelty for Trooper.

It would seem to me that a LS Sith is a Jedi, and a DS Jedi is a Sith

Ohh, how are you wrong.. how wrong you are...

A LS Sith is NEVER = Jedi. Ever. Same goes for DS Jedi.

Also, would you really say that every single imperial is automatically evil and DS?

Edited by Mechavomit

It would seem to me that a LS Sith is a Jedi, and a DS Jedi is a Sith (don't even get me started on non-force users having LS/DS ratings).

LS/DS should NOT be a separate system from faction. It should determine faction. If I play as a dual light saber wielding ****** and my DS/LS is decidedly on the "Dark" side, I am Imperial/Sith. If, on the other hand, it is LS I am Republic/Jedi. How can Bioware possibly justify a Sith Warrior that is Light 5 and running around with "The Pure" title on?

Sith Empire and Republic aren't based on light side darkside, they are two separate political factions at war with one another. Sith is simply a title given to Imperial force users who get through their academy. The Jedi Order are a separate order that is allied with the republic. Therefore most force users on the Republic side are Jedi.

There are Jedi that go evil, fall victim to their emotion, anger whatever, and Sith that choose to go against their teaching of evil, domination, or power.

I don't know about the pure thing, but I know on one of my warrior quests:

One of the ancient sith in the tomb on dromand kaas was lightside, not necessarily all goodie goodie like a Jedi, but taught about goodness and such.

And honestly, I think in terms of sheer willpower, the Lightside sith may very well be the strongest of them all. While under that, a Dark Sith, and Light Jedi are about even, and a dark Jedi seems like that would be the weakest.

The light sith is someone who has gone against all odds to remain good, despite the influence of everything around them. They even hope to one day fix the empire (and as such, though they are lightside, yet still loyal to the Empire).

The darkside sith, is someone who effectively uses emotion and passion and power to make their self incredibly strong, while the lightside Jedi (a true one, not most of the spoiled brat Jedi I run into as enemies) is a defender of light and Justice, though I do believe some of the teachings of the Jedi order are flawed, as my thoughts on it are something like the things Jolee Bindo explains. supposedly Luke Skywalker's new Jedi order was supposed to be the true fully light order, and they had many changes, love and marriage was fully allowed... etc..

Though the darkside Jedi however.... seems to be a kid who didn't get his way and gets all butthurt and angry about it and decides to hurt everything. Basically it is someone who unlike the Dark Sith, who truly harnesses the power of their emotion, passions, whatever, the dark Jedi has simply fallen victim to their anger and emotion and therefore weakened by it.

Though for example, according to my interpretation of those, Anakin seemed more like simply a fallen jedi then a true sith lord.

I do wonder about the Jedi of this era though, as a sith warrior, I rarely run into honorable ones, usually a bunch of overzealous war birds, or arrogant spoiled *****s, or some psyco that is as evil as I am. Never see anyone that has that true hero aura about them like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and Yoda and Mace Windu. Of course the Jedi order of their era doesn't seem like as much of a joke as the Old Republic one seems like.

Not to mention the IA story where you have that Jedi actually using that mind control technology and even ordering you to kill innocent people at one point for the greater good.

Of course i get so sick of the line "YOU CAN'T KILL ME BECAUSE I AM A JEDI" "I AM A JEDI MASTER, YOU STAND NO CHANCE AGAINST ME" "YOU WILL NOT PASS BECAUSE I AM JEDI!!!" They all say it so much....Seriously?

at least Qui-gon had it right

Young Anakin: "No one can kill a Jedi!"

Qui-Gon: "I wish that were true"

EDIT and like the previous poster pointed out. Is some family living on an Imperial World who are official citizens of the Empire, but simply live out their lives working and such, are they evil?

Are the soldiers of the Republic that get so corrupted from war they get an intense bloodthirst and want to kill every Imperial that they see, are they light side?

