MMO Community against bullying.

Carambole

People will be people.

Unlike real life we have an ignore button here. Nothing else will be done unless you report them in game.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Is it just to ***** or do you have some suggestion for bioware to work towards? Please note I will report this thread for deletion like I am expected to do if it is the former just like any other rage thread.

I think the idea of this thread was to encourage people to report harassing behavior so as to improve the climate for everyone. Not just complaining for the sake of complaining but to lobby for people to use the tools already available to us to make the worlds of SW:TOR a better place. Why so quick to report a post?

What is an example of bullying online because what bothers me may not bother you and vice versa. I have a pretty strong personality so if some gets smart I'll back them down and if i see some one getting called out I'll usually defend them. I can't say I have been bullied online or maybe I have and did not know it. I was labeled as a ninja in wow on my server and didn't know that was going around and the bad part was I never ran any dungeons or raids till I eventually had too for a trinket I wanted. LOL I still to this day do not know where that came from ,oh well.

Last time I met a bully was last week. Two different FP's hours apart, same bully with two different characters. Created a ticket for abuse in the first FP. Reported him for abuse a dozen times in the second FP. CS did not respond to my ticked, it just got closed without any explanation. Haven't seen those two characters online since then.

I must admit it was both funny and sad reading what he was typing in hopes to provoke me to respond in kind. Pathetic attempts at trolling make me cry inside.

Hi, I wanted to know how you report bad behavior in chat like SEXISM and RACISM.

Lately I've witness several episodes of that crap, like this time on Korriban "women go to the kitchen".

Those ones really get me. On the other hand, when some insecure teenager insults out of the blue ... that's just hilarious.

Use the ? menu option (Customer service/ help) then the "request help tab.

Click the create ticket button and then select the appropriate category whether "report harassment" or "Inappropriate player behavior". Enter text about the incident including player name, etc.

Then click the create ticket button.

The game will then search the help documentation to see if a possible solution can be found and display some help text.

You must now click the submit ticket button at the bottom in order to actually submit the ticket.

Yes - it's a long onerous process :)

I think people need to toughen up and get over it. But that's just me.

more or less this there is a fine line at joking around and bullying i tend to think ppl are a bit to sensitive these days and if general chat is doing your head in just minimize it or switch it to a Tab where general chat is turned off

more or less this there is a fine line at joking around and bullying i tend to think ppl are a bit to sensitive these days and if general chat is doing your head in just minimize it or switch it to a Tab where general chat is turned off

more or less this

If you see anything offensive or ugly happening don't be 'to sensitive" - just put some distance between yourself and the incident.

In the online world this is known as "minimizing or switching tabs".

In the real world, this translates to if you see abuse - say a woman being told to stay in the kitchen - just walk into the next room and put your headphones on.

This is of course possible only if it isn't happening to you. If it's happening to you, then you can be sure everyone else is busy not being "to sensitive" and putting distance between themselves and what is happening to you so you should just put up and shut up and hope someone else is targeted next.

This way our society can improve tremendously - we get to turn a blind eye to what's going on and bullies and the truly offensive can flourish with impunity.

See no evil, hear no evil - isn't it a truly beautiful thing?

more or less this

If you see anything offensive or ugly happening don't be 'to sensitive" - just put some distance between yourself and the incident.

In the real world, this translates to if you see abuse - say a woman being told to stay in the kitchen - just walk into the next room and put your headphones on.

This is of course possible only if it isn't happening to you. If it's happening to you, then you can be sure everyone else is busy not being "to sensitive" and putting distance between themselves and what is happening to you so you should just put up and shut up and hope someone else is targeted next.

This way our society can improve tremendously - we get to turn a blind eye to what's going on and bullies and the truly offensive can flourish with impunity.

You make a point I have been trying to articulate for a while now. We should improve our society. Do people really think a hostile, pro-bully environment is an improvement over having compassion for people? I don't understand the resistance some people have to making the attempt to make the world a better place.

more or less this

I can appreciate your tongue in cheek comment here....and I agree completely.

This is my opinion about the "grow a thicker skin, welcome to the internet" crowd:

A) They resent the reminder that they have been completely desensitized by their prolonged existence in the safe anonymous bubble of online gaming, never so much as having a blip of conscience when others act like racist, misogynistic thugs, so they lash out at those of us who insist EVERYONE be accountable for their actions, or

B) they are the actual offenders that darken an online community with their presence and don't LIKE to be called out on their behavior, or

C) they are lazy and don't care...until THEY are on the receiving end of abuse.

I think the majority fall under the first and last categories.

A) They resent the reminder that they have been completely desensitized by their prolonged existence in the safe anonymous bubble of online gaming, never so much as having a blip of conscience when others act like racist, misogynistic thugs, so they lash out at those of us who insist EVERYONE be accountable for their actions, or

B) they are the actual offenders that darken an online community with their presence and don't LIKE to be called out on their behavior, or

C) they are lazy and don't care...until THEY are on the receiving end of abuse.

D) We have a thick skin in RL too and are quick to brush off any and all idiots that crave attention.

Edited by slafko

D) We have a thick skin in RL too and are quick to brush off any and all idiots that crave attention.

This proves my point. This attitude assumes that "Since I think this way, everyone must think this way."

Just because it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean the problem isn't real.