Retruning Sin

Saravok

Hey All,

Just came back to this game this past New years day from maybe an 8 or 9 month vaca (quit before server mergers) and was curious what the best/easiest way to gear is these days. I noticed they give you the tionese points to gear up but is there a similar feature for PvP? Looks like my old madness spec I used to level isn't quite optimal anymore? I enjoy a mix of PvP and PvE so trying to find a balanced spec now that can do fairly well in both. I am currently at work so i cannot watch Shin's vids or what not so any advice to re-acclimate myself to this game would be helpful.

Looks like they made things a lot more mod-able than when I left the game so I just feel like I have a lot of catching up to do on gearing and rotations/priorities and it almost makes me just want to log off again lol. I actually quit playing my sin shortly after hitting 50 to play my BH due to poor server population issues but now all my guys are on one packed server so I would love to get back into my Sin.

So with that said, should I just run WZ's til my eyes bleed to get badges/commendations for gear and mix in some PvE where necessary? People seem to be favoring deception spec (which will be new to me but I can adjust) for PvP, how does it fair in PvE?

Thanks in advance for the help and hate to ask but a lot has changed since I quit playing.

Hey All,

Just came back to this game this past New years day from maybe an 8 or 9 month vaca (quit before server mergers) and was curious what the best/easiest way to gear is these days. I noticed they give you the tionese points to gear up but is there a similar feature for PvP? Looks like my old madness spec I used to level isn't quite optimal anymore? I enjoy a mix of PvP and PvE so trying to find a balanced spec now that can do fairly well in both. I am currently at work so i cannot watch Shin's vids or what not so any advice to re-acclimate myself to this game would be helpful.

Looks like they made things a lot more mod-able than when I left the game so I just feel like I have a lot of catching up to do on gearing and rotations/priorities and it almost makes me just want to log off again lol. I actually quit playing my sin shortly after hitting 50 to play my BH due to poor server population issues but now all my guys are on one packed server so I would love to get back into my Sin.

So with that said, should I just run WZ's til my eyes bleed to get badges/commendations for gear and mix in some PvE where necessary? People seem to be favoring deception spec (which will be new to me but I can adjust) for PvP, how does it fair in PvE?

Thanks in advance for the help and hate to ask but a lot has changed since I quit playing.

Hey man welcome back. First off I do believe you get a set of 'recruit gear' now which comes with battlemaster implants. Recently they changed PVP around, battlemaster is essentially recruit gear, war hero is where bm was, and elite war hero is where War hero was.

So you can gear up quickly in war hero gear with regular comms, elite with ranked.

For PVP i play deception, and i can bring down someone 1v1 easy. Its my job to take out healers and range dps.

In PVE, i play deception or madness depending on the fight. Some favor more burst, others more sustained. To gear up, you can run the storymode ops (ec sm and tfb sm) and do the weekly HM EC/KP missions to get easy bh comms, i think doing those alone you get 45 bh comms (kill to the 2nd boss). Of course EC HM and TFB hm will gear u up quicker, and doing a ev/kp hardmode you can roll on rakata gear most dont need.

Augments are where its at for sure, stick to mainstat. If your synth or armormech etc, u can make the aug kits (get the recipe from your trainer). It costs 30k to add the augment slot to an item, and then slap your augment in.

You can grab a mission next to TFB and inside EC that will, when you beat the instance in either hm or storymode give you like 10 bh comms, 4 molecular stabalizers etc...stabs are the new end game mats to make 63's. And LOTS of people on the fleet can make everything. First thing you should do is save up enough stabs, get an orange belt / bracers, aug them and get yourself 2 63 armors and 2 63 willpower/ power mods

EDIT: If your a sub you get free respecs now, and if you buy the legacy free respec you can just switch around to w/e you want

Edited by nosmos

Thanks for the info! i did end up finding the PvP freebie gear now I just need to practice my skillz a bit and get back into the swing of things. I specced deception, copied one of Shin's posted specs, will probably play with a few more later. free re-specs = awesome!! lol

I'm just returning also with a lvl 36 Assassin and man do I feel lost. My goal when starting out was to try a melee class since I've always been ranged guy in previous MMOs. Is the Assassin as viable in PVE as say, a Maurader? I've heard conflicting opinions about both.

Also, I was previously heading up the Madness tree but would like to try Deception since it seems to offer a bit more burst and doesn't require as much management. Can someone point me a link to a good Deception spec?

And what's up with the free gear exactly? When I logged in I noticed I had Cartel coins and all that. Not sure about much else. Any basic level info people can throw my way would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance,

You can purchase adaptable gear through the cartel market with cartel coins, amongst other things. For instance, your light armor and there are lots of 'heavy' armor sets on the cartel market, adaptable - so you could wear heavy armor.

Sin DPS is just fine if you are good. My main previously was a marauder, and they are and have been the top DPS class - they are OP and have a billion cool downs. It's expected that marauders are top dps in MoX during raids, its also not impressive to see marauders top dps. However, on my SIN i routinely shut down marauders and powertechs in raids, I am often at the top of the dps chart, if not second or 3rd by a small percent. For a purely single target class, thats not bad. I enjoy being the underdog and being on top!

For deception in a raid environment you want something like this: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#2000MZfMrRkfbRroZf0c.2

Putting points in increased stealth is not really useful in a raid environment. Some people choose thrasing blades and electric execution instead of chain shock - I prefer the big extra shock over a 25 percent chance for that surging charge internal damage to occur every 4.5 seconds. Madness is really good as well, and requires more work because of procs and things to watch. Some fights are better with madness, some are better with deception

EDIT: The "Free gear" is what you ding 50, you get a pvp recruit set and a tionese pve set to help you get started in flashpoints and whatnot

Edited by nosmos

Personally, if you're fighting in Recruit gear for now, AVOID the deception build. You haven't got the power to do any damage or survivability right now.

I would use Xinka/Shinkara's excellent 23/1/17 or 23/3/15 build until you get some War Hero gear.

Use guard, the mind tricks etc to score extra medals - get to 8 and your in the decent WZ coms. Which, is the goal at this stage. using 23/1/17 gives you the chance to really offer some decent damage and holding. Watch her videos to see.

In terms of gear. AVOID getting an WH relic and go straight for EWH since you don't need to exchange like for like. Im really pleased that Bioware have closed the gear gap so keep grinding those WZ coms and you should have some good pvp gear within a few weeks.

Also, for Ear piece, Implants - DONT purchase EWH and stick with WH ones, they are better and offer good power stats.

Ideally you are looking for a crit of 25% unbuffed and 75% surge so look to say around those stats.