Edited by CJ_SAX_MAN

Or wealth and the freedom to accomplish his missions with a maximum of bloodshed and cruelty for Trooper.

Yes, because the sith hierarchy and having to pay constant lip service to the emperor/any darth who asks it of you is clearly so much more appealing than exploiting the corruption that will inevitably exist in a political body as large and varied as the Republic.

There are plenty of very realistic examples of "dark" people on the republic side. In fact, some of the people that do defect to the empire do so because of the corruption and lack of integrity they see as being inherent to the structure of the republic.

Yes, because the sith hierarchy and having to pay constant lip service to the emperor/any darth who asks it of you is clearly so much more appealing than exploiting the corruption that will inevitably exist in a political body as large and varied as the Republic.

There are plenty of very realistic examples of "dark" people on the republic side. In fact, some of the people that do defect to the empire do so because of the corruption and lack of integrity they see as being inherent to the structure of the republic.

all very valid

Why is it included in the game? Because it's a proven great story building system and it's probably what BioWare games are best known for.

Basically you are over simplifying it. You view The Republic/Jedi as "good" and The Empire/Sith as "evil". Sith don't view themselves as evil. They view their philosophy as strong and correct, and the Jedi philosophy as weak and incorrect.

As far as a dark side Jedi, they would be fallen Jedi, not Sith. They would still be Republic. Maybe their animations should change to the DS ones I'll give you that. A character like Vader became Empire/Sith because he defected to that side, which we cant do in this game now. A LS Empire/Sith player is perfectly acceptable, it just means he's honorable and not a psycho killer.

And the non force users, it's no different then Paragon vs Renegade in Mass Effect. It's just this is Star Wars so they use LS/DS.

LS/DS should definitely NOT be tied to faction, but I would like to see a defection option and animation change added in the future.

Edited by Fredcat

I was actually very specific on the Freedom part. "The freedom to accomplish the mission with a maximum of bloodshed and cruelty." Considering that Imperial High Command values such things, it would be awesome for a DS Trooper. Also, Bounty Hunters in general, with a few exceptions, work exclusively for the Empire. Why? Because the Empire pays better.

I am not saying that dark troopers would never defect to the Empire for the reasons you described.

I am, however, arguing against the idea that you seem to be promoting that it is impossible for an immoral trooper to exist in the republic, or that any who do are idiots. There are plenty of reasons to be loyal to the republic but not espouse light side ideals. There are plenty of ways to hate the empire and make choices that are rabidly republic partisan to a dark side extreme. You certainly meet plenty of military people over all the various planets with various degrees of integrity and loyalty.

I do wonder about the Jedi of this era though, as a sith warrior, I rarely run into honorable ones, usually a bunch of overzealous war birds, or arrogant spoiled *****s, or some psyco that is as evil as I am. Never see anyone that has that true hero aura about them like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and Yoda and Mace Windu. Of course the Jedi order of their era doesn't seem like as much of a joke as the Old Republic one seems like.

Not to mention the IA story where you have that Jedi actually using that mind control technology and even ordering you to kill innocent people at one point for the greater good.

Of course i get so sick of the line "YOU CAN'T KILL ME BECAUSE I AM A JEDI" "I AM A JEDI MASTER, YOU STAND NO CHANCE AGAINST ME" "YOU WILL NOT PASS BECAUSE I AM JEDI!!!" They all say it so much....Seriously?

There is a very simple explanation for that: The Story needs bosses. So the Jedi have to fight, even if the Warrior doesn't want to. It's a little sad that this creates the imige of the Jedi many Empire players end up with.

When you play a Jedi class, you see that there is discussion about this among the Jedi. Some are really the "all Sith have to be destroyed"-type (council member: Master Kaeden), others are the "all Sith can be redeemed"-type (council member: Master Syo). The council as a whole and also Master Satele tend to agree with the latter.

You could of course say that the more militant are more likly to fight at the front line, so they are those the empire encounters the most.

