Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good thing definitely. Only problem I foresee is that a guild of people who want to stay together happens to be on one of the origin servers. They allow us to move to a destination server for a day... two days... a week... whatever their timeframe is. But then that opportunity is limited in time and/or the destination server changes suddenly without warning and we still have half of our guild trying to transfer off the origin server or we have a couple integral members on vacation for the week and completely miss being able to transfer. Suddenly we either have to choose to keep the whole guild on a suddenly dead server or screw over a chunk of our guild members and leave without warning to them.

Like I said this transfer is definitely a very good thing and happy it is sooner then later. But not having some sort of guild transfer function could be problematic.

This is awesome, but I have one question. How would a server transfer effect legacy?

For example, I wanted to move my 2 level 50's, one of which actually started the legacy. Will my legacy levels and perks be effected on those two characters or is legacy tied to the server and not the originating character?

Now just the waiting game to find out if my server is getting the ax. If it is, I will personally hunt down and slaughter anyone with my primary's name and my guild's name on my new server. Their spleens shall be mine!

They kind of addressed it at the end when they said a lot of people will be looking to consolidate their characters on a single server and that may not be possible; but does anyone know if it will be possible to transfer from a high pop server (started 2 toons on Fatman b/c my server was dead) to one of the new destination servers that has another character of mine (basically I'm wondering if it will be possible to move my 2 toons from fatman to the same server as my main, where ever my main ends up)?

Or did I miss something and this is going to be a strictly they choose which origin servers move to which destination server (similar to merging several origin servers to a new already exiting destination server).

It'S pretty big deal for Guildmasters to inform guild members about transfer. We need to know the names of the servers to prepare guildmembers for it. Otherwise we will lose 50%+ guild members in process. And I'm surely not alone in this.

Great news. No matter what they do the "keeping guilds in tact" will always be the hardest thing. If they limit the transfer time from A-B and someones guild moves, but some people come on a few weeks later and no longer have the option to move to the server their guild moved to, This would be bad mmmmmkay. I would hope the window to move doesn't close.

What a huge, huge mistake Bioware is making. In the name of saving face they very well might be putting a couple more nails into this games proverbial coffin.

The correct solution is server merges which helps keep guilds together as well as whats left of the communities servers have developed. This limited pool transfer is going to be a disaster. What if friends that are on a break come back an are unable to meet up with the rest of the friends because there are no longer transfer to that server.

This whole solution to this issue is a microcosm of the inept decisions in design this game suffers from. I cant believe that the negative PR from server merges has forced their hands into this completely foolish decision.

What I thought would and could be such a positive event moving forward is turning into another in a long line of terrible self defeating choices by Bioware.

So when we will get to see a list of servers we can move to,

My toons on veela are sitting gathering dust while i play on Tomb of Freedom Nadd with friends, thats a US to EU move, will this be able to happen

Pretty much what I expected. =P

I was half hoping that the long awaited announcement would be because they did something new... similar to BNet's battletags that would require us to change our Legacy names... but alas.

Ah well, all by all, good news...

Excellent news. To be honest, as a person seeking to consolidate characters onto a single server, this may not actually solve my individual problems in the first wave, but it's a good start for the larger whole of population.

However, the blog seemed conspicuously silent on what the intent is with servers that are origin that end up practically dead. Do you actually intend to consolidate servers (i.e. close some)? The great unwashed may label this a sign of death, but frankly, TOR opened with too many in the first place. A round of consolidation would seem sensible at this point rather than desperate.

The reason that this new transfer service isn't going to work is because those new "destination" servers are just going to start having the same problems that current servers have. Popular servers are always going to be more populated and appealing than forced destination servers.

People will transfer to new "destinations", realize there still aren't enough people, then go back to the popular servers and reroll there. They can try to force us to make new popular servers, but it's gonna fail. That is why cross-server grouping works.

Anyway, done "whining" just because I was shocked again at them taking back what they said they would do. Yep, I am stupid and took them at their word...again. And don't worry, "community" people, this is the last time I'll bring up the dreaded "cross-server".

