Scrapper + Gus vs Sawbones + Corso/Bowdarr/Akaavi

DosnaLampoon

I have a level 43 scoundrel atm that is stuck on Belsavis, while I'm playing alts. I have exclusively been specced sawbones with Corso as my constant companion. I'm considering investing in the field respec and fix up Gus' equipment for the last stretch to 50. I know scoundrel has got the worst dps at level 50, but how is for leveling? Scrapper + healer vs Sawbones + tank/dps - which one is faster, in your opinion? Edited by DosnaLampoon

I was scrapper to 35 when all of the sudden I couldn't kill gold level quest bosses, even with appropriate level item mods, gear and rotation, corso sucks balls. So I respecc'd to sawbones and broke the bank to gear out. tell me, how the hell do you play that spec? I can't find a rotation anywhere, and I find myself not able to kill anything anymore.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know because corso is absolutely horrible.

No class should get stuck at a planet all of the sudden because mobs got hard and the class isn't built to handle them.

Edited by gonlaz

I levelled to 35ish as scrapper with Corso. Just keep gear upto date and it's relatively straight forwards.

I noticed at the Hoth stage his HP was dropping a little to quickly and my downtime was increasing. I blasted through the class mission/story thing and got me Guss (at lvl 37 I think it was).

At lvl 37 scrapper really seemed to come into its own. It's been a complete breeze. I just stuck all my points into scrapper to get as far up the tree as I can and at 2/3 underdog I noticed a big difference. Nice one shotting standard mobs with shoot first and once u get the hang of the sucker punch thing its a hoot :)

Personally I havent found it especially difficult. However it seems alot of people dont persist with scoundrel I just guess the playstyle of them isnt for everybody.

Edited by Cruddas

I leveled my scoundrel all the way playing sawbones. I think it helps me alot in preparing for Higher end content to level in the spec you want to use the toon for in higher end content. Which is why I normally don't change spec's while I'm leveling. I think it really depends on your playstyle to which one you will like.

Normally while playing the sawbones spec your not really supposed to be DPS'ing your just healing your companion. Though on those tougher mobs I found myself actually having to stand behind the mobs to give Corso a little DPS boost. Using the occasional backblast and always re-applying Vital Shot to keep the bleed up constantly.

Of course the other thing to remember is the more ALT's you have and the more companions you have with maxed affection benefits your companions performance as well. For instance before playing my scoundrel I had 7 level 50's and 5 of them all had their companions at maxed affection, so for each companion that is technically the same roll as Corso provides a performance boost for Corso.

Which is why you've seen some of those videos where the companion is basically DPS'ing everything while the player is running around naked punching things in the face.

Edited by Raideag

I went a different route: slapped Corso's gear on Akaavi. I had heard all the hype and tried her early on, but with really bad gear apparently, so I wasn't impressed and promptly stashed her away. But with Corso's gear she's going through trash like nobody's business and elites are no problem with a fully specced sawbones to back her up.

May still go scrapper with Guss in the future, if I grow tired of healing. But for now, Corso got treated with the early retirement of a trophy husband. Slapped some low level gear on him just dress him and give him the fragile illusion of dignity.

I leveled to 40ish as Sawbones on my first Smuggler, using mostly Corso. Things started getting rough on Hoth, really became a challenge on Belsavis, and by Voss I was starting to reach areas where I was flatly stuck. I had similar spell in the mid-20s on Tattooine with Light Spring, and then again with the final fight of Act 1, and that time it became frustrating enough that I just rolled a new character and played Trooper.

After getting Trooper to 50 (on a more populated server) I tried my hand at Smuggler again. Call me entirely crazy, but this time, Riisha became my go-to companion. I went Sawbones again, but kept her hammering away at things so they died faster, and it was a huge improvement for leveling. Most of the Gold level encounters, I found that she could simply thin the trash so much faster than Corso or Bowdaar that the outmount of incoming healing ended up being fairly comparible, but with her burning down big-baddies so much faster. I tried Akaavi for a bit, but found I had better luck with Riisha because she and I shared the same type of gear. (Typically my best stuff actually went on her, and my own character wore the hand-me-downs).

This time upon reaching Hoth, I'm still mowing through everything without breaking a sweat. If things get dicey, I will definately give Gus a run, but I've decided that I hate the Healer + Tank Companion combo. Stuff takes too long to die, which makes it too taxing on the resources.

I leveled my scoundrel all the way playing sawbones. I think it helps me alot in preparing for Higher end content to level in the spec you want to use the toon for in higher end content. Which is why I normally don't change spec's while I'm leveling. I think it really depends on your playstyle to which one you will like.

This. I also levelled as sawbones, and it gave me a ton of experience for the endgame. It's quite slow at higher levels though. However, you just would not die. I finished Ilum storyline and all Ilum dailies at lvl48, including 2-manning Heroic 2+.

Edited by Lightning_