For Sith Warrior chapter 1

There could be an explanation for the Jedi you encounter in SW chapter 1: Most of them are friend of Master Nomen Karr. Karr himself is a fallen Jedi, he just hides it until the Sith Warrior exposes him. Clearly he either influnced his friends to be more like him, or he chose his friends among like minded Jedi. The only Jedi in chapter 1 who isn't really linked to him is the onw on Alderaan. And he can be convinced not to fight.

If Bioware makes more PVE content to extend Class stories, I would like to see the option of being a Dark Jedi and becoming a SITH or Vice Versa.

Or at least the Jedi Knight storyline where you could become the emperor...why not set that up for the reality? Scourge forsaw it, let's make that happen in a further update.

I feel at times storywise, Dark and Lightside loses its potential.

I am not saying that dark troopers would never defect to the Empire for the reasons you described.

I am, however, arguing against the idea that you seem to be promoting that it is impossible for an immoral trooper to exist in the republic, or that any who do are idiots. There are plenty of reasons to be loyal to the republic but not espouse light side ideals. There are plenty of ways to hate the empire and make choices that are rabidly republic partisan to a dark side extreme. You certainly meet plenty of military people over all the various planets with various degrees of integrity and loyalty.

Because the Republic Brass would see it all on the Armor cam on every Republic Issue Trooper armor chestpiece (and even NON-Republic issue), and would court martial said Trooper. Probably sentencing him to life in prison. Or at the very least he would lose command of the squad and be reduced in rank for the first offense.

Because the Republic Brass would see it all on the Armor cam on every Republic Issue Trooper armor chestpiece (and even NON-Republic issue), and would court martial said Trooper. Probably sentencing him to life in prison. Or at the very least he would lose command of the squad and be reduced in rank for the first offense.

1. The trooper is special forces. I bet in the real world some special forces units are doing some nasty things, but they aren't published.

2. General Garza herself is more of a "get the job done at all costs"-generals and she commands the trooper. She will protect him vorm being court martialed too hard.

There is a very simple explanation for that: The Story needs bosses. So the Jedi have to fight, even if the Warrior doesn't want to. It's a little sad that this creates the imige of the Jedi many Empire players end up with.

When you play a Jedi class, you see that there is discussion about this among the Jedi. Some are really the "all Sith have to be destroyed"-type (council member: Master Kaeden), others are the "all Sith can be redeemed"-type (council member: Master Syo). The council as a whole and also Master Satele tend to agree with the latter.

You could of course say that the more militant are more likly to fight at the front line, so they are those the empire encounters the most.

For Sith Warrior chapter 1

There could be an explanation for the Jedi you encounter in SW chapter 1: Most of them are friend of Master Nomen Karr. Karr himself is a fallen Jedi, he just hides it until the Sith Warrior exposes him. Clearly he either influnced his friends to be more like him, or he chose his friends among like minded Jedi. The only Jedi in chapter 1 who isn't really linked to him is the onw on Alderaan. And he can be convinced not to fight.

Well you can also convince one of Nomen Karr's friends not to fight, leaving you just one to kill, but i took the route where I kill both of them. Which made it incredibly difficult because I was a level 28 at the time and they were level 32 elites. ( i was rushing the story to try to get Jaesa early)

See what? Extreme actions taken on behalf of the republic? Killing people that maybe they didn't HAVE to kill, but that killing certainly solved the problem, and prevented potential leaks?

It's not like the dark side options for a trooper are "murder 100 innocent people because you can, and then laugh sadistically." They're more of a "achieve a really important military objective at the cost of innocent civilian life" or "don't go out of your way to perform an unnecessary light side thing because it will waste time from the primary objective"

My trooper, who's mostly light side, has gotten told off for squandering resources on non-essential objectives, and gotten complimented on her efficiency when she took a dark side option.

Edited by septembersphinx

As for the faction switching, this is an MMO and making it that rampant would totally mess things up. I could see Bioware making a paid faction switch available where you can shift your character to the mirrored version of it, but other than that, it is too much.

Hell, General Garza herself gets on your case for taking the "light side" option a few times in the Trooper questline. She'd rack up more than a few DS points taking her "the mission is the No. 1 priority at all times" stance on the road.

See what? Extreme actions taken on behalf of the republic? Killing people that maybe they didn't HAVE to kill, but that killing certainly solved the problem, and prevented potential leaks?

It's not like the dark side options for a trooper are "murder 100 innocent people because you can, and then laugh sadistically." They're more of a "achieve a really important military objective at the cost of innocent civilian life" or "don't go out of your way to perform an unnecessary light side thing because it will waste time from the primary objective"

My trooper, who's mostly light side, has gotten told off for squandering resources on non-essential objectives, and gotten complimented on her efficiency when she took a dark side option.

Nothing quite so extreme that I've seen.... yet.

However, there is this one mission on Tatooine where the Trooper can basically force a woman to have sex against her will...

Last I checked, the Republic wasn't down with THAT R word.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Dark jedi are simply normal jedi who will do anything they can to save the republic even kill and murder- think Anikan before episode 3 he wasnt exactly a goodie during the war was he but he did it to save the republic and his friends.

the same can be said for troopers granted they are not darkside like the force senstatives think of htem for like paragon and renegade from mass effect.

same is said for good sith they are loyal to the empire but feel that the darkside will only lead to ruin so they hope to change it.

I played my BH as a LS, made perfect sense to me, it sorta gave two fingers to the Sith and showed them that I wasn't their tool but I was my own person, also Jedi can be "Dark" side without being completely corrupt.

Or are you suggesting EVERY Jedi and Soldier in the Republic Army would risk their life to safe other people etc? Didn't think so...

Nothing quite so extreme that I've seen.... yet.

However, there is this one mission on Tatooine where the Trooper can basically force a woman to have sex against her will...

Last I checked, the Republic wasn't down with THAT R word.

It's despicable, but even in the real world certain kinds of ****, particularly where the victim is somehow coerced into giving a semblance of assent, go completely unpunished. I don't know the details of what you're describing, but I could well believe the republic military would happily overlook it due to the effectiveness of the trooper in getting things done.

Would it cause some sort of scandal if it got public? Sure. But as we've seen, the military has plenty of higher ups with tarnished reputations, and enough political corruption that that sort of thing is probably not as uncommon as people would like to think.

DS/LS is a nice system, making dialog choices have some kind of extra effect. However, DS/LS doesnt really offer much currently, there needs to be more stuff than just relics that depend on DS/LS. Id like to see NPCs react to you differently depending whether you are DS or LS.

It's despicable, but even in the real world certain kinds of ****, particularly where the victim is somehow coerced into giving a semblance of assent, go completely unpunished. I don't know the details of what you're describing, but I could well believe the republic military would happily overlook it due to the effectiveness of the trooper in getting things done.

Would it cause some sort of scandal if it got public? Sure. But as we've seen, the military has plenty of higher ups with tarnished reputations, and enough political corruption that that sort of thing is probably not as uncommon as people would like to think.

The first Class mission on Tatooine after you report to the mayor, you have to go and kill some suicide bomber droids. After the fight is over, one of the ladies in the apartment complex says "We don't have anything to pay you with." and the trooper has a convo choice for an "alternate payment". Not even a [Flirt] prompt, but it leads to a rather heavy handed proposition and even a threat. Not strictly illegal, but definitely unethical and even if Havoc Squad is Special Forces, I'm pretty sure the Republic military has a very similar UCMJ as we do. He would at the very least be removed from command and receive disciplinary action. Only difference to the Repub UCMJ I've seen so far is a lack of fraternization regulations. That's not so big a deal, but in dealing with a civilian populace.... yeah.