I think what BW is doing this week and into next week, is taking a hard look at the population of each server, which is why they aren't giving out specifics on what server is getting axed and so on. In doing so what they are planning to do, I think, is essentially merging several servers together with the same destination server....so for example Bondor crystal and Girda the hutt get the destination of Ajunta Pall, I didn't bother checking timezones or pvp settings, so three servers become one.....while avoiding that nasty term server merge.

Edited by Qishari
removed quoted content that was removed

It's completely unfair that I was forced to start a new character on a server and now I'm not going to be able to consolidate all of my characters on one server. I would like all of my alts on the same server so I can benefit from the legacy exp when I play them.

What a huge, huge mistake Bioware is making. In the name of saving face they very well might be putting a couple more nails into this games proverbial coffin.

The correct solution is server merges which helps keep guilds together as well as whats left of the communities servers have developed. This limited pool transfer is going to be a disaster. What if friends that are on a break come back an are unable to meet up with the rest of the friends because there are no longer transfer to that server.

This whole solution to this issue is a microcosm of the inept decisions in design this game suffers from. I cant believe that the negative PR from server merges has forced their hands into this completely foolish decision.

What I thought would and could be such a positive event moving forward is turning into another in a long line of terrible self defeating choices by Bioware.

Server merges would FORCE people to move.

Let's say I am on a medium or low pop server... but I like it. Then BW comes along and says 'hey, we are merging your server with another one. Unfortunately, your names have already been taken and you have to change them, along with your guild name. You have no choice in this matter.'

My response... /unsub.

I was under the impression that server transfers might not be the solution, as it was rumored that we may instead see an upgrade to mega-servers. I envisioned this as setting up the existing servers in parallel, and merging the populations of multiple servers into one larger virtual server.

Does this mean mega-servers aren't happening, or is that something that will be coming in a later phase?

Having to reform guilds and potentially losing your name is going to be a gamebreaker for many.

Honestly, what on earth can BW to to prevent this?

If you have to move to a new server than you run the risk of the name of your guild being taken.

They cant magically click a button and move your whole guild. Its up to the individual player. It wouldnt be fair if they just swooped in and stole you away to a new server because the Guild leader said they could.

Really happy this is happening! Good work guys

Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.

It isn't like it is that hard. All a GM has to do is move over his characters, leave an alt as GM, then put in a request to have the bank transferred.

8 of 20? and that's good?

I've got mostly bad experience with them.

I didn't need a live chat with the others. That would have been pointless, annoying, and bad. So yes, excellent, at knowing which ones to live chat and which ones not to.

I think what BW is doing this week and into next week, is taking a hard look at the population of each server, which is why they aren't giving out specifics on what server is getting axed and so on. In doing so what they are planning to do, I think, is essentially merging several servers together with the same destination server....so for example Bondor crystal and Girda the hutt get the destination of Ajunta Pall, I didn't bother checking timezones or pvp settings, so three servers become one.....while avoiding that nasty term server merge.

This is basically what I picture, I am interested to see how they will keep the guilds intact, if at all.

Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.

It's not that hard to move a guild.

You have to tell your members to move. BioWare wouldn't dream of moving a whole guildful of characters just because a guild master moves. The decision to move has to be up to the players.

You'll probably want to empty out your guild bank before you do this to ensure the items make the transit with you.

Once you have enough characters on the new server (4), you re-form the guild.

Then, if you had a guild bank on your old server, you contact customer service to get it back. (Good luck with that.)

It's not hard. It just requires a bit of planning and communication.

It wouldn't appear that any servers are "getting axed" as you put it.

They are simply going to encourage people to transfer off of the lower pop servers, they made it quite clear that you will not be forced to transfer which kind of implies that no servers are being shut down or merged and that no forced transfers will occur.

They aren't merging anything, anyone that thinks that servers are being shut down or merged should probably take a closer look at the actual article, because none of that is happening.

It should be happening, but it